Thread: Historical battles bugs (?)

Default Historical battles bugs (?)

Hi everyone,

I love the historical battles.

When playing "Amida," I encountered a wierd bug:

The last of my dying troops were killed at the gate of the city, but inside the city, with the city doors wide open with the Sassanids not moving into the city center but just standing there!

The game didn't end showing the Sassanids as victorious with the usual stats, I had to manually end game!

Any idea as to what might have caused this weirdness?

hellas1

Default Re: Historical battles bugs (?)

I experienced this bug also after testing it from what you said. I'm going to try to fix it up and maybe release a new version soon if I can find what's the matter. Thanks for the heads up, Hellas1!

Feel free to post any more bugs you find in here, I will gladly fix them.

¡Saludos!

Hi S.K.,

How about we add the sack of rome & the battle of the milvian bridge to the historical battles?

I'll be checking for more bugs.

later, hellas1

It can definitely be done, Hellas1. When I can begin work on new battles, I will look into those battles.

¡Saludos!

Hi S.K.,

I'll do the research Faction vs. Faction wise.

Graphics wise, the two battles will need the following:

The Sack of Rome of 410 A.D.
    City of Rome (some modification on it, as it probably did change from Nero's time to 410 A.D. I'm not sure where to find Architectural pics though, I'll research it.)
    The setting should be in a lightly forested area, as Rome was the "capitol" of the West and the area was maintained by the Roman Government.

The Battle of the Milvian Bridge
    During this battle, the Milvian Bridge was actually destroyed!
    So, we need a busted Roman bridge and the setting is a lightly forested area.
    We need a river, where by which each army can cross over.
    (Similar to the Danube Crossing custom battle site)

I'll research more graphical settings and of course, Units and Unit Strength!

hellas1- Cool, man!
    Last edited by hellas1; April 28, 2007 at 10:58 PM.

Hi S.K.,

Unfortuneately, the sources for the sack of Rome in 410 A.D. are good but do not describe the Roman forces. Anyway, the people inside Rome kind of "gave up" per se and Rome seemed to be not that well garrisoned.
    Overall, NOT exiciting and kind of a joke.

I decided to scrap it. Oh well.

The Battle of the Milvian Bridge, however, is more promising. Here's what I got:

Disclaimer: Ancient sources for ancient army and cavalry sizes in battles are criticized by modern scholars as usually having exagerated numbers.

Constantine the Great Vs. Maxentius (According to Zosimus & Eusebius):

Date: October 27, 312 A.D.

No mention of Missile cavalry, archers, onagers or skirmishers at all, BTW, in the sources I got.

Constantine
    Infantry: 90,000 foot soldiers (German, Gallic, British with no mention of specific heavy or light troop count)
    Cavalry: 8,000

Maxentius
    Infantry (heavy and light combined): 170,000 (Romans, Italians, Tuscans, Carthagenians and Sicilians with no mention of specific troop count)
    Cavalry: 18,000

The landscape: An Open field near the Milvian bridge which was broken, probably by Maxentius to have Constantine fall into Maxentius's suspected "trap" and the Tiber River with a wooden bridge supported by boats, next to the broken Milvian bridge.

The Scenario: The suspected "trap" of Maxentius was to have Constantine and his troops cross a collapsable wooden bridge, supported by boats next to the destroyed Milvian Bridge and have it collapse on him.

Maxentius with his superior forces, had his back against the Tiber River and boat bridge, while Constantine was facing him. Constantine had gained the upper hand and was beating Maxentius, when Maxentius decided to retreat and fight at Rome instead of the open field. Maxentius tried to lure Constantine to follow him on the wooden boat bridge. The boat bridge was made to support a certain amount of troops only at a time and was designed to be collapsable, but strong also. While Maxentius crossed it with his troops in a mad retreat/rout with Constantine following, it collapsed prematurely on Maxentius and his forces and during the collapse, Maxentius and numerous amounts of heavy and light infantry drowned in the Tiber river.

Constantine made his way back to Rome and had ultimately triumphed.

hellas1- Comments and insights welcomed!
    Last edited by hellas1; April 28, 2007 at 11:08 PM.

Pompeius Magnus's Avatar primus inter pares

Great ideas and a very professional historical research. I am impressed.
    Hope the new ideas will included in the next major version of flagellum!!

Hi Silver Knight,

I played the Historical Battle, forgot the name sorry, where the Romans fight the Goths, who are in a circular defensive fortification.

When I 2x clicked on the heavy infantry, they just stood there not moving!

Please check this out.

hellas1

Quote Originally Posted by hellas1 View Post
    Hi Silver Knight,

I played the Historical Battle, forgot the name sorry, where the Romans fight the Goths, who are in a circular defensive fortification.

When I 2x clicked on the heavy infantry, they just stood there not moving!

Please check this out.

hellas1
    Did you right click to move them out of their position, or just double left clicked on them to centre them on your view?

Hi S.K. ,

I left clicked on the units and then double clicked on the area for them to move to and the just sat there!

The units in question were the 6 heavy infantry and it was the Battle of Adrianople, sorry.

hellas1

I haven't experienced that bug in the battle when I played it. That's very odd. Has anyone else experienced the bug?

Hi S.K.,

The first time I played Adrianople, the light infantry, from what I remember, acted o.k. to my directions, IF I remember right.

This second time of playing, about 20 minutes ago, I put the heavy and the light infantry in shield wall and guard mode and they moved when they wanted to! The General is acting bizarre as well. I clicked on him and double clicked to get him to move his ass and he finally did, almost dying in the process.

Can you please revisit "Adrianople?"
    Thank you sir.
    hellas1

P.S. Check out my Historical info in this thread about the Milvian Bridge.