Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: USA sports?

Default USA sports?

How come the main sports in the United States don't have a international Tournament?

Eg Soccer Worldcup / continental tournaments /Uefa sponsored cups/ African Champions leagie etc. etc.
    Cricket Worldcup / Ashes / Inter continental tours etc. etc.
    Rugby Worldcup / Five Nations etc. etc.

I know there is a world series but does it include other continents?

This ain't a dig (I love basketball) I'm just intrested to find out why American Football,Basketball (excluding Olympics) and Baseball don't have international tournaments
    Last edited by Noble Savage; April 27, 2007 at 12:11 PM.
    Under the protection of jimkatalanos
    with further protection from
    Calvin R.I.P mate, Cúchulainn , Erebus26 , Paggers Jean-Jacques Rousseau
    and Future Filmmaker

Default Re: USA sports?

Because noone else plays them, so there'd be no point in "competing for the second place" while the Americans would take the 1st place each year.

At least in Basketball they don't.

On a sidenote, Finland has won the European Championship in American Football numerous times, at least about 10 years ago they belonged to the top...

Quote Originally Posted by Arakorn-eir View Post
    Because noone else plays them, so there'd be no point in "competing for the second place" while the Americans would take the 1st place each year.

On a sidenote, Finland has won the European Championship in American Football numerous times, at least about 10 years ago they belonged to the top...
    That my point, I bet many people in my native country ,england,didn't know there were such a thing as American Football Euro cup,I would watch it. Such a pity because I like American sports.

Note I was wrong about Ice Hockey ,there is a world cup for that
    and Future Filmmaker

Balikedes's Avatar Time to Rock

We do, we play in the world cup and in the olympics.

American soccer teams don't play in any EU or British soccer leagues...

Plus, our population is large enough to compete within the country. I guess Americans don't feel the need to compete with other countries...yet.
    Patron of Suppanut, relentless work, check it out.
    XGM Command - A Sub-Mod of the Extended Greek Mod and now included in Diadochi: Total War

HardSun on XBoxLive - Destiny and other stuff

Quote Originally Posted by Balikedes View Post
    We do, we play in the world cup and in the olympics.

American soccer teams don't play in any EU or British soccer leagues...

Plus, our population is large enough to compete within the country. I guess Americans don't feel the need to compete with other countries...yet.
    Yeah and your national soccer team and the MLS will be great (now you have Beckham over there) but what about your own sports. They are all technically great and I know Baseball is big in Japan but I just wish the rest of the world followed. Baseball is so much better than bloody cricket
    and Future Filmmaker

the_mango55's Avatar Comes Rei Militaris
    Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by Minibomb74 View Post
    How come the main sports in the United States don't have a international Tournament?

Eg Soccer Worldcup / continental tournaments /Uefa sponsored cups/ African Champions leagie etc. etc.
    Cricket Worldcup / Ashes / Inter continental tours etc. etc.
    Rugby Worldcup / Five Nations etc. etc.

I know there is a world series but does it include other continents?

This ain't a dig (I love basketball) I'm just intrested to find out why American Football,Basketball (excluding Olympics) and Baseball don't have international tournaments
    They do, except football

Basketball has the FIBA World Championship
    Baseball has the World Baseball Classic
    Hockey has a world cup
    ttt
    Adopted son of Lord Sephiroth, Youngest sibling of Pent uP Rage, Prarara the Great, Nerwen Carnesîr, TB666 and, Boudicca. In the great Family of the Black Prince

Last Roman's Avatar ron :wub:in swanson

actually, except for football, there are international tournaments.
    house of Rububula, under the patronage of Nihil, patron of Hotspur, David Deas, Freddie, Askthepizzaguy and Ketchfoop
    Go to Heaven for the climate, Hell for the company
    -Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by the_mango55 View Post
    They do, except football

Basketball has the FIBA World Championship
    Baseball has the World Baseball Classic
    Hockey has a world cup
    I didn't know that,thanks for pointing it out,Just wish it would have better coverage over here.
    and Future Filmmaker

There are indeed international tournaments as others have pointed out.

Why do we only do that once every 4 years or so?

Travel time and travel costs. Traveling from London to Berlin is no big deal. Traveling from NY to London, that's a little different.

MLB, the NBA and the NHL all have both Canadian and American teams. The Toronto Bluejays have won the World Series. You don't see any Spanish basketball teams in the NBA because it would be a logistical nightmare.

No one outside of the US plays Football (the US version) for the most part so an international tournament is sort of a silly idea. Even if Finland won the Euro Championship 10 years in a row, Isort of doubt they could even compete with the Raiders (currently the worst team in the NFL) As to Baseball, they just had the first world tournament, mainly Japan, Korea, I know Russia had a team but the real interest outside of the US is the Carribean and latin america. Given that Spanish is required to manage a pro team in MLB right now, that would give a hint towards the popularity of pelota in the latin island states.

Recently Goodell, commish of the NFL, has contemplated dropping one of the pre-season and adding a 17th regular season game, to be played in such exotic locales as London, Frankfurt, Amsterdam, Mexico City, Los Angeles. etc. So you might get the pleasure of seeing real football as opposed to that pathetic drek which is NFL Europa. Trust me, if that's your only exposure to the game, it's comparable I suppose to watching Premier Leage in the UK vs watching The Dover Coast Guard play the Surrey Milk Farmers Assc.

And don't knock cricket, it's five days of constant 'action' and I use the term loosely, but it is nice on a hot summer afternoon knowing that for the rest of the week there is a game going on channel 2 or whatever. Though yeah, it is incredibly dull for someone who was actually raised in the sport, let alone an outsider.

While talking about US sports, what about Nascar vs F1? Could someone explain to me that dichotomy, as I am not much of a motor sports fan so I can't really tell. Other then F1 repeatedly shooting themselves int he foot when it comes to spreading the love in the US.

Quote Originally Posted by ajm317 View Post
    There are indeed international tournaments as others have pointed out.

Why do we only do that once every 4 years or so?

Travel time and travel costs. Traveling from London to Berlin is no big deal. Traveling from NY to London, that's a little different.

MLB, the NBA and the NHL all have both Canadian and American teams. The Toronto Bluejays have won the World Series. You don't see any Spanish basketball teams in the NBA because it would be a logistical nightmare.
    I do see your point,but if there was more coverage in baseball and American Football there could be a world cup every 4 years. I know USA or Canada would win most competetions in these catagories but we all have to start from somewhere. eg The African Nations are getting a lot better at soccer and cricket (better than the UK teams sometimes) Maybedue to size and dominance of America in general has put off other countries trying to compete in "newer" sports. I for one am glad soccer has only just taken off there,because in a few years time I think they will be in the top 3 or 5
    and Future Filmmaker

Count of Montesano's Avatar Civitate

It should also be pointed out that in the first World Baseball Classic, dozens of countries competed and Japan actually won the playoffs. I guess we now know how all those European teams feel when their best pro players go home to represent Argentina or Brazil in the World Cup.

In all fairness to Arakorn-eir, there's enough international interest in baseball for countries as far away as China, South Africa, and Australia to field teams for the 2006 baseball classic.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2006_Wo...seball_Classic

You could also argue that baseball is a major sport throughout most countries in North and South America. Likewise, basketball is catching on across the globe too. It's been already pointed out, but in my mind the only American sport that lacks any international interest at all is football - and maybe NASCAR.

I forgot about NASCAR. Its so much better than formula one.
    and Future Filmmaker

Well the NFL has tried to get Europe interested in "American Football" but the going has been slow.

First of all there's tremendous resentment of anything American in Europe, especially now.

Second of all it's called football. This means it immediately draws comparisons to soccer, and many Europeans reaction is "they don't even kick the ball, that's dumb." I think they would do well to change the name for overseas marketing.

Third Europeans that I've talked with on the issue are obsessed with the fact that the people who play football are decked out in "body armor and kevlar." They view it as being not manly and point to Rugby where the competitors don't wear these things. Of course, rugby doesn't have guys who are 180 pounds and run a 4.3 40 yard dash suddenly colliding at full speed with guys who are 350 pounds, so that's hardly a fair comparison.

And how excactly is that?

Let's start with the obvious point in racing sports; Formula 1 cars are faster.

We compete internationally in our boxing circuits. Currently the americans are getting their asses thouroughly whooped by the russians and the british.

the_mango55's Avatar Comes Rei Militaris
    Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by Arakorn-eir
    And how excactly is that?

Let's start with the obvious point in racing sports; Formula 1 cars are faster.
    Actually, auto racing in general is pretty boring, especially long races.

I can watch any race for the last 10 laps and be entertained, but if I have to watch cars drive hundreds of laps around a track, whether it's a road course or just an oval, I am bored to death.
    ttt
    Adopted son of Lord Sephiroth, Youngest sibling of Pent uP Rage, Prarara the Great, Nerwen Carnesîr, TB666 and, Boudicca. In the great Family of the Black Prince

Well then good for you, as F1 doesn' tlast 100 laps, but 80 max.

Publius Clodius Pulcher's Avatar Senator

Nfl Europa is really sad. There's my 2 cents =P

Rest in Peace Smokin Levon Helm

Quote Originally Posted by Arakorn-eir View Post

first off the only reason y we dont win the basketball olympics ever single year is cuz the Americans dont play as a team and no body gives a **** to who wins as long as they produce good numbers in the real league, the NBA

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast