Thread: Greatest Games/Matches

Publius Clodius Pulcher's Avatar Senator

Default Greatest Games/Matches

Because of the Upset post I was thinking about the best games ever, and a few popped to mind.

The Ice Bowl : '67 NFC championship between the Cowboys and Lombardi's Packers. Did you know that the air was so cold, the whistles stuck to the ref's mouths, so after the first play there were no whistles in the Ice Bowl? Also, what a dramtic ending.

NFC Championship 1982 "The Catch" : What a miraclous play, only superceded by one other reception in NFL history. And it occured after an amazing drive, in a back and forth game between the the twilight of the Cowboys and the rising sun of the 49ers.

1972 AFC Divisional "The Immaculate Reception" : This play alone, along with the beginnings of the Steelers dynasty is enough to put this game down.

Go with yours.

Rest in Peace Smokin Levon Helm

NaptownKnight's Avatar Praeses

Default Re: Greatest Games/Matches

2007 AFC Championship Game, Naptown Colts comeback on the New England Patriots: The biggest comeback in a championship game. Peyton Manning, Tom Brady, this game had everything.

1998 Eastern Conference Finals Game
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vByu2YcHcPM That game, I forget which one it was. Amazing, Jordan even said the 1998 Pacers were the toughest team he ever played. BTW Reggie pushed off on Jordan, that wasn't a foul .

1954 Indiana High School Championship Game
    Yeah, the game Hoosiers is about. In real life, it was Milan vs. Muncie Central. (Note: thats my-lan, another American bastardization of a word). Milan was an extremely small town out in the boonies, and Muncie is basically a suburb of Indy. I believe Muncie Central had more students than the entire population of Milan. It's amazing that they won.
    BTW That team also beat Oscar Robertson's team in the semi's, thats how good this team was.

Games 4, 5, and 6, 2004 ALCS

The Red Sox, the evil empire. After the Yankees went up on the Sox three games to none everyone thought they were done. Then, the Sox came back and won four straight games to take the series. Games 4, 5, and 6 were the best baseball games I have ever watched, they all went into extra innings I believe, and they were the only baseball games I have watched in their entirety.
    Last edited by NaptownKnight; May 07, 2007 at 10:49 PM.

Euro 2004: Holland v. Czech Republic. Holland go 2-0 up in 17 minutes but the Czechs beat them 3-2 with a goal in the 88th minute. One of the best games of football I have ever personally witnessed.

Everton 4 Liverpool 4 FA Cup 5th round February 21, 1991. Everton equalised everytime the reds scored. Superb Game! and Everton won the replay .It was also good news for Liverpool fans as Kenny Dalglish resigned afterwards
    Under the protection of jimkatalanos
    with further protection from
    Calvin R.I.P mate, Cúchulainn , Erebus26 , Paggers Jean-Jacques Rousseau
    and Future Filmmaker

2007 AFC Championship Game, Naptown Colts comeback on the New England Patriots: The biggest comeback in a championship game. Peyton Manning, Tom Brady, this game had everything.
    The one the Colts played against the Steelers during the previous year's playoffs was better. Now that was a game I'd say had everything in it. Or even the Super-Bowl where McNair fell one yard short of winning the game.
    Sponsored by the Last Roman

ShangTang's Avatar Domesticus

2006 Rose Bowl. It had it all. A team full of superstars vs. Superman himself (VY).

"AVDENTES FORTVNA JUVAT"

Quote Originally Posted by ShangTang View Post
    2006 Rose Bowl. It had it all. A team full of superstars vs. Superman himself (VY).
    No discredit to VY, but Reggie Bush was more like superman, I mean he was the supposedly unstoppable force.

That old Boston College game where Dough Flutie threw that hail mary and won the game certainly is up there.

Too bad he was deemed too small for NFL because he did well after he came to the NFL in the late 90s.
    Swear filters are for sites run by immature children.

Big War Bird's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae

One of the most dramatic moments in all of sports came on March 5, 1938, when Joe Louis defeated Max Schmeling in a return bout to avenge an earlier defeat.

After WW2 Schmeling made a fortune by purchasing the german liscensing to Coca Cola. When he learned Joe Lewis had become destitute, Schmeling supported Lewis
    As a teenager, I was taken to various houses and flats above takeaways in the north of England, to be beaten, tortured and raped over 100 times. I was called a “white slag” and “white ****” as they beat me.

-Ella Hill

Cyrus the Virus's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae

Soviet hockey team in 80's any game, take your pick.
    Maybe Canada Cup games?

"And the Heavens Shall Tremble"
    Resistance is futile™

"ehn sewr traih-sluyrds-lairareh"

THE BAND IS ON THE FIELD!!! THE BAND IS ON THE FIELD!!!

All the college football fans in the U.S. know what I'm talking about.

ShangTang's Avatar Domesticus

Quote Originally Posted by ajm317 View Post
    THE BAND IS ON THE FIELD!!! THE BAND IS ON THE FIELD!!!

All the college football fans in the U.S. know what I'm talking about.
    Forever Elway's nightmare.

"AVDENTES FORTVNA JUVAT"

JP226's Avatar Dux Limitis

the greatest highschool game ever, at the very least.

Sure I've been called a xenophobe, but the truth is Im not. I honestly feel that America is the best country and all other countries aren't as good. That used to be called patriotism.

" I dun whet my briches" lol