Thread: Question: Information on bow types, volley fire.

Sinan's Avatar Senator

Default Question: Information on bow types, volley fire.

Greetings,

Can someone please point me to the thread or post which gives information on close, regular bows. I'd also like to know how the volley fire will work. Thanks for the help.

Salute !
    Add me on Steam if you are playing SHOGUN 2 multiplayer!

Default Re: Question: Information on bow types, volley fire.

I don't think this has been considered or documented yet. As far as i know, the team is focusing on creating units on factions which previously did not exist in Vanilla.

It's been considered, discussed, documented and implemented. The seljuks have access to a full range of Turkoman close bow and regular bow units.

The seljuk faction thread has all the information you could want about our close bow/regular bow system.

Cheers
    "I don't want to sit around Windsor because ermm .. I just generally don't like England that much" - Prince Harry, 3rd in Line for the British Thrown

For King or Country - The English civil wars.

Sinan's Avatar Senator

Thank you for the pointer Alpha. I'll look there.

I'll address them all here but as Alpha said the Seljuk topic will have a better description:

We'll probably lower the damage of all horse archers across the board so as to keep it from descending into a horse archery only battlefield. They are a component of the battle, no doubt, but we don't want them for most factions to actually carry and decide the battle. For seljuk, or Mongol, or Kipchaq, then the situation is much different.

Regular bow: Vanilla style horse archery. High range, medium attack speed, medium damage.

Close bow: Close range Anti-armor archery. Much lower range (I'm thinking javelin distance), medium attack speed, high damage (With AP). Only Turkomans, Mongols, and Kipchaqs will get this. I'm not sure about the latter two, but I kind of assume so.

Volley fire: Quantity over Quality shots. High range, high attack speed, low damage, somewhat lower accuracy. Ghulam Horse Archers will practice this (Not sure if the Medium will, but the heavy HA ghulams will), as will a few other specific units, such as the Khwarezm Cataphracts.

We have to test volley fire because it's possible that the AI might not handle it well. I think by turning off skirmishing, we'll make them more suited to the role. Normally Volley was done at a standstill, but it could be done when mobile too.

Sinan's Avatar Senator

Thank you Ahiga. I'm also looking through the 10 pages that is the Seljuks.

As I understand volley fire will be a special ability in addition to Cantabrian Circle ? And RB & CB will be separate units.

Sadly we can't edit the abilities of a unit per se. I wanted to make fire arrows into an Armor Piercing arrow with a short range, thereby eliminating the need of two different units. But that's not possible.

Volley fire will be the general way in which specific HA fight (Will be implimented by edits to their attack speed, amount of arrows, damage, ect.), and because of that will be limited to HA with heavier armor and sometimes those with horse armor.
    Last edited by Ahiga; May 09, 2007 at 11:38 AM.