Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: What can Broken Crescent do to make gameplay better?

IrAr's Avatar Senator

Default Re: What can Broken Crescent do to make gameplay better?

The way to counter a shield wall is either missile cavalry or flanking. Basic tactics should not be needed as a mod. I do like the shield wall idea, but its up to the player to defeat them.

Member of Anno Domini: Italia Invicta
    This makes me a happy half armenian panda--John I Tzimisces

IrAr's Avatar Senator

Quote Originally Posted by Eraser View Post
    Very good idea IrAr. Maybe have a conscription type building that reduces the costs of producing levy troops a bit but cause loss in tax and trade revenue due to large proportion of society being unable to contribute to economy? Buildings that could perhaps give you access to certain units too but have negative penalites such as cause religous unrest. (for instance maybe christian mercenaries for islamic factions and vice versa resulting in permanent christian relgious influence in the province where its built) Could u also possibly work this in with maybe allowing some Shiite units recruitable but increasing heresy? Heard mention in another post of some shiite warrior order thingy, cant seem to find link but mayb you could use something like this?

Definitely should try and employ something like in stainless steel that gives more balanced armies in later game.
    I like your ideas with the religions. Freedom of religion-->unrest, but better troops.

Sinan's Avatar Senator

Last edited by Sinan; May 05, 2007 at 08:51 AM.
    Add me on Steam if you are playing SHOGUN 2 multiplayer!

Increase movement points...it shouldnt take 4 years to travel from Egypt to Persia

...But one year. That would be realistic.
    At the same time, though, I'm not sure I would like it. Being able to move your armies virtually everywhere in less than 5 turns (years) would leave little room for tactics and such. Imagine less tactical possibilities than in Vanilla. Now, we wouldn't want that, would we?

True we wouldnt want a siege fest but with the ability to recruit more units at a time should allow for more field battles no?

Btw if you guys need a beta tester or help with the Egyptian faction hit me with a PM.
    Last edited by Al-Masri; May 05, 2007 at 03:27 PM. Reason: shamless self promotion

IrAr's Avatar Senator

Maybe turns could be 1/4 of a year.

Sinan's Avatar Senator

That might be an idea.
    Add me on Steam if you are playing SHOGUN 2 multiplayer!

Quote Originally Posted by IrAr View Post
    Yeah that would be awesome, EB uses it to perfection.

Indefinitely Banned

I'm using 1/2 year per turn. I find it better since it coincides with the aging and winter/summer system well and is not super long as those 900 turn games or too short like vanillla.

Taneda Santôka's Avatar Artifex

I like your ideas with the religions. Freedom of religion-->unrest, but better troops.
    This is a great idea, especially in such a region where more then 4 religions colide!
    I'm also for the LTC unit balance.
    And will you have the minor/major settlement featur, as in ChivTW or Hegemonia?

Ermeni's Avatar Biarchus

would be great

edit

Quote Originally Posted by mirage41 View Post
    I'm using 1/2 year per turn. I find it better since it coincides with the aging and winter/summer system well and is not super long as those 900 turn games or too short like vanillla.
    i see your point

It has little to do with gameplay, merely aesthetics, but i've noticed in some screensshots that you still use (or just don't have a new one yet) the default general model for the 'western' factions (KoJ for example) It always annoyed the hell out of the that in vanilla by 1080 AD you have a fully late plated guy running around in your army. Deus lo Vult has a good General model.

Indefinitely Banned

As this mod is focused on the east, we will first make custom generals for all muslim factions... See "The Generals and Ghulams Thread" (its stickied). When we redo some holy land stuff (koj, egypt, damascus) we may indeed redo that general.

Nole4694's Avatar Procrastination Power!

Well this is a way old forum thread, mabye even before BC was released bbbuuuttt, this was the best place to put this. this might not give suggestions but it points out what i think is the weakest part of this mod

To be blunt: the seige AI either really sucks or there are some bugs to it.
    1. especially when using seige towers ounce they reach the walls and after the initial serge the unit just sits there. i must contiually click for them to get on the wall for even a few to start moving.
    2. If i try to get reinforcements (units waiting back at the line not actual reinforcements) on the wall they just stand there they dont even move yet it shows they are running on their unit card.
    3. on the wall my units mine and the enemies dont attack each other for sometime after the initial wave again i must keep telling them to attack to move them ahead.
    4. this is a base AI bug but is it possible to fix your units from just standing there if say one man getts seperated ahead of them and attacks the enemy.

Thats all i can think of now. Now this might just be me being overly critical because i never really liked seiges in the first place so sorry if i am.
    One last gripe this one might hurt the most though; the Vanilla siege AI or what ever atleast on the Seige Tower area is better than the BC. I just had to say it
    Edit: BC FANS; i love this mod it so awsome, so ummm dont shoot me
    Last edited by Nole4694; January 22, 2009 at 04:28 PM.
    God Save The King
    Gosse Durrant - Baron of Huntington - 24

Former contributor to the
    Go on! Take a look at their latest issue!

Under the patronage of the Black Prince

Quote Originally Posted by Nole4694 View Post
    Well this is a way old forum thread, mabye even before BC was released bbbuuuttt, this was the best place to put this. this might not give suggestions but it points out what i think is the weakest part of this mod

1. especially when using seige towers ounce they reach the walls and after the initial serge the unit just sits there. i must contiually click for them to get on the wall for even a few to start moving.
    2. If i try to get reinforcements (units waiting back at the line not actual reinforcements) on the wall they just stand there they dont even move yet it shows they are running on their unit card.
    3. on the wall my units mine and the enemies dont attack each other for sometime after the initial wave again i must keep telling them to attack to move them ahead.
    4. this is a base AI bug but is it possible to fix your units from just standing there if say one man getts seperated ahead of them and attacks the enemy.

Thats all i can think of now. Now this might just be me being overly critical because i never really liked seiges in the first place so sorry if i am.
    One last gripe this one might hurt the most though; the Vanilla siege AI or what ever atleast on the Seige Tower area is better than the BC. I just had to say it
    To be honest I found no difference in Vanilla and BC siege AI. The hardcoded AI is just deficient that's all, not much the BC team can do about that.

The key to your first problem is easily solved, you just have to find a piece of wall that's big enough that will accomodate your unit (short segments of wall will not accomodate huge units of 120-150men), then tell them to go there. They will move, and run into enemy unit and break out into a fight.
    After a short time things will get stagnant again and your unit will sit there with only a few fighting.
    Repeat the process to assault.
    Anri Sugihara

Click for more info

wudang_clown's Avatar Fire Is Inspirational

Old thread, but best place for my question:

Do you, BC Team, plan to make some field costs script, like the one in DLV, in nearest future?

Also: do you plan to make use of GED's Economics Package? Or improve BC's economic system in any other way?
    Last edited by wudang_clown; March 21, 2009 at 05:25 PM.

Achilla's Avatar Vicarius

Quote Originally Posted by Nole4694 View Post

For whatever reason this archeologic thread was resurrected, I will just say my 3 cents - vast improvement of battle AI for vanilla is a waste of time. It's simply nonsensical until BC is ported to Kingdoms, and then, we'd propably see a mini-mod adopting latest version of XAI if Strelac and the rest didn't want to make use of Xeryx work (or at least officially incorporate it to the mod).
    Man is but a shadow of his former self, encased in feverish delusions of grandeur.
    Ignorance is your shield, knowledge is your weapon.
    Heart without reason is stupid, reason without heart is blind.

wudang_clown's Avatar Fire Is Inspirational

Quote Originally Posted by Achilla View Post
    For whatever reason this archeologic thread was resurrected
    Well, I thought, that it is better to write in old one, than multiply new ones.

It's simply nonsensical until BC is ported to Kingdoms
    Wasn't it already done by LestaT? And someone's wrote in BC Kingdoms thread, that XAI seems to fit with BC Kingdoms. I also tried XAI but I messed up something and during the sieges, especially ladder climbing, there was a "stream" of men, one on another, it was annoying, so I uninstalled it.

EDIT: Oh, you already know that, Achilla, I've just found your posts on XAI subforum. Did you try to modify XAI on your own so it would be compatibile with BC Kingdoms?

EDIT2: Oh boy, just found St Naffatun thread, which BTW I've already read. It's too late for me to think effectively, sorry for bothering.
    Last edited by wudang_clown; March 21, 2009 at 07:42 PM.

Ah, I hate those field cost scripts. It may/should apply to sedentary factions but certainly not to nomadic armies who are basically self sufficient. One of their greatest strength is their elusiveness as they rampage wantonly deep inside enemy territory, and a field script would severely undermine that kind of manouvre.

More over, some factions are just so poor in the beginning that field script may cripple their expansion. e.g. Kypchaks who own vast tracts of unproductive land.
    Anri Sugihara

Click for more info

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast