Thread: Added Regions Map - CTD 40 or so turns in

Default Added Regions Map - CTD 40 or so turns in

I added some regions to the vanilla map and on auto-run the game crashes anywhere from 1125 - 1160 at the end of the rebel turn.

If I reload, the game will either crash at the same point or it might make it past that turn but end up crashing anyway in the next turn or two.

I suspect ed this may be related to either pathfinding problems or problems with the added rebel garrisons. I removed all rebel garrisons from the descr_strat file and auto-ran a campaign and it made it past the prior crash zone and has now made it to Turn 80.

Obviously I'd like to add rebel garrisons back in, but am wondering what the problem could have been.

Two things come to mind:
    1- I made all rebel generals named character. Perhaps this is problem? Or maybe it's a problem with the name?

2-I may have assigned an invalid unit to a garrison. Which leads me to this, does the subfaction_"Faction" tag matter in termss of units?

Say I assign a unit owned by slave in EDU (e.g. Dismounted Frankish Knights) to a sub_faction france rebel general's army, is that a problem as france does not own that unit in EDU? thanks much..

Default Re: Added Regions Map - CTD 40 or so turns in

I added about 10 new regions to the bigmap mod but didn't bother adding any new garrison and it works fine. I found nearby rebal armies will move into them anyway. No problems and its now half way through the campain. Try taking the rebel armies you added and auto run it.

I have pretty much the same problem with only one exception, it's not the turn of rebels, but of some other factions, like Scotland or Egypt and so on. Tryed for some time to figure out what can cause this, with no success till now. The only way to continue the game is to load a save of 3-4 turns before and replay these turns, it helps, but after some time it crushes again which makes the game pretty annoying. I would be grateful for any kind of help or advice ))
    PS: I don't think your problem has anything to do with units, otherwise the game would crush much sooner imo.

figured it out.

I was using invalid or improperly formatted names for the newly added rebel garrisons.

when a character trait trigger fired on these misnamed charactres, it would crash the game. Fixed the names in strat file and was able to auto-run it to turn 150 or so.

Sorry for a stupid question, but how do you autorun the game?

Just put the disk out than back into your computer and you will get the autorun menu. Otherwise if you right click the launcher you should see an option that says autorun.
    I speak Latin to God, English to my friends, French to girls, German to my enemies, and Japanese to my PS2.

Creator of the Byzantine Enhancment Mod
    Version: 1.4

Quote Originally Posted by bkyn75 View Post
    figured it out.

...Fixed the names in strat file and was able to auto-run it to turn 150 or so.
    I meen this auto-run. How to make the game to skip turns without me doing anything? Otherwise it will take hours of stupid clicking, just to check if the problem is solved.

I'm not sure...perhaps play as Scotland and just keep hitting the turn end button. Otherwise I'm not sure.
    I speak Latin to God, English to my friends, French to girls, German to my enemies, and Japanese to my PS2.

Creator of the Byzantine Enhancment Mod
    Version: 1.4

Socal_infidel's Avatar PDER Piper

To enable "auto-run", add the following to your cfg file:

[multiplayer]
    playable = true
    hotseat_turns = true
    hotseat_scroll = false
    hotseat_autoresolve_battles = 0
    hotseat_disable_console = 0
    hotseat_disable_papal_elections = 0
    hotseat_save_prefs = 0
    hotseat_update_ai_camera = 0
    hotseat_validate_diplomacy = 1
    Then when you start up a campaign, bring up the console (usually by hitting the ` button) type in

control timurids

and then

control whateverfactionyoustartedthegameas

The game will then run on auto-pilot.

You may also want to add this to your cfg file:

[video]
    windowed = true
    It lets you run the game in a window. So you can run a campaign on auto-pilot and do other things too.

I also get this problem about 40 turns in, and on the rebel turn. It might not be exactly 40 turns in but it definitely occurs on the rebel turn. I have a custom test map with only two regions and two factions France and England. Could it be trying to trigger some imperial campaign specific event around turn 40 (pope event or something) and be crashing because something doesn't exist (eg no papal states, no pope)

alpaca's Avatar Harbinger of saliva

Try adding the hidden resources "no_pirates, no_brigands" to your regions. For me the crash was due to rebel spawning.

No thing is everything. Every thing is nothing.

Trajan's Avatar Capodecina

Moved to Mapping.

Has anyone found a solution to this besides simply disabling rebels? I've encountered the same problem twice now and removed the rebel garrisons. Any ideas?

alpaca's Avatar Harbinger of saliva

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry81 View Post
    Has anyone found a solution to this besides simply disabling rebels? I've encountered the same problem twice now and removed the rebel garrisons. Any ideas?
    I think it's not the rebels alone. I got crashes with a normal faction on their turn and I'm fairly sure it's the ai giving some bad orders. For example, it would crash earlier when I gave my AI the defend_deep setting.
    However, making the map very small seemed to help somewhat, so I thought that maybe the game tries to find out which settlements are connected to the settlement all over the ocean, hits some maximum threshold and crashes.
    Only speculation though.

No thing is everything. Every thing is nothing.