Historical Events:
    Code:
    1171 - Saladin abolished the Fatimid Caliphate
    1212 - Battle of Las Navas de Tolosa
    1218 - Mongol diplomats slain
    1220 - Mongols Invade!
    1294 - The Battle of Ayas

I need historical events.

I need to know everything that happened from around 1170 (saladin taking egypt) to about 1400 in this part of the world. From invasions, to preachers, to rebellions, scholars, achievements, heresies, murders... anything and everything.

The event can fall outside the map too as a sort of "news from abroad". And i'd especially like info on rebellion and invasions. Its easy to spawn rebel stack to simulate such things.

Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by Miraj; May 07, 2007 at 09:53 PM.

Default Re: The Historical Events Thread

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jami
    the teachings of Nur ad-Din Abd ar-Rahman Jami

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rumi
    Mevlana

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Persian_miniature
    persian miniatures 13th+ century

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yunus_Emre
    turkish poet

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Muhammad_al-Idrisi
    Al Idrissi was the first one to draw a correct map of the world "lawh al-tarsim" (plank of draught) in 1154 (but the mod starts later )

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Al-Jazari
    He invented the crankshaft and some of the first mechanical clocks, driven by water and weights.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Las_Navas_de_Tolosa
    The July 16, 1212 battle of Las Navas de Tolosa the Almahods loose the control of Iberia

there are many more but they are mostly from the 9-11th century...

Indefinitely Banned

Rumi lived during this mods era? Cool

^^
    (September 30, 1207–December 17, 1273)

IrAr's Avatar Senator

1294: Battle of Ayas
    The Genoese defeat the Venetian fleet near Ayas in Cilicia, giving the Genoans a monopoly on the trade with the Armenians.

Member of Anno Domini: Italia Invicta
    This makes me a happy half armenian panda--John I Tzimisces

CtrlAltDe1337's Avatar Praepositus

Two earthquakes, one in 1303 and the other in 1323, damaged the lighthouse of Alexandria.

You should prob split this into two events.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lighthouse_of_Alexandria
    Last edited by CtrlAltDe1337; May 03, 2007 at 11:35 PM.

Ermeni's Avatar Biarchus

here is another historical charachter matthew of Edessa.....(there is a quote from him in the vanillia version)....he's armenian

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Matthew_of_Edessa

edit:

i noticed now that he doesn't fit in to the time period of the mod....he died 1144

but i have more:

Mkhitar Heratsi - Armenian Physician
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mkhitar_Heratsi

Mkhitar Gosh (1130-1213) - Armenian scholar and priest
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mkhitar_Gosh

Nerses of Lambron (Armenian: Ներսես Լամբրոնացի, Nerses Lambronatsi; 1153 - 1198) was the Archbishop of Tarsus in the Armenian Kingdom of Cilicia who is remembered as one of the most significant figures in Armenian literature and ecclesiastical history. Maybe the governor of Tarsus would have this guy as a ancillary (+2 piety or something else)
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nerses_of_Lambron

Sargis Pitsak - Medieval Armenian scribe and miniaturist in Cilicia (1300-)
    http://library.thinkquest.org/C00379...er/sargis.html
    (maybe triggered in the later stages of the game for a armenian governor of Sis.....)

Toros Roslin (Armenian: Թորոս Ռոսլին) (c.1210 – 1270) or (c.1216 – 1288) was the most prominent Armenian miniaturist in the Middle Ages.
    http://www.answers.com/topic/toros-roslin
    http://armenianstudies.csufresno.edu...roduction.html
    Last edited by Ermeni; May 04, 2007 at 04:27 AM.

Tadzreuli's Avatar Chevalier Blanche

Here the main events in Georgia, from them choose what more to approach to...:

1.1177 - large feudal revolt in Georgia, in the chapter of prince Demetre, against its uncle, king George III. prince considered, that it the heir-at-law of the Georgian throne, has collected adherents among large feudal lords of Georgia, including on its party military minister of Georgia, John Orbeli acted - Amirspasalari. Revolts some months last, but on emperor of Georgia have remained the devoted imperial divisions of the Georgian army, an elite cavalry - Monaspa. Thus, Emperor George III promptly and quickly operated against armies of the rebellious nephew and military minister. Has instantly struck on their main groups to close Tbilisi, having broken them and has compelled risen to recede in fortress Lore, to close Tbilisi. Through short besiege lock Lore, prince Demetre and John Orbeli have surrendered to king, but Emperor was not merciful and executed them.

2.1185 - in Georgia royal Minister of Finance - "Mechurchletukhutsesi", Kurtlu Arslan, it and its adherents have demanded from Quin of Georgia Tamar, to create regulatory authority which will accept laws for the state, and king them will execute. Certainly on it Quin Tamar has disagreed, business has terminated so, that finally progressive and ideological minister has been arrested. But business on it has not terminated. the imperial authority, after pressure of large feudal lords and the trading nobility, has been compelled to create royal court - "Samepo Darbazi" eats - imperial chamber. Henceforth, kings of Georgia accepted the important state decisions with the contract and with the consent Samepo Darbazi.

3. 1195 - battle of Shamkor.

Fought on June 1, 1195 near the city of Shamkor, Arran (present day Shamkir, Azerbaijan), the Battle of Shamkor was a major victory won by the Georgian army, commanded by David Soslan, over the army of the Azerbaijani Atabeg Abu Bakr. The battle was fought as part of several conflicts between the Atabeg State of Azerbaijan, also known as the Ildenizid State after its ruling dynasty, and Georgia. The consolidation of Ildenizid power, in the 1130s, coincided with a resurgence of military expansionism by the Georgian kings, whose territories marched with Muslim Shirvan and Arran. The battle was preceded by a dynastic war (1191-1195) in the Ildenizid possessions. Victorious in power struggle, Nusrat al-Din Abu Bakr b. Pahlawan Muhammad (ruled 1195-1210) had his elder brother Kutlugh Inanch assassinated and forced the younger brother, Amir Mihran, to take refuge at the court of the latter’s brother-in-law, Shirvanshah Ahsitan I b. Manuchehr (r. 1160-1196). The Shirvanshah together with Amir Mihran headed for Tbilisi, Georgia, and appealed for help to Queen Tamar, an official protector of Shirvan. Received with great honors at the Georgian court, they were given desired support, and the Georgian army led by Consort David Soslan marched to Shirvan. Abu-Bakr, reinforced by his client Muslim emirs, met the enemy at the well-fortified city of Shamkor on June 1, 1195. David Soslan sent a relatively small force to break through the gates of the city, while he led the main Georgian troops to raid deep in the enemy’s rear. However, poor roads and difficult landscape were setback for the Georgians, and the Atabeg defended the city for a while. Nevertheless, David Soslan’s maneuver proved to be decisive and Abu Bakr’s army was severely defeated. Shamkor was eventually captured by the Georgians who then chased the enemy’s soldiers up to the city of Ganja which in its turn fell to the victors. The Georgians seized numerous prisoners and huge amount of booty, including the Khalif's standard, which Queen Tamar donated to the Icon of Our Lady of Khakhuli. Shamkor and the surroundings were turned over to the Shirvanshah on terms of vassalage. Following the battle, Abu Bakr retreated to Nakhichevan and Amir Mihran was installed as an atabeg in Ganja, only to be poisoned the same year. As a result, Abu Bakr was able to return to the capital, leading to a new confrontation with Georgia. Several Georgian inroads ensued, leaving several cities and towns in ruins between 1196 and 1209.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Shamkor

4. 1199 - Georgian poet Shota Rustaveli writes a poem “ the Hero in panter skin ”. Magnificent skill ingenious Shota Rustaveli, a fascinating plot, pathetic humanism, riches of the paints transferring alive breath of an ancient epoch, - all this puts a poem in a number of world famous masterpieces of the literature.

5. 1203 - battle of Basian

The Battle of Basian was fought between the Georgians and the Seljuk Turks of Rüm at the place of Basian, 60 kilometers northeast of the city of Erzurum (in modern Turkey) in 1203. Alarmed by the Georgia advances, Sultan Rukn ad-Din of Rüm allied himself with the neighbouring Seljuk rulers and marched to the southwestern borders of the Georgian Kingdom. Queen Tamar of Georgia sent her husband David Soslani with approximately 90,000 men to meet the enemy in the Basian region. The Georgian vanguard repelled the Seljuks desperate attacks and counterattacked successfully, but had to retreat being outnumbered threefold by the Sultan's reserve forces. Ultimately, the Georgian main forces repulsed Rukn ad-Din's offensive and crushed him decisively. Both sides lost several thousand men killed and wounded. The Sultan himself fled to Erzurum.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Basian

6. 1225 - battle of Garni

The battle of Garni (or Garnisi) was fought in 1225 between Georgians (numbering, according to the sources, some 60,000 men) and Khwarazmians (numbering, it was said, 200,000, but likely much less); the invaders were lead by Jalal ad-Din Mingburnu, the desperate last sultan of the Khwarezmid Empire who, driven from his realm by the Mongols, was trying to recapture it. Having his request of an alliance being rejected by the Georgians, he attacked them. In the battle at Garni Georgia was heavily defeated; as a result the royal court with Queen Rusudan (1223-1245) moved to Kutaisi and the country was left exposed to subsequent Mongol aggression.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Garni

7. 1226 - Khirezmian sultan Jalal ad-Din has taken Tbilisi. Has severely plundered capital of Georgia, one of the richest cities of that time. After that the sultan has demanded from christians of Tbilisi to reject Jesus's belief and to accept an islam, but Georgians have refused to execute will of the sultan. Then Jalal ad-Din has ordered to execute all christians cities. Thus it has been killed 100 000 Georgian which it is proud protected the christian belief and have not obeyed khorezmian sultan.
    -------

to be continue . . . .

i don't know if battles are relevant because you can make the battles during the game
    it would be better to write things like inventions discoveries natural disasters etc...

Indefinitely Banned

Battles are relevent if they are things like rebellions and such. I can spawn a rebel army with those very characters and have it attack you at the right spot.

Quote Originally Posted by mirage41 View Post
    Battles are relevent if they are things like rebellions and such. I can spawn a rebel army with those very characters and have it attack you at the right spot.
    you are right but with battles i was thinking "faction A (which is in the mod) vs. faction B (which is also in the mod) rebellions and such are ok.

Indefinitely Banned

But you're right about that. I can't include things that involve 1 or more factions... only rebel type deals.

All dates are C.E.

1169 - Saladin becomes Governor of Egypt under Nur al Din Mahmud

1171 - Saladin changes the official religion of Egypt from Shi'ia to Sunni Islam. He also begins the sytematic dismantling or destruction of Fatimid military units while recruiting new forces loyal to himself and the Ayyubuds. Note that loyalty to him was more important than that to his Uncle Nur al Din Mahmud.

1174 - Death of Nur al Din Mahmud; Saladin captures Damascus which had been held by Nur al Din

1174 - Seljuk leader, Kilic Arslan II, in retaliation for repeated raids, invaded the Principality of Danismend and destroyed their dynasty.

1176 - Seljuks win a decisive battle of Myriokephalon against the Byzantines. Never again will the Byzantines be as strong militarily. Europe takes notice of the Muslims in Anatolia as a result. Seljuk lands are now denoted as ghazis, or frontiersmen lands dedicated to protecting and expanding Islamic rule.

1177 - King Baldwin III and his vassels defeat Saladin at the Battle of Montgisard,

1181 - Former Prince of Antioch and now Lord of Oultrejordain, Renaud de Chatillon, begins raiding the area of the Red Sea and eventually threatens Mecca and Medina from his castle of Kerak (known for the depraved treatment his prisoners received there).

1182 - Saladin Complains to King Baldwin III, known as the Leper King, regarding his vassel Renaud. King Baldwin replies that he cannot control his unruly vassel and war breaks out between the Latin Kingdom of Jerusalem and Saladin. Renaud launches a pirate navy to raid villages along the Red Sea. Saladin's brother, Al-Adil I stops Renaud's army just miles from Medina. The pirates are sent to Cairo for beheading but Renaud escapes. Swearing to behead Renaud himself, Saladin lays seige to Kerak during the wedding of Renaud's Nephew, Humphrey IV of Toron and Isabella of Jerusalem. Count Raymond III of Tripoli came to the rescue and raised the siege. Renaud would remain quite till 1186.

1186 - Renaud attacks an Islamic caravan, erroneously reported by western historians as having Saladin's sister in it returning from Haj. Saladin uses this to increase the guards on all Islamic caravans and begin the preperations for war.

1187 - King Guy of Jerusalem and Renaud meet Saladin's forces at the Battle of Hattin where the Latins are utterly overwhelmed. Both Guy and Renaud are taken prisoner. Saladin's chonicaler Imad ad Din al-Ishafani, and observer to the proceedings, reported what happened then:

“Saladin invited the king [Guy] to sit beside him, and when Arnat [Renaud] entered in his turn, he seated him next to his king and reminded him of his misdeeds. "How many times have you sworn an oath and violated it? How many times have you signed agreements you have never respected?" Renaud answered through a translator: "Kings have always acted thus. I did nothing more." During this time King Guy was gasping with thirst, his head dangling as though drunk, his face betraying great fright. Saladin spoke reassuring words to him, had cold water brought, and offered it to him. The king drank, then handed what remained to Renaud, who slaked his thirst in turn. The sultan then said to Guy: "You did not ask permission before giving him water. I am therefore not obliged to grant him mercy." After pronouncing these words, the sultan smiled, mounted his horse, and rode off, leaving the captives in terror. He supervised the return of the troops, and then came back to his tent. He ordered Renaud brought there, then advanced before him, sword in hand, and struck him between the neck and the shoulder-blade. When Renaud fell, he cut off his head and dragged the body by its feet to the king, who began to tremble. Seeing him thus upset, Saladin said to him in a reassuring tone: "This man was killed only because of his maleficence and perfidy".

Guy would be taken to Damascus and later released.

1188 - Henry II of England and Phillip II (known as Augusta) of France took up the Cross in Gisors upon learning of the fall of Jerusalem to Saladin.

1189 - Kilic Arslan II dies and civil war erupts in the Seljuk states. Also Richard the Lionhearted takes up arms along with Phillip II against Richard's father, Henry II defeating him at Ballans, and forcing Henry to name Richard his successor. Two days later Henry II dies and Richard is eventually crowned King of England, Duke of Normandy and Count of Anjou all by September of that year.

1190 - Richard I, Phillip II and The Holy Roman Emperor, Frederick Barbarossa, set out for the Holy Lands on the Third Crusade. Barbarossa dies enroute, and Richard and Phillip are delayed in Sicily when King Tancred I (of Lecce, cousin to the late William II of Sicily) seized power. Richard's sister, Joan, was King William's widow, and was arrested, confined and denighed her inheritance. Richard eventually attacked Messina and finally a peace was settled upon allowing Tancred I to remain King, even though Henry VI, the new Holy Roman Emperor, was the true inheritor of the title through his wife. This began the undermining of Richard's relationship with the HRE. Joan was released, and would accompany Richard to Rhodes for his wedding. In return, Richard gave Tancred I a sword he claimed was Excalabur (though it is highly unlikely).

1204 Fourth Crusade attacks Byzantium, and captures the city of Constantinople. The Seljuk noble living in exile in Constantinople with his greek wife, Gayas-al-Din Kai-Khusrau becomes Sultan

1207 - Kai-Khuskau attacks and capturs the trade port of Antalya, opening up trade to Europe via the Mediterarean.

1210 - Kai-Khuskau falls in battle while attacking the Byzantime emperor-in-exile, Theodore Lascaris at Nicea after the Turks turn to looting before the Greek army is destroyed.

More to come later, including Richar's wedding, his attack on Cyprus, the sale of the Island Kingdom to the Templers and then to Guy, and much more Islamic history. I aslo plan on adding lots of history from all the other factions, especially the Mongols.

Please let me know if this is the type of info you are looking for in a timeline, so the Historical Events pop-ups will be interesting and informative.
    Former Historian & Dev Member for Broken Crescent Mod
    Dual-Major BA in Medieval History / Political Science, Adelphi University Aug. 1989
    Member of the World History Association
    Member of the Medieval Academy of America
    Member of the Richard III Society
    Member of the Society for the Study of the Crusades and Latin East
    If you like my post, please +Rep...if you dislike my post, please +REP me twice

Sinan's Avatar Senator

Icon3 Re: The Historical Events Thread

Hi CelticPagan, I have a question on this subject: "Seljuk lands are now denoted as ghazis, or frontiersmen lands dedicated to protecting and expanding Islamic rule."

They are denoted as Ghazis by who ? and who has given them the authority to protect and expand Islamic rule?. Only the Caliph can give such global authority. I ask this question because I think this is a very old Occidental view. I believe it is the view from the time of the Crusades. A justification for causus beli.

I am not challenging your work, simply voicing my opinion and also hoping to get some idea of what you think. The usage of "destined to Ghazi" for the Seljuk and Ottomans is very prevelant in pro-Crusade, Christian fundamentalist, and anti-Islamic literature. I think it is a stereotype.

You are doing a GREAT job mate.
    Last edited by Sinan; May 04, 2007 at 07:38 PM.
    Add me on Steam if you are playing SHOGUN 2 multiplayer!

I took it from various sources, but yes, it is a "Western" version. I'm trying to not take sides, or rather to use both sides in the historical events. Since this Mod has factions that are pro_Islam and anti_Islam expansionism, it was a way of saying the Seljuks were the frontiersmen, like it or not, while making it sound like a good thing. Perhaps I could have worded it better, but a player playing the Seljuks might look on that with some pride, saying "Wow, my faction are the guys other Muslims look to to uphold and expand Islam!"

Of course, a player of any other faction may say "Hey! Those guys suck!" LOL Thing to remember is this is a game, and I, for one, am not picking sides as to which was right. I am using books written from a Western point of view, as well as translations of Arabic historians from the Crusades (Arabic Historians of the Crusades by Francesco Gabrieli, to be exact) and am awaiting a book called the Crusades through Arab Eyes.

The Gazhis info came from Saladin and the Saracens, by Osprey and The Library of the Middle Ages' Islamic Weapons, Warfare and Armies by Paul Hillman, as well as a number of web sites.
    Dual-Major BA in Medieval History / Political Science, Adelphi University Aug. 1989

Sinan's Avatar Senator

Thanks mate, just wanted to know what your thoughts were.
    Cheers and sadly I can't rep you again yet or I would.

The book you're waiting for should be a good one I think, although it may be skewed the other way. I've never read it but IIRC I ordered it and it's in my cellar somewhere with some other unread books. I will read it eventually. That's Amin Mahlouf if I'm not mistaken ?
    Last edited by Sinan; May 04, 2007 at 09:00 PM.
    Add me on Steam if you are playing SHOGUN 2 multiplayer!

Indefinitely Banned

Excellent work CP. Very useful.

Do you have more info pertaining to things within Islamic lands? Like things happening in the Seljuk domains?

Excellent work CP. Very useful.

Do you have more info pertaining to things within Islamic lands? Like things happening in the Seljuk domains?
    Yup. Just have to wrestle them out of the books and off the websites, into my brain and then onto the boards LOL

I am still awaiting some books and will be updating this timeline ASAP and as an ongoing project, so we should have a huge amount of info to choose from, such as when military events took place, weddings, poetry and books written, births and deaths of famous (or infamous) people, ect... Least ways that's what I intend to do, plus incorporate the many postings of others into this timeline, so all factions get a fair deal, as well as important events that happen outside the area of our map but none-the-less influence events inside the boundries (such as when popes die or are elected, various scientific breakthroughs, new inventions, etc...)

Indefinitely Banned

Wow. Thanks big time CP. I want to have a very rich and continous historical events coming in. Almost edutainment for the player.

Wow. Thanks big time CP. I want to have a very rich and continous historical events coming in. Almost edutainment for the player.
    My thoughts exactly. Guess I am just a History Professor at heart . Maybe I should go back and get that Masters after all

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast