Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Faction List

sinople's Avatar These Romans are crazy!

Default Re: Faction List

Just a mistake in the first post :

We said Toulouse and not Touluse (I don't know what do you put in the game but Touluse never existed You can believe me i'm french)

Will you delete america ?

Trabuc's Avatar Laetus

About Aragon,

Personally I think it should be named Catalunya or Catalunha in his antique name.

Kingdom of Aragon joints the Catalan Region (it conserves the instituions) with the death of his last King Ramiro his daughter got married with the count of Barcelona (she was 2 years old ) and their son was the first catalan king of Aragon.
    Also Crown of Catalunha dissapeared with Felipe V in 1714. All texts refering to the Catalan Crown where changed to Aragonese Crown or Crown of Aragon. Actually the first written document with this name is dated in S. XVIII. Previously all write documents (not catalan) where refering to what you call Aragon as Catalunha or Catalan Kingdoms.

Other apreciation the coats of arms in Aragon during and berfore Ramiro is the blue cross with blue undergroung. After Ramiro (starting with Alfons I El cast) is underground gold with 4 red stripes.

I do not want to fight the hundreds of spanish books written after S XVIII, you choose but please either change the name to:
    CATALUNHA
    or
    ARAGONUM
    (Not Aragon which is the spanish name not the official language in that era)

Also please use the coat of arms gold with 4 red stripes. This is even accepted after S. XVIII

Thanks
    Last edited by Trabuc; September 28, 2007 at 04:51 AM.

Lord Condormanius's Avatar Artifex

Quote Originally Posted by Trabuc View Post
    About Aragon,

Personally I think it should be named Catalunya or Catalunha in his antique name.

Kingdom of Aragon joints the Catalan Region (it conserves the instituions) with the death of his last King Ramiro his daughter got married with the count of Barcelona (she was 2 years old ) and their son was the first catalan king of Aragon.
    Also Crown of Catalunha dissapeared with Felipe V in 1714. All texts refering to the Catalan Crown where changed to Aragonese Crown or Crown of Aragon. Actually the first written document with this name is dated in S. XVIII. Previously all write documents (not catalan) where refering to what you call Aragon as Catalunha or Catalan Kingdoms.

Other apreciation the coats of arms in Aragon during and berfore Ramiro is the blue cross with blue undergroung. After Ramiro (starting with Alfons I El cast) is underground gold with 4 red stripes.

I do not want to fight the hundreds of spanish books written after S XVIII, you choose but please either change the name to:
    CATALUNHA
    or
    ARAGONUM
    (Not Aragon which is the spanish name not the official language in that era)

Also please use the coat of arms gold with 4 red stripes. This is even accepted after S. XVIII

Thanks
    The game ends long before the 18th century. Reino de Aragón is the name we are using. It was far more significant during the period that the mod covers. Thank you for your concern.
    "There is a difference between what is wrong and what is evil. Evil is committed when clarity is taken away from what is clearly wrong, allowing wrong to be seen as less wrong, excusable, right, or an obligatory commandment of the Lord God Almighty.

Evil is bad sold as good, wrong sold as right, injustice sold as justice. Like the coat of a virus, a thin veil of right can disguise enormous wrong and confer an ability to infect others."
    -John G. Hartung

sinople's Avatar These Romans are crazy!

i think you've forgotten my question...

Quote Originally Posted by sinople View Post
    i think you've forgotten my question...
    Sorry, Pal. No, America is not going to be deleted.
    "There is a difference between what is wrong and what is evil. Evil is committed when clarity is taken away from what is clearly wrong, allowing wrong to be seen as less wrong, excusable, right, or an obligatory commandment of the Lord God Almighty.

Evil is bad sold as good, wrong sold as right, injustice sold as justice. Like the coat of a virus, a thin veil of right can disguise enormous wrong and confer an ability to infect others."
    -John G. Hartung

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Condormanius View Post
    Actually, these changes have been made...except for Scotland. In the mod, we have Alba, rather than Albann. I'll make a note of it.

if u need ne further irish language help just drop me a pm^^

I think The Irish faction is ready and we don't need any help, but thank you from the offer

@LC
    Two questions..

What's missing? Why we are not released yet?
    If the problem is anything with the map, you should give me a pm.
    I'm a pretty good mapper.. (atleast I think so )

Have you seen "The Frontier"-mod?
    If this guy has really created 22 new ground types, should we send him a pm and ask if he would want to give some of those to us too?

Wallahia faction!???

Quote Originally Posted by VLAD FELIX View Post
    Wallahia faction!???
    Sorry...but no.

-John G. Hartung

Quote Originally Posted by VLAD FELIX View Post
    Wallahia faction!???
    Where or what is Wallahia?! The bloke you are using for your avatar seems to be from Wallachia, but that is just a completely unrelated coincidence, yes?

Quote Originally Posted by Sabre657 View Post
    Where or what is Wallahia?! The bloke you are using for your avatar seems to be from Wallachia, but that is just a completely unrelated coincidence, yes?
    Wallachia is in the area of Bulgaria and Romania...where the Vampires come from. The bloke in the avatar is Dracula (Vlad the Impaler).

-John G. Hartung

Where or what is Wallahia?!...where the Vampires come from.ha ha... Wallachia (also spelled Walachia; Romanian: Ţara Românească or "The Romanian Land",is a historical and geographical region of Romania. It is situated north of the Danube and south of the Southern Carpathians. Wallachia is sometimes referred to as Muntenia, through identification with the larger of its two traditional sections; the smaller being Oltenia.The name Wallachia, generally not used by Romanians themselves (but present in some contexts as Valahia or Vlahia), is derived from the Valachs - a word of German origin also present as the Slavic Vlachs - used by foreigners in reference to Romanians (see also: History of the term Vlach). Vlachs/Romanians led by knyazes and voivodes - at first in Transylvania, then in the 12th-13th centuries in the territories east and south of the Carpathians.One of the first written evidence of local voivodes is in connection with Litovoi (1272), who ruled over land each side of the Carpathians (including Făgăraş in Transylvania), and refused to pay tribute to the Hungarian King Ladislaus IV. His successor was his brother Bărbat (1285-1288). The continuing weakening of the Hungarian state by further Mongol invasions (1285-1319) and the fall of the Árpád dynasty opened the way for the unification of Wallachian polities, and to independence from Hungarian rule.
    Wallachia's creation, held by local traditions to have been the work of one Radu Negru, is historically connected with Basarab I (1310-1352), who rebelled against Charles I of Hungary and took up rule on either side of the Olt River, establishing his residence in Câmpulung as the first ruler in the House of Basarab. Basarab refused to grant Hungary the lands of Făgăraş, Amlaş and the Banat of Severin, defeated Charles in the Battle of Posada (1330), and extended his lands to the east, to comprise lands as far as Kilia (in the Bujak, as the origin of Bessarabia)rule over the latter was not preserved by following princes, as Kilia fell to the Nogais ca.1334.
    Basarab was succeeded by Nicolae Alexandru, followed by Vladislav I. Vladislav attacked Transylvania after Louis I occupied lands south of the Danube, conceded to recognize him as overlord in 1368, but rebelled again in the same year; his rule also witnessed the first confrontation between Wallachia and the Ottoman Turks (a battle in which Vladislav was allied with Ivan Shishman of Bulgaria).Under Radu I and his successor Dan I, the realms in Transylvania and Severin continued to be disputed with Hungary.....Vampires or Dracula are storys for childrens!!!Dracula-Vlad III the Impaler (Vlad Ţepeş pronounced [ˈtsepeʃ]) in common Romanian reference; also known as Vlad Dracula or Vlad Drăculea and Kazıklı Voyvoda in Turkish; November or December, 1431 – December 1476) was Prince (voivode) of Wallachia, a former polity that is now part of Romania. His three reigns were in 1448, 1456–62, and 1476. In the English-speaking world, Vlad is best known for the exceedingly cruel punishments he imposed during his reign and for having a famous literary figure named after him; the vampire main character in Bram Stoker's 1897 novel, Dracula.His Romanian surname Drǎculea, is derived from his father's title Dracul, meaning affiliation to and/or descent from "Dracul" (see Vlad II Dracul); the latter was a member of the Order of the Dragon created by Emperor Sigismund. Vlad's family had two factions, the Drăculeşti and the Dăneşti. The word "dracul" means "the Devil" in modern Romanian but in Vlad's day also meant "dragon" or "demon", and derives from the Latin word Draco, also meaning "dragon".But let's return to our story. Vlad was the II'nd son of Vlad Dracul. He was born in Transilvania, at Sighisoara in 1430 while his father, an ex-lord of Wallahia was in exile. He spent his childhood in Transilvania until he followed his father who became once more Lord of wallahia. Meanwhile Vlad Dracul had 2 more sons: Radu "cel frumos" and Vlad "Calugarul" (the last names are nicknames->" the beautifull" and "the monk"). Being on a visit with his sons: vlad and Radu at Constantilopole Vlad Dracul was acused of being unfatefull to the sultan and kept as prisoners in a fortress in Anatolia mountaines. Later, the father is set free and returns to wallahia but he is assasinated. Vlad "the Impaler" manages to escapes and returns to wallahia too where he ocupies the throne with help from some aristocrats, but that for only one month because he is exiled first in Moldavia County and then In Transilvania (combined with Wallahia they form Romania). In 1456, the new lord of Wallahia, Iancu of the Hunedoara city defeats Mahomed II at Belgrad in July 21-23 but dies of plague. Vlad Tepes takes advantage of that and returns to Wallahia defeating the new lord: Vladislav II. Vlad Rulled Wallahia with autority but because he became lord without the Turkish agreement he searched for allyes. He helped Stefan The Great to become lord of Moldavia and supported Matei Corvin to become the king of Hungary (who ocupied Transilvania for centuries)

Vlad Tepes used severe measures against the aristocrats, he stimulated the development of trading, organised the army. His most used penalty was impaling but he was no crueler than the cruel century he lived in.

In 1462, after he faced the turks some times (refusing to pay the tribute, killing messagers, attaks in the douth of the Danube), Sultan Mahomed the conqurer (the conqurer of Constantinopole) Attacked wallahia.The Night Attack (Romanian: Atacul de noapte) was a skirmish fought between Vlad III Dracula of Wallachia and Mehmed II of the Ottoman Empire on 17 June 1462. The conflict initially started with Dracula's refusal to pay tribute to the Porte and elevated in size when Dracula invaded Bulgaria and impaled over 23,000 Turks and Bulgarians. Mehmed then raised a great army with the objective to conquer Wallachia and annex it to his empire. The two leaders fought a series of skirmishes, the most notable one being the Night Attack where Dracula attacked the Turkish camp in the night in an attempt to kill Mehmed. The assassination attempt failed and Mehmed marched to the Wallachian capital of Târgovişte where he witnessed another 20,000 impaled Turks and Bulgarians. Demoralised, the Sultan and his troops retreated. 1462 to 1463 Vlad crossed south of the Danube and devastated the area between Serbia and the Black Sea, leaving over 20,000 turks dead.The Battle of Vaslui Around 1475 Vlad the Impaler was again ready to make another bid for power. Vlad and voivode Stefan Báthory of Transylvania invaded Wallachia with a mixed force of Transylvanians, a few dissatisfied Wallachian boyars, and a contingent of Moldavians sent by Vlad's cousin, Prince Stephen III of Moldavia.The battle took place at Podul Înalt (the High Bridge), near the town of Vaslui, in Moldavia (now part of eastern Romania). The Ottoman troops numbered up to 120,000, facing about 40,000 Moldavian and Wallachian troops, plus smaller numbers of allied and mercenary troops.Stephen inflicted on the Ottomans a decisive defeat that has been described as "the greatest ever secured by the Cross against Islam," with casualties, according to Venetian and Polish records, reaching beyond minimum of 40,000 on the Ottoman side. Crusade of Varna,Vlad Dracul and Wallachians fight in the crusade against the Turks with Christian army consisting mainly of Hungarian and Polish forces, with smaller detachments of Czechs, papal knights, Germans, Bosnians, Croatians, Bulgarians, Lithuanians, and Ruthenians (Ukrainians), met with a numerically superior force of Ottoman Turks and their Serb allies.The Battle of Varna took place on November 10, 1444 near Varna in eastern Bulgaria.

Zephrelial's Avatar Eternal Sorrow
    An ancient castle on a steep windy mountain peak.. away from all mortal eyes...

I believe the main reason Wallachia is not included is due to the fact that it was founded in the 14th century,so it doesn't exactly fit the timeframe.If it were to be historically accurately portrayed unlike I did,it would have to be an emergant faction,which would render the whole faction unplayable.

And I think that's the reason LC rightfully cut it out,while deciding on which factions would take place within DOK.
    Shine on you crazy diamond...

Quote Originally Posted by HereticFang View Post
    We are not planning to expand the map.

@LC
    I agree with monkeyman about those aztecs. Who needs them anyway?
    We cold have 4 new provinces and one new Faction if we would remove them.
    Besides I have never seen in the game that AI would invade the Americas

We could add Sweden or the much requested Georgia to replace them.
    Or perhaps the Kievan Rus or Bohemia

-Heretic
    Yes!! add SWeden! Who cares about the Aztecs in the Grand Campaign? They don't do much since they can't get boats to visit Europe, so you might as well make them rebel. If you don't have Norway, then you must definitely get Sweden.

Not more factions are about to be made as Fra chickened out and left the team

Quote Originally Posted by HereticFang View Post
    Not more factions are about to be made as Fra chickened out and left the team
    Fra did a great deal of work on this mod. He left because he had to get on with things. Let's not besmirch the name of the guy who made a lot of the material we are presently working with.

As for other factions...

I have some more entirely complete factions that will be added at a later date, when I can get the balance right.

-John G. Hartung

I think the BIGGEST flaw in MTW2 is the number of factions. I understand that there is a limit, but it sort of ruins the game.
    In spain ALONE there were 5-6 Christian factions and Moorish Iberians (seperate from the African moors).

Italy.....pisa, alexandria and tons other were 100% independent (i know they are too small)

Balkans - serbia, croatia, bosnia, wallahia, bulgaria, moldova...

the biggest flaw is the muslim factions in the holy Lands... there need to be other Emirates to balance the Turks and Fatimids.

BUT HEY! good work on the mod. im not trying to lesson you but just speak my mind!
    cant wait to play!

take out wales and florence and put in Genoa and Lithuania they both played bigger roles than the other.

Quote Originally Posted by vikedude View Post
    take out wales and florence and put in Genoa and Lithuania they both played bigger roles than the other.
    Thanks, but we'll be doing the mod the way we want to. We have historians (yes real ones, rather than 13 year-olds who read Wikipedia and call themselves historians) who disagree with you. Furthermore, if you have a suggestion, please phrase it as a suggestion rather than a command.

Incidentally, Wales was removed however begrudgingly, from the list several months ago. Florence was never a definite faction. Genoa was mainly a naval power and, as such, are not easy to represent in this game. Lithuania? Please. They helped defeat the Teutonic Order...what else?
    Last edited by Lord Condormanius; May 26, 2008 at 09:12 PM.

-John G. Hartung

Campidoctor

Lithuania may not have been very important, but if you use the Lithuania mod they have some damn good skins. Also your response to the last guy who tried to make a suggestion(although it sounded like a demand) was slightly harsh, and I wouldn't be scarring away fans if I were you.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast