Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: BROKEN CRESCENT: Faction Tips and Strategies

Default Re: BROKEN CRESCENT: Faction Tips and Strategies

wait.... so will the mongols be playable?! Cuz I relly want to play as the mogols

Anybody got a list of all these script-happenings and historical events? It could be quite handy....

for the Makurian request for advice; I've just about finished an enjoyable campaign with them for the first time after trying almost every other faction and I found out the following-
    1 get alliances with all the christian factions but don't attack
    the Ayyubids right away; in fact get trade rights with them to
    boost your economy
    2 bypass rebel castles & fortresses until you have troops to
    spare & attack towns(which produce money via trade) ; rebels
    don't seem to attack your weak towns
    3 Religion is a another reason to expand slowly as most conquered
    regions will not be christian; as intended, the developers have
    made conversion a long process which needs time and at least
    Abbey level buildings
    4 As in all BC campaigns, mercenaries are very good value(camel
    archers in Aden, Zanj in the south( and usually have good experience although not many are available in Egypt
    5 The javelin is the great equaliser against better armoured foes
    be it from horse or foot

hope this helps

"There is a rich irony in that the stalwart defenders of India against the latest invaders were once like the very invaders they do battle with. The Rajput Clans originate with the mixing of Iranian Nomads like the Kushans and Saka with the Hepthalite Huns, and have become the strongest of all the Indian Kingdoms. Yet in their martial pride lies a feudalism which has dotted the landscape of Northern India in divided Kingdoms and Clans. Broken Crescent has chosen to depict not a specific Rajput Kingdom but rather the Rajput States, starting off as an individual one but coming to unite these divided warrior clans into a Rajput Confederacy."

I think you rushed the rajputs info. They did not desend from Sakas,Huns,Kushans(which are not Iranian nomads BTW). I dont understand how you can say Its the strongest Indian Kingdom because they never were unified or cared for the other rajput clans. The Maryun and Mughals are the strongest Indian Kingdom. Rajputs didnt have time to get to the height of those Kingdoms. They were just warrior clans that was layed out all over north India.

teh.frickin.pope's Avatar Senator

Quote Originally Posted by bengalg3 View Post
    snip

Quote Originally Posted by wikipedia
    The Sakas or Sacae were a population of ancient Iranian[1] nomadic tribes in Central Asia who spoke an Eastern Iranian language.[2][3][4]
    Also, I believe the Mughals were quite a few years later.

Broken Crescent, Its Frickin Awesome! Sig by Atterdag +rep
    Stop Uwe Boll!

Quote Originally Posted by Col. Blood View Post
    I found that as the Rajputs, If you line up your elephants (any ole "cheap" ones) in front with infantry immidiately behind, and archers on the wingsyou can cause a mass rout from thwe enemy by:
    1: first allow the enemy to charge towards your elephants. Right before their tired infantry hit your lines;
    2: Charge your infantry , then your elephants (in immidiate succession). You must tell your elephants to consistantly move forward and not stop to attack the enemy.

The result is that the elephants will trample and knock down their charging troops, negating the charge bonus; also if you timed it correctly, your infantry will reach the enemy just before their troops are back on their feet. With their formations broken and infiltrated by your troops, they will only take a few casualties before they start running. The only units that wont run are Ghazis or Ghulams. Simply have the elephants (who are behind the enemy at this point) charge back into the fray. Start up the blender and run until the enemy has a smooth texture.

Note: if the enemy has elephants as well, simply sacrifice a few infantry units for the cheap tribal javelin cav. They seem to kill off elephants rather fast.
    i need to try that with my dalaymi/ghulam and khurasani death squad.

@teh.frickin.pope. - Indeed they were. Founded by Babur, a descendant from Timur.

Does anyone notice that the Ayyubids (when you're KoJ) love to send their full stack from Damascus to take Antioch? I find it humorous--here I am, building up Papal Support buildings just in case of a full-blown invasion, and they completely ignore me. So, after Baalbeck, I go straight for the throat--Damascus proper. After sacking it, their empire is now in two, and easy access to Homs and Hama. Everytime I play, they lose most of their stack taking Antioch, so all they can do is sit and wait. Once Homs is taken, its pretty much game-over from then on. Also, I love the full stacks of levy troops sent against my horse-heavy KoJ armies. I love seeing over half the enemy army die in one charge.
    "...most cases of death were mild to moderate..."

!bump

Vardan the Great's Avatar Campidoctor

Good description of factions in 1 page!!!
    "An unexpected death is a death, an intended death - immortality"
    (c) Vardan Sparapet, before the Battle of Avarayr

When do the Mongols arrive on the scene?

