Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Which was the best allied army during the WWI ?

Default Re: Which was the best allied army during the WWI ?

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman View Post
    as for Austria Hungary they did very well in russia- and germany only sent equipment to help, like the maxi machine gun, other then that they both fought on almost equal standards, austria hungary managed to do well in italy like you said, but they also managed to hold off the russians who had far superior numbers near Bazat, which allowed the ottomans to attack russia from across the south and eventually with the 1917 revolution, russia was out of the war, freeing up alot of men for the western front.
    It was not so much that Austria had a bad military per se but that they were in all over their heads in a war they couldn't fight and fell victims to several blunders that cost them hundreds of thousands of men. They couldn't take Serbia out without German support, they were nearly overrun by Russia in Galicia several times, Russian offensives that were only stopped by massive German interventions. The only front they did well throughout was Italy, though Italy, like Austria, was equally in a war it was illequipped to fight as both countries were in industry, manpower or economy not en par with powers like Germany, France, Britain or even Russia.
    "Sebaceans once had a god called Djancaz-Bru. Six worlds prayed to her. They built her temples, conquered planets. And yet one day she rose up and destroyed all six worlds. And when the last warrior was dying, he said, 'We gave you everything, why did you destroy us?' And she looked down upon him and she whispered, 'Because I can.' "
    Mangalore Design

hellheaven1987's Avatar Comes Domesticorum

Quote Originally Posted by pannonian View Post
    It was Russia's infrastructure and doctrine of command that was primitive. Everyone else had adapted to professional officer corps, but bluebloods still ruled the roost in the Russian army. Railways were still sparse and inefficient, and would be so until they were expanded under Trotsky and later Stalin. But the individual soldier was as well equipped as they ever would be in the Russian army.
    Agree, which makes them a "peasant horde" with good equipment. Surprisingly, about 70% Russian NCO could not even read or write during WWI.

The most powerful at the start were the Germans, they got the jump on everyone. The best trained are the BEF (man for man) but are not only seriously lacking man power (120,000 Vs 5 million Germans) but are about to enter warfare where training simply doesn't count for that much.

Best Empire Regiment - Lancashires, there throughout the entire war, large assortment of VC's, many heroic acts that aren't easy to find because of course they're just another county regiment (not as easy to identify as the Anzacs or Canucks). Additionally, they fought in both Western and Middle Eastern (and others including Africa, Bulgaria, etc) theatres so get bonus points for beating the Huns and the Turks. Bunch of hard bastards by 1918, those that had survived. Infact they're the best of the lot, having read more.
    Last edited by TenkiSoratoti; May 19, 2007 at 08:06 PM.

hellheaven1987's Avatar Comes Domesticorum

BEF at the beginning was regular army of Britain, not draft, so it is understandable why they were fewer men than German, as I remember only four divisions in the begin of war.

However, the British regular army was probably the hard-core of Allies, since they were most experience (Boer War just finished not long ago).

Probably the Americans and then the British

Prince
    Growing Up In The Universe <- Check It Out !!!

The best trained are the BEF (man for man) but are not only seriously lacking man power (120,000 Vs 5 million Germans) but are about to enter warfare where training simply doesn't count for that much.
    i was gonna say BEF, there are reports from German officers that show the BEF were so well trained and firing their rifles so quickly and accurately that the germans were convinced they had machine guns

(and no i dont have a source it came from a history textbook at school)
    Sired by Niccolo Machiavelli
    Adopted by Ferrets54
    Father of secret basement children Boeing and Shyam Popat

shadepanther's Avatar Senator

Quote Originally Posted by Gary88 View Post
    i was gonna say BEF, there are reports from German officers that show the BEF were so well trained and firing their rifles so quickly and accurately that the germans were convinced they had machine guns

(and no i dont have a source it came from a history textbook at school)
    It is mentioned pretty much everywhere so it woukld count as common knowledge really.

I'd have to say the BEF in 1914 but the British in 1918 was just as good.

The Americans ignored tactics learnt by the British and French about how to advance over no mans land which caused a huge amount of unnecessary casulties

"I reject your reality and substitute my own!" -- Adam Savage, Mythbusters

Indefinitely Banned

Quote Originally Posted by IndianPrince View Post
    Probably the Americans and then the British

Prince
    Americans? Nah, they were largely equipped by Britain and France weren't they? Britain had the best ceratiinly, at the outbreak of war and also had the most vehicles

And Belgium they hold out against the Germans whole the war only holding a little piece of little Belgium and in the first weeks of the war the bad trained bad eqiupped belgian forces hold out against the germans on ther own with no help

Woad-Warrier's Avatar Vicarius

The British Empire (Canadians, Australians and New Zealanders )
    Last edited by Woad-Warrier; July 08, 2007 at 02:03 PM.

British Empire wins

they had a death star and everything
    Hammer & Sickle - Karacharovo

And I drank it strait down.

LSJ's Avatar Protector Domesticus

The Canadians were like Britain's 20th century Scots. They weren't the best of the best, but they didn't retreat and fought with ferocity. Unfortunately, like every other army in WWI, they were commanded to participate in futile charges over the top...
    I believe it was the Canadians staying put while being gassed at their posts that made the German commanders fear them: if the Germans charged too soon the Canadians would still be there, shooting at them. They had to wait for the gas to finish its job. Although sometimes the Canadians pissed on their handkerchiefs to keep alive, and what a suprise that was. You'd expect him to be dead or retreating, not standing at the MG post shooting at you while holding a smelly cloth sticking in his mouth.
    The Canadians would most likely lose in those circumstances, but it still makes quite a story to tell.

I think all armies sucked in WWI. Their tactics were dumb - running into enemy positions covered with trenches, barbed wire, bunkers, pillboxes, and mg posts... Its hard to tell which was the best when they all sucked, at least tactically.
    Although some good tactics came with the Commonwealth armies, like the creeping barrage. Very effective at keeping the enemy's heads down, and when they look up there's a horde of men jumping into their trenches.

Britain
    I have nothing against the womens movement. Especially when Im walking behind it.

wilpuri's Avatar It Gets Worse.

I'm going to give my vote to the Serbs, a race of warriors.

In World War I, Serbia had 1,264,000 casualties — 28% of its total population, and 58% of its male population.[3]
    The common culture of a tribe is a sign of its inner cohesion. But tribes are vanishing from the modern world, as are all forms of traditional society. Customs, practices, festivals, rituals and beliefs have acquired a flut and half-hearted quality which reflects our nomadic and rootless existence, predicated as we are on the global air-waves.

ROGER SCRUTON, Modern Culture

Captain Blackadder's Avatar A bastion of sanity

I would go with australia fought well in so many campiagns and realised that warfare needed to change good old monash. Plus you have to give credit to the country that preformed the last succsesful cav charge
    Patronised by happyho
    Patron of Thoragoros, Chilon
    Member of the Legion of Rahl

shadepanther's Avatar Senator

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Blackadder View Post
    Plus you have to give credit to the country that preformed the last succsesful cav charge
    If you saw a big :wub: ANZAC come at you on a horse, you would run too.

"I reject your reality and substitute my own!" -- Adam Savage, Mythbusters

Count of Montesano's Avatar Civitate

The American Expeditionary Force came into the war too late to really be called the best, although certain American regiments could certainly be considered among the best that fought in the war.

One of the finest American units was the all-African American 369th Infantry Regiment - which had the honor of being one of the only allied units to have never lost a foot of ground or suffered a member of the unit being captured.
    The "Harlem Hellfighters" spent 191 continuous days in combat (more than any other American unit and more than most British, German, and French units) and members of the 369th won more citations for bravery from both the American and French governments than almost any other allied unit. The Hellfighters even had a jazz ensemble and introduced jazz to Europe to boot.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harlem_Hellfighters

Unfortunately, African American leaders made a major push for equal rights after the war and the Klu Klux Klan feared that demands for civil rights would eventually lead to an armed rebellion of black WW I veterans. Despite their heroism in France, dozens of black soldiers were lynched or severely beaten for refusing to take off their uniforms when they returned home.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Blackadder View Post
    I would go with australia fought well in so many campiagns and realised that warfare needed to change good old monash. Plus you have to give credit to the country that preformed the last succsesful cav charge

Yep - the famous "cavalry" charge that won the Battle of Beersheba. Strictly speaking the Aussie Lighthorsemen were mounted infantry, but that day they won by charging Turkish trenches with bayonets drawn. The movie, The Lighthorsemen does a pretty good job of telling the story and is worth a look.

Apparently one British commander, on being told of the Australian victory, sniffed and said "Typical of the Australians to charge into a town with the word 'beer' in its name."

Sidus Preclarum's Avatar Honnête Homme.

Quote Originally Posted by shibbieNIS View Post
    Britain definitely. their expeditionary force of only 100 000 - yet very highly trained - helped foil the Schlieffen plan and ultimately save the Frenchs' asses.
    But in 1916 they had all but ceased to exist, and had been replaced by the green Kitchener's Army, while the French where veterans of 1 year of trench fighting . See Keegan: on the first day of the Somme, the sector could be divided in 3 sub-sectors: French infantry/French artillery= initial objectives achieved. British infantry/French artillery= some success. British infantry/british artillery: no sucess at all. The BEF had to relearn everything, the hard way.
    Which leads me to say that, it depends on the year considered. I wouldn't venture to say who was the better overall, it wouldn't be decent towards all those who died...

Darsh's Avatar Maréchal de l'Empire

During WWII

USA and Russia was the best and strongest allied because without them the WWII could be more longer.
    British Empire come in 2nd place they had excellent regiments but they were more a supporting force for the American soldiers than a strong force who could stop the Germans alone.

Légion étrangère : « Honneur et Fidélité »

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast