Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: BROKEN CRESCENT: Faction Tips and Strategies

Uandwhosearmy's Avatar Miles

Default Re: BROKEN CRESCENT: Faction Tips and Strategies

Very nice guide on playing the Kypchaks. I've applied similar tactics when playing factions that rely heavily on horse archers but I've got to say I picked up some new ideas in there.

I'm on Ayyubid H/H and damn... I shoulda read the guide first...
    I spent all my time focusing on the KoJ, because I hate their damn snooty accents (and I wanted to have Kerak and Acre soooo bad). It's about 1186 and I've sent KoJ into flight, but lo and behold the new Crusader Hordes just showed up in the Levant -- four whole stacks of heavy knights and armoured sergeants. This all comes right when I have a bunch of scattered battle-weary half armies lying around in disarray... Shoulda gone after Makuria and advanced my technology to the Mamluk stage before going after KoJ...

But here's something that happened I didn't expect when I killed off the KoJ: my silk trade went kaput!! All my merchants trading silk (some of em getting close to 2000 florins a year) started pulling in jack squat! I guess you have to keep KoJ around if you want to make any money off of silk or something...

Black_Rider's Avatar Ordinarius

I spent all my time focusing on the KoJ, because I hate their damn snooty accents (and I wanted to have Kerak and Acre soooo bad). It's about 1186 and I've sent KoJ into flight, but lo and behold the new Crusader Hordes just showed up in the Levant -- four whole stacks of heavy knights and armoured sergeants. This all comes right when I have a bunch of scattered battle-weary half armies lying around in disarray... Shoulda gone after Makuria and advanced my technology to the Mamluk stage before going after KoJ...
    Im playing Ayyubid too now.
    So I dont attack KoJ yet but Im preparing for this. My biggest succes was capture Antiochia. Im very rich and preparing my stack to fight.
    But other my problem is Kingdom of Makuria. They organise solid stack on border and I fear that they attack me when I attack KoJ.

What should I do?
    Attack KoJ or Makuria?

Quote Originally Posted by Jush View Post

But here's something that happened I didn't expect when I killed off the KoJ: my silk trade went kaput!! All my merchants trading silk (some of em getting close to 2000 florins a year) started pulling in jack squat! I guess you have to keep KoJ around if you want to make any money off of silk or something...
    I'm not sure why it'd effect merchants, but if you go to war with someone, you lose your trade rights with them.

My merchants didn't lose their revenue when I went to war with KoJ, only when I destroyed them. Actually something funny happened when I finally destroyed KoJ: The game didn't exactly freeze, but went into a looooong period of loading (about 20 minutes, long enough for me to lie down and take a little nap) as if it was processing a lot of changed information. I don't know if it was a bug, but it certainly seemed a little strange. It might have had to do something with the fact that I destroyed KoJ while the emergent Crusader Hordes were already en route to the Holy Land.

I've since tried two new campaigns with the Ayyubids and wanted to just go after Makuria first then take down KoJ, but KoJ always initiated hostilities. (this is all on H/H) But this time I'm ready for em -- my Cairo now has the Palace Guard Slave Quarters and is pumping out Mamluks. My economy isn't as strong as it could be, but my army certainly is...

Douchebag's Avatar Vicarius

samething happened when i destroyed the turks. i had to wait like 5-10 minutes.

The Mongol's Avatar Primicerius

It has to do with the faction turning horde after defeat.

Mr. Scott's Avatar Primicerius

Can someone tell me if the Mongols come in Broken Crescent?
    “When my information changes, I alter my conclusions.” ― John Maynard Keynes

xxax's Avatar Senator

yes they do.

Heinz Guderian's Avatar *takes off trousers

Quote Originally Posted by scottypd54 View Post
    As Keanu Reeves would say in an unsatisfactory and misjudged way - definately! Mirage just told me whats gonna go down. . Alot of people are gonna die. ALOT. Do you hear me?

teh.frickin.pope's Avatar Senator

Quote Originally Posted by scottypd54 View Post
    You may have to download the Historical Events Fix if you haven't yet, or else they won't come.

Broken Crescent, Its Frickin Awesome! Sig by Atterdag +rep
    Stop Uwe Boll!

the mongols not coming?.. sounds could to me. its 1208 and im the abassadids huntin down seljuk refugees and im allied with a rather unimpressive K-shah who are fighting the Ghazni. So i get the feeling the mongols will ride over the K-shah and ride into me so im fighting on the edge of my AOR. its only a M/H campaing though, thought id keep it simple first time around. i love BC.

Ive got the HUGE wait when i reduced the seljuks to horde status, and when i made sindh my vassals (as ghazni) but thats it.

im just waiting till i can go to town with my faris lancers, then ill show those bloomin KOJ whose boss, (keep getting rode over by KOJ cavalry) bedouins dont quite cut it in the HC role, and i never have enough Abna spearmen to stop a charge, and ive lost count of the number of iranian mercenaries ive shipped over to die. (the KOJ has pretty much whipped out armenia, crippled the Rum Turks, and is constantly fighting the ayyubids).
    God does not love the treachorous

Quote Originally Posted by Jush View Post

Ok, What I THINK happened to you, was that once you destroyed the KOJ, you moved your capital city, perhaps to Damascus, perhaps to Jerusalem, since after all, you just added 10 provinces to your north, and thus would benefit from moving your capital north. If you did this, It would dramatically drop your silk exports, since the value of a resource is something like 'base value' multiplied by distance of the closest of that type of resource to your capital. Silk in Constantinople is worth rubbish if you have silk next door to your capital.

It would be nice if there was a map for every factions AOR.

Indefinitely Banned

Indeed.

For now you'll need to just "discover" it. .

IrAr's Avatar Senator

Yeah, my Armenian forces captured Mosul, and then I learned that unless I build the highest level stable, at which point I can recruit Turkopoles, I have a huge, glorified fort! It is, however, rather easy to get reinforcements there as I have castles at Yerevan, Tigranakert (Diyarbakir) and Sepaste (Sivas)
    I love the AOR! It makes the game so much more fun!
    I though I'd be able to recruit some Kurds from there but apparently not.
    Last edited by IrAr; January 21, 2008 at 02:21 PM.

Member of Anno Domini: Italia Invicta
    This makes me a happy half armenian panda--John I Tzimisces

neoptolemos's Avatar Breatannach Romanus

BC is the best mod of m2tw i have played.great work guys i am using the ERE and i am realy enthusiastic with the depth of histotical details of their units appearance.But how about confrpnring an army of massive heavy horse archers? There is a problem.ERE cavalry is an expensive one and you don`t have an early and cheap option besides the weak trapezitai to field in vast numbers!Any suggestions for a tactic,i` working on a gampaign now and a strategy to solve it

Yeah mate, get cheap HA mercenaries and use them to charge (hold alt) the enemy horse archers. Your heavy cav can then rip them apart, and the infantry can catch up. But you always lose a lot of men vs HA armies.

**Retired**

Once you defeat the starting stocks, AI will resolve to regular units with not so much elite units. Before that, use HA mercs, and during the battle, try to brake their wing formation with your heavy cav.
    Last edited by Strelac; January 21, 2008 at 08:17 PM.

Robo1992's Avatar Decanus

This is a great mod. I've spent hours after hour on it!!