Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Become a TWC University Professor

Default Become a TWC University Professor

The University is born, but it cannot grow without dedicated faculty to keep it running, and ultimately, keep others learning! The cries for modellers, scriptors, mappers, coders, and all other shapes and sizes of modder have never been louder. Help us answer this call, and build upon the already thriving mod community we have at Total War Center.

So ff you feel that you have the time, dedication, and knowledge to take several beginners under your wing, please apply below. Remember to cite such things as:

• Course Subject/Material
    • Your personal qualifications
    • Your motivations and reasons behind volunteering your time as a Professor

We presently have two professors, and are looking for a few more to give the University a solid foundation on which to build. Thank you for applying, and good luck!
    Last edited by Publius; May 07, 2007 at 11:45 PM.

Elric von Rabenfels's Avatar The Devil Inside

Default Re: Become a TWC University Professor

I'll just give it a try:

My qualifications:

I'm someone you could call an oldschool-gamer, I have great knowledge about many games, from Duke Nuken 3D to Civilization to the Total War series and the D&D Rpgs. So I could teach folks anything about games, what they are, how do you play them, some tactics and all that stuff.

My Course Subject/Material:

Since this is a Total War Community, I could teach people about the Total War games. I have played all of them, and I am pretty good at fighting battles, campaign plans and all these things.

So I could help out as professor of "gaming" or strategic matters in the Total War games.

My motivations and reasons behind volunteering my time as a Professor:

I love this community. I love it. And I want to help out as much as I can, and this way, I could help people that are new to games, or especially new to the Total War forums to get into them, and teach them advanced tactics, or just teach them about games in overall.

Now before you say "But you already work as librarian", I want to say that I am, in the end, pretty useless as librarian till now. Searching tru the whole forum searching for good posts is just not my thing. Thatīs why I would be more useful as Professor, I could actually help people, maybe discuss with them, or just share my expierence with them. Thatīs why I would like to work as Professor here.

Greetings,
    Raven

PS: Oh, and if this is only about modding, I could teach people how to use Photoshop properly, and show them how to use tools they would never thought they could use them for skinning

Last edited by Elric von Rabenfels; May 08, 2007 at 01:11 AM.
    - What can change the nature of a man?

Raven, thank you for your application.

At present, however, we are looking for primarily modders. Perhaps there will be a place for this type of class later, but we would like to focus on the modding side of TW first...
    TWC Divus

in patronicvm svb Garbarsardar patronvm celcvm qvo,Professor420et Amroth et Jones King
    Publius says: oh please, i love talk about trans-special mating. sends a gentle tickle down the back of my spine
    MarcusCorneliusMarcellus says: i sucked at exams, but was considered the best lawyer in the class, because I could always find the hole
    Evariste says: I have huge, feminine breasts and I love them

Elric von Rabenfels's Avatar The Devil Inside

Ok, no problem, thatīs fine with me
    Still could teach people how to skin though, but thats your decision

Anyways, congratulations on finally getting the University up

Raven
    - What can change the nature of a man?

Leonidas The Lion's Avatar Until we win! Or die.
    Content Emeritus

Well here is my try:

My qualifications:
    I am coder i edit many file in the RTW game especially descr_strat.

My course subject/material:

I am not a tutorial writer but i can help people in modding most text files in game, I can answer their questions and help fix their problems.

My motivation:
    Well I just like TWC and want to contribute as much as I can that is why I am a librarian so again I just do it to help the TWC community.

Searching tru the whole forum searching for good posts is just not my thing
    Raven you could try the AAR section there are lots of AARs on the verge of completion.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jom View Post
    When using the stick and carrot approach, remember that what you have to do is shove the carrot up their arse and then beat them with the stick.
    Check out my YouTube Channel here
    Under The Patronage Of jimkatalanos
    Patron Of
    Murfios,
    Bolkonsky and DekuTrash

I should add that because this is a paying position requirements for entry may be high.
    Count no man happy until he is dead.

great idea... just hope it works out well as it seems this would take a high level of organization and dedication (maybe the "paying position" might help that part out).

just have some questions though:
    1. would the subject matter have to be strictly M2TW related / general concepts that are applicable to all games; or would, say, strictly RTW related material be acceptable as well?

2. what sort of dedications/obligations would the professor hold? I mean, would there be a strict teaching method with specific times for new lessons, content size, etc., or would it be up to each individual?

... uh, thats all for now I guess, though I really wonder how this will work...
    Chivalry - Total War I Settlement Plans and Buildings Dev...
    and Public Relations person, pm me with any specific questions concerning the mod...

Consilium Belli member

under the patronage of Sétanta

Ok, it's not a paying position, the joke is up The rewards are the benefit to the community, whereby amateur modders are given an opportunity to raise their skill level and then come back and help out the perpetually under-staffed modding community (save all but the biggest mods).

1) Yes, some focus will be on TW modding, but there will be some courses which will be tailored to general game modding etc... It all really depends on what people can spare us to teach. We aren't setting up specific expectations for specific classes. While we would like to see courses on basic 3dsmax and artistic stuff, coding, mapping, etc... we can't force anyone to teach. The answer, I suppose, then, is that the courses will teach what people are willing to teach.

2) Size and dedication are all entirely up to the professor. The Prof chooses the class size, how long it lasts, what he/she wants to teach and how many assignments they would do. We would expect that there would be some assignments and form of helping give feedback to progress of students, but however much is up to the professor. We don't expect really long courses or indepth and intensive courses, but ones which can get someone started.

I hope that helps?
    TWC Divus

in patronicvm svb Garbarsardar patronvm celcvm qvo,Professor420et Amroth et Jones King
    Publius says: oh please, i love talk about trans-special mating. sends a gentle tickle down the back of my spine
    MarcusCorneliusMarcellus says: i sucked at exams, but was considered the best lawyer in the class, because I could always find the hole

sure does

so, this will be like a series of lectures available to the public, and those who are enrolled will be able to ask questions concerning specific individual difficulties... is that the idea?
    Chivalry - Total War I Settlement Plans and Buildings Dev...
    and Public Relations person, pm me with any specific questions concerning the mod...

Consilium Belli member

under the patronage of Sétanta

Basically, yes. Although hopefully the professors will be so kind as to come up with an assignment (or assignments) which they can review for their students and give feedback and insight into, so that students can improve their work and understanding. I realize that this may not be viable on a large scale, but I think it would be really great in improving the quality of the work students produce...
    TWC Divus

Okay, ill give it a shot then.

Name: Nicholas W K

Course Subject/Material

I can teach Moddeling, Texturing, Scripting, Basically, everything to do with Rtw to the max, except Codding. For mtw2, I just started looking into it, But from what i get, i can prity much Texture, And do basic scripting by teaching myself.

I also am in leadership courses at my school, as well as meny advanced courses, so i can tutor a lot already.

Your motivations and reasons behind volunteering your time as a Professor

I can motivate others, im a well spoken person, and have amble techniques on subjects, I also tutor at my school, for advanced classes. And right now i am a Lord for the NTW2 project, so even if i got stuck on something, i have resources from lots of posts.

Yours
    Nick

oh, Sorry, forgot to mention this.

Dont mind the post count, I dont post usualy unless i need to, but ive been a member of this forum for a Long time, i think the last time i visited this forum, While being logged on was last december, i just usaly come and look at stuff as a guest.

Deleted
    Last edited by Turk; June 05, 2007 at 09:30 AM.

Busy!!!

kshcshbash's Avatar My Good Sir CNSW
    Civitate

@thenickster101
    Use the edit post button. ;-)

Could you say a little more about your specific experience and qualifications as they relate to the course you would like to teach?

Screenshots, mods that you have worked on, your portfolio. You understand that being new, we don't know a lot about you.

@Turk
    Essentially the same thing, it'd be great if we could see what you're capable of. Tell us about Diadochi TW and your role therein, please.
    Last edited by kshcshbash; May 09, 2007 at 07:26 AM.
    Simetrical's homeboy, yo.
    You take the blue pill and the story ends. You wake in your bed and you believe whatever you want to believe. You take the red pill and you stay in Wonderland and I show you how deep the rabbit-hole goes. Remember -- all I am offering is the truth, nothing more.

Diadochi TW?
    If understand you right,here the answer:
    I am the leader and i am collecting the Skins(or let done some by skinners) and i will add them to the game
    +i will edit the start regions and money of the factions
    +i will make the scripts

I am the Scripter of Roma Surrectum,Inca TW,Punic TW

Busy!!!

Hader's Avatar Things are very seldom what they seem. In my experience, they’re usually a damn sight worse.
    took an arrow to the knee spy of the council

Blog Entries

Course/Subject

A few different ones:
    Text Editing (RTW)
    2D art (RTW)(might not be able to do this one due to malfunctioning tools)
    Screenshot taking and editing (loading screens, etc.)*
    Video Capture ingame and video editing *

* are top choices

Personal Qualifications

Good at taking and editing screens as well as video
    Good amount of experience with RTW text editing
    Not much experience in 2D art (but its alright )

Motivations

Who doesn;t love TWC? Its such a grat community, and I want to help it however I can, and I hope I can learn from it as well.

Note: If I somehow do make professor (highly unlikely) then I would start in June, FYI, just because of other comminments (mostly real life and school) that must be taken care of first. Professor or not though I will love this university

Well, i can not post screen shots, for a reason though. Its a Lord policy not to realease information about the mod we are working on, unless i get permission. But, i will Private message you some screen shots of the models, and mabey just some other work ive done.

But as for experiances and qualifications:

I can make a model, Skin it, Uv map it, export,Texture it, Script it into the game, Make descriptions for them, and make unit cards for them, and do balancing in game. Edit factions, edit traits, edit game attributes, like in the campaign, events, and what not. as well as knowledge on the Campaing map.

I basicaly would be teaching a main course, for beginners, It would touch on models, and what to do with them, as well as showing different techniques on how to textures, What files they need to edit,to put the unit in game, and to modify existing factions as well as unit cards, and descriptions. As well as a introduction into the campaing. This course would probly take around a month to finish, unless the students were very active and willing to learn, which then it may take a few weeks.

Yours
    Nick

I might be interested, but will get back to you in a month or so. I can do almost everything in RTW (except scripting and some text editing), plus I may be able to teach an advanced course for M2TW modelling. With being the leader of Troy for ages i could also contribute with teamwork and leadership in a mod. Ideally I would like to take a few people who are interested in being artists and train them up so that they could help on a special project I may have in the works for M2TW. Like I say I'll have to get back to you post exams and so this isn't a formal application.

Agraes's Avatar Pillar of Prydein

My time is restricted at the moment because of exams, but in some weeks I may have some more time to lead a class, not sure at 100% of course. I can do almost all aspects of modding, but more than anything I can teach out to lead a team, at least the way Im doing it, of a small/medium size team for Arthurian TW since two years now.

My other qualification would be to teach Dark Ages history in British Isles between roughly 410 and 700 AD, but I don't think anybody will be interested

I can teach TWC's Journalism and reviewing department.
    Well, if I, Belisarius, the Black Prince, and you all agree on something, I really don't think there can be any further discussion.
    - Simetrical 2009 in reply to Ferrets54

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast