Thread: HRE infantry units

Default HRE infantry units

Is it just me or are most of the HRE's high level infantry units pretty useless? Dismounted Feudal Knights have better Total Defense than any other infantry unit, and only 1 pt less in Attack than Dismounted Gothic Knights and Zwei Handers. Dismounted Imperial Knights are inferior in both categories. So can someone please explain to me why I would want to bother recruiting any of these units over the Feudal Knights?

Default Re: HRE infantry units

You would definately have use for them b4 patch 1.2, but since the shield bug was fixed, most if not all 2 handed weapons are totally uncosteffective. Hopefully in the next SS eddition this will be fixed.

xxax's Avatar Senator

Dismounted Gothic Knights and Zwei Handers

If i remember correctly these two are "armour piercing" units (also both use 2 handed weapons). That means that the def value of the unit being attacked is reduced by half. I remember that before the 1.2. patch (or was it 1.1?) these two units killed anything in their path.

Do a custom battle between Dis Gothic and Feudal. Gothic should win...

Dismounted Gothic Knights vs Dismounted Feudal Knights (English, though it doesn't matter as they're the same for all factions I believe)

Very close. Out of about 10 battles, my Gothic Knights won 6 times I think. Every time I won with maybe 25 or less soldiers remaining.

Zwei Handers vs Dismounted Feudal Knights was a slaughter. Zwei Handers didn't stand a chance.

Dismounted Imperial Knights vs Dismounted Feudal Knights was closer, but my Imperial Knights lost every battle.

Considering you can almost recruit two units of Feudal Knights for one unit of Gothic Knights, just doesn't make sense.

xxax's Avatar Senator

Yes well the 2 handed units were made almost useless with the patches, althou those with "armour piercing" are excellent shock troops...

As for imperials... They are a bit cheaper, have "ap"...better shock troops...

Legione's Avatar Ordinarius

This may surprise some people, but as a HRE player, this is the most game-breaking thing so far for this game. Passive siege AI, yea it sucked but I worked around it. Cavalry vs. 2H axes? Mods fixed that. This? This sucks balls because this game is all about battles, and how am I going to work around my main forces being inefficient? There is no way to put a band aid over this, well there is, but goodbye mp, and I dunno about everyone else but I kinda like having all my units the correct way, or the way that was mean to be.

Edit: whoops didn't realize that this discussion was under the SS mod forum. My apologies.
    Last edited by Legione; May 16, 2007 at 05:37 PM.

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
    "Every man is his own ancestor, and every man is his own heir. He devises his own future, and he inherits his own past."