Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: 2007 Hockey World Championship

Default 2007 Hockey World Championship

Unbelievable, this thread isn't up yet!

Anyway, the games, that take place in Moscow, started today. Usa won Austria 6-2 I believe, and we beated Ukraine 5-0. (What an A-hole referee BTW, we got one 10min and one 5+20 in addition to the penalties we were stupid enough to take. I hate playing against Ukraine, they just make other teams take lots of penalties).

I think Russia will win this time, except if they can't stand the pressure the home court gives them. Canada and Russia in the finals... Ovetshkin is just brilliant! Canada on the other hand has very few NHL players.

Finland will come 3rd, beating the Swedes in the bronzematch (and no, Sweden won't rise again), Czech will fail, Usa will be lousy as usual and the Slovaks won't make it to the level of the "traditional top countries". (Yes, I am 10 years behind in time).

And your predictions then?

Cyrus the Virus's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae

Default Re: 2007 Hockey World Championship

AS you say, I don't think we will take any medal. Not with this team.
    However, no one thought we'd win last year so, you'll never know

I'm happy as long as Canada or Finland don't win

"And the Heavens Shall Tremble"
    Resistance is futile™

"ehn sewr traih-sluyrds-lairareh"

Happy? I'm happy as long as Finland takes a medal, but I think we could have chances, with a great game, to make it to the finals. And I hope we will take the gold too. (And it is possible).

Seth's Avatar Libertus

Russia - Denmark 9-1. A good start, though the same was in 2000 in SPb. Hope we'll be in the finals this time round.

Tough start vs Italy, but got 2 goals before 1st intermission, then in 2nd period the game was over.
    Italian goalie was good at some points in the beginning, but in the end he couldn't stand up to the offensive.
    7-1 result.

Resistance is futile™

wilpuri's Avatar It Gets Worse.

Finland for the win. I believe in a just universe and that is why I believe that it is time for Finland to take the gold.
    The common culture of a tribe is a sign of its inner cohesion. But tribes are vanishing from the modern world, as are all forms of traditional society. Customs, practices, festivals, rituals and beliefs have acquired a flut and half-hearted quality which reflects our nomadic and rootless existence, predicated as we are on the global air-waves.

ROGER SCRUTON, Modern Culture

Spart's Avatar Senator

Had Finland beaten Ukraine 6-0 or more, I'd be rich
    Anyways, I'm waiting for a medal. I just hope we don't face Sweden in the decisive match, bad memories. Nah, I'm confident we'll beat 'em this time, they don't have much NHL support now, do they?
    Member of S.I.N
    Finns to the rescue!

How absurd men are! They never use the liberties they have, they demand those they do not have. They have freedom of thought, they demand freedom of speech.
    -Søren Kierkegaard

tnick777's Avatar Campidoctor

Is Kipper on the team?

I"M VERY EXCITED FOR THIS (even though U18's and U20's are my favorites)

GO FINLAND!

No, Kipper is not, but we have Norrena and Lehtonen. And Sinuhe Wallinheimo from Jyp in the Finnish League, but he won't get any playing time...

Too bad we don't have Saku Koivu and Teemu Selänne, with S. Koivu, Peltonen and Lehtinen we'd have Huey, Dewey and Louie again. (1995, when Finland won in Sweden).

I guess we'll have to settle with Saku's little brother; Mikko Koivu with Peltonen and Lehtinen on the wings.

BTW, Petri Kontiola has been excellent so far! He still plays in the national league, but I think Chicago has drafted him... Ah well, goodbye another player...

Petteri Nummelin had some nice wrist shots vs "Tanska" today.

Resistance is futile™

tnick777's Avatar Campidoctor

Rajala will dominate Finn hockey 2009 on

Kretchfoop's Avatar Civitate

I have a question for all you foreign (to me) hockey fans. I'm curious as to how popular this is in other countries, namely European countries. I'm an American and I consider myself a HUGE hockey fan, I watch as many NHL and NCAA (US colleges) games as I possibly can but I honestly couldn't care less who won this tournament. I get the impression from some hockey boards that Canadians care somewhat about the tournament but don't really get too into it either, but I'm not too sure on that.

I know it overlaps at least partially with the Stanley Cup playoffs and I think this has a lot to do with the lack of popularity. Many of the American and Canadian players are still playing and those that are finished sometimes choose not to play so they can recover from the long season or whatever other reason they can think of. I realize that this also effects many of the European squads. I know that say Finland for example, has it's own league and many of their players come to the NHL so obviously they produce quality players. Also I would have to think they would want someone like Selanne who is still playing in North America or someone like Kipprusoff if it isn't too late to add him to the roster?

So yeah I would appreciate if some of you could chime in on how your countries view the championship.

Well, it's a big thing here. What else can I say? Some players doesn't want to play it even though they are out from the Stanley Cup, but most want (at least if they are in shape and have a contract for next year).

Oh and I think I understand why American Hockey fans don't care about this, seeing as they often end up in very lousy positions...

The players Finland retrieved, many of them haven't played for so long in the NHL like the real Finnish veterans (Selänne etc), and when they played in Europe before going over the Atlantic they were many times on the team in the tournaments. They don't fail Finland.

Not sure anyone get it though..

Resistance is futile™

I don't understand what you're saying...

Kretchfoop's Avatar Civitate

Quote Originally Posted by Arakorn-eir View Post
    Well, it's a big thing here. What else can I say? Some players doesn't want to play it even though they are out from the Stanley Cup, but most want (at least if they are in shape and have a contract for next year).

Oh and I think I understand why American Hockey fans don't care about this, seeing as they often end up in very lousy positions...
    I don't think that's necessarily true. Yeah our international record in hockey is rather spotty but the same is true for soccer and I really enjoy watching the World Cup and the Olympics.

Quote Originally Posted by Arakorn-eir View Post
    I don't understand what you're saying...
    If I could take in some other language..I thought it would be difficult to understand..
    Last edited by Cyrus the Virus; April 30, 2007 at 03:05 PM.

Resistance is futile™

Town Watch's Avatar Domesticus

**** we're really getting our asses handed over to the russians
    "What do I feel when I kill my enemy?"
    -Recoil-

No, we got back to them in the 3rd period! Just without that ****ing Jarkko Ruutu (who, believe it or not, is actually our 3rd captain! Unbelievable!), it'd probably be a tie (so far).

Ruutu dragged them down

Resistance is futile™

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast