Thread: Lopus' Names Mod

Condottiere SOG's Avatar Domesticus

Default Lopus' Names Mod

Has many errors where the Italians are concerned.

'of' = 'di'
    not 'de'

ex. di is bound to the Surname
    Niccolo diMedici
    Niccolo diMachiavelli diFirenze
    Paolo diCarmagnola
    Astere diCarrera
    Polo diFerrari
    Marco diPolo
    Agnus diSpoletto

'de' is French, Spanish as 'do' is Portuguese

Jules de Fleury(Fr.)
    Astrud do Gilberto(Pr.)
    Roman de Carlos(Sp.)

tornnight's Avatar Forum Bot

Default Re: Lopus' Names Mod

When the Character names project is a bit more mature, we will be using that.

Thats one reason why I made the name verifier tool.
    "The first casualty when war comes, is truth." - Hiram Johnson
    Developer of The Long Road Modification

deRougemont's Avatar Yeoman

Quote Originally Posted by Condottiere SOG View Post
    Has many errors where the Italians are concerned.

'of' = 'di'
    not 'de'

ex. di is bound to the Surname
    Niccolo diMedici
    Niccolo diMachiavelli diFirenze
    Paolo diCarmagnola
    Astere diCarrera
    Polo diFerrari
    Marco diPolo
    Agnus diSpoletto
    Can you confirm this Condo? I ran into quite a few Venetian names with "da", and since it was the more common, replaced the vanilla de with the da I was finding. Dialectically you will find variations, though typically di is the more common in the rest of Italy. We need someone from NE Italy to tell us for sure, honestly; this can be tricky. We also have to take into account that the time period these names are coming from was era when grammar rules were close to non-existent. This is especially bad in the case of one-syllable words that end in a vowel that sounds nearly the same such as di/da/de.
    Last edited by deRougemont; April 20, 2007 at 10:40 PM.

Condottiere SOG's Avatar Domesticus

Quote Originally Posted by deRougemont View Post
    Can you confirm this Condo? I ran into quite a few Venetian names with "da", and since it was the more common, replaced the vanilla de with the da I was finding. Dialectically you will find variations, though typically di is the more common in the rest of Italy. We need someone from NE Italy to tell us for sure, honestly; this can be tricky. We also have to take into account that the time period these names are coming from was era when grammar rules were close to non-existent. This is especially bad in the case of one-syllable words that end in a vowel that sounds nearly the same such as di/da/de.
    da as well. di is much more prevalent.
    Last edited by Condottiere SOG; April 25, 2007 at 11:55 AM.

Just to keep you guys updated, I have edited the CNP mod files using the names verifier and added two more factions to boot, for a grand total of 13 completely new character names lists. I currently have a new download for it, but it is only meant to be used with M2:TW v 1.2. Since you guys edit your descr_strat.txt so often I won't make a download specific to your mod (yeah, I'll let you do the hard work!) However, once you start using the CNP names I'll put a link in my forum to your mod.

Great! I'll plan to add it in for the next release.

hi guys.
    I can make changes to the Polish names,because there were many mistakes in Your version,and i understand that because You're not able to make correct names for all nations that are in M2TW without help of ppl who belongs to these nations .Same goes to the 2 part names with "of_Warsaw" for example which in polish is"z_Warszawy".I can make it too if You want.or can You tell me how can i edit this by myself and not crash the game?which files do i need to edit?i tried with dscr_names and "dscr_names lookout" but then no polish names where visible in the game.

That would be very helpful.
    We are going to use the Character Names Project starting with the next release.

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=327

I'm sure they could use your help.

Quote Originally Posted by H2HSnake View Post
    hi guys.
    I can make changes to the Polish names,because there were many mistakes in Your version,and i understand that because You're not able to make correct names for all nations that are in M2TW without help of ppl who belongs to these nations .Same goes to the 2 part names with "of_Warsaw" for example which in polish is"z_Warszawy".I can make it too if You want.or can You tell me how can i edit this by myself and not crash the game?which files do i need to edit?i tried with dscr_names and "dscr_names lookout" but then no polish names where visible in the game.
    The CNP has a Polish thread here. As you can see, a few people have attempt the Polish names, but I was never completely happy with the result, so I have not included new Polish names yet. Feel free to post a list in my forum. You don't have to do any of the modding work, I'll take care of that (though I am taking a month off from modding; I need a break).

Also, there is another person coming up with a new Polish list (Hans Kloss), and he will be posting it within the month. Nevertheless, post yours as well. We can always combine the best name from each list.

Cheers!