Thread: [BI Crusades AAR] Call to Arms: Conflict in the Holy Land

Default [BI Crusades AAR] Call to Arms: Conflict in the Holy Land

This is imported from the RTR forums:

Call to Arms:

Conflict in the Holy Land

This is my new AAR for The Crusades, a complete modification for BI, by Caius and his team. This mod focuses on the Third Crusade, and the conquests of Saladin.

I will be playing as the Crusaders. I am playing this mainly because I can’t afford a better computer and therefore cannot play M2TW. The whole crusader idea is great as well.

Following basic house rules, yada yada yada, everyone knows the drill. Campaign to be played on H/M. This may seem quite soft, but trust me, this mod is hard!!

I will be making the first update/intro soon!
    Roma Surrectum - Beta Tester and Artist Co-Ordinator
    Under the Patronage of happyho

Default Re: Call to Arms: Conflict in the Holy Land

August - 1185 AD

Jerusalem

Baldwin knew that he was near death. For many years his body had fought with the malady that had been with him since birth. And now it had nearly lost, bringing him to the gates of death.

It did not matter anyway. He knew for now that this land was safe. But the Fatamids were ever present, waiting for the chance to strike. Those Arabs had troubled faithful Christians for as long as he could remember.

But it would trouble him no more. He was dead for this world, and happy in the knowledge that the Holy City had stayed in Christian hands while he had lived.

With his family around him, Baldwin closed his eyes, and passed into the Kingdom of Heaven

The Crusaders

With the fall of Jerusalem in 1187, Christians around the world pledged to regain the Holy City in the Name of God. Kings, Emperors and leaders led their armies deep into the Holy Land, to gain honour, and cleanse the realm of all heretics and Arabs.

One among these was Frederick Barbarossa. He had been Crowned Holy Roman Emperor in 1152, and was now on his way to the Cyprus. With him was his army of German knights and men-at-arms, all eager to do their part for all of Christendom. Although he was old, he was full of vigour.

Richard Plantagenet was another faithful Christian present here. He was an excellent tactician, and ultimately his goal was to bring the Fatamid ruler, Salah al-Din to his knees.

Guy of Lusignan was the current King of Jerusalem. He was wily, and extremely shrewd. He analysed everything, and he could only be bested in the field by his rival, Richard.

Philippe II was here with his companion, Richard the Lionheart, though they had gone different ways at Lyon. The fall of Jerusalem had distracted them both from their war in Europe, deciding on a common foe.

And lastly there was Conrad of Montferrat. First cousin to Frederick, Conrad was extremely defiant, and aggressive in all he stood for, including his faith.

And so began the war that raged in the Holy Land for years, taking the lives of many men. But will the Crusaders, so outnumbered and disadvantaged, triumph in the Name of the Lord, and claim this realm for themselves, or will Salah al-Din lead his men to victory?

February - 1187 AD

Antioch

In the main hall of Antioch, there was a heated argument under way. The topic: the decision to abandon Tyre and it’s surrounding principalities.

Only two weeks ago, Guy of Lusignan and Philippe II of France decided to leave the city for the Saracens. Guy tried to point out that they sacked Beiruit, Sidon and Gibelet along the way, but many, including Philippe himself, felt that this was the encouragement that the Saracens certainly did not need. As a result, Tyre had been taken, and it’s Christian occupants sold into slavery.

The pull north had not totally useless however. One of Salah al-Din’s personal Generals, Nu’man ibn Masud, was in charge of the Garrison at Gibelet, and the Crusaders knew it would be a blow for the Saracen army, as he was quite a senior and respected man with the Islamists.

Guy was under personal stress as well, as he had three very important guests. The Grand Masters of the Knightly orders were present, and he was eager to show that he was a worthy general. Of the Knights Templar there stood Gerard de Ridefort and for the Hospitallers there was Roger de Moulins. It was said that the Grand Masters answered only to the pope, and Guy was eager to please his powerful guests.

Although neither had spoken to anyone except themselves, Guy knew that the latest events would not have pleased them…

February 9 - 1187 AD

Western Cyprus - Colossi

Richard stood on the hill overlooking Colossi, the early morning sun shimmering of the Palestinian Sea. While his comrades were busy dealing with Saladin, Richard the Lionheart was determined to take Cyprus for England. His army had landed at Colossi, a small town on the Western Cyprus Coast, and had laid siege to it. It had not taken long for it’s inhabitants to run out of food, and the news spread through the army like wildfire: they were attempting to break the siege today.

He laughed out loud. How? His army was the easily the better, with mounted English knights and savage Norman axemen, along with some Templar crossbowmen that he had paid to join his army. With a little luck, and some English bravery, tomorrow the town would be theirs.

Suddenly there was movement in the streets. It had begun.

The Byzantine Rebels sally forth to attack the English army

He looked over his army, the red and gold banners swaying in the wind.

‘My comrades! Let us show these pathetic Byzantines for what they really are! The food of the lions! Go forth, and bring glory to your name and faith. For England! For God!

Richard the Lionheart

With a chorus of cheers and sledges at the enemy army, the Christians advanced toward the town.

The enemy captain, Rene, moved forward, and sounded the advance to his army. As both sides neared each other, the Byzantine archers and Templar crossbowmen began a deadly skirmish. But the combination of armour and piercing bolts soon had the archers decimated, and they began to destroy the enemy infantry.

Captain Rene trying to rally his men amidst a storm of crossbow bolts

Seeing the new threat, the Byzantine captain sent his Kataphraktoi forward, to meet the troublesome crossbowmen. But the brave English Knights charged forward, and lowered their lances, targeting the armoured Byzantine cavalry.

The English knights deliver a vicious charge

As the two sides met, the English militia on the right flank had been pinned down, and rapidly began to lose men. Instantly becoming frightened, some men began to falter, and one man threw down his spear and helm and fled in terror. Before Richard could rally them on, more men began eyeing the nearest exit with increasingly worried eyes, searching for an alternative to death.

Yet it was once again the Knights that saved the day. Thundering in behind the Cilician Men-at-arms, the knight’s lances skewered the full back line, puncturing the rest. The Byzantines fled, followed by the rest of the army. Rene, seeing the collapse of his men, was forced to retreat into the safety of the town streets.

Once more the knights come to the rescue

As he was leaving the battlefield, a stray bolt flew towards his unprotected back, and whistled into his right lung. He was flung forward, coughing up blood in agony. This made the rebels run even harder to escape the rain of death now flying openly around them.

A worthy adversary leaves this world...

With the bulk of the enemy force shattered, Richard let his men rest, their hard work done. After the Knights and their mounts were rested and watered, they plunged into the streets, tasked with the dirty work of finishing off any resistance in the town.

As they arrived in the centre, very few men challenged them, and it was all over in a quick charge.

Bad day to be Byzantine...

With Colossi captured, the captain of the English Knights blew his horn, and in the distance, the cheers of men could be heard. The town was theirs. The Knights joined in the revelry, for now the Crusaders had a foothold in Cyprus.

The English celebrate their victory

Richard decided to let the inhabitants be. He was much too chivalrous to let these people die for living under a tyrant. But he warned all that rebelliousness would not be tolerated, and swift justice would follow.

The Fate of Colossi: Occupation

February 13 - 1187 AD

The Saleph River - Eastern Anatolia

The German army lay in mourning over the loss of their King. Just three hours ago he had fallen from his horse, and presumably drowned. An attempt had been made to preserve his body, but many men were whispering desertion, and the army threatened to implode unless one man too control.

One man, Captain Gaston was determined to get the army to the Holy Land, and complete the Crusade, even without their King. It was lucky, perhaps, that he was the captain of the Teutonic Knights, and he held sway over the army. At dusk, he made his speech.

‘My fellow people of the Reich! We are still in mourning for the loss of our Emperor, the late Frederick I! But we cannot let this stand in our way! We have not walked all this way, only to disintegrate at the first taste of hardship, can we? Why must our dream die, just because our King did? The Holy City of Jerusalem still lies in the hands of nonbelievers, and we must strive to recapture it.

Follow me, and I shall lead us to the Holy Land, where we shall fight for Christ our saviour. Dare we let the French or even the English think that they are better than we? No, WE WILL RECAPTURE JERUSALEM! GOD WILLS IT!!!!

The chorus of shouts was deafening, and Gaston smiled. He had won his army, but now he must decide what to do with it. They had been marching for years, yet they were still far from Palestine. What they needed, were ships….

March - 1187 AD

Somewhere South-East of Erak

Guy and his army had been tailing the Saracen force for nearly two weeks now. The Saracen Noble leading the army, Mundhir, seemed to be in a hurry, and it was obvious why. The much larger Crusader force had been steadily falling behind in the heat, and the Saracens were eager to reach Erak and prepare for their coming.

This evening, the men dropped exhausted to the ground as usual. Guy looked about, gauging the atmosphere. It was not good. The steady pace of the Saracens had worn out the heavily armoured knights, and morale was low. What they needed was a good skirmish. Suddenly an idea came to Guy. He immediately gave the order for his men to rise. The chorus of angry shouts rose against him, but he silenced them. They were all going to get a morale boost…

The Latin crossbowmen stealthily surrounded the Saracen camp. The sentries had been neutralized thanks to Jean, Guy’s personal spy. Now as the Crusaders prepared to spring their trap, Guy gave the order, and the thrum of released crossbow skeins reverberated through the air.

Immediately havoc reigned in the Islamist camp. Guy’s knights rode in, sweeping with their long cavalry swords. The Christians began to laugh at the antics put on by their Arab adversaries. Guy smiled. Perfect. Now it was on to Erak.

March 9 - 1187 AD

Outskirts of Tartus, South-West of Erak

Philippe II of France and his companion Conrad had separated from Guy’s army at Tripoli, and now marched onwards toward Tartus, a small village on the coast.

“My dear Conrad, how do you propose we take this pathetic town?”

“Well, I imagine we should rush the walls and take it.”

Philippe’s ears turned red. Conrad was getting increasingly annoying. Just because he was his senior, Conrad had to put him down at every moment. Oh, it was always well hidden, but he knew it was there. Philippe was sick of it. He was the King of France for God’s sake! When they had taken Tartus, Philippe planned to do away with him, but for now he could only nod his agreement, and bide his time.

And so the French army marched on, to Tartus.

As they arrived, their best engineers immediately began construction of two giant towers with which to “storm the walls”, as Conrad had put it. Philippe, being French was still smarting about it.

He walked into the command tent, where his captains were being briefed on the capture plan of the town.

Among them were Captain Francois of the French Men-at-arms, and the famed captain Ennguerand of the Teutonic order. His men had seen much fighting here, and were regarded as the ‘veterans’ of the army.

At the podium stood Conrad, giving the brief.

“… from there we shall storm the walls (at the back, Philippe was fuming), and capture the city. Any questions? No? Good, you have your orders”

“Leave it to us, Sire.”

Captains Ennguerand and Francois stood and left.

Conrad looked to him with a smug smile, “Well, are you ready Philippe?”

“Oh yes Conrad, I am ready.”

He turned and left. “Oh yes, I am ready….”

The Town of Tartus is Assaulted

Surprisingly, there was no resistance on the walls, so both captains flanked each side of the gatehouse, running to capture it to let the main army in.

Ennguerands' Teutons rush to capture the gatehouse

With that task complete, they descended to the streets, where the fighting was already taking place between the desperate Saracens and invading Crusaders.

Captain Ennguerand and his men leat into action, heartening their comrades with acts of bravery and skill. The fighting steadily became more intense as Saracen reinforcements bulked up the force at the gates.

Captain Ennguerands' men giving the Saracens hell

From the southern end of the gate, Conrad and his knights had cornered the Saracen general, along with the remnants of his guard, the famed Sibyan al-Rikab. With almost gentle grace, the Saracens saw their generals standard fall, and as the screams of their dying general reached them, they halted, and started to flee back from whence they had come.

Another fallen foe

The French knights rode through the city, clearing away any sign of resistance. When the streets were clear, the knights slowed up, and began praising God for their victory.

The French praise the Lord in Victory

The Crusaders capture another Saracen city

March 24 - 1187 AD

Off the coast of Jerusalem

Gaston surveyed the shore from the rocking deck of the ship. They had been picked up by a passing merchant fleet, which had carried them this far. It was lucky they were container ships, and the merchants agreed to drop their load in exchange for the coins that Gaston offered them.

Now, as the Holy Land came into sight, zeal came into their heart. They were ready to risk their lives for the safety of the Holy City. Ready to die for their faith. Their God.

And thats as far as it got. Thanks for reading.

Il-Principe's Avatar Ordinarius

This is a very good start.
    I've never heard about this mod before though...

The Crusades

http://forums.totalrealism.net/forumdisplay.php?f=60

Is a great mod if you ever get time, Caius is very good. Give it a go.

Il-Principe's Avatar Ordinarius

I've tried it shortly and the mod looks promising.
    But the battle interface is changed, which irritates me a little bit. Is there any way to restore the old RTW interface?!

There should be a line in the preferences in the BI folder that looks like:

minimal_UI=TRUE.

Change TRUE to FALSE, that should do it.

Miles

Nice work - these are some of the best pictures I've seen online. There's a bit too much extraneous detail in the story, and maybe the "enemy general fallen" shots are not necessary, but well done overall!

Xavier Dragnesi's Avatar Esse quam videre

Nice AAR with good screens. Well done!

Maxinius Scipio's Avatar Decanus

This AAR is pretty good. Please update it soon!
    Gnaevs Theodosivs Festvs(49), Senator of Rome!
    Praefectus Praetorio Italiae
    Fallaces sunt rerum species. (Appearances are deceptive) - Seneca
    Titles Held: Senatore Romani, Eqves, Paters Familias, Praefectus
    Praetorio Italiae

Juvenal's Avatar love your noggin
    Patrician Content Emeritus

I never knew that the Crusades looked this good, those pictures are simply stunning.

I suspect from the quality of the textures that the Crusades won't be happy on my current video card (GeForce 6600GT with 128MB RAM). I certainly have problems with TIC which also contains the work of Caius Britannicus, because they increased the texture sizes - which uses more graphics RAM.

Did you encounter a CTD, or did you just run out of enthusiasm?
    imb39 ...is my daddy!
    See AARtistry in action: Spite of Severus and Severus the God

Support the MAARC!
    Tale of the Week Needs You!