Thread: [Infodesk] Chivalry II : General Project Info + Frequently Answered Questions - FAQ

DaVinci's Avatar TW Modder 2005-2016
    Patrician Artifex

The plastic poisoned and d(r)ying surface of planet Earth in before Armageddon

Default [Infodesk] Chivalry II : General Project Info + Frequently Answered Questions - FAQ

1.) General Project Info
    2.) Frequently Answered Questions - FAQ

1.) General Project Info

This is a non-commercial fan based modification project of the copyrighted pc-game Medieval II: Total War - by CA/SEGA. The modified files (modfoldered) are in the ownership of the mod team, respectively by the mod leader.

Main Content Info

The project contains different era campaigns on MIITW/Kingdoms expansion platforms:
    - Campaigns are from the Early, High and Late Middleage, plus campaigns from the late Dark Age, and from the Early and High Renaissance.
    - Alterations/content additions for the map, factions, units, combat, traits&ancillaries, characters, tech-tree, buildings, scripts, graphics, and a lot more.
    - The main goals are a historical-realism design with a challenging gameplay.
    - The mod uses several implemented minimods which add to the planned design. These components got or get alterations to seizing them into the mod.

[For other content info, just look into the release/preview topics]

Side-info: The ones who like this mod here, will also like the total conversion mod Chivalry I TW - Chivalry II SV is the successor mod project just on the M2/Kingdoms platform.

---

Release Info

Published / current version:

- On MIITW Kingdoms Expansion platform: (mod installation should be compatible with every M2/Kingdoms patch since 1.02)
    Chivalry II : The Sicilian Vespers 3.0 - Playable Campaigns: Dark Age, Early Era, High Era, Late Era, Renaissance Era.
    Plus: 3.x patch versions

Former version:

- On MIITW platform: (mod installation should be compatible with every M2/Kingdoms patch since 1.02)
    The Sicilian Vespers 2.5 + Hotfixes - Playable Campaigns: Late Era, Early Era and a Renaissance Era.
    Link: SV 2.5 release thread

---

The Team

Creator and sole developer of 'The Sicilian Vespers' (SV) version 1.x/2.0 until March 2007: SicilianVespers
    See this thread for the older SV versions 1.x - 2.0 Downloads

Since the development of higher versions than SV 2.0 (since April 2007):

Core Team

# SicilianVespers (SV) - Mod Leader, Main Developer.
    Coding, scripting, discussing, developing through all mod files.
    Special departments: map+unit skinning/modeling, campaign setting, 2d graphics designing, implementing of sub/mini-mods, moderating, producing public release setups.

# DaVinci (DV) - Mod Co Leader, Main Developer
    Coding, scripting, discussing, developing through all mod files.
    Special departments: building/tech-tree creating, combat+campaign balancing, 2d graphics (buildings, events), managing beta testing, moderating.
    -> Since post-2.7 versions, DaVinci is not longer working active on files, while version 2.7 has been a major overhaule of the mod content, and a lot lifetime has been sacrificed to give the former 'SV 2.5' mod finally the planned 'Chivalry gameplay'. The follow up on the internal 2.7 was the published version 3.0 with a lot other updates done by SV alone. Activities by DV in this mod project is still some advice/discussion etc. within the dev forum with SV himself, and from time to time active as public forum moderator. Edit: Since about mid 2009 i have no longer time to contribute anything in this project ... there might remain some very little help as moderator from time to time, occasionally some small advice within the dev forum, if SV asks for something special, ie. just needs an opinion.

# Lorre - Developer
    Dev version testing+consulting, unit skinning, graphics designing, focus faction consulting Genoa + Italians, helps moderating
    (left the team as for real life duties, inactive since internal SV 2.6)

Extended Team, betatesting + consulting within the beta testing forum
    (inactive since internal SV 2.6)

# Drtad - testing, consulting Armenia/Asia Minor/Near-East, helps moderating public forum, modding assistance planned
    # Drak - currently inactive, eventually modding planned
    # Karo - testing
    # Basileios - testing/consulting everything of and around Byzantium
    # Taneda Santoka - testing
    # beezneez - testing/focus Renaissance campaign
    # Greenstone11 - testing
    # Quark - testing, modding assistance planned
    # Sultan Saigon - testing
    # Duke Gibbons - testing
    # Atterdag - consulting Scandinavia, modding assistance planned
    # IkusaIX - testing
    # Germanicus - testing
    # Sosobra -testing
    # masterproctor77 - testing
    # The Fuzz - testing
    # palatinae - testing
    # Basileos (another one) - testing
    # ConstantineVII - testing
    # Trygvasson - testing
    # Many thanks go also, for betatesting internal SV 2.1.x versions, to: notger, butcher and Fuzz.

Special Guest(s):

# Aeneas Veneratio - worked on loading screens (inactive)

Free-Lancers

Different Contributors (via public forum posts/pm's)
    - Consulting (faction things etc.)
    - Researching (several things)

Especially ...
    # Herbsman - researcher characters/family trees for Renaissance era campaign, and also for the Dark Age campaign.

# And more contributors since post-3.0 version, see credits in the release post.

---

Install Info

The mod runs with its own mod folder and doesn't change any of the vanilla MIITW data. Means, the vanilla game can be played as prior to the mod installation.

-> Installation Requirements
    SV 2.5 requires MIITW 1.0, patched to version MIITW 1.02 (or also calling '1.2'), unmodified.
    Compatible with MIITW patch 1.03 (or also calling '1.3'). Hint: to my knowledge, patch 1.03 isn't standalone, means, first install 1.02 and then 1.03 patches and then higher patches.
    SV 2.5 is compatible with the MIITW Kingdoms expansion installed and its patches.
    Chiv II SV 3.0 and higher requires Kingdoms Expansion installed, unmodified.

Remove any former SV mod install files (or rename the former modfolder) - that means, provide a fresh install of the latest mod version if it is a full modfolder release.
    Eventually apply the mod-uninstall.exe to get rid of the previous mod installation, if you don't provide it manually.

-> Setup The Sicilian Vespers 2.5
    Run the installer, path pointed to your MIITW directory, by default: C:\Program Files\SEGA\Medieval II Total War
    If the mod is installed, then the default local path is: C:\Program Files\SEGA\Medieval II Total War\SicilianVespers

Mod Patch-Version Installations: Smaller releases, that are patches on a full mod installation can be executed direct on the former installation without removing any former installed mod files, if there is no explicite other installation-instruction (same is valid for hotfixes).

-> Game Start
    - Start the game with the shortcut that automatical was thrown on your desktop during the mod installation.
    - This shortcut is a .bat launcher file, which can be opened via any txt-editor tool. Non-english MIITW versions must get a corrected directory-path in this .bat file: See the how-to in the stickied thread "Non-English MIITW Version".
    - Campaign-launcher:
    Select/type e ( or E ) for Early era campaign and then the Custom Campaign, chose Early Era.
    Select/type r ( or R ) for Renaissance campaign and then the Custom Campaign, chose Renaissance Era.
    Select/type l ( or L ) for Late era campaign and then the Grand Campaign, chose Late Era.

(All other campaign launcher menu points are only ingame event-steered features).

And Chivalry II SV 3.0 or higher: As above, except ...

-> Setup Chivalry II : The Sicilian Vespers 3.0
    Run the installer, path pointed to your MIITW directory, by default: C:\Program Files\SEGA\Medieval II Total War
    If the mod is installed, then the default local path is: C:\Program Files\SEGA\Medieval II Total War\mods\SicilianVespers

-> Game Start
    Campaign-launcher:
    Select/type d ( or D ) for Dark Age campaign and then the Custom Campaign, chose Dark Age.
    Select/type h ( or H ) for High Era campaign and then the Custom Campaign, chose High Era.

... and no non-english-version fix needed!

Difficulty recommendation: Campaign M-VH / Battle M-VH
    (just depends on your personal taste/preferences, and/or your player experience)

---

A Necessary Fix:

Valid for SV 2.5 only

A ctd-fix for all non-english MIITW versions due to incompatible sound files.

Do the following two steps after the correct installation of the SV mod:

1. Delete 4 files: every file contained in the folder SicilianVespers\data\sounds
    2. Copy 2 files: events.dat and events.idx from Medieval II Total War\data\sounds to SicilianVespers\data\sounds
    (the fix is saved game compatible)

---

Development Sites

... released or work in progress:

- Unit, faction/unit recolouring, reskinning, remodelling, new models
    - Garrison script, diverse different scripts
    - Map, start situation updates (balancing, historical corrections ... new regions)
    - Concrete win conditions (historical based)
    - Mercenary pool (balancing)
    - Combat (balancing)
    - Tech-tree (balancing)
    - Historial events and in-game events/messages (new ones)
    - Special event features (like faction promotions ie. duchy becomes kingdom at historical date)
    - Name and description changes (characters, units, factions, settlements/regions, buildings, etc.)
    - Diverse graphic elements overhaule (ie. CoA's)
    - New traits and ancillaries (plus adjustments on the incl. BBB content)
    - Economy system (special buildings, map infrastructure, traits&ancs)
    - Building strings (several new buildings, incl. a ZoC = zones of construction)
    - Recruitment system (incl. a ZoR = zones of recruitment and AoR = auxilliary of regions)
    - and a lot more.

---

Implemented Mods/Minimods (since SV 2.5, extract only)

(See the release post/readme(s) for the full credits of contributing mods and conbtributors).

- Regions & Provinces (the map as base)
    - Ultimate AI 1.5
    - Blood, Broads, & Bastards v2.0+
    - DB Heraldry for Regions & Provinces
    - Byzantium Armor Progression V 0.7
    - Burrek's Knights & Knaves 0.95
    - Burrek's Blood & Dirt 0.91
    - Eternal Turk Reskin 1.1
    - Horsearcher's Effects & Skymods
    - Kings Banner Mod 2.0
    - Orders Mod 1.2
    - Muslim General´s Barded horse mod
    - DG's One Faction at a Time Project
    - K.K's Battle Banners for M2TW
    - probable more that now slipped through here in this list

---

Permissions

Private use of our mod material is free. In all other cases, contact the mod leader.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2.) Frequently Asked Questions - FAQ
    (More content will be added with the time)

I Technique

Which MIITW version is the requirement to run this mod?

Until version 2.5 (+ Hotfixes) you need to have MIITW installed, compatible with M2 patches 1.1, 1.2 or 1.3 (Kingdoms installed), should be compatible with later patch versions as well.
    For all mod versions after 2.5 (+ Hotfixes), you need to have Kingdoms installed, should be compatible with later patch versions as well.

Can i play further the M2 vanilla games (also Kingdoms) after the mod installation?

Yes you can. The mod installation changes no original game files due to the modfolder.

Can i run this mod parallel to other mods?

Eventually yes, make sure that the other mods won't change original M2 vanilla (or Kingdoms) files, and that they are modfoldered as well.

SV 2.5 only: My game crashes when I click on a diplomat/princess/priest or a military unit

You are probably playing with a non-english version of Medieval II. Follow the instruction of this thread to solve the problem http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=99547

I can't load the Early Era Campaign, it starts in the Late era, but I loaded the mod with the correct "E" key...

Here is the way to start campaigns correct:
    Late era: Choose L in the campaign launcher, and then the GRAND CAMPAIGN
    Early era: Choose E in the campaign launcher, and then the CUSTOM CAMPAIGN
    Renaissance era: Choose R in the campaign launcher, and then the CUSTOM CAMPAIGN
    and since SV 3.0:
    Dark Age: Choose D in the campaign launcher, and then the CUSTOM CAMPAIGN
    High era: Choose H in the campaign launcher, and then the CUSTOM CAMPAIGN

(only the Late era campaign is linked to the Grand Campaign button)

Help ... it seems my campaign doesn't start.

The mod will need some time before it has created the map for the chosen campaign. This is dependent on your computer performance.
    (Just consider that this mod comes with a large data base/multiple different campaign files).

My game crashes to desktop (CTD) and I don't know why...

The mod is normally very stable. Check the .log file in your /logs directory under the main dir of Medieval 2, copy and paste its text into the appropriate stickied bug thread to give us an idea.
    Also, try to repeat the error by doing the same thing you did when the game crashed, and report in all details, especially if it seems there is no according error-log.

(Of course make sure your original M2 directory files are unmodified. Ie. check if your M2 vanilla game plays normal).

It seems i found a graphical bug with unit(s) x ...

If possible for you, provide a screenshot, plus the unit name(s), and description about the bug. Put the report as well into the concerning bug thread.

My game settings (under options etc. and preferences) don't work proper in this mod, what ...?

Open your M2 directory and double-click the cfgfixer.bat, after you have provided the settings in the vanilla M2, then your settings will be kept for the mod as well.

I wanna change some preferences settings, how ...?

Just open the M2 directory and find/open SicilianVespers.cfg, make there your setting-changes. Make sure, that you'll do it properly along possible codes.

How can i uninstall the mod?

Open the M2 directory, and run uninstall.exe (the one for our mod). Eventually remove some left mod files manually, although those files won't destroy anything if they remain as they are as well seperated and don't concern the M2 vanilla files.

Since SV 3.0: The SV modfolder is included in the mods folder of the M2 directory.

Is the mod compatible with the Steam version of M2?

Open up the main Medieval 2 folder, and look for the batch file for Sicilian Vespers. Right click and click edit. Then copy the @Siclian...cfg part once the notepad file pops up.
    Then open up steam...once its opened go to medieval 2 and go to the properties... once you do that click on set launch options, and paste that.
    Once that is done you will be able to play it by clicking on medieval 2 icon, once that is done you should load up the mod, however you wont be able to play the vanilla version of the game
    by reversing the changes you can play it again, the two other campaigns will be under custom.
    Since SV 3.0:
    -> See the extra stickied thread.

Is the mod compatible with Vista?

Yes.
    -> See the extra stickied thread.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

II Gameplay

I think there is something unbalanced, what seems to me like a possible bug, or worth to improve.

Write this down as well into the according bug thread.
    Whereas, the whole balance is work in progress, provide your ideas/suggestions in the respective threads.

I would like to know, what is the best difficulty setting for this mod?

The best game experience regarding the mod design is with: Version SV 2.5/HotFixes
    Campaign = Medium or Hard (depends on the chosen faction and experience)
    Not recommended is: Campaign = Very Hard
    Battle = Hard or Very Hard (depends on the chosen faction and experience).

For SV 3.0 and higher versions: Campaign H, Battle H or VH

I loose big amounts of money each turn without that i can see the source of these costs ...?

That's the field-cost script:
    You have to pay per turn 500 F. for each character general in your territory outside of your settlements
    and you have to pay 1000 F. for each character general outside of your territory.

This is to simulate the historical costs of supporting an army in the field. To solve this in circa the first 10-20 years of the campaign, you should just build up first your economy before you conquer anything, or you can also disband some of your units after the gained/conquested objective and other options. Also both of these former options would be an historical reflection of the time. And, the script might keep you away from blitzing super-ahistorical over the map.

I wanna remove this field cost script, how can i do this?

Open (path example Dark Age camp): ...\Medieval II Total War\mods\SicilianVespers\data\world\maps\campaign\custom\SicilianVespers_Dark
    -> file campaign_script.txt, Part IV ... remove the entire lines of this part without to touch anything else of the script (make a backup of the file prior to the removal).

If i siege a settlement, suddenly units have been spawned in the settlement, now their army is bigger than mine, what the ...?

That's the garrison script. As for the AI is often unfortunately not clever enough to take care enough for their settlements, and also, that you have more fun if you try to take a settlement.

As well, it reflects the historical reality, that the local provincial forces come to aid the main stronghold of the region against foreign aggressors ... well, if they hate the sovereign not too much
    However, it is better if you attack a settlement with at least a half stack. The times are gone, that you (or the AI) can get a settlement with only 1-3 units.
    And, the script might keep you away from blitzing super-ahistorical over the map.

I wanna remove this garrison script, how can i do this?

Open (path example Dark Age camp): ...\Medieval II Total War\mods\SicilianVespers\data\world\maps\campaign\custom\SicilianVespers_Dark
    -> file campaign_script.txt, Part I ... remove the entire lines of this part without to touch anything else of the script (make a backup of the file prior to the removal).

I wonder why partly the smallest factions are the richest, how can this happen?

This is the AI money aid script. Factions with a certain low number of regions and a certain low amount of treasury get extra money per turn, as long they keep this small faction status.
    So in times of war they might be able to field quite quick an army (or armies).

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

III Other

I would like to include unit(s) x / files of your mod into mine. Could I do it?

Maybe, just ask for permission.

Can I be part of your mod team or doing some beta testing?

Very welcome, but you should introduce yourself and your intention, see the thread for the Beta Testing for this purpose.
    In principle, a new member will be first a beta tester*. Beta testers will aid developers and work as consultants, as well as stability testers. They can - if participated greatly and show modder and developer qualities - become full dev members.

Going into the dev team is a bit complicated, it works as a "divine call" from the developers, so if you are affectionate, partecipating, proposing and willing to do, and most important a very capable modder (or have the potencial) , you probably could receive this call... .

*eventually not valid for mod devs who are known to us.

I would like to create a submod/minimod, may i do it?

Just ask for permission first.
    In principle we would like to get first the offer to use the work you intend to do within the actual main mod (if it adds and fits into our concept), for which part you would get naturally the credits. However, in no case, our mod or mod content files are free to re-create and publish any side-mods without permission.

-End-
    Last edited by DaVinci; July 12, 2010 at 03:51 PM.
    #Anthropocene #not just Global Warming but Global Disaster, NASA #Deforestation #Plastic Emission #The Blob #Uninhabitable Earth #Savest Place On Earth #AMOC #ICAN #MIT study "Falsehoods Win" #Engineers of Chaos
    #"there can be no doubt about it: the enemy stands on the Right!" 1922, by Joseph Wirth.
    Rightwingers, like in the past the epitome of incompetence, except for evilness where they own the mastership.
    Iirc., already 2013 i spoke of "Renaissance of Fascism", it was accurate.
    #"Humanity is in ‘final exam’ as to whether or not it qualifies for continuance in universe." Buckminster Fuller
    Any chance for this exam? Very low, the established Anthropocentrism destroys the basis of existence.
    #My Modding #The Witcher 3: Lore Friendly Tweaks (LFT)
    #End, A diary of the Third World War (A.-A. Guha, 1983) - now, it started on 24th February 2022.

Patrician Artifex

Default Re: Sicilian Vespers Mod: General Info Topic

First post updated to give a better (short) overview about the contents.
    #Anthropocene #not just Global Warming but Global Disaster, NASA #Deforestation #Plastic Emission #The Blob #Uninhabitable Earth #Savest Place On Earth #AMOC #ICAN #MIT study "Falsehoods Win" #Engineers of Chaos
    #"there can be no doubt about it: the enemy stands on the Right!" 1922, by Joseph Wirth.
    Rightwingers, like in the past the epitome of incompetence, except for evilness where they own the mastership.
    #"Humanity is in ‘final exam’ as to whether or not it qualifies for continuance in universe." Buckminster Fuller
    Any chance for this exam? Very low, the established Anthropocentrism destroys the basis of existence.
    #End, A diary of the Third World War (A.-A. Guha, 1983) - now, it started on 24th February 2022.

Patrician Artifex

Default Re: The Sicilian Vespers: General Info Topic

Info topic updated. SV, please add the minimod components list.

Patrician Artifex

Default Re: General Mod Project Info

1st post slightly updated.