Thread: AAR: Tide of Sicily

Ravenblade's Avatar Semisalis

Decided to do an AAR myself since ive been looking at all the other ones. First time ive done one of my own!

Playing on M/M difficulty as Syracuse

Chapter 1: Agathocles the Tyrant

In the mediterrain a new power in born again. Under the Tyranny of Agathocles of Sryacuse the city which protected Greek Sicily from the Carthaginian threat is once again under the rule of one man, and is once again set on the path to greatness.

Agathocles in his early years of power used the idea of “Syracusean protection” to enable him to safely establish his control over the city of Syracuse. Telling the people that the shadow of war was looming over Sicily again and the Carthaginians would not forget what Syracuse did in the past.

But after a few years this “Syracusean protection” was offered to the other Greek cities of Sicily and when they did not freely accept the offer it was enforced on them by the Syracusean army lead by Hiero of Syracuse, the son of the tyrant. Any resistance was crushed by force as the independent states of Sicily where swiftly drawn under the control of Syracusean and garrisons where imposed on them. But no action was taken against the Carthaginian settlements by Agathocles, instead an alliance was signed and trade agreements established but all the time the threat of Carthage was still to be seen on Sicily and this Agathocles knew was important to make sure the Greeks of Sicily would believe that “Syracusean protection” was needed.

Soon another threat appeared which was to play to Agathocles advantage. The empire of Rome was expanding in Italy and the Greek colony of Croton was soon to fall into there hands. Surely the Greeks of Sicily could not stand by while their cousins in Italy fell under the rule of these barbarian Romans? So once again the armies of Syracuse where on the march, under the control Agathocles himself. Croton was besieged and quickly fell to Agathocles but Roman reinforcements coming from the north arrived just in time to through the balance of the battle into the air, but the power of Sicilian hoplites was to much for the Romans and although Agathocles army lost a great number of men the victory was still his. Once again “Syracusean protection” was enforced on another independent Greek state. In reality though it was no such thing as protection, the people of Croton had just fallen under the rule of another rising empire.

Using the Roman conquest of Croton still further Agathocles declared that these Romans must be dealt with, there power destroyed Agathocles called up Hiero his son and his army who marched on the Roman settlement of Neapolis. During the assault on Neapolis the first Roman eagle was captured by Hiero and his men.

More armies where called up from Sicily and with Hiero and Agathocles at there head Roman settlement after Roman settlement fell to the power of Syracuse. Hiero tactics where the key to the amazing speed of the conquest, and he earned great renown in a few short years. The assault and capture of Rome was the major crowning glory for Agathocles as he watched the armies of Syracuse capture the city and forth Roman Eagle. As with all the Roman held settlements apart from Croton the population was enslaved and garrisons placed in them all.

Following the capture of Rome Hiero wasted no time on marching on Arretium but tragedy was to strick during the winter. As Agathocles marched his army to join his son he was taken from this world by death brought peacefully in his sleep at a night camp in the Etruria province south of Arretium. Thus ending the reign of Agathocles of Syracuse. His passing however did not free the people of Syracuse from the rule of tyranny as the armies stationed in Sicily was enough to discourage any thought of change so the control of Syracuse passed peacefully over to the hands of Hiero of Syracuse!

Chapter 2: Honour the Tyrant - 269BC

Two years after the death of his father Hiero had completed his conquest of the Roman empire but now the threat of war with Carthage had become real as the Carthaginians broke there alliance and made moves to blockade all the Sicilian ports under the control of Syracuse while Hiero was still fighting in Northern Italy. These blockades where quickly broken by the Syracusean navy and Peteerinos of Syracuse, son of Hiero quickly moved against Lilybaeum and broke the cities mighty defences before selling the population into Slavery.

So three years after his fathers death Hiero of Syracuse turns his attentions to Carthage and marchs his army back to Syracuse. On the road through Etruia he stops at the site of his father tomb to pay honour and plants a captured Roman eagle at each corner of the tomb.

While Hiero pays homage to his father the armies of Syracuse move quickly as the war with Carthage continues with Syracuse taking the war to the empire of Carthage as Koinos of Gela transports a small army by naval support to Aleria and lays siege to the city.

In Sicily the last remaining Carthaginian settlement it put under siege by the two armies of Hiero’s son. Paterinos lays siege to the eastern side of the settlement while Hiero’s youngest son Zeuxis, only 19 years old lays siege to the western side. The people of Panormus attempt to hold out for aid from Carthage but Hiero’s sons want to prove themselves to there father and waste no time in assaulting the city.

Zeuxis plans the assault using tactics taught to him by his father and at only 19 leads a full Syracusean army against the western defences of Panormus!

Zeuxis army prepares to assault the city walls!

Hoplites advance on the city

Zeuxis watchs over his men as the Syracusean marines open fire on the cities defenders inside the walls

Syracusean hoplites under Zeuxis are the first to enter the breached walls and engage the enemy!

Zeuxis enters Panormus with his Royal guards!

The combined forces of Zeuxis and Paterinos are to much for the defenders who cant face the weight of the hoplites as they advance through the streets. After hours of bitter street fighting the day is won for Zeuxis and Paterinos. This is how they pay homage to there grandfather!
    Last edited by tone; May 16, 2007 at 10:13 AM. Reason: double post

"Let thy speech be better than silence, or be silent" - Dionysius I of Syracuse
    "We're in the stickiest situation since Sticky the Stick Insect got stuck on a sticky bun" - Blackadder

pseudocaesar's Avatar Campidoctor

Default Re: AAR: Tide of Sicily

wow that was quick lol. rome gone! what the btw im loving all these new AAR's of the mod its awesome.

Proud Roma Surrectum Team member.
    Local Moderator for Roma Surrectum forums. PM if you need help there.

that was a little too quick for me i didnt really get much story from it but impressive expansion

Ah yeh i know chapter 1 covered alot but it was really just an introduction. The AAR really only started in chapter 2. What was covered in chapter one was already done before i decided to start this thats how come theres no screenshots. Will go alot slower pace from now on so it will. Plus i was in abit of a rush...only hit submit and then had to run out the door to get a train

"We're in the stickiest situation since Sticky the Stick Insect got stuck on a sticky bun" - Blackadder

The Black Reaper's Avatar Hell's Gate

no one plays on H/H or at least Vh/H (very hard campaign and hard campaign)... great AAR but it doesnt really impress me on how much you expanded in little time since M/M i think is to easy for campaigns..... but great AAR and keep up the great work just wish you went with a harder difficulty

CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 965 @ 4.0 GHz | CPU Cooling: Coolermaster Hyper 212 + | Mobo: Asus m4a79xtd evo
    Ram: Corsair XMS3 2x4GB DDR3 1333 MHz | PSU: Antec Truepower 650W | GPU: Evga Geforce GTX 580

Under the Patronage of the Honorable Nicholas Rush

Ah well i likely will have a go at a harder difficulty later at some point but i tend to play on M/M with a mod thats new to me for alittle while until i get to grips with it. And i hadnt played RTW in about 6 months until a few weeks ago so still abit rusty. But im having fun and its not a total cake walk either on M/M some of the battles have been in the balance thats for sure

aja5191's Avatar TWC Bearcat

I'm really loving this influx of new AARs here.

The Black Reaper's Avatar Hell's Gate

true true but earlier i was having a great battle between me (the gauls) and the free people.. it was a river battle but i was ambushed i easily set up my forces because each army was on the opposite ends of the river.... when the battle was almost over it CTD and i have no idea why..

CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 965 @ 4.0 GHz | CPU Cooling: Coolermaster Hyper 212 + | Mobo: Asus m4a79xtd evo
    Ram: Corsair XMS3 2x4GB DDR3 1333 MHz | PSU: Antec Truepower 650W | GPU: Evga Geforce GTX 580

Under the Patronage of the Honorable Nicholas Rush