Nice!!!

nhinhonhinho's Avatar Domesticus

Is any advice for Georgia? I'm being surrounded by horse archer form all side

Gerald The Herald's Avatar Biarchus
    Republic of Wookieland,somewhere far away in the Galaxy

Playing as Armenia, I'm having trouble expanding into the Levant and the east. Basically, I've created a defensive ring to protect my economic production centres by seizing several turkish strongholds and establishing blockades to deny the pass entries to them. However, this has forced me to detail a large amount of military troops to just garrisoning the towns and passes *to deter Turk aggression and keep public order up*, seeing as how my Roman allies don't seem to be making much headway into Anatolia ( I don't particularly trust them anyway; they're bound to attack me after the turks). While I've taken Antioch, Jerusalem, my loyal catholic buddy, is virtually getting raped by the Ayyubids, despite the best efforts of Barbarossa and Richard . Although this would be a perfect opportunity to seize the recently captured egyptian towns along the levant, I can't even hold on to Antioch's population, let alone expand southwards down the levant. If I don't consolidate, I could face a 2-front war with the Turks and Ayyubids, something I prolly won't enjoy. The turks have adamantly refused any and all peace offers whilst Saladin and his gang're are gradually increasing the frequency and severity of their death threats to me . With the Romans bogged down in Anatolia, Georgia hard pressed trying to fend off the Kypchak cannibals and Great Seljuks, Jerusalem being overrun and my own forces stretched to the breaking point, I'm up for any suggestions. I've considered getting Makuria to join the 'Christian Crusaders BFF club', but they're content to dance around their villages while the rest of Christendom struggles against all these Muslim powers.
    Last edited by Gerald The Herald; June 20, 2010 at 12:37 AM.

No change in the balance of political parties can alter the general determination that no class should be excluded from contributing to and sharing responsibility for the state. - Gustav Stresemann

Quote Originally Posted by nhinhonhinho View Post
    Bribe the out of everyone. Ally with the Romans willingly and pay the Kypchaks to like you. Cultivate a friendship with the Abbassids using cash. I was able to bankroll their war effort, which resulted in crushing the Seljuks entirely. Now I am left with no one to fight, really, but I fought a lot of good battles against the Turks. With three neighbors, you could use any variation of the two bribed allies and one enemy strategy.

Use your own heavy horse archers to your advantage. It also helps to grab Ani and Dvin with your starting army asap, then disband it so you can grow an economy. You have no determined enemies early on.

Gerard: I think small Christian nations have to swallow their pride in order to survive. Succeeding as Georgia took me three tries. Have you considered focusing on economy early on so you can send tribute to the Ayyubids every turn? Jerusalem is lost, otherwise no crusades would be necessary. During that process you could probably recruit mercenary armies to march far afield and take rebel towns in Old Armenia or western Anatolia that you can't defend, and give them to Georgia and Rome to strengthen and appease them. Then disband the conquering armies quickly. In my game, Rome has been best of friends with its Christian neighbors.

I find that once relations reach Terrible and Abysmal, no amount of money or gifts of land will dissuade an enemy, so the key is to avoid war. Whenever I see a neutral force approaching, I pay pre-emptive tribute.
    Last edited by Maturin y Domanova; June 20, 2010 at 01:55 PM.

God why does every faction start out with such a crappy economy? i mean, nobody is gaining money after a few turns. As the Ghaznavids, after 3 turns i have -88 dinarii

wudang_clown's Avatar Fire Is Inspirational

I don't think it's crappy.

Your statement is very general. Because of its generality it seems that you are just spending more money that you get each turn or/and you are recruiting units without keeping an eye on your upkeep capabilities.

Is this correct?

Under the patronage of m_1512

Quote Originally Posted by Hagu View Post
    God why does every faction start out with such a crappy economy? i mean, nobody is gaining money after a few turns. As the Ghaznavids, after 3 turns i have -88 dinarii
    Some unit cost less than 100 denarii upkeep/turn. If possible use them as many as you can. They are useful as garrison and canon fodder

Quote Originally Posted by nhinhonhinho View Post
    If you have a trouble with playing with Georgia what will you say if you play with Armenia??????

No idea about Armenia thought. I may have to use some cheat to save my kingdom

Add_money for me and for AI. It's the way to make "balance". However i don't like to cheat
    Last edited by nhinhonhinho; August 20, 2010 at 10:33 AM.