Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DOWNLOAD & FEEDBACK thread for the CNP Mod Add-on v 2.00

deRougemont's Avatar Yeoman

Icon12 DOWNLOAD & FEEDBACK thread for the CNP Mod Add-on v 2.00

Download Links:

Character Names Project Add-on v 2.00 for vanilla M2:TW v 1.2

Character Names Project Add-on v 2.00 for "Deus lo Vult" v 3.0, bugfixer 3 (download courtesy of chgo)

Character Names Project Add-on v 2.00 for "Lands to Conquer" v 2.3 (CNP v 2.00 is already included in the official LTC 2.3)

Character Names Project Add-on v 2.00 for "Stainless Steel" v 3.2 (download courtesy of finneys13)

Character Names Project Add-on v 2.00 with "Ultimate AI" v 1.5 for vanilla M2:TW v 1.2 (download courtesy of GrandViz)

What you will see
    :

1.) Authentic period names (with proper spellings and accents, etc.)
    2.) More diversity amongst names (the modified lists are larger than the vanilla lists)
    3.) All families will start the game with surnames/bynames
    4.) Popes will have proper regnal names
    5.) 13 factions with entirely new character names lists

Factions effected by this mod:

Denmark [~480 names. Authors: Atterdag & Vindahl]
    England [~490 names. Authors: Kingmaker & de Rougemont]
    France [~400 names. Authors: Kingmaker & Johan217]
    The Holy Roman Empire [~480 names. Authors: de Rougemont]
    Hungary [~230 names. Authors: Odovacar]
    Papal States [Only modified regnal names for Popes; ~60 names. Authors: de Rougemont]
    Portugal [~250 names. Authors: Manji]
    Russia [~300 names. Authors: ivan_the_terrible]
    Scotland[~180 names. Authors: finneys13]
    Sicily [~370 names. Authors: SicilianVespers & Black Francis]
    Spain [~350 names. Authors: Pelusa]
    Turks [~430 names. Authors: chgo]
    Venice [~320 names. Authors: de Rougemont, Manji, & Re Berengario I]

Please post any feedback, bug reports and conflicts with other mods in this thread. The most likely error you could encounter is a blank name. If you find a character with a blank name, report what faction this occurred with below. If you have suggestions for improving the character names of a faction, please post them in the specific thread for that faction here.
    Last edited by deRougemont; May 19, 2007 at 05:19 PM.

Black Francis's Avatar -IN-NOMINE-XPI-VINCAS-

Default Re: ★ DOWNLOAD & FEEDBACK thread for the CNP Mod Add-on v 2.00 ★

I would just like to say thank you.

Working fine with me so far after a couple of hours.

IN-HOC-SIGNO-VINCES

Because almonst nobody reacts to the new release, I wanted to say thank you too. This is a great mod and I'm anticipating a release for all factions!

I'd be very eager to use this, but I don't see a download link - has it been removed or am I stupid?

[edit]: Ah - found it Thanks for the mod!
    Last edited by Niccolo Machiavelli; April 30, 2007 at 06:11 AM.

under the patronage of Belisarius

Quote Originally Posted by Niccolo Machiavelli View Post
    I'd be very eager to use this, but I don't see a download link - has it been removed or am I stupid?

[edit]: Ah - found it Thanks for the mod!
    There's two clickable links in the first post in this thread (that's why they're blue)!

You mean these?

Quote Originally Posted by deRougemont View Post
    I've seen them, but the first one says it's a link to a download location for the leaked patch and the second one is for LTC 2.2 which I both allready had. Now that I tried clicking the first one, I've seen that it links to CNP...

under the patronage of Belisarius

Quote Originally Posted by Niccolo Machiavelli View Post
    You mean these? I've seen them, but the first one says it's a link to a download location for the leaked patch and the second one is for LTC 2.2 which I both allready had. Now that I tried clicking the first one, I've seen that it links to CNP...
    Yeah, those are links to the CNP downloads specifically for those two versions of the game. Thus there is a CNP add-on that works correctly only for vanilla M2:TW and another CNP add-on that works correctly only with LTC 2.2. I'll change this around a little so others don't get confused as well.

[EDIT:] OP wording reorganized...
    Last edited by deRougemont; April 30, 2007 at 11:04 AM.

After playing for quiet a while I believe that having the numbers of the respective Popes after their names does now work as I am always encountering armies/diplomats/merchants/ships led by people with numbers after their names.

It is fine if you are playing a England/Spain/Turkey/Roman Empire of the Greeks as you have little contact with the papacy in terms of agents etc. However it is awful if you are playing as an "Italian" faction or Holy Roman Empire/France as you are constantly encountering lots of mini Popes leading armies (or so it seems).

I suggest removing the numerals after the names. After all, I do not refer to the current Pope as His Holiness Pope Benedict XVI all the time (and I do talk about the Pope a lot). He is simply the Pope, Benedict or Pope Benedict depending on who I am talking to. I never use XVI.

IN-HOC-SIGNO-VINCES

^^^ The latinized names wouldn't fit for the other characters either would they (even without the numbers)? That's why I went the whole nine yards and decided to ignore the other characters altogether. It was all a matter of getting either the lesser character names all correct or the Popes' names all correct. Since you see the Pope's names in menus in the game more often than on the campaign map, it made sense to have their numbers. (I'm awaiting others comments on this. I'm not sure of what the best path would be).
    Last edited by deRougemont; April 30, 2007 at 02:51 PM.

I think that the Latin names are fine really. I think it conveys the fact that they are representatives of the Papal States. Where history is recorded in this era their names are in Latin (and indeed so is everyone really) and as they represent the Papal States (Latin is still the official language of the Vatican state after all) it is all the more appropriate.

In the end having their names in Latin alone is less of a leap than having names and numerals. It fulfils both Pope and people rather than just the Pope.
    Last edited by Black Francis; April 30, 2007 at 04:05 PM.

IN-HOC-SIGNO-VINCES

Hi,
    I like the names project. However, I've found that it does not work with the BigMap/Expansion 1.06. If I load a saved game with it installed half my family members have blank names (As France or England) - If I try to start a new game, it doesn't work - errors loading family members in the descr_strat.

The BigMap/Expansion does not use a descr_names.txt file, so it makes me wonder if this is truely a drop & play configuration of names or if you have removed some of the existing default name entries instead of just changing the display values.

Regardless, keep up the good work.

Thanks,
    BrandonM
    Last edited by BrandonM; May 01, 2007 at 10:32 PM.
    Under the patronage of General_Sun.

Quote Originally Posted by BrandonM View Post
    Hi,
    I like the names project. However, I've found that it does not work with the BigMap/Expansion 1.06. If I load a saved game with it installed half my family members have blank names (As France or England) - If I try to start a new game, it doesn't work - errors loading family members in the descr_strat.

The BigMap/Expansion does not use a descr_names.txt file, so it makes me wonder if this is truely a drop & play configuration of names or if you have removed some of the existing default name entries instead of just changing the display values.

Regardless, keep up the good work.

Thanks,
    BrandonM
    The CNP only works with what it was designed to work with: vanilla M2:TW and LTC 2.2 (only with them are the two downloads drop-and-play). It won't work with the Bigmap mods because they include expanded starting character lists which are beyond what will be found in the descr_strat.txt I've included. If you use another mod you will have to go through the entire descr_strat.txt and make sure the names there are also in my names.txt and descr_names.txt. Also, whatever mod you are using, it does use a descr_names.txt. It wouldn't function if it didn't. So, for other mods you will either have to rework the descr_strat.txt characters so that they are from the CNP lists or wait until the modder adds the names himself. Sorry, I would do all this myself, but there are so many mods out there that have new releases so often; it's just impossible for me to keep up with everything myself. That's why I only have the two downloads right now.
    Last edited by deRougemont; May 02, 2007 at 10:06 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by deRougemont View Post
    The CNP only works with what it was designed to work with: vanilla M2:TW and LTC 2.2 (only with them are the two downloads drop-and-play). It won't work with the Bigmap mods because they include expanded starting character lists which are beyond what will be found in the descr_strat.txt I've included. If you use another mod you will have to go through the entire descr_strat.txt and make sure the names there are also in my names.txt and descr_names.txt. Also, whatever mod you are using, it does use a descr_names.txt. It wouldn't function if it didn't. So, for other mods you will either have to rework the descr_strat.txt characters so that they are from the CNP lists or wait until the modder adds the names himself. Sorry, I would do all this myself, but there are so many mods out there that have new releases so often; it's just impossible for me to keep up with everything myself. That's why I only have the two downloads right now.
    Well, I know it uses a descr_names.txt, I just meant it didn't have a modified descr_names.txt - which means it should be using the vanilla names list. I'm not an expert on the bigmap mod by any means, but I'm pretty sure I didn't see one in there.

I know not to expect it to work with Mod's using modified descr_names.txt files - I was thinking the BigMap mod was using the vanilla names, in which case I should be able to drop & play. In fact simply deleting the descr_names.txt & text\strings.bin file from the mod folder made the names reappear & allows the starting of new campaigns. Which further my thoughts that it uses the vanilla names files. However, I'll test it out some more when I get home tonight.

If I were to use it in just vanilla - do I have to use the included descr_strat - or would it work with the vanilla descr_strat? (That will pretty much answer my question actually)

Thanks,
    BrandonM
    Under the patronage of General_Sun.

If I were to use it in just vanilla - do I have to use the included descr_strat - or would it work with the vanilla descr_strat? (That will pretty much answer my question actually)
    Yes, you'll have to use the descr_strat.txt I've included. I removed all the vanilla names in the descr_names.txt for the factions I've redone, which means that any vanilla descr_strat.txt names will not be found when the game searches for them. The game should crash when you start a new campaign if you try to use a vanilla descr_strat.txt.

If you load a saved game however, you should be ok except for those characters that received old vanilla names from the previous files (they will show up blank, as you've witnessed). But, all new characters created after you've loaded the game will receive names.

Anyway, let me know what you find out, I haven't had time to deal with bigmaps yet, so I'm only guessing at the moment...
    Last edited by deRougemont; May 02, 2007 at 11:09 AM.

Lusted's Avatar Look to the stars

Default Just been using the CNP...

..and i have to say great job guys. Currently got a campaign going as Portugal and im loving all the new names, though i have had a priest appear with ; for their name.
    Creator of:
    Lands to Conquer Gold for Medieval II: Kingdoms
    Terrae Expugnandae Gold Open Beta for RTW 1.5
    Proud ex-Moderator and ex-Administrator of TWC from Jan 06 to June 07
    Awarded the Rank of Opifex for outstanding contributions to the TW mod community.
    Awarded the Rank of Divus for oustanding work during my times as Administrator.

Vindahl's Avatar Citizen

Okay, seems that whenever I download the CNP for Deus lo Volt, and start a new game it just crashes!
    If I click the start new campaign button after having choosen a nation, it just exits to the previous menu. Anybody knows how to solve this? Anybody having the same problems with CNP-for DLV?

Vindahl's Avatar Citizen

Ok, I found the problem myself!
    In the CNP for DLV, the names-file is just a regular text-file.
    The real file should be a "names.txt.strings" file, like in the other two versions...
    It would be nice if you would fix that thing!

BTW, the CNP-DLV version is not working with the latest DLV-bugfix3! Just to inform you...
    Last edited by Vindahl; May 12, 2007 at 09:05 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Vindahl View Post
    Ok, I found the problem myself!
    In the CNP for DLV, the names-file is just a regular text-file.
    The real file should be a "names.txt.strings" file, like in the other two versions...
    It would be nice if you would fix that thing!

BTW, the CNP-DLV version is not working with the latest DLV-bugfix3! Just to inform you...
    Gah! Well, I didn't create or test the DLV download, it was done by a DLV fan. The names.txt is normally ok to use, but some peoples' computers (it's random) fail to create the names.bin file correctly. That's why I moved to including the .bin version of the file for the other downloads. I'll add the .bin it to the download...
    Last edited by deRougemont; May 12, 2007 at 09:29 AM.

DLV download reposted with the names.bin file.

Socal_infidel's Avatar PDER Piper

DeRougemont -

Thanks for the help a couple weeks ago with my questions about editing character's name. I finally got my French-Norman names into the game for Sicily. Nice to fight battles with Robert Guiscard and Bohemond.

Anyway, just wanted to inform you of some spaces and apostrophes inside the brackets that I found. I'm not sure if these have any adverse effects or not, just thought I'd mention them to you:

{Blazhei }Blazhei
    {Georgii }Georgii
    {Iadrei }Iadrei
    {Iakov }Iakov
    {Obeslav }Obeslav
    {Rogvolod }Rogvolod
    {Sedeslav }Sedeslav
    {Teshislav }Teshislav
    {Varfolomei }Varfolomei
    {de_Robles }de Robles

{Mael Muire}Mael Muire
    {De Luna}De Luna

This one appears to be a vanilla leftover:

{Ho'elun} Ho'elun

Thanks again for this Project. Looking forward to those Moorish and Byz names next!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast