Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Which was the best allied army during the WWI ?

hellheaven1987's Avatar Comes Domesticorum

Default Re: Which was the best allied army during the WWI ?

That is true... without America's manpower Great Britain could barely launch two second fronts on Europe along... look at how many British participated in Normandy than American.

muhahahahaha
    portuguese the portuguese
    nationalism is good.

but it was the portugueses front that germans attack after that they lost the war

Well, the French and Serbians were overwhelmed; The Britsh had a good navy and technology but relied on levies of young men and were not exactly proffessional; America joined in later so it wasn't exactly ''fair''. I would say Russian, because they held against the Germans, Hungarians and (I thought they fought against the Russians as well) Ottomans. Of the Centrals, it was obviously Germany. They had a massive army, good technology, a fairly good navy and a good (but failed) strategy. The Hungarians were relatively weak for such a large empire and the Ottomans were much too weak. Mainly because they lost their elite-corps, the Jeni Cheri long ago and had to rely on German troops and weaponry.
    Quote Originally Posted by A.J.P. Taylor
    Peaceful agreement and government by consent are possible only on the basis of ideas common to all parties; and these ideas must spring from habit and from history. Once reason is introduced, every man, every class, every nation becomes a law unto itself; and the only right which reason understands is the right of the stronger. Reason formulates universal principles and is therefore intolerant: there can be only one rational society, one rational nation, ultimately one rational man. Decisions between rival reasons can be made only by force.

Quote Originally Posted by H.L Spieghel
    Is het niet hogelijk te verwonderen, en een recht beklaaglijke zaak, Heren, dat alhoewel onze algemene Dietse taal een onvermengde, sierlijke en verstandelijke spraak is, die zich ook zo wijd als enige talen des werelds verspreidt, en die in haar bevang veel rijken, vorstendommen en landen bevat, welke dagelijks zeer veel kloeke en hooggeleerde verstanden uitleveren, dat ze nochtans zo zwakkelijk opgeholpen en zo weinig met geleerdheid verrijkt en versiert wordt, tot een jammerlijk hinder en nadeel des volks?
    Quote Originally Posted by Miel Cools
    Als ik oud ben wil ik zingen,
    Oud ben maar nog niet verrot.
    Zoals oude bomen zingen,
    Voor Jan Lul of voor hun god.
    Ook een oude boom wil reizen,
    Bij een bries of bij een storm.
    Zelfs al zit zijn kruin vol luizen,
    Zelfs al zit zijn voet vol worm.
    Als ik oud ben wil ik zingen.

Cò am Fear am measg ant-sluaigh,
    A mhaireas buan gu bràth?
    Chan eil sinn uileadh ach air chuart,
    Mar dhìthein buaile fàs,
    Bheir siantannan na bliadhna sìos,
    'S nach tog a' ghrian an àird.

Quote Originally Posted by Jörg Friedrich
    When do I stop being a justified warrior? When I've killed a million bad civilians? When I've killed three million bad civilians? According to a warsimulation by the Pentagon in 1953 the entire area of Russia would've been reduced to ruins with 60 million casualties. All bad Russians. 60 million bad guys. By how many million ''bad'' casualties do I stop being a knight of justice? Isn't that the question those knights must ask themselves? If there's no-one left, and I remain as the only just one,

Then I'm God.
    Quote Originally Posted by Louis Napoleon III, Des Idees Napoleoniennes
    Governments have been established to aid society to overcome the obstacles which impede its march. Their forms have been varied according to the problems they have been called to cure, and according to character of the people they have ruled over. Their task never has been, and never will be easy, because the two contrary elements, of which our existence and the nature of society is composed, demand the employment of different means. In view of our divine essence, we need only liberty and work; in view of our mortal nature, we need for our direction a guide and a support. A government is not then, as a distinguished economist has said, a necessary ulcer; it is rather the beneficent motive power of all social organisation.

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfgang Held
    I walked into those baracks [of Buchenwald concentrationcamp], in which there were people on the three-layered bunkbeds. But only their eyes were alive. Emaciated, skinny figures, nothing more but skin and bones. One thinks that they are dead, because they did not move. Only the eyes. I started to cry. And then one of the prisoners came, stood by me for a while, put a hand on my shoulder and said to me, something that I will never forget: ''Tränen sind denn nicht genug, mein Junge,
    Tränen sind denn nicht genug.''

Jajem ssoref is m'n korew
    E goochem mit e wenk, e nar mit e shtomp
    Wer niks is, hot kawsones

Serbia deserves credit for fighting like lions at a tremendous disadvantage. No nation suffered more than Serbia in WWI. It's worth noting that after the Central Powers crushed Serbia, Field Marshal August von Mackensen erected a monument to the fallen Serbian soldiers and said, "We fought against an army that we have only heard about in fairy tales."

Overall, however, I would certainly have to say the British Empire. While British leadership bordered on terrible rather often, they introduced a large number of tactical and technical innovations which helped the Entente win the war. Additionally, as has been said many times in this thread, the dominion forces were superb--largely I believe because their generals were non-professional and not wedded to any military doctrine and simply tried to be effective.

I would say however that all of the Entente armies were a joke compared to the German army.

Baseball is the highest cultural achievement of human civilization.

Indefinitely Banned

Quote Originally Posted by hellheaven1987 View Post
    That is true... without America's manpower Great Britain could barely launch two second fronts on Europe along... look at how many British participated in Normandy than American.
    What? There were more British then Americans

Quote Originally Posted by The Super Pope View Post
    What? There were more British then Americans
    I mean World War II. Italy was British campaign for sure but Normandy and France... the British force participated in Normandy was nearly two-third of American force. Do not even count the American engaged another big front in Pacific nearly along.

Besides the French, who else fought as long during WWI than the British for the Allies?

Between the French and British, I'll side with the British because of the rigorous training standards its soldiers had to go through and as aforementioned, the speed and accuracy with which its soldiers could fire their rifles.

Best allied fighting force in WW1. Why the USMC of course
    I have nothing against the womens movement. Especially when Im walking behind it.

Soviets indeed had the great army that could rival the Nazi's powerful war machine ... proof are one of the bloodiest battles in man kind ... from Stalingrad to Kursk to Berlin itself ... when these 2 behemoths clashed it was taking no prisoners ... only blood !!!

Prince
    Growing Up In The Universe <- Check It Out !!!

Soviets indeed had the great army that could rival the Nazi's powerful war machine ... proof are one of the bloodiest battles in man kind ... from Stalingrad to Kursk to Berlin itself ... when these 2 behemoths clashed it was taking no prisoners ... only blood !!!
    Wrong war dude
    I have nothing against the womens movement. Especially when Im walking behind it.

shadepanther's Avatar Senator

I think quite a few people haven't caught on we are talking about WWI (1914-1918) not WWII (1939-1945)

"I reject your reality and substitute my own!" -- Adam Savage, Mythbusters

Warmaster's Avatar Miles

Quote Originally Posted by HunterKYA View Post
    Besides the French, who else fought as long during WWI than the British for the Allies?
    I'll list the allies/entente members for you:

Russia
    France
    British Empire
    USA
    Italy
    Serbia

Those were the main ones, anyway. But only Britain and France were on the allies for the entire war.

I dont see why Russia isnt getting much mention in this thread, they contributed a huge number of troops. Even if the troops were worse than the western allies on average they really do deserve mention because of sheer size.

Of the western allies it's pretty close. Early on France had a bigger contribution than the British because the BEF was pretty small. Towards the end of the war the British were better because they increased numbers and started to use better tactics. They also had tanks.

And as has been said, the reputation for the British dominion troops (Canada, ANZACs) also highlights that the British were pretty good.

Quote Originally Posted by Warmaster View Post
    I dont see why Russia isnt getting much mention in this thread, they contributed a huge number of troops. Even if the troops were worse than the western allies on average they really do deserve mention because of sheer size.
    Because they sucked. Germany used one Army (an elite one) to stop the Russian horde and they did it!

Warmaster's Avatar Miles

Quote Originally Posted by hellheaven1987 View Post
    Because they sucked. Germany used one Army (an elite one) to stop the Russian horde and they did it!
    Personally I think they did a pretty big part of the war effort. The Brusilov Offensive (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brusilov_Offensive) in particular was pretty impressive. They also dealt to the Austro-Hungarians largely by themselves (Italy was fighting a smaller fraction than Russia was), and killed a fair few Germans. Its a shame the revolution happened, because they would have been pretty damn helpful if they had kept on fighting.

But i'll agree that Britain was probably more effective than Russia...

Eat Meat Whale Meat
    Technical Staff Citizen Moderator Emeritus Administrator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Warmaster View Post
    Personally I think they did a pretty big part of the war effort. The Brusilov Offensive (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brusilov_Offensive) in particular was pretty impressive. They also dealt to the Austro-Hungarians largely by themselves (Italy was fighting a smaller fraction than Russia was), and killed a fair few Germans. Its a shame the revolution happened, because they would have been pretty damn helpful if they had kept on fighting.

But i'll agree that Britain was probably more effective than Russia...
    Russia had the best General on any side of the war, but their army was of abysmal quality. If Brusilov were CinC in the west, he'd have broken the western front and pushed the Germans back onto their home soil within 6 months of taking command. That he did what he did with what he had is one of the wonders of WW1.

Quote Originally Posted by pannonian View Post
    Russia had the best General on any side of the war, but their army was of abysmal quality. If Brusilov were CinC in the west, he'd have broken the western front and pushed the Germans back onto their home soil within 6 months of taking command. That he did what he did with what he had is one of the wonders of WW1.
    Russian armies were no worse equipped than western armies for most of the war, and often had better equipment than the Austro-Hungarian forces. The Brusilov Offensive was also stopped once the German sudarmee counter-attacked (it was still a brilliant achievement).

That said, besides some of the dominion generals (Monash, Currie), the Entente generals on the Western Front were garbage.

Eat Meat Whale Meat
    Technical Staff Citizen Moderator Emeritus Administrator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Daovonnaex View Post
    Russian armies were no worse equipped than western armies for most of the war, and often had better equipment than the Austro-Hungarian forces. The Brusilov Offensive was also stopped once the German sudarmee counter-attacked (it was still a brilliant achievement).

That said, besides some of the dominion generals (Monash, Currie), the Entente generals on the Western Front were garbage.
    Their command system was awful, their doctrine was awful, their infrastructure was awful. The French and Germans were refighting the war of 1870 with modern weapons, but the Russians were refighting the Napoleonic Wars.

Quote Originally Posted by Rush Limbaugh View Post
    Wrong war dude

WOOPS !!! MY BAD ... How embarrasing

Prince
    Growing Up In The Universe <- Check It Out !!!

Their command system was awful, their doctrine was awful, their infrastructure was awful. The French and Germans were refighting the war of 1870 with modern weapons, but the Russians were refighting the Napoleonic Wars.
    Mmm... I was surprised when I knew 70% Russian NCOs AND officers could not read and write words during World War I... No doubt why their commanding system would be backward.

I'm well aware of this--I was simply pointing out that Russian forces weren't equipped with spears or anything.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast