Page 1 of 26 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: BROKEN CRESCENT: Ghulams and Generals

Default BROKEN CRESCENT: Ghulams and Generals

GHULAMS

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

The Ghulams are a historical class of professional, armoured and discplined slave warriors of the Muslim dynasties. Foreign slaves would be used and adorned with the best horses and armour, largely because the Sultan would not trust his own peoples to fight for him or stay loyal. They were well built slaves purchased from among the Turkic peoples and also Slavs and Indians. They were used as a core force of heavy cavalry that would engage the enemy in charge and hand-to-hand combat. Mamluks & Jannisaries are simply a continuation of the Ghulam slave-warrior system. -Mirage41

I felt a topic devoted to Ghulams would be best, given their importance and effect over many factions. Also for Strelac to have easy access to the information.

Ghulam Unit Suggestions:

Elite Ghulams
    Heavy Ghulams
    Medium Ghulams - Referred to as 'ghulam cavlary'
    Light Ghulams - Referred to as 'junior ghulams'.

Junior (Medum) Ghulam:

Armed with medium-length cavalry spear, much like the one used by the guy in Blue. Not nearly as long as the lance of the Faris.

Sidearm would be either mace or saber.

The Fellow in Blue and Yellow. Note however the presence of mail beneath the blue guy's dress. The mail should be visible on the upper chest area near the neck, and down to his knees. it should not extend towards the hands, let it stay at the bicep. Also the hat is silly, away with it!

They can be more well armored if you'd like. It just read "Second-rate or Junior ghulams wore broad-sleeved, probably quilted, hauberks and rode horses with felt bards.". We'd not give them felt bards, that'd be for the Senior Ghulams. I throw in either lamellar or mail because simply cloth seems too little.

This is a great unit for the Junior Ghulams.

Alright. If there's any one of these that would work. This is a -great- one. Has the broad sleeves, the mail coif and helmet, and one would presume mail beneath his tunic. Of all these, This one, and the one above it, are great. The Blue is good too. I'd take elements of the blue (The mail being visible at the bicep, hanging down beneath the cloth at the knees and in between the legs) for this one above, because we don't know how it looks up front.

This guy could work as either a Heavy Ghulam or a Medium Ghulam. His hat is a little silly, but the look of his outfit is good. He can work as either of them.

Ghulam (Heavy) Lancers:

The Ghulam, the (3) guy on the right. The Horse archer could be a Ghulam Archer, or a Junior Ghulam, or a Medium Turkoman.

(3) West Iranian Ghulam.

I think this unit should use a slightly longer spear (Not as long as the Faris Lance, but a few longer than the Medium Ghulam.) and fight with sword or mace.

I would omit felt armor for Ghorid/Ghaznavid, keep it for all other Muslim factions.

We also might want to have a difference in Easter and Western Ghulam. It could be as simple as the western uses a sword and the eastern a mace.

Ghulam Archers:

I don't know what niche this fills. I personally would want this unit to be a bit less universal. What I mean is:

Ayyubid, Rum, Seljuk, Abbasid get it with felt horse armor as a heavy HA. Volley fire if it works
    Transoxanians don't get it. I figure they will get an Iranian HA with metal armor that fills this purpose.
    Ghorid/Ghaznavid have Ghulam Archers simply be Medium Horse archer (Sipahi like), Turkish fire, no horse armor.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

MEDIUM GHULAMS (By Strelac)

HEAVY GHULAMS (By Strelac)

GENERALS AND CAPTAINS

Eastern Christian General

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showp...&postcount=168

KoJ General

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showp...&postcount=196

Ghazni

Ayyubid

Rajput General

East Christian Capes

East Christian Captains

Last edited by Miraj; September 17, 2007 at 12:19 AM.

**Retired**

Default Re: UNIT: Ghulams

Here are some of the first units screen shots for medium Ghulam. In addition to different skins, I also tried to diversify models to make the unit more realistic. They are mounted on the Turkish horses for now. I hope you will enjoy it. Any feedback or comments is welcome.

Strelac
    >>---->

medium ghulam #1
    http://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t...medghulam1.jpg
    medium ghulam #2
    http://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t.../medgulam2.jpg

medium ghulam #3
    http://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t.../medgulam3.jpg

New Sword
    http://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t...a/newsword.jpg

the special mace from the ghulam reference image. Also, notice the mixture of maces and swords in the unit.
    http://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t...a/specmail.jpg

some mace bashing
    http://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t...attackmail.jpg

Indefinitely Banned

Sweeeet! They look absolutely dangerous.

they are really very bad guys

nice job

i can say one of the best skins i have seen
    Through your intercession I hope to see the light of Thy son and the light of everlasting ages !

oh... my..... dear....... god!
    i think this is the first of ur work i've seen?
    well, for lack of a better word: HOLYWOWZZZdudeThatsFrigginAwesome!

:clears throat:

cheers
    -indian_boy
    CHECK ME OUT ON YOUTUBE
    for Total War Tips, Tricks and Tutorials!

The colours are a bit too bright. Other than that, the "scrins" are awesome! +rep.

sure it is very good
    Through your intercession I hope to see the light of Thy son and the light of everlasting ages !

**Retired**

THe brightness may be due to the local settings. We'll se how they are bahaving in the game. Beta testers, hint hint, wink wink.

Ahiga, those are some great reference images in the first post. My thanks to all who helped collecting these.

Strelac

wow i love the details (hand, sword, mask etc.)

Indefinitely Banned

The colors and other minor things can be easily rectified later. Whats important is that Strelac base model and skins are simply excellent - and those are the hardest parts.

Simply amazing Strelac. Looks like a picture came right to life, and they just totally breath the Ghulam style and ghulam image. That spear is amazing, the helmet is especially too, and everything else is as well.

I'm also quite fine with the colors. The reds and such are beautiful, and even the blue and green part isn't bad. It mentions Islamic warriors often wore bright and vivid colors, and they strike me as realistically so, not the neon colors of vanilla. :original:

If these are merely the Junior Ghulams, I can't wait to see the heavy ghulams. Do you need more uploaded art for the Ghulam archers? I think there's only one concept art for them.
    Last edited by Ahiga; April 21, 2007 at 03:13 PM.

Indefinitely Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Ahiga View Post
    Simply amazing Strelac. Looks like a picture came right to life
    Actually thats much truer than you'd think.

Take a look at this picture:

Now take a look at this:

Basically what I'm trying to say is..
    AlphaDelta + Strelac = pwnage

EDIT: And I think the colors should be fine. Its historical so might as well keep it that way.
    Last edited by Miraj; April 21, 2007 at 03:21 PM.

Stunning work Strelac!!

That's a russian model under there I think? The latest models from Strelac and I, using that Russian model show exactly what can be done with the editor. I hope now everyone can see and understand why I tackled the Christians first and left the Muslim and Hindu factions to a time when we had access to a mesh editor.

It'd be great if you could model and skin that arrow quiver in Mirages references. That would finish off the unit perfectly.

I feel honoured to work on this team of skilled people! And thanks to GrumpyOldman for making that excellent mesh converter.

Cheers!!
    "I don't want to sit around Windsor because ermm .. I just generally don't like England that much" - Prince Harry, 3rd in Line for the British Thrown

For King or Country - The English civil wars.

Indefinitely Banned

Yeah, the quiver would be great also if we made a heavy HA for that ghulam model. Yeah and we should never forget to thank ol' Grumpy - his work makes all this possible.

**Retired**

Thanks!

yes, the model is carved out of the russian cav model. That model is so beefy that you could mesh the catapult model from it.
    The grumpy's editor certainly brought the fun back to modding again.

The quiver would be a nice touch. But, I would added it to the horse model including bow quiver ( is meshing animals possible now? ) Lets discuss.

Strelac

Indefinitely Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Strelac View Post
    Thanks!

yes, the model is carved out of the russian cav model. That model is so beefy that you could mesh the catapult model from it.
    The grumpy's editor certainly brought the fun back to modding again.

The quiver would be a nice touch. But, I would added it to the horse model including bow quiver ( is meshing animals possible now? ) Lets discuss.

Strelac
    As I'm sure AD will soon detail, mount editing is possible - I believe it was KnightErrant that developed the mount editor.

Yoda Twin's Avatar Vicarius

Great work Strelac, its good we got a whole skinner for this important unit, and they'll all look similiar cause its done by the same person.
    Minister for Home Affairs of the Commonwealth v Zentai [2012] HCA 28 per Heydon J at [75]

Analysis should not be diverted by reflections upon the zeal with which the victors at the end of the Second World War punished the defeated for war crimes. The victors were animated by the ideals of the Atlantic Charter and of the United Nations. The Universal Declaration of Human Rights was about to peep over the eastern horizon. But first, they wanted a little hanging.

Strelac, you rock! Especially love the sword. Looks perfect.

With you, AlphaDelta and indian_boy doing the skinning, this will end up as the best looking Total War Mod ever!
    Former Historian & Dev Member for Broken Crescent Mod
    Dual-Major BA in Medieval History / Political Science, Adelphi University Aug. 1989
    Member of the World History Association
    Member of the Medieval Academy of America
    Member of the Richard III Society
    Member of the Society for the Study of the Crusades and Latin East
    If you like my post, please +Rep...if you dislike my post, please +REP me twice

**Retired**

I finally got some time to do some skins for heavy ghulam, so here is the No. 1

Cheers.

Strelac

Indefinitely Banned

Uh oh. I just think I crapped my pants because that is just Fant - effin - tastic!

The detail is wonderful, that helmet is truly royal.

Page 1 of 26 1234567891011 ... LastLast