Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Returning to Vanilla Sounds.

Thanatos's Avatar Now Is Not the Time
    took an arrow to the knee

Default Returning to Vanilla Sounds.

How do you uninstall Xenophonia? The problem takes too long to explain - rest assured that it has nothing to do with the mod itself. It has to do with Steam.

Please don't tell me I have to reinstall the entire game...

Lord Finga's Avatar Decanus

Default Re: Returning to Vanilla Sounds.

just copy over the files from the /data/sounds/backup folder into the /data/sounds folder overwriting the files installed by xenophonia, and voila... that should be all...

INVENTOR OF THE SettlementOccupiedScript v08 #4(SOS) for dlv 3.0
    INVENTOR OF THE ChangeCapital v2.04 for dlv 5.2

What of subtitles? All the subtitles in negotiations is back to normal, except for Denmark. Any help here?

Beiss's Avatar Nemo nascitur...

... yeah... delete the subtitle text files in m2tw\data\text. Just open them and look at them - you'll know which ones you can delete. I'm think you can delete the whole folder, but not sure.

Just returning to vanilla sounds is a very simple procedure written out clearly in the readme. Why no one reads the readme, I don't know.
    Under the patronage of Halie Satanus, Emperor of Ice Cream, in the house of wilpuri

Whoops. I've always checked while installing, but I seem to have... forgott-*cough**cough**cough*

Wait... are you sure I can just delete the folder? Because maybe through my using of Steam, the only subtitle files I have are all in proper English.

Plus I've moved the Voices 1 and 3 files from the backup folder into the proper places, but I've still some people speaking their real language instead of English, or not at all.
    Last edited by Thanatos; April 24, 2007 at 09:25 PM.

You need to move all of the files from the backup folder back to m2tw\data\sounds (overwrite when prompted), voice1.* and voice3.* as well as events.*.

Still having problems? If so,

in data\text, you should remove

battle_event_subtitles.*
    diplomacy.*
    diplomacy_speech.*
    prebattle_speeches_subtitles.*

In m2tw\data, you should remove

descr_sounds*.txt
    export_descr_sounds*.txt

These are the only files that Xenophonia adds or manipulates. Normally, the subtitles files are located in m2tw\packs\localized.pack. That's where I had to extract them from in order to get subtitles working for the new languages. I'm not sure about the ones named FactionIntroSubTitles.txt.strings.bin and norman_prologue_regions_and_settlement_names.txt.strings.bin, but I think that if you delete them, the game will create new ones for you.

Does it still not work?
    Last edited by Beiss; April 25, 2007 at 01:05 AM.
    Under the patronage of Halie Satanus, Emperor of Ice Cream, in the house of wilpuri

Yeah, it still doesn't work... I'm still getting the native languages...

Oohhh kay. That's really odd. Do you still have the "voice" folder in m2tw\data\sounds? If so, delete it.

Also, are you running mods of any kind? What happens if you start the game runnig medieval2.exe, no shortcuts?
    Last edited by Beiss; April 27, 2007 at 01:32 AM.

Voice folder deleted! Next time I run the game, I'll let you know!

And did you have Xenophonia installed already when you installed it? In that case, the files you moved back from the "backup" folder are still Xenophonia...

Hmmm...

Well, I ran the game again with the voice folder deleted, but now I don't have any sounds when I click on my Spanish units... or for anybody else that still had their native language...

Any help here?

*sigh* what an issue this one has become! Some factions became silent when you removed the voice folder? Now I'm really confused.

Ok, tell me exactly what files and folders you can find in m2tw\data\sounds. Also tell me their filesizes (in kB). Did you have Xenophonia installed already when you installed 1E?

Okay... First things first.

I remembered that I had my *original* data/sounds stuff in another backup folder I had created myself. I put those files back in, but nothing changed.

As for m2tw/data/sounds...

I have:
    backup - folder
    music - folder
    src - folder
    vanilla_backup - folder
    events.dat - 7325 kb
    events.idx - 16 kb
    extract_sounds.bat - 1kb
    music.dat - 93,146 kb
    music.idx - 2 kb
    sfx.dat - 255,282 kb
    sfx.idx - 184 kb
    voice 1.dat - 699, 710 kb
    voice 1.idx - 986 kb
    voice 2.dat - 76,166 kb
    voice 2.idx - 91 kb
    voice 3.dat - 384,419 kb
    voice 3.idx - 1034 kb
    xidx.exe - 46 kb
    xidxReadme.txt - 5 kb
    xidxshell.bat - 1kb

Whew!

Aha, here's the issue. You are still using Xenophonia's events.dat/idx. You need the vanilla one. This is why you aren't getting any sound for the Spanish, for example - events.dat/idx contains instructions to look for samples named "Spanish_", but you're using the vanilla soundpacks, and the result is silence.

Do you have an events.dat/idx that's smaller than the one you're currently using (my vanilla one is 6591/16kB, Xenophonia 1E's is 8667/16kB)? Look in any of the folders in m2tw\data\sounds. It should be in there somewhere. If not, do you have any mods installed? Most of them come with a vanilla version of events.dat/idx (located in m2tw\mod\data\sounds). If not, I can send you the file, but it should be there somewhere.

Once you find it, simply replace the bigger one with the smaller one (replace the .idx as well just to be safe). That should be everything you need. Please tell me if that did it.

Bad news and good news.

Good news first: It worked! Thank you! You deserve a rep for all the help you've given me.

Bad news: It got rid of my custom music! What now?! I have no music now ever since I put back in the original events files... I mean, I have all the music files, but it just won't play them.
    Last edited by Thanatos; April 28, 2007 at 06:25 PM.

Oh that... do you remember how you implemented your custom music? I'm afraid you'll have to repeat that process... sorry... :/

Yes, I do remember, because I do it all the time whenever I add or remove a song from the play list.

Only problem is that it involves deleting the events files and the music files so that the game can make new ones.

But if I delete the events files, I get silent factions!

No, not if you download the sound data files. Get them here: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/downl...o=file&id=1110

Unpack them into your m2tw\data folder. These are the files I've edited to make Xenophonia add new languages. The ones I just gave you a link to are the vanilla versions. The game will use these text files to make the new events files, and sound should be working as normal.

But the text files are already there! I've had them for a while! That's how I was able to play my custom songs in the first place!

Oh.

If the text files are there, and you start the game without events dat/idx, and without music dat/idx, but WITH voice dat/idx, the voices should be working fine. If they don't, then I really don't know what could be wrong. Are you sure the text files are not the Xenophonia text files? Open descr_sounds_accents.txt and look if there's a line that says "accent Russian" or "accent Spanish". If you can find either of these, you have the Xenophonia text files and you need to replace them with the vanilla one (just replacing descr_sounds_accents.txt should be fine.)
    Last edited by Beiss; April 30, 2007 at 07:01 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast