Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SPQR - My Roman AAR

Default SPQR - My Roman AAR

Ok, so IŽll start a new campaign with Patch 10 and IŽll play as Romans. This is just an intro, with the first chapter coming tomorrow... The year is the same as in the start of the Campaign. For historical/Gameplay balance IŽll use these "settings":

- Difficulties Medium/Medium
    - Only armies inside Towns to be Light infantry, each time I capture a city IŽll create a governor/proconsul and train 3-5 light infantry. Armies like Legions can only enter cities to be retrained, only Legion that may enter Latium is the Republican 1st Legion.

- There will be two consuls in my faction (faction leader - faction heir). Even if it isnŽt historically accurate (as consuls were elected each year) it is better to do this than to create an Early empire. Consular Legions will be VE I and VE II until Marian reforms. To be appointed consul the family member must be at least 35 years old and have 5 influence.

- All adoptions will be accepted for narrative sake.

Tomorrow IŽll post Chapter 1: The Roman Expansion in Italy.

Cheers mates
    Last edited by Conradgeneral; May 16, 2007 at 05:19 PM.

pseudocaesar's Avatar Campidoctor

Default Re: SPQR - My Roman AAR

try to do it on hard/hard or at least hard/medium. the game is so much funner that way!

Proud Roma Surrectum Team member.
    Local Moderator for Roma Surrectum forums. PM if you need help there.

Yeah, I'd recommend on at least H/H. I'm playing my Rome campaign on that level

Under patronage of Spirit of Rob; Patron of Century X, Pacco, Cherryfunk, Leif Erikson.

Doesn't the AI create huge packs in VH campaign? if not I might make my AAR VH/M... anyway, Chapter 1 will come in a few hours

dvk901's Avatar Consummatum est
    Patrician

I wouldn't recommend playing this mod on VH - anything, unless you have no life and a bottle of nitro pills by your side.

Like Tone, I am playing a Roman campaign on H\H, and I am REALLY taking my time making decisions and being careful. Building up your own infrastructure, cities, and trade before 'getting into it' with anyone, I think, is very important. Don't attack unless attacked.
    I'm playing with the BI Mod switch, and I've had cities beseiged by the Free People (both). Macedon has two or three (that I can see) powerful armies by Segesta just wiating for any sign of my weakness. There are at least 5 full stack Free People armies around Iuvavum that keep making skirmish attacks against my forts, and then running when I bring up my new VE Legions. Haven't figured out yet how I'm going to deal with them. Carthage and Free people are nerfing Iberia, and Carthage has full stack armies in the region next to Massilia (which I hold with 3 Legions guarding).
    I fear if I make one false move, I'll have 5 factions pounce on me so fast it won't be funny!!

Creator of: "Ecce, Roma Surrectum....Behold, Rome Arises!"
    R.I.P. My Beloved Father

So what would you recommend me, DVK? H/M?

Oops, I think I will create a new thread when I post Chapter 1, just to keep things clean

Quote Originally Posted by dvk901 View Post
    I wouldn't recommend playing this mod on VH - anything, unless you have no life and a bottle of nitro pills by your side.

Like Tone, I am playing a Roman campaign on H\H, and I am REALLY taking my time making decisions and being careful. Building up your own infrastructure, cities, and trade before 'getting into it' with anyone, I think, is very important. Don't attack unless attacked.
    I'm playing with the BI Mod switch, and I've had cities beseiged by the Free People (both). Macedon has two or three (that I can see) powerful armies by Segesta just wiating for any sign of my weakness. There are at least 5 full stack Free People armies around Iuvavum that keep making skirmish attacks against my forts, and then running when I bring up my new VE Legions. Haven't figured out yet how I'm going to deal with them. Carthage and Free people are nerfing Iberia, and Carthage has full stack armies in the region next to Massilia (which I hold with 3 Legions guarding).
    I fear if I make one false move, I'll have 5 factions pounce on me so fast it won't be funny!!
    Aw, for the sake of old times (and to your fun) IŽll play it on VH/VH. You will watch my triumph (or, if you are correct, DVK, my downfall ).

IŽll create another thread when the first chapter is ready. I donŽt think IŽll be able to post it tonight, but IŽll try to do it by sunday, ok? Been having to study for university tests (donŽt know how you call them there)...

Tankbuster's Avatar Analogy Nazi

Quote Originally Posted by dvk901 View Post

There is a BI mod switch???? You mean the BI.exe file you get when you install Barbarian Invasion? Dang, does that file make the AI smarter??

P.S. Good luck with your campaign btw
    The Sabbath was made for man, not man for the Sabbath
    --- Mark 2:27

Atheism is simply a way of clearing the space for better conservations.
    --- Sam Harris

aja5191's Avatar TWC Bearcat

BI runs on a different engine than RTW, so the AI reacts and behaves differently.

Quote Originally Posted by aja5191 View Post
    BI runs on a different engine than RTW, so the AI reacts and behaves differently.
    I see... I would like to try it. Now I have patch 10 installed with Roma Surrectum. Do I just install Barbarian Invasion right away, or do I have to delete everything and install RTW, then BI, then RS???

I hope that it is save compatible right?

--- Sam Harris

I take it you haven't got BI installed?

Under patronage of Spirit of Rob; Patron of Century X, Pacco, Cherryfunk, Leif Erikson.

Quote Originally Posted by tone View Post
    I take it you haven't got BI installed?
    Not yet, I have the necessary CD's though...

--- Sam Harris

Patrician

Quote Originally Posted by Tankbuster View Post
    There is a BI mod switch???? You mean the BI.exe file you get when you install Barbarian Invasion? Dang, does that file make the AI smarter??

P.S. Good luck with your campaign btw
    Yes, it does. Also, if you want to run RS on BI and save space, here's a trick you'll love. Install BI, then copy you're current RTW-Roma Surrectum data directory into '(your BI folder)\Data' directory. (NOT: 'your BI folder'\BI\Data')

Be very clear on this, if you don't understand, don't try it.

After you've copied RTW-RS\data into the data folder of BI, DELETE the BI directory...because BI doesn't work with Roma Surrectum installed anyway.
    Then add -nm -show_err to the BI.exe and BI will automatically run Roma Surrectum all the time.

Again, this is a 'saving space' option. Don't try it if you don't understand.

R.I.P. My Beloved Father

The Black Reaper's Avatar Hell's Gate

Quote Originally Posted by dvk901
    oh so your saying i have no life for playing a VH/H campaign on my AAR huh... guess im gonna need to go to the store and buy some nitro pills and break up with my girlfriend if i cant have a life.. lol jk but ive been playing RTW for a while and H/H is a bit easy in this and other mods so (campaign is easy but battles are formidable) so i force myself to do VH/H now cause its a real challenge because of constant stacks of men invading my kingdom!! FUN...

CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 965 @ 4.0 GHz | CPU Cooling: Coolermaster Hyper 212 + | Mobo: Asus m4a79xtd evo
    Ram: Corsair XMS3 2x4GB DDR3 1333 MHz | PSU: Antec Truepower 650W | GPU: Evga Geforce GTX 580

Under the Patronage of the Honorable Nicholas Rush

Angel's Avatar Angeal

Well im glad the battles are hard. Even I am surprised of how hard the slave armies are... alot of flanking, so much tactics.. .brain hurts.
    Under the patronage of Hader

Patrician

I have lost count of the VE Legions I've lost to the Free People in the pass leading to Ivavum (I think that's it's name.) I had one of the hard most crazy battles there I've ever had. Three of their armies attack three of mine....six armies in one battle!! My starting army had only 6 men left, one legionary, and the general and 4 bodyguards. I had to run them over to one of the allied armies and wait it out, helping the AI as best I could. My armies won, but what a mess. I think I made this Mod too hard for ME to play!

I've taken all of Sicily, and that's the only way I've had the cash to keeps pounding on all these Free People. Now Carthage is at war with me, the Free People, and Macedon has at least six stacks just waiting for an excuse to invade.

Count Flip, my hat's off to you. H\H is pressing my abilities...but I may have waited too long before smashing that dang city up there in Noricum. I feel like the Romans must've felt back when the Gauls were invading and sacking them....an endless stream of angry, nasty, powerful warriors pouncing on me every turn. This is all Angel's fault.

R.I.P. My Beloved Father

Thank you very much, DVK, I did what you explained and I got RS working on BI! I'm doing a campaign now with the Macedonians. It's 278 BC and I have almost destroyed the Greeks but I have evaded every free people region so far.
    You're making me really scared of these free people. I haven't fought them a single time as of yet. I'll suppose that I'll just pown them with my phalanx... How hard can it be (apparently very hard)

--- Sam Harris

No, DVK is just a wimp when it comes to real fighting!!!

I see, you know in the legions a coward was punished, by being beaten to death. And in a cowardly regiment, every tenth man was executed.

So tell me, is only dvk or the other Roma Surrectum team a coward? *takes the torture devices* muawhahahah

--- Sam Harris

Patrician

I can't believe you called me a wimp.....

R.I.P. My Beloved Father

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast