Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: CILICIAN ARMENIA -finished-

Default CILICIAN ARMENIA -finished-

Playing with the faction of Cilician Armenia will offer both great opportunities and great dangers ... Cilicia has rich lands nearby, but also warlike neighbours. The little armenian state is in fact in the middle of the struggle between Byzantium and the Turks, so taking side with the victorius can give great rewards....also some rich cities lie in the south, but the Egyptians and Turks are also aware of them ... of no less importance, is the fact that the armenians are along the highway to the holy land. Good Diplomacy wil be the key for the Armenian king .

Units - Armenia can count on some quite strong early units , the cavalry have everything , a good all around unit like standard armenian cavalry , mounted archers of good quality , the ubiquos Azaku elite cavalry and the powerful nakharars ... unfortunatly the infantry is not of the same quality ,yet the archers and javelinment are efficient and a rich king can afford some more armoured troops but anyway with the exception of the rare western mercenaries few troops can be relied on prolonged melees ...
    Last edited by Lord Condormanius; April 22, 2007 at 06:13 PM.

IrAr's Avatar Senator

Default Re: CILICIAN ARMENIA -finished-

Nice montage shot. Very good! I look forward to this.

glade to see it is finished

Cilician Armenia has very good skins definitely

respect
    Through your intercession I hope to see the light of Thy son and the light of everlasting ages !

ARMENIOS's Avatar Tiro

Looks like that I'm late here...

But anyways if (creators/mods) feel and have time for some small changes and adding, then I'm more then happy to healp with picturs and information about Armenian units.

P.S. My respect for a good job
    "Now I want you to remember that no bastard ever won a war by dying for his country. You won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country."

General George S. Patton Jr.

Eastern\Armenian historical advisor for RomaSurrectum
    Historical Consultant for The Sicilian Vespers

Ermeni's Avatar Biarchus

the name should actually be Armenian Cilicia

Armenian Cilicia = Cilicia is armenian
    Cilician Armenia = Armenia is Cilician (hmm no)

or just Kingdom of Armenia......

John I Tzimisces's Avatar Get born again.

Quote Originally Posted by Ermeni View Post
    the name should actually be Armenian Cilicia

Armenian Cilicia = Cilicia is armenian
    Cilician Armenia = Armenia is Cilician (hmm no)

or just Kingdom of Armenia......
    Nah, Cilician Armenia works fine. The Kingdom of Armenia was Cilician geographically, which is clearly what's being alluded to.

Ermeni's Avatar Biarchus

Quote Originally Posted by John I Tzimisces View Post
    Nah, Cilician Armenia works fine. The Kingdom of Armenia was Cilician geographically, which is clearly what's being alluded to.
    damn what's alluded? edit: the dictionary gave me the synonym "refer to"...so now I'm with you

but it sounds a bit strange = Cilician Armenia...i'm not the best on English grammar but the name cilician armenia makes Armenia cilician even though cilicia was Armenian (= Armenian cilicia...well i hope you get my point...I'm strong I'll survive even though it'll be called cilician Armenia

Lord Condormanius's Avatar Artifex

Quote Originally Posted by John I Tzimisces View Post
    Not to mention the fact that every single reference that I have ever seen has refered to the faction as Cilician Armenia.
    "There is a difference between what is wrong and what is evil. Evil is committed when clarity is taken away from what is clearly wrong, allowing wrong to be seen as less wrong, excusable, right, or an obligatory commandment of the Lord God Almighty.

Evil is bad sold as good, wrong sold as right, injustice sold as justice. Like the coat of a virus, a thin veil of right can disguise enormous wrong and confer an ability to infect others."
    -John G. Hartung

damn what's alluded? edit: the dictionary gave me the synonym "refer to"...so now I'm with you

but it sounds a bit strange = Cilician Armenia...i'm not the best on English grammar but the name cilician armenia makes Armenia cilician even though cilicia was Armenian (= Armenian cilicia...well i hope you get my point...I'm strong I'll survive even though it'll be called cilician Armenia
    I know English Grammar is kind of tough sometimes. think of it this way...The Kingdom of Armenia existing in Cilicia = Cilician Armenia.
    "There is a difference between what is wrong and what is evil. Evil is committed when clarity is taken away from what is clearly wrong, allowing wrong to be seen as less wrong, excusable, right, or an obligatory commandment of the Lord God Almighty.

Evil is bad sold as good, wrong sold as right, injustice sold as justice. Like the coat of a virus, a thin veil of right can disguise enormous wrong and confer an ability to infect others."
    -John G. Hartung

Ermeni's Avatar Biarchus

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Condormanius View Post
    Not to mention the fact that every single reference that I have ever seen has refered to the faction as Cilician Armenia.
    lol as i see it it's a very big misconception...

though the best name would still be Kingdom of Armenia.....that's also the name other mods have chosen (like broken crescent and the sicilian vespers)

lol as i see it it's a very big misconception...

though the best name would still be Kingdom of Armenia.....that's also the name other mods have chosen (like broken crescent and the sicilian vespers)
    Histories written in the English language refer to the faction as Cilician Armenia...probably to differentiate from the Kingdom of Armenia (which existed earlier, in Armenia).

-John G. Hartung

Ermeni's Avatar Biarchus

Histories written in the English language refer to the faction as Cilician Armenia...probably to differentiate from the Kingdom of Armenia (which existed earlier, in Armenia).
    well some histories say that the name where lesser armenia (which is very wrong)......i doubt that the people of the actual time of the mod had problems to differentiate the armenian kingdom in cilicia with the ancient armenian kingdom....

your the boss...and it's your mod....really nice to see your progress ...and i see forward to play the mod no matter what name there is on the Armenian faction...ill still be grateful
    Last edited by Ermeni; May 11, 2007 at 09:07 PM.

i doubt that the people of the actual time of the mod had problems to differentiate the armenian kingdom in cilicia with the ancient armenian kingdom....
    True, but as you and I both know, many of these kingdoms are named later. Take the Byzantines...they did not call themselves Byzantines. Medieval was a term that was not used until the Renaissance. What I meant was that the label Cilician Armenia is used to differentiate for people later on...like us.

Your map is interesting. I have usually seen it the other way around. At any rate, the final name will reflect what those people actually called themselves, as we do with all of our factions.

LC

-John G. Hartung

Armenian Cilicia is more correct, and is used by all of the mods that don't just call it Armenia, but I guess Cilician Armenia is fine too. Maybe you could do the native name like you have for the others? That would be, Kilikioh Haykakan Harusdutiunuh.
    Under the patronage of John I Tzimisces

Quote Originally Posted by Drtad View Post
    Armenian Cilicia is more correct, and is used by all of the mods that don't just call it Armenia, but I guess Cilician Armenia is fine too. Maybe you could do the native name like you have for the others? That would be, Kilikioh Haykakan Harusdutiunuh.
    Honestly, at this point I think it is a matter of semantics. At any rate, our intention was always to put it in the native tongue, and put the English in the faction description.

Thank you for the name. Do you have a literal translation into English? I can make out the Cilicia (Kilikioh) part, but the rest is ... I imagine it means some arrangement of 'kingdom' and 'Armenia'. Also, any special alphabetic characters would be nice (if there are any).

-John G. Hartung

Honestly, at this point I think it is a matter of semantics. At any rate, our intention was always to put it in the native tongue, and put the English in the faction description.

Thank you for the name. Do you have a literal translation into English? I can make out the Cilicia (Kilikioh) part, but the rest is ... I imagine it means some arrangement of 'kingdom' and 'Armenia'. Also, any special alphabetic characters would be nice (if there are any).
    A literal translation would be:

Kilikioh= Cilicia's
    Haykakan= Armenian
    Harusdutyunuh= Dynasty

Literally in Armenian, this is what it is called. Since it was not a kingdom at first, they call it a dynasty, it is sort of an idiomatic statement. Technically it would be the Rupenian instead of Haykakan, but since there were dynastic changes Haykakan should work just as well. If you want kingdom instead, replace Harusdutyunuh with Takavorutyunuh.
    Under the patronage of John I Tzimisces

IrAr's Avatar Senator

What do you mean by special characters? The Armenian alphabet is not a derivative of the Latin one, as you probably know.

Member of Anno Domini: Italia Invicta
    This makes me a happy half armenian panda--John I Tzimisces

ok but really giving a name takes 40 seconds in the related txt files and dont influence the "reasonable historic course" of the faction that is the thing i care the most .

ARMENIOS's Avatar Tiro

Fra70 and Lord Condormanius

Is there absolutely no way to make some small changes and adding units to Armenian Cilicia???
    "Now I want you to remember that no bastard ever won a war by dying for his country. You won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country."

General George S. Patton Jr.

Eastern\Armenian historical advisor for RomaSurrectum
    Historical Consultant for The Sicilian Vespers

sure if something is really needed to make it more historically accurate

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast