Thread: Ladder formation...

Zerthamel's Avatar Libertus

Default Ladder formation...

I made this formation with 10 Phalanx formations i thought it was funny so i posted it

Making "300" Feel-Mod for R:TW 1.5!
    PM me if you want to help make it!

Default Re: Ladder formation...

That is funny but what map
    is that?
    Die spam Die!
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

He is makin a Thermapolyplae Map

btw,this formation is used by every greek city player in multiplayer battle

Busy!!!

Paul d's Avatar Praepositus

heh, easily countered by parthia, when i am parthia against somehting like that it is an automatic heroic victory.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul d View Post
    heh, easily countered by parthia, when i am parthia against somehting like that it is an automatic heroic victory.
    Phalanxes are useless against missile cavalry. I prefer legions, they have the testudo which can make this sort of skirmishing useless. Then the horse archers can either flee, face the legions themselves and rout, or shoot at the backs of their own cavalry facing the legions :p.
    "Romans not only easily conquered those who fought by cutting, but mocked them too. For the cut, even delivered with force, frequently does not kill, when the vital parts are protected by equipment and bone. On the contrary, a point brought to bear is fatal at two inches; for it is necessary that whatever vital parts it penetrates, it is immersed. Next, when a cut is delivered, the right arm and flank are exposed. However, the point is delivered with the cover of the body and wounds the enemy before he sees it."

- Flavius Vegetius Renatus (in Epitoma Rei Militari, ca. 390)

Internazionale's Avatar Campidoctor

I think its just stupid to just have a box of infantry unless you are heavily outnumbered. There is no challenge in using that ladder formation!

And btw you should ALWAYS have cavalry and other troops as support when using phalangites.
    Also if you just spamm the box with archers and spear throwing units he has to counter attack, if not his army will get severely weakened.

Severous's Avatar Biarchus

In a 6 player 3v3 multiplayer battle:

One player set up spelling 'RTW' with his legions. Cool.

He didnt keep it that way. They were pretty deadly when he assumed his proper battle positions.
    Regards
    Severous

Did my part in a Franks BI Succession campaign:
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=118689
    Played a Mod called "End of Days" Picture based AAR is here:
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=116509
    From last year. Final turn of vh/vh Egyptian campaign
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=54262

This ladder formation looks fun I'll try it.

LeonidasOfSparta
    "Hoti to kratisto" - Alexander of Macedon

Quote Originally Posted by Turk View Post

btw, not true...you haven't every greek player, or me...Go check out my win vs. Rome in the AAR section, my Battle report. I never use that formation or boxes...

Quote Originally Posted by Turk View Post

Lol i think your referring to the famous "noob box", its less like a ladder and people form more of a compact box with archers and artillery inside of it.

The noob box is the devil.

Noob box is one of the most stupid things I have ever encountered, why do people do it at the start of a game, it should only be used as a last resort in my opinion.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam.
    I have a catapult. Give me all the money, or I will fling an enormous rock at your head

"U CAN NEVER PREDICT THE UNEXPECTED"

Drag529's Avatar Tiro

lol the noob box.....it's a clever formation, :hmmm: i would probly use it only if im going to loose for sure and surronded.....
    In War Its Dosn't Mater Who's Right, But Instead Whos Left.
    Going Down In Flames

I raped the noob box before...he was greeks i parthia. I got all horse archers and surrounded, then had each unit shoot at the greek unit with its back to me...so my guys were hitting each unit in its back...1 unit of spartans was reduced to 10 guys in less than a minute when i had like 3 units of archers concentrated on it...

The moral of this post- Don't use the noob box. That's why they call it the NOOB box.

really?
    "Hoti to kratisto" - Alexander of Macedon

Ephialtes The Dog's Avatar Vicarius
    Under your bed, in your closet, in your head!!!

At the command orbem formate, the legionaries assumed a circle-like formation with the archers placed in the midst of and behind the legionaries providing missile fire support. This tactic was used mainly when a small number of legionaries had to hold a position and were surrounded by enemies.

Evidence that the "Noob Box" was used in battle, but like it says they only used it "when a small number of legionaries had to hold a position and were surrounded by enemies".
    "So there I am, in Sri Lanka, formerly Ceylon, at about 3 o'clock in the morning, looking for one thousand brown M&Ms to fill a brandy glass, or Ozzy wouldn't go on stage that night. So, Jeff Beck pops his head 'round the door, and mentions there's a little sweets shop on the edge of town. So - we go. And - it's closed. So there's me, and Keith Moon, and David Crosby, breaking into that little sweets shop, eh. Well, instead of a guard dog, they've got this bloody great big Bengal tiger. I managed to take out the tiger with a can of mace, but the shopowner and his son... that's a different story altogether. I had to beat them to death with their own shoes. Nasty business, really. But, sure enough, I got the M&Ms, and Ozzy went on stage and did a great show."

-Del Preston

So the lesson to be learnt here only use box formation (noob box) when outnumbered.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam.
    I have a catapult. Give me all the money, or I will fling an enormous rock at your head

"U CAN NEVER PREDICT THE UNEXPECTED"

And bring your own archers.
    Every time you :wub:, god kills another kitten.
    If you're gonna hire Machete to kill the bad guy, you better make damn sure the bad guy isn't YOU!

'I understand, and I take the light into my soul. I will become the spear of Khaine. Lightning flashes, blood falls, death pierces the darkness.' , Dhrykna.