Thread: Siege weapons

Default Siege weapons

Hi I've been playing Rome for awhile but never used any of the recruitable siege weapons, probably because I find siege battles boring and often autocalc them. I've been considering siege weapons lately because due to the incredible number of full stack armies the enemy fields I am attacked from behind nearly every time I lay siege.

My question is regarding their effectiveness. I love ranged units, usually including five to six archers in my legions to conserve my units. How effective are the onagers for anti infantry work relative to archers? Are ballistas any good?

pseudocaesar's Avatar Campidoctor

Default Re: Siege weapons

hell yes they are good, i never used to use them but now i never field an army without scorpions or ballistas. i tend to not use the onagers as thats too far fetched. they are great at thinning the ranks from a distance and are really useful, although dont place them too close behind ur troops, they are better used out wide on the flanks as they tend to shoot ur own troops from behind

Proud Roma Surrectum Team member.
    Local Moderator for Roma Surrectum forums. PM if you need help there.

Quote Originally Posted by pseudocaesar View Post
    they are better used out wide on the flanks as they tend to shoot ur own troops from behind
    I have no problem with that, mainly because it kills the deserters fairly well, thus implementing my policy of "not ONE step back!"

I also carry out purges on my generals who has lost battles or the stupid ones that can't govern.

Soviet style RTW is awesome.

Crusades
    Historical fiction - Fifty Tales from Rome

Can YOU dance like the Cookie Man?
    Improbe amor quid non mortalia pectora cogis? - The Aeneid
    I run an Asteroid mining website. Visit it before James Cameron takes it from me.

dvk901's Avatar Consummatum est
    Patrician

Quote Originally Posted by chaplain118 View Post
    I have no problem with that, mainly because it kills the deserters fairly well, thus implementing my policy of "not ONE step back!"

I also carry out purges on my generals who has lost battles or the stupid ones that can't govern.

Soviet style RTW is awesome.
    I'm glad to hear there is a true Roman amongst us. I too have a policy for my Generals...win and govern well, or you will find yourself fighting a full stack to the death with a unit of City Militia and basket of rocks!!
    My regret is that in RTW there is no option to order a General to honorably fall on his sword!!

Creator of: "Ecce, Roma Surrectum....Behold, Rome Arises!"
    R.I.P. My Beloved Father

aja5191's Avatar TWC Bearcat

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

That's how he's like on the Dev team, too!

if 1 of my generals lose a battle i send em 2 ireland lol with a couple conalists(sp)

Taelok's Avatar Senator

Best plan for useless governors / generals? Stick them on a boat and make them have a little ´accident´involving some pirates.

Only dream I ever have. Is it the surface of the Sun?
    Everytime I shut my eyes, it's always the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Taelok View Post
    Best plan for useless governors / generals? Stick them on a boat and make them have a little ´accident´involving some pirates.
    Better still, and this actually works, gather all your bad generals and governors in one army and clear out all the rebels from within your own territory. If you have a lot of these expendable units, conquer your neighbours with them. gl!
    Death be not proud, though some have called thee
    Mighty and dreadful, for, thou art not so.

aja5191's Avatar TWC Bearcat

Come on, guys. This is a thread for discussing the usage of seige weapons, and possible improvements to them. If you wish to talk about what you do to bad governors/generals, please start your own thread on the issue.

Thanks.