Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Thread: What can Broken Crescent do to make gameplay better?

Indefinitely Banned

Default What can Broken Crescent do to make gameplay better?

Broken Crescent is a unique mod and will surely be a great game. However, our focus on the east will naturally cause some potential fans to think twice about this mod.

Now I want to ask all fans and general TW players what can we do in terms of battles, campaign, roleplaying, diplomacy etc that could really attract hardcore TW players, instead of just people interested in the east.

So tell me your thoughts and tell me your "wish-list" of what you wish TW could do more often or what you think other mods are lacking or succeeding in.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be much appreciated.
    Last edited by Miraj; April 30, 2007 at 08:16 PM.

The Mongol's Avatar Primicerius

Default Re: What can Broken Crescent do to make gameplay better?

All I can say is keep the building prices the same, good god I hate mods where a port costs 2000 and takes 4 turns.

But hey, that's just a preference of mine.

IrAr's Avatar Senator

You already have the ethnicity and religion traits.
    You are going to make much more exciting and numberable guilds than Vanilla.
    You have an eclectic, varied and accurate Faction List.
    "Wonder" like buildings that are either indestructible or spawn ruins that still retain a significant part of the bonus is all that comes to mind right now.

Member of Anno Domini: Italia Invicta
    This makes me a happy half armenian panda--John I Tzimisces

Have you considered adopting a more rock-scissor-stone type combat system for the units like Lusted has in his latest LTC conquer mod update to avoid elite type units dominating? Think that could have some strong appeal to hardcore TW gamers.

Greater penalites for heavily armed units in hot climates and vice versa for lightly clothed units in cold?

Ive seen in some other mods, for instance the forth age for BI,greater settlement diversification that can allow for more variety and better strategic element. heres a link:

http://www.thefourthage.org/features.php

Really have to see what the new patch will do for diplomacy and AI issues before they can be addressed. thats all i can think off top of my head at moment

IrAr's Avatar Senator

Bear in mind that before the public gets their hands on a release, one cannot truly gauge public interest.

I like 4th Age's city development, too. Good suggestion, Eraser.

Tadzreuli's Avatar Chevalier Blanche

The good question hes set mirage.
    here that I think of popularization of the mod:

1. assasins should kill "own" characters too, to install an intrigue in a royal court yard.

2. The player himself should choose the successor of a throne to go on a line of a direct royal dynasty. And a direct royal dynasty should have especial bonuses. For example:
    The governor of true royal blood should have more loyalty from the citicens, aristocrats, etc., otherwise, if the governor not from true royal blood, in the country will begin сепаратические tendencies from the nobility which do not want will obey to regent, etc.
    If with a dynasty does not remain lineal heirs, it is possible to transfer a throne to the representative of other line to whom time is required, what the nobility has declared its and its successors of " true royal blood " and such images a new royal dynasty has affirmed in the country.

Such opportunity will allow the player to take a great interest not only battles, but also to recreate virtual history of one dynasty and will play even more interestingly.

3. If will be civil war the player needs to allow to choose from both opponents on whose the party it to continue to be at war for again associations of the country. As it was in Medieval-1...

4. I think it is necessary to give more attention to dynastic marriages as in Middle Ages, such events had very big interest and bonuses, for example to receive in the inheritance one or two province of other country, or can the whole country...

5. To enable the orthodox countries to organize the religious centers (monasters or churches). For example it can be made so:

First it is necessary to agree with the ruller of other other country, that it would give you the sanction to build church or a monastery in the forighn country. Then at the orthodox monk or the priest should have an opportunity to build a building (similarly to forts, which are built by generals) - church and a monastery in territory of other country. Such centers will give the orthodox country much bonusses. it is for example known, that in Middle Ages Georgia had many the religious centers in Palestin, in Greece, on Chyprus and in other countries.... The religious centers will give the orthodox governor of the world authority and others bonuses...

Does the M2TW engine allow adding more diplomacy options and functions for them?
    Because a deeper diplomacy is something that would make your mod perfect. For example, paying a tribute in slaves (population) to another faction for it not to attack you. Or allowing them to recruit a type of soldier unique to your faction.

Im not sure if you guys have already done this, but how about the new structure of controlling provinces which will be seen in the upcoming expansion, TW: Kingdoms. So in order to take a province you dont just march up and capture one city. Say you have a huge fort with garrisioned enemy troops in the same province and if you take a city you can expect a counter attack. So in order to control the province you have to capture two forts AND the city in order to succesfully have it under your control.

Cos historically, it wasnt just capture this city and i have xyz province..it was i have to capture you, destroy that army to the north and then siege that castle in order to get control of an area.

Ermeni's Avatar Biarchus

Quote Originally Posted by The Mongol View Post
    All I can say is keep the building prices the same, good god I hate mods where a port costs 2000 and takes 4 turns.

But hey, that's just a preference of mine.
    amen to that......once i played i mod where a mine costed like 18000 and took 20 turns.......

and to be able to choose faction heir would be really cool....and some wonder like buildings like haga sofia, the kaba etc.etc

and some other small stuff like orthodox partiarchs, princesses for all factions (the muslim ones also , maybe already done)

and of course the diplomacy can always get better...stuff like breaking alliances or ceasefires the turn after they are conceived is "not funny" and when you have crushed a faction they should accept ceasefires or to become a vassal...

the ai generally must be improved as much as possible......
    Last edited by Ermeni; May 01, 2007 at 05:23 AM.

It would be nice if you could actually BUY an enemy army that is composed of units from another nation. Instead of bribing it to dissappear, i say it shud be possible to actually purchase the entire army to fight for your cause. Ofcourse, this should come with a heavy price, especially for large armies.

Quote Originally Posted by CelphTitled View Post
    It would be nice if you could actually BUY an enemy army that is composed of units from another nation. Instead of bribing it to dissappear, i say it shud be possible to actually purchase the entire army to fight for your cause. Ofcourse, this should come with a heavy price, especially for large armies.
    i agree with you when i remember right this was possible with Medieval I wasn't it?

I was interested in the descr_projectile file, so I took a look at Darth's:

What I have read in Darth mod is that he: -New special longbow arrow model (A gift to the longbowmen to give them the advantage they deserved). I'm wondering what this 'advantage' is, and if by editing the model of the arrow, it hereby makes them more powerful? I'm looking at DarthMod's descr_projectile file, and it may be that we can edit specific arrow types, and then grant these arrows to specific units.

I really want to suggest to Mirage that he take a look at this file.

Here's an example of the code differences, although I don't know what the differences mean:
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

projectile arrow3

effect arrows_new_set
    end_effect arrow_impact_ground_set
    end_man_effect man_impact_tiny_set
    end_package_effect arrow_impact_wall_set
    end_shatter_effect arrow_impact_ground_set
    end_shatter_man_effect man_impact_tiny_set
    end_shatter_package_effect arrow_broken_impact_wall_set

effect_offset -1.4
    damage 0
    radius 0.11
    mass 0.04
    affected_by_rain
    min_angle -85
    max_angle 50
    velocity 42 48
    display aimed
    effect_only

projectile pesarrow

effect arrows_new_set
    end_effect arrow_impact_ground_set
    end_man_effect man_impact_tiny_set
    end_package_effect arrow_impact_wall_set
    end_shatter_effect arrow_impact_ground_set
    end_shatter_man_effect man_impact_tiny_set
    end_shatter_package_effect arrow_broken_impact_wall_set

effect_offset -0.9
    damage 0
    radius 0.09
    mass 0.06
    affected_by_rain
    min_angle -85
    max_angle 50
    velocity 30 40
    display aimed
    effect_only

An uneducated look makes me think we could have "Hindi arrows" used by the bowmen of India, which could be unaffected by rain (If we make rain very common in the summer, or the winter, whichever has the monsoons, that would make fighting with composite bows in India more difficult). We may also see if velocity effects

There is also a new entry under the Naptha grenades, that reads: accuracy_vs_units 0.0625

It may be possible to apply that to other arrows. This would let us perhaps keep the damage of the Volley Fire Horse Archers less 'nerfed', but decrease their accuracy, getting more of a shower effect than a pinpoint accuracy.

I also wonder if velocity does not effect the qualities of an arrow. Sadly, I do not believe we can edit the distance the arrows require, so we cannot make fire arrows into a close range AP arrow (Which would let us have 1 Horse archer unit instead of 2).

The one thing that the game severly lacks is atmosphere in my opinion. Maybe the artwork for the game could be changed too be more middle-easterny? (Like the hub for instance). Also, consider adding some more middle eastern music to the game.

Douchebag's Avatar Vicarius

Make the units more better looking. Thats all I ask.

Indefinitely Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Hissing Fauna View Post
    The one thing that the game severly lacks is atmosphere in my opinion. Maybe the artwork for the game could be changed too be more middle-easterny? (Like the hub for instance). Also, consider adding some more middle eastern music to the game.

That's all being worked on

Atmosphere and immersion are the two things this game definitely won't lack.

Make the units more better looking. Thats all I ask
    Better looking than vanilla?

Douchebag's Avatar Vicarius

Yes!!!!!!! Especially kingdom of jerusalem units.

Indefinitely Banned

Quote Originally Posted by DigitalMarine View Post
    Yes!!!!!!! Especially kingdom of jerusalem units.
    We'll be coming back to the holy land scene soon as the core faction units are done. You can excpect a liberal use of the mesh editor on the crusaders and also egypt.

Broken Crescent will hopefully give players the best crusader experience.

IrAr's Avatar Senator

I cannot understand how AD and Strelac's work is not the most beautiful skins for the number that they have produced. 100 units already! Sure, some factions don't look as good as others, but that will be taken care of.

xxax's Avatar Senator

A more guided campaign...
    I get bored in M2TW when all i have to do is conquer 55 provinces.
    So maybe more missions which have a bigger impact if you don't complete them...

The crusades being a big thing kinda like the mongols, at least a couple of stacks...

To keep this short, more guidance in the campaign since it get's a bit boring if it's left the way it is now...

Sure, some factions don't look as good as others, but that will be taken care of.
    True, we dont have time to work on Byz and Turks...

Cheers
    "I don't want to sit around Windsor because ermm .. I just generally don't like England that much" - Prince Harry, 3rd in Line for the British Thrown

For King or Country - The English civil wars.

Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast