Thread: Is it possible to burn the enemy siege equipment?

Default Is it possible to burn the enemy siege equipment?

so is it possible?
    because in a battle last night, i was bombarding an enemy ram with two stacks of paesant archers, and it was looking like it is impossible to make it burn!!!
    so i am a bit interested in it, because in RTW it was nuts to burn the enemy siege equip. but now.....

Tiro

Default Re: Is it possible to burn the enemy siege equipment?

Rams seem to be about as flammable as they were in RTW, however Siege towers now set on fire quite often. Although, it seems like arrow towers have a much greater effect on setting equipment on fire than your archers do, because I have noticed only a slight increase in the number of things destroyed when I have archers.

I've burned plenty of siege equipment, but trying to do it with 1 or 2 archer units isn't usually successful. At least 4, and optimally 6 or more are needed to consistently take them down.

Sinan's Avatar Senator

Quote Originally Posted by burningsoul View Post
    so is it possible?

because in a battle last night, i was bombarding an enemy ram with two stacks of paesant archers, and it was looking like it is impossible to make it burn!!!

so i am a bit interested in it, because in RTW it was nuts to burn the enemy siege equip. but now.....
    Don't bother.

There's an bug which makes it impossible for archers to be effective from the walls.
    The embattlements make them ineffective.

You're better off targetting troops with archers. Let you towers target the enemy's engines. Use you cavalry or cheap militia to delay the enemy's engines as long as possible, giving your towers the time to finish them.

See here for reference:
    http://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?t=83719

Salute !
    Add me on Steam if you are playing SHOGUN 2 multiplayer!

but then making the siege tower to burn is important, or not?
    and is it possible to destroy the enemys ladders?

ive had battles where my towers have taken out 3 or 4 rams, and there have been times where they couldnt set fire to a single one. so i think its just up in the air. As for ladders i have never seen set a fire but i have seen them taken out by a cannon. GL

Sometimes i make sigs like mine, if you want one pm me.
    ~C3entur1on

Sinan's Avatar Senator

Quote Originally Posted by burningsoul View Post
    but then making the siege tower to burn is important, or not?
    and is it possible to destroy the enemys ladders?
    It is important to destroy the enemy's siege equipment as this leaves them exposed outside the walls.

The fact that archers consistently get more kills on flat ground there's little point in using the few 4-5 volleys they can fire, on siege equipment. It's better to use those arrows, which can give anything from 15-28 kills per archer unit in my experience, on the troops pushing the siege equipment. If you have 6 or more archers you could try targetting the siege equipement but in my experience it does'nt really help. That has also been the experience of most others who I've discussed this with.

Considering how the game mechanics make emabattlements hinder the archers' fire rather than supplement it, it not cost effective to have archers in a siege.

Javelinmen such as Irish Kerns do a lot more damage from the walls, than archers do. It's best to have spears and 2Handers at the gate, javelinmen, sword & shields on the walls, or, if you prefer, two decent melee archers so they can supplement their kills through missile fire in melee.

What I do is I allow the ram to get through because I'm best at defending the gate and killing everything inside it. Others may prefer to allow a tower to reach the walls as they defend better there.

Either that or my tactic is to charge the general into all the siege equipment backed by 3 heavy cavalry and missile fire from the walls. Destroy everything, then sally out and attack the AI, which typically is now in a condition to withdraw from battle.
    Add me on Steam if you are playing SHOGUN 2 multiplayer!