Thread: Crocop-Gonzaga

Trey's Avatar Primicerius

Default Crocop-Gonzaga

Did anyone just see Crocop knocked out with a kick to the head by Gabriel Gonaza? Huge upset. It was one of the worst knockouts I have ever seen, his leg twisted and bent under him as he fell to the ground. He was literally out cold. It was so sickening I couldn't see it more than once. I'm still stunned. What future ramifications will this match have? Was Gonzaga just lucky, or is he going to be a contender in the years to come? And could this be the beginning of the end, or worse, the final match for Crocop?
    for-profit death machine.

Default Re: Crocop-Gonzaga

hahaha, yes I saw it and my heart sunk to see crocop's star plummet so embaressingly.

laid low by his own signature weapon, that is just...unfortunate.

Who knows? Cro Cop came back from his humiliating loss to Randleman to kick many people's ass in Pride. But on the other hand, there's guys like Wanderlei Silva, who take a loss (like his to Cro Cop) really hard and have yet to recover. I hope Cro Cop shrugs it off though, hes a great fighter and deserves to go far in UFC.
    Patronized by happyho in the Legion of Rahl
    Quote Originally Posted by Eugene Debs
    The Republican and Democratic parties, or, to be more exact, the Republican-Democratic party, represent the capitalist class in the class struggle. They are the political wings of the capitalist system and such differences as arise between them relate to spoils and not to principles.

Jaccez's Avatar Libertus

It was a big upset, hardly the worst knockout I've seen though. Gonzaga pushed forward while Crocop just mostly stayed on defence, as far as I'm concerned, Gonzaga earned his victory. As soon as the fight started, Crocop was the underdog, he made a critical mistake by lowering his hands when Gonzaga kicked, a fighter who's as experienced as Crocop should know to NEVER drop his hands. He made a huge mistake and payed dearly for it.

If Gonzaga keeps this kind of action and pressure during his future fights and keeps getting more technical (Even if it was a good kick by UFC/Pride standards, it still was really sloppy and could use a lot more work, any good standup fighter who's well disciplined in Muay Thai and/or Kickboxing could have turned that situation upside down) he could go far, especially since Fertittas now own both UFC and Pride, there could even be a fight between Fedor Emelianenko and Gonzaga, assuming of course that Gonzaga can go through Randy Couture and become the next big name heavyweight.

Have to wait and see what will happen with Gonzaga vs Couture when it happens...
    Fighters never quit, Quitters never fight.
    I don't make the rules, but I do enjoy breaking them.

Cro cop was anticipating gonzaga to kick him in his side so he dropped his left hand to protect it.

He miscalculated however and gonzaga damn near kicked crocops head off.

How is his leg btw, it bent real weird when he fell, did he end up breaking it or anything?

Trey's Avatar Primicerius

Quote Originally Posted by RZZZA View Post
    Cro cop was anticipating gonzaga to kick him in his side so he dropped his left hand to protect it.

He miscalculated however and gonzaga damn near kicked crocops head off.

How is his leg btw, it bent real weird when he fell, did he end up breaking it or anything?
    I don't know, that was the worst part about it. You could see that it was still bent 180 degrees for a few seconds until the ref untwisted it. I smell a serious knee injuring. If so, those are hard to come back from.
    for-profit death machine.

Captain Arrrgh!'s Avatar I'z in yer grass

Garrrggg an' double Garrrrggg!

Watchin' dat pained tha Captain deeply, roight down to ma nutz!!!
    Oi hads hoigh 'opes fer Cro Cop, an' da see 'im get 'is ex-commie arse 'anded ta him in only 'is second Yoo Eff See foight! Tis the end o' tha wurld, Oi tell's ye! A dark day fer us awe.
    Arrrrghhhh!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Arrrgh! View Post
    Garrrggg an' double Garrrrggg!

Watchin' dat pained tha Captain deeply, roight down to ma nutz!!!
    Oi hads hoigh 'opes fer Cro Cop, an' da see 'im get 'is ex-commie arse 'anded ta him in only 'is second Yoo Eff See foight! Tis the end o' tha wurld, Oi tell's ye! A dark day fer us awe.
    Arrrrghhhh!!!!!
    God damn it Captain, it makes me dizzy reading your posts when I'm buzzed. The way you guys are talking about the fight makes me wish I had cable so I could see Cro Cop take his ass whoopin. Was it a long fight?
    The Republican and Democratic parties, or, to be more exact, the Republican-Democratic party, represent the capitalist class in the class struggle. They are the political wings of the capitalist system and such differences as arise between them relate to spoils and not to principles.

2nd roond. 1st roond, Cro Cop took tha breath oota Gonzaga wi' a kick ta tha ribs so hard it left a welt. Oi thoughts it would be an' easy kill fer tha Cop. Whot a bloody upset. I'm goin' back ta my cabin ta have a cry an' beat moi cabin boy.
    Arrrghhhh!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by rhinosaur
    God damn it Captain, it makes me dizzy reading your posts when I'm buzzed. The way you guys are talking about the fight makes me wish I had cable so I could see Cro Cop take his ass whoopin. Was it a long fight?
    not really, gonzaga looked like he knew what he was doing and cro cop looked kinda lost, like his head wasnt in the fight at all. He just backpedaled from gonzaga for a few minutes, all he really got done before being K.O.'d was a good kick to gonzagas midsection that left a big red welt.

awww, scurvy laden captain beat me to it

Quote Originally Posted by RZZZA View Post
    not really, gonzaga looked like he knew what he was doing and cro cop looked kinda lost, like his head wasnt in the fight at all. He just backpedaled from gonzaga for a few minutes, all he really got done before being K.O.'d was a good kick to gonzagas midsection that left a big red welt.

awww, scurvy laden captain beat me to it
    Well that's a bummer. I had hoped that Cro Cop would straighten out those bums in UFC post haste, but I guess he's in for a tough one. Has Gonzaga competed much in UFC before fighting Cro Cop, or was he supposed to be the knock over?

Avast, Rzzza, mate! Yer avatar be pointin' roight at me! Oi tinks dat be intimidatin'!
    But When yoo look at Cro Cop's past fights, 'e always 'as dat kind of ploddin' look ta him, like a Slavic farm boy figurin' out how ta fix 'is tractor, then....BAM! Lead left leg kick right in yer kisser, an' yer chewin on Cro Cop toenail all tha way ta tha hospital. Oi'm glad Oi didnt' put money on 'im dis toime aroond.
    Arrrghhh!!!! *FART*

usually cro cop is more aggresive though, he always has the stoic stare but he's usually more aggresive and active.

I've never heard of gonzaga before either, it was his first fight in the UFC I think. I believe he was lined up as sort of a stepping stone for crocop, thats why it became an upset.

When Oi heards "Gonzaga" Oi immediatly thought o' that wee blue wag whot plays da trumpet on da Muppet Show. Turns out 'e actually might be worth sumptin.
    Tha ting is, Cro Cop never underestimates 'is opponents, an' never gets cocky, so it be kinda sad dat such a serious fighter should get tooled so easily.
    (Edit) Moi mistake, first roond ko. Oi tought it wuz dar 2nd. Shave me belly wi' a rusty razor!
    Last edited by Captain Arrrgh!; April 24, 2007 at 02:39 AM.

Bwaho's Avatar Puppeteer
    From the kingdom of heaven by the powah of the holy spirit

what's with all the upsets lately?

First serra knocks out GSP and then some unknown stranger knocks out MMA veteran cro-cop. This isn't good for UFC marketing either, signing cro-cop was an expensive deal and they were expecting him to tear right through the HW division and become champion.

what's next? Fedor getting knocked out?

One good thing about all this is it prooves it's not the sham that boxing has become in the past 20 years. I'm still a big fan of boxing, but the industry is rotten to the center. MMA on the other hand is so unpredictable because the fight lineups are always par, if not fair. Also wins normally go to tko or tap out, which makes it a lot harder to rig the fight. Finally, the purse is a lot less - we're looking at a couple of a hundred thou for a UFC champ compared to millions for an overhyped boxer. The UFC guys are there for the fight and the purse, not the purse and a record lable *cough De la Hoya cough* We'll probably see MMA get rotten as the fame grows and the money gets higher, but for now it has a lot more to offer than boxing.

Bwaho's Avatar Puppeteer
    From the kingdom of heaven by the powah of the holy spirit

but they have a lot more power in the UFC to give the fans the fights they want to see.

They actually listen to the fans to see what they want. Dana White knows people want to see shogun vs liddell and the likes so the marketing in MMA is way superior to boxing.

Finally, the purse is a lot less - we're looking at a couple of a hundred thou for a UFC champ compared to millions for an overhyped boxer
    yeah, but I've heard the fighters (at least the top fighters) get extra money "under the table" so to speak.

I've also heard Chuck's been getting special deals like 1 dollar out of every PPV buy. In his fight with Tito there were over 1 million ppv buys...
    Last edited by Bwaho; April 24, 2007 at 04:55 AM.

Yes, that's true Bwaho, you can google some sites to see Liddel's and others' fight purse. Very impressive but still several decades away from boxing. I agree with you entirely about the better match ups in MMA. Come to think of it, I really want to see a re-match with Cro Cop and Gonzo. And I want to see Cro keep his hands up this time!