Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: When will England win the WC?

NaptownKnight's Avatar Praeses

Default When will England win the WC?

Okay when will England finally win again? There are obviously good players and coaches in England, plus many crazy fans to support them, but they haven't gotten it together in quite sometime. Will they be Champs soon, or will it take many years? They remind me of the Boston Red Sox, who didn't win a championship in 86 years, despite being in position to win a few and choking them away.

Default Re: When will England win the WC?

I think England will win the world cup when we have a decent foward line and Lampard is either dropped or sorts his life out. Luckily he has only one world cup left in him. A decent attacking minded manager (who's english) whos not afraid to drop the big players and admit to mistakes. Saying all this the future crop of english players don't look all that promising
    Under the protection of jimkatalanos
    with further protection from
    Calvin R.I.P mate, Cúchulainn , Erebus26 , Paggers Jean-Jacques Rousseau
    and Future Filmmaker

the_mango55's Avatar Comes Rei Militaris
    Citizen

Let's just say the Lions will win the Superbowl first.
    ttt
    Adopted son of Lord Sephiroth, Youngest sibling of Pent uP Rage, Prarara the Great, Nerwen Carnesîr, TB666 and, Boudicca. In the great Family of the Black Prince

Cyrus the Virus's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae

England will win when the other top teams abstain from the tournament.
    So it will take time.

"And the Heavens Shall Tremble"
    Resistance is futile™

"ehn sewr traih-sluyrds-lairareh"

When the Spain, Italy, and Germany give them a chance. :p -Leon

Quote Originally Posted by Boromir View Post
    England will win when the other top teams abstain from the tournament.
    So it will take time.
    I think we will do better than a few of the big European teams in 2010, our team is quite young while teams like Italy and France have very ageing squads and players like Henry and Nesta will be way past it and I haven't noticed any new Baggios or Platinis lately. Spain might be the big European Nation. Also watch out for teams like Portugal and Holland who also seem to have an endless line of talented youngsters
    and Future Filmmaker

Quote Originally Posted by Minibomb74 View Post
    I think we will do better than a few of the big European teams in 2010, our team is quite young while teams like Italy and France have very ageing squads and players like Henry and Nesta will be way past it and I haven't noticed any new Baggios or Platinis lately. Spain might be the big European Nation. Also watch out for teams like Portugal and Holland who also seem to have an endless line of talented youngsters
    That is true but the team must work as a unit, seems to be the case that some midfielders have trouble being on the pitch at the same time, Lampard & Gerrard.
    Each one want have the ball or shot. It gets too much of that on that space so to speak.

Resistance is futile™

Quote Originally Posted by Boromir View Post
    That is true but the team must work as a unit, seems to be the case that some midfielder have trouble being on the pitch at the same time, Lampard & Gerrard.
    Each one want have the ball or shot. It gets too much of that on that space so to speak.
    I must concede to your point ,Italy did deserve to win the world cup due to superior tactics and great team spirit (but I do have a grudge against materazzi ,not because of Zidane) ,at least Buffon is still quite young.
    and Future Filmmaker

I am not that knowledgeable on pro soccer, are there any phenomenal young English players?

About Buffon, goalies last longer and Materazzi is what he is. No more no less.
    People just don't like him which is justified

Off to bed now

Resistance is futile™

Apart from the traitor Wayne Rooney, we have Steven Gerrard who is the most consistent player I have ever seen, Owen Hargreaves (who's really canadian) ,Becks has been dropped unfortunely and Joe Cole if he is in the right mood.
    and Future Filmmaker

Well, i personally believe that england and france have pretty much the same oportunity. Before you get anger at me or believe is sarcasm, its not.I am not saying it on a bad way: I am a french team fan, and they did quite better than most expected on the last one, showing that experience can defeat young enthusiasm and energy (ie: Spain and Brazil).

England have the leadership, youth and experience, but its seem that the team is unable to advance very much lately, maybe their dinamic is failing or just a bad chain of events, it happens in sports. Personally i believe that right now the team with the best posibilities to win the 2010 is Spain, what the kids needed was experience and they won it, im quite sure they will be better focused and less thrusted next time.

But back to england. Maybe, what they need is a little more fire to say it like that. Enthusiasm. Vision. somehow, Beckham didn't looked like he inspired it on the team, and im not blaming him. Its just that, maybe the English team needs to visualize it, to believe it. To actually chase it.

So, in short:

2010 WC english champions? Maybe.
    2010 WC french champions? Maybe.
    2010 WC spanish champions? Quite probable.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord LeRey View Post
    Well, i personally believe that england and france have pretty much the same oportunity. Before you get anger at me or believe is sarcasm, its not.I am not saying it on a bad way: I am a french team fan, and they did quite better than most expected on the last one, showing that experience can defeat young enthusiasm and energy (ie: Spain and Brazil).

England have the leadership, youth and experience, but its seem that the team is unable to advance very much lately, maybe their dinamic is failing or just a bad chain of events, it happens in sports. Personally i believe that right now the team with the best posibilities to win the 2010 is Spain, what the kids needed was experience and they won it, im quite sure they will be better focused and less thrusted next time.

But back to england. Maybe, what they need is a little more fire to say it like that. Enthusiasm. Vision. somehow, Beckham didn't looked like he inspired it on the team, and im not blaming him. Its just that, maybe the English team needs to visualize it, to believe it. To actually chase it.

So, in short:

2010 WC english champions? Maybe.
    2010 WC french champions? Maybe.
    Thanks for the optimism (misguided i'm afraid ) but although I do agree with your valid points I cannot take lack of passion as an excuse.Most of our players do play with pride I think and the problems are very easy to sort out, we need a left foot midfield player and we HAVE to drop Lampard. He is maybe the one player who really cannot be bothered with the 3 lions. I really hope the french side do find some more great players in the next world cup or european cup as I enjoy the friendly rivalary between the two traditional teams in international football.
    Last edited by Noble Savage; May 04, 2007 at 05:57 PM.
    and Future Filmmaker

Yorkshireman's Avatar Praefectus

Quote Originally Posted by invictus View Post
    When the Spain, Italy, and Germany give them a chance. :p -Leon
    Yes, we'll give Spain a chance, seeing as they've never won the World Cup.

Eastern Red's Avatar Semisalis

This is the big question that every England's soccer fan around the world is wondering. The WC belongs to the big 4 for almost half a century and it will take a lot of luck just to be in grand final for others. Personally, I'm not a fan but will like to see them go far and even win the cup because of my support for EPL.

THE BEGINNING OF A NEW ERA
    COURTESY OF LORD RAHL

Hopefully never.

I think Argentina should win again

Resistance is futile™

Sidus Preclarum's Avatar Honnęte Homme.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord LeRey View Post
    With Spain's usual uncanny ability to crack under pressure in the last steps of international contests?

Quote Originally Posted by Sidus Preclarum View Post
    With Spain's usual uncanny ability to crack under pressure in the last steps of international contests?
    Its still amazes me with all their superb players,they never seem to get their act together , Xavi,Villa,Morientes, casillias ,Raul ,I could just keep going . Its got to be their turn soon surely
    and Future Filmmaker

I hope England and the U.S. end up in the same group. Ultimate humiliation for Brits is getting beat by the U.S. . Well I hope England can put together a better effort than 06, because I felt they had a better team than France, and maybe could have made the world cup final with a little more luck and effort. Then again Germany and Brazil clearly had the best teams, maybe one of those two will win in 2010.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast