Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: CTD when trying to run Stainless 3.2

Default Crash to desktop with stainless steel

I downloaded and installed everything to the sega/medieval II total war folder, but when i start the game i see the start screen then it reverts back to desktop. any ideas? I have patch 1.2 and stainless steel 3.2

The Sweeper's Avatar Miles

Default Re: Crash to desktop with stainless steel

Did you do a clean install of M2 before you loaded up the official patch? There have been problems mentioned by alot of players who've just loaded the 1.2 patch onto the leaked one or 1.1.

Hi Forlorn Hope,

actually this sounds like the mod isn't installed in the correct folder...
    Make sure that you are pointing both installers (3.0 & 3.2) into the same folder: normally to ".../SEGA/Medieval II Total War".
    Note that the SS 3.0 installer points to ".../Medieval II Total War", unfortunately...

Also, as Nemesyss said you should apply the official patch over a clean installation of M2.
    I hope this will help you somehow...

Winner of 'Favorite M2TW Mod' and 'Favorite M2TW Modder' Award 2007 & 2008

Ok, ill uninstall, delete my m2 folder, then reinstall. Let's see if this works

Well, i reinstalled and i found that it ran fine when i clicked run stainless steel 3.0 directly after install, in the install wizard screen, but after that, when i click on the batch it takes me to the startup screen then reverts back to desktop. i have no idea why

heres my error log

19:44:20.296 [system.rpt] [always] CPU: SSE2
    19:44:20.296 [system.rpt] [always] ==== system log start, build date: Apr 23 2007 version bld-medieval2-update2-84 (37970) ===
    19:44:20.296 [system.io] [always] mounted pack packs/data_0.pack
    19:44:20.296 [system.io] [always] mounted pack packs/data_1.pack
    19:44:20.296 [system.io] [always] mounted pack packs/data_2.pack
    19:44:20.312 [system.io] [always] mounted pack packs/data_3.pack
    19:44:20.312 [system.io] [always] mounted pack packs/data_4.pack
    19:44:20.312 [system.io] [always] mounted pack packs/localized.pack
    19:44:20.312 [system.io] [warning] open: Stainless_Steel/data/text/menu_english.txt.strings.bin is missing
    19:44:20.312 [system.io] [warning] open: Stainless_Steel/data/text/menu_english.txt is missing
    19:44:20.328 [system.io] [warning] open: Stainless_Steel/data/text/diplomacy.txt.strings.bin is missing
    19:44:20.328 [system.io] [warning] open: Stainless_Steel/data/text/diplomacy.txt is missing
    19:44:20.328 [system.io] [warning] open: Stainless_Steel/data/text/diplomacy_speech.txt.strings.bin is missing
    19:44:20.328 [system.io] [warning] open: Stainless_Steel/data/text/diplomacy_speech.txt is missing
    19:44:20.328 [system.io] [warning] open: Stainless_Steel/data/text/missions.txt.strings.bin is missing
    19:44:20.328 [system.io] [warning] open: Stainless_Steel/data/text/missions.txt is missing
    19:44:20.328 [system.io] [warning] open: Stainless_Steel/data/text/shortcut.txt.strings.bin is missing
    19:44:20.343 [system.io] [warning] open: Stainless_Steel/data/text/shortcut.txt is missing
    19:44:22.062 [data.missing] [warning] missing/invalid cursor for ANISELECT
    19:44:22.078 [data.missing] [warning] missing/invalid cursor for MODIFIER_SABOTAGE
    19:44:22.078 [data.missing] [warning] missing/invalid cursor for MODIFIER_TRADE
    19:44:22.093 [data.missing] [warning] missing/invalid cursor for DRAGGABLE
    19:44:22.093 [data.missing] [warning] missing/invalid cursor for DRAGGING
    19:44:22.093 [data.missing] [warning] missing/invalid cursor for MODIFIER_MULTIPLE_SELECT
    19:44:22.093 [data.missing] [warning] missing/invalid cursor for MODIFIER_ATTACK
    19:44:22.093 [data.missing] [warning] missing/invalid cursor for MODIFIER_PLACE_CHARACTER
    19:44:22.093 [data.missing] [warning] missing/invalid cursor for MODIFIER_PLACE_RESOURCE
    19:44:22.093 [data.missing] [warning] missing/invalid cursor for MODIFIER_PLACE_FORT
    19:44:22.093 [data.missing] [warning] missing/invalid cursor for MODIFIER_MOVE_OBJECT
    19:44:22.093 [data.missing] [warning] missing/invalid cursor for MODIFIER_PLACE_WATCHTOWER
    19:44:22.093 [data.missing] [warning] missing/invalid cursor for MODIFIER_DEPLOYMENT_AREA
    19:44:22.093 [data.missing] [warning] missing/invalid cursor for MODIFIER_PLACE_TILE
    19:44:22.093 [data.missing] [warning] missing/invalid cursor for MODIFIER_PLACE_SPECIAL_PIECE
    19:44:22.093 [data.missing] [warning] missing/invalid cursor for MODIFIER_PAINT
    19:44:22.093 [data.missing] [warning] missing/invalid cursor for MODIFIER_ADJUST_HEIGHTS
    19:44:22.093 [data.missing] [warning] missing/invalid cursor for MODIFIER_ADD_UNIT
    19:44:22.093 [data.missing] [warning] missing/invalid cursor for MODIFIER_PLACE_SETTLEMENT
    19:44:22.625 [system.io] [warning] open: Stainless_Steel/data/text/religions.txt.strings.bin is missing
    19:44:22.625 [system.io] [warning] open: Stainless_Steel/data/text/religions.txt is missing
    19:44:22.625 [system.io] [warning] open: Stainless_Steel/data/text/climates.txt.strings.bin is missing
    19:44:22.625 [system.io] [warning] open: Stainless_Steel/data/text/climates.txt is missing
    19:44:22.687 [system.io] [warning] open: Stainless_Steel/data/text/event_titles.txt.strings.bin is missing
    19:44:22.687 [system.io] [warning] open: Stainless_Steel/data/text/event_titles.txt is missing
    19:44:22.687 [system.io] [warning] open: Stainless_Steel/data/text/event_strings.txt.strings.bin is missing
    19:44:22.718 [system.io] [warning] open: Stainless_Steel/data/text/event_strings.txt is missing
    19:44:23.593 [script.err] [error] Script Error in Stainless_Steel/data/export_descr_unit.txt, at line 3514, column 24
    stat_pri statistic refers to non-existant projectile type 'cav_bodkin_arrow'
    19:44:23.593 [script.err] [error] Script Error in Stainless_Steel/data/export_descr_unit.txt, at line 3514, column 24
    failed to read statistic for unit type 'Mounted Longbowmen'
    19:44:23.593 [data.invalid] [error] DATABASE_TABLE error found : error reading record from file Stainless_Steel/data/export_descr_unit.txt.

I delted a bunch of mounted archers and now it finds that there is no such thing as bodkin_arrow for longbowmen

Eastern Red's Avatar Semisalis

Hi King Kong,
    I spoke too soon on the compatibility of patch 3.1 saved games with patch 3.2 . I experienced battle screen hanging while loading upon pressing 'enter' button, the game ctd. I can still run the game by reloading but have to use computer generated battles. Prior to this ctd, I encountered blackout during a previous battle. I just hope that compatibility is the only reason and not a bug with patch 3.2 now that I have started a new game. So far so good with more than 20 turns. For the record, that ctd happened around 100 turns.
    I have faith in your mod that playability will encourage me to complete my campaign for the first time in several M2TW mods. Cheers!

THE BEGINNING OF A NEW ERA
    COURTESY OF LORD RAHL

ok, i got it to run now. i just reinstalled stainless steel 3.0 over 3.2 then installed 3.2 and it worked. odd

I've also have been CTD after installing this game. i did a clean refresh to 1.2 patch and download the mod but still crashes. i do have LTC2.3v on my comp if that could mess it up somehow.

Quote Originally Posted by King Kong View Post
    Hi Forlorn Hope,

actually this sounds like the mod isn't installed in the correct folder...
    Make sure that you are pointing both installers (3.0 & 3.2) into the same folder: normally to ".../SEGA/Medieval II Total War".
    Note that the SS 3.0 installer points to ".../Medieval II Total War", unfortunately...
    Also, as Nemesyss said you should apply the official patch over a clean installation of M2.
    I hope this will help you somehow...
    hi Forlone,

Look for the launcher for 3.0 it will be a C:\Program Files\Medieval II Total War as you can tell its wrong. Put in C:\Program Files\SEGA\Medieval II Total War It should be good. I was dicking around for 2 days then notice the launcher was wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Pachinko View Post
    hi Forlone,

Look for the launcher for 3.0 it will be a C:\Program Files\Medieval II Total War as you can tell its wrong. Put in C:\Program Files\SEGA\Medieval II Total War It should be good. I was dicking around for 2 days then notice the launcher was wrong.
    Hi,

I was recommended and I read some good reviews for this mod but unfortunately the installation wizard is spoiled and I can't run it without CTD on launching the game

I have installed SS 3.0 on correct path "C:\Program Files\SEGA\Medieval II Total War" and it works fine then. However as soon as I apply patch 3.2 on same directory ""C:\Program Files\SEGA\Medieval II Total War" it just crashes to desktop when I try to run it

I hope that someone can help 'cause I'm about to give up on trying the mod... cheers!
    Under the Patronage of Hadrian

Hi jegui,

well, a crash before the mod even starts has probably something to do with a wrong installation...
    Have you made sure that your M2 is actually in "program files" and not in "programs" or another directory?
    Otherwise, when you're sure that you choosed the right directory, I'm really a bit puzzled why it shouldn't work for you...:hmmm:

Hi jegui,

well, a crash before the mod even starts has probably something to do with a wrong installation...
    Have you made sure that your M2 is actually in "program files" and not in "programs" or another directory?
    Otherwise, when you're sure that you choosed the right directory, I'm really a bit puzzled why it shouldn't work for you...:hmmm:
    Well I'm not doing anything wrong I'm sure! I've installed it again and as soon as I run the patch file "Stainless_Steel_3[1].2_patchl" and point it to the correct folder "C:\Program Files\SEGA\Medieval II Total War" the mod gets corrupted

Something is wrong with that patch file and I have downloaded it twice from the link provided... the main mod file "Stainless_Steel_3[1].0" however works fine! very odd and frustrating

EDIT: this is the log produced... I'll try re-instaling again but it looks like the installer is not installing some of the files???

15:26:02.546 [system.rpt] [always] CPU: SSE2
    15:26:02.546 [system.rpt] [always] ==== system log start, build date: Mar 30 2007 version bld-medieval2-update2-80 (36762) ===
    15:26:02.562 [system.io] [always] mounted pack packs/data_0.pack
    15:26:02.562 [system.io] [always] mounted pack packs/data_1.pack
    15:26:02.562 [system.io] [always] mounted pack packs/data_2.pack
    15:26:02.562 [system.io] [always] mounted pack packs/data_3.pack
    15:26:02.562 [system.io] [always] mounted pack packs/data_4.pack
    15:26:02.562 [system.io] [always] mounted pack packs/localized.pack
    15:26:02.562 [system.io] [warning] open: Stainless_Steel/data/text/menu_english.txt.strings.bin is missing
    15:26:02.562 [system.io] [warning] open: Stainless_Steel/data/text/menu_english.txt is missing
    15:26:02.578 [system.io] [warning] open: Stainless_Steel/data/text/diplomacy.txt.strings.bin is missing
    15:26:02.578 [system.io] [warning] open: Stainless_Steel/data/text/diplomacy.txt is missing
    15:26:02.578 [system.io] [warning] open: Stainless_Steel/data/text/diplomacy_speech.txt.strings.bin is missing
    15:26:02.578 [system.io] [warning] open: Stainless_Steel/data/text/diplomacy_speech.txt is missing
    15:26:02.578 [system.io] [warning] open: Stainless_Steel/data/text/missions.txt.strings.bin is missing
    15:26:02.578 [system.io] [warning] open: Stainless_Steel/data/text/missions.txt is missing
    15:26:02.578 [system.io] [warning] open: Stainless_Steel/data/text/shortcut.txt.strings.bin is missing
    15:26:02.593 [system.io] [warning] open: Stainless_Steel/data/text/shortcut.txt is missing
    15:26:03.875 [data.missing] [warning] missing/invalid cursor for ANISELECT
    15:26:03.875 [data.missing] [warning] missing/invalid cursor for MODIFIER_SABOTAGE
    15:26:03.890 [data.missing] [warning] missing/invalid cursor for MODIFIER_TRADE
    15:26:03.906 [data.missing] [warning] missing/invalid cursor for DRAGGABLE
    15:26:03.906 [data.missing] [warning] missing/invalid cursor for DRAGGING
    15:26:03.906 [data.missing] [warning] missing/invalid cursor for MODIFIER_MULTIPLE_SELECT
    15:26:03.906 [data.missing] [warning] missing/invalid cursor for MODIFIER_ATTACK
    15:26:03.906 [data.missing] [warning] missing/invalid cursor for MODIFIER_PLACE_CHARACTER
    15:26:03.906 [data.missing] [warning] missing/invalid cursor for MODIFIER_PLACE_RESOURCE
    15:26:03.906 [data.missing] [warning] missing/invalid cursor for MODIFIER_PLACE_FORT
    15:26:03.906 [data.missing] [warning] missing/invalid cursor for MODIFIER_MOVE_OBJECT
    15:26:03.906 [data.missing] [warning] missing/invalid cursor for MODIFIER_PLACE_WATCHTOWER
    15:26:03.906 [data.missing] [warning] missing/invalid cursor for MODIFIER_DEPLOYMENT_AREA
    15:26:03.906 [data.missing] [warning] missing/invalid cursor for MODIFIER_PLACE_TILE
    15:26:03.906 [data.missing] [warning] missing/invalid cursor for MODIFIER_PLACE_SPECIAL_PIECE
    15:26:03.906 [data.missing] [warning] missing/invalid cursor for MODIFIER_PAINT
    15:26:03.906 [data.missing] [warning] missing/invalid cursor for MODIFIER_ADJUST_HEIGHTS
    15:26:03.906 [data.missing] [warning] missing/invalid cursor for MODIFIER_ADD_UNIT
    15:26:03.906 [data.missing] [warning] missing/invalid cursor for MODIFIER_PLACE_SETTLEMENT
    15:26:04.359 [system.io] [warning] open: Stainless_Steel/data/text/religions.txt.strings.bin is missing
    15:26:04.359 [system.io] [warning] open: Stainless_Steel/data/text/religions.txt is missing
    15:26:04.359 [system.io] [warning] open: Stainless_Steel/data/text/climates.txt.strings.bin is missing
    15:26:04.359 [system.io] [warning] open: Stainless_Steel/data/text/climates.txt is missing
    15:26:04.406 [system.io] [warning] open: Stainless_Steel/data/text/event_titles.txt.strings.bin is missing
    15:26:04.406 [system.io] [warning] open: Stainless_Steel/data/text/event_titles.txt is missing
    15:26:04.406 [system.io] [warning] open: Stainless_Steel/data/text/event_strings.txt.strings.bin is missing
    15:26:04.421 [system.io] [warning] open: Stainless_Steel/data/text/event_strings.txt is missing
    15:26:05.296 [system.rpt] [error] Medieval 2: Total War encountered an unspecified error and will now exit.
    Last edited by jegui; May 13, 2007 at 12:54 PM.

Any ideias KK??

I have just looked in the twor links for SS 3.0 stickied above and the files have different sizes... how come?? Maybe that's why I'm getting a bad installation... a corrupt file???

I'd love to try your mod with patch 3.2... cheers!!!

Hi jegui,

hmm... the system.log doesn't show any unusual messages... this are all "normal" warnings which are also in vanilla game.
    And that the files have different sizes is really a pretty strange, though I'm relatively sure that the file on filefront is working.
    Can you perhaps tell me what the exact sizes of these files are on your hard drive?
    However, I think I'll download the two files tomorrow and look if there could be a corrupted file...

Hi jegui,

hmm... the system.log doesn't show any unusual messages... this are all "normal" warnings which are also in vanilla game.
    And that the files have different sizes is really a pretty strange, though I'm relatively sure that the file on filefront is working.
    Can you perhaps tell me what the exact sizes of these files are on your hard drive?
    However, I think I'll download the two files tomorrow and look if there could be a corrupted file...
    1. Stainless_Steel_3[1].0 -> 188,914 KB
    2. Stainless_Steel_3[1].2_patchl -> 44,482 KB

Both were downloaded from 'Filefront'... The weird thing is that file 1 works fine and I can launch SS, however when I run file 2 and start SS it ctds and shows the log messages above :hm:

shouldn't they be pointed to the same directory ("C:\Program Files\SEGA\Medieval II Total War") ?
    Last edited by jegui; May 13, 2007 at 05:31 PM.

Hi jegui,

ah ok.. I thought you meant that SS 3.0 had different sizes on the 2 different mirrors (filefront/megaupload)...
    Well, the sizes of your files are correct, since the second file is just a patch for the first file.
    However, I don't get it why it doesn't work for you...
    Maybe, to be really 100% sure that the 3.2 patch is installed in the correct directory, make sure that the installer from 3.2 has asked you to overwrite some files and that you click yes.
    Unfortunately I have no other idea at the moment what could cause your problem.
    I hope you can get it to work somehow...

Hi jegui,

ah ok.. I thought you meant that SS 3.0 had different sizes on the 2 different mirrors (filefront/megaupload)...
    Well, the sizes of your files are correct, since the second file is just a patch for the first file.
    However, I don't get it why it doesn't work for you...
    Maybe, to be really 100% sure that the 3.2 patch is installed in the correct directory, make sure that the installer from 3.2 has asked you to overwrite some files and that you click yes.
    Unfortunately I have no other idea at the moment what could cause your problem.
    I hope you can get it to work somehow...
    Hi KK,

Yes that's correct! SS 3.0 file size is different in both Filefront and megaupload sites... check it out In megaupload I believe is 4000 KB smaller. Maybe I should use the smaller file :hm:

I'm 100% certain I'm installing patch 3.2 in the correct directory since it always asks to overwrite some files I even re-downloaded patch 3.2 and tried to install in separate directory and then copy the files accross... as oon as I do that SS crashes on launching :hm:

Do you think I need to install 3.1 first? do you have a link to that file... I'm really keen on playing this mod but this is somehow putting me off

Crul's Avatar Libertus

Quote Originally Posted by ForlornHope View Post
    ok, i got it to run now. i just reinstalled stainless steel 3.0 over 3.2 then installed 3.2 and it worked. odd
    I was having the same problem as ForlornHope (crash to desktop) so I followed what he did, and now SS works.

But I want to make sure that I have v3.2 installed and not v3.0

Anyone know how I can check that?
    "Cry 'Havoc!' and let slip the dogs of war" -- Julius Caesar

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast