Thread: Destroying core_buildings/hinterland buildings?

Tacticalwithdrawal's Avatar Ghost

Default Destroying core_buildings/hinterland buildings?

I'd like to be able to destroy hinterland/core_buildings, particularly farms. Basically I want to be able to set them so that the hammer button is enabled and the owner of the town can destroy them.

However, having done a lot of looking around I now know how to make normally destoyable buildings indestructable, but not the other way around

So, is it possible and, if so, would someone pleas tell me how?

Another thought is whether it is possible to create another, 'normal' building and provide it with the farms attributes - the one I specifically want is whatever it is that makes land on the campaign map 'cultivated'. Does anyone know whether this is possible?
    : - It's my smilie and I'll use it if I want to......

Ave Caesar, Morituri Nolumus Mori (in Glaswegian: gae **** yrsel big man)

MasterOfNone's Avatar RTW Modder 2004-2015

Default Re: Destroying core_buildings/hinterland buildings?

I do not think it is possible (even through scripting), though I'm no expert in that field. Buildings that have a presence on the strat map - roads, farms, core bldgs, walls and ports have a more restrictive nature than other buildings.

And yes you can add the farming bonuses to new buildings, but of course they will not make a difference in terms of the appearance of the strat map as far as I am aware.

But if anyone knows any different...

What is it you are trying to achieve? Perhaps there is some other way around it?
    "One of the most sophisticated Total War mods ever developed..."
    The Fourth Age: Total War - The Dominion of Men

Maced0n's Avatar Domesticus

You should remove hinterland perfixs before that building in every text file where will you find that ,and that building will become destroyabile,and reverse if u like to make any building undestroyabile yust add that perfix...
    Last edited by Maced0n; April 20, 2007 at 01:56 AM.

hmmm, ok, I've played with it a bit, what I am trying to get to happen is this:

• Orc factions can build farms and these affect the campaign map by putting the 'cultivated' texture on it. On my map I have set this to the devestation effect you get when an enemy army hangs around on your land.
    • What I want to happen is that when the Dwarves capture a town they can destroy the farming building and therefore remove the cultivated texture from the map

What i have found is that if I add 'farming_level 1' to the capability of any building then, when built, it adds the cultivated texture to the campaign map. So far so good.

However, when I destroy the building it doesn't seem to remove the cultivated texture......
    I've also tried:
    • building the next level of the building I gave the 'farming_level 1' capability - but set it so it has no farming capability. Still doesn't remove the texture.
    • destroying the building and then building roads (the idea being that roads also change the campaign map) - it added the roads but still left the cultivated texture

Anyone got any ideas for how to do this?
    Last edited by Tacticalwithdrawal; April 20, 2007 at 05:52 AM.

Macedon,

I think he knows about the prefix - but some of the buildings mentioned above do not have hinterland as a prefix and, afaik, are hardcoded. As for the ones with hinterland before them (such as farms), well I cannot remember my own research on the matter (it was too long ago) but I seem to remember that bldgs with a SM presence were restricted re the prefix altering - give it a quick test though just to check. I probably would have out it in my EDB Guide were it working though rather than just the reverse.

trouble is, my tests seem to indicate that even if I could destroy them the effects on the campaign map don't change.....

Yep, I think the SM visuals cannot be removed once added, only upgraded.

What do these 'farms' represent? The general tidiness vs. squalor of the two cultures I assume as neither Orcs or Dwarves would build farms...

As the AI does not destroy buildings (afaik) then what happens if Dwarves build a farm and then the Orcs come along and capture that chamber with the farm? Or is that not important? If it reflects that the Dwarves are or were in occupation then that's fine. The devastated areas will thus represent chambers never captured by Dwarves (or held long enough to tidy up!)

If we compare it to roads - dirt, stone and highway - you could have the Orcs all start with the dirt road (devastation) and only Dwarves can build the next two levels (tidy chamber and ornate chamber) - and of course you would never have the situation where Dwarves would build the devastation becuase all the Orc and Orc rebel chambers would start with it (and it cannot be destroyed). Orcs would not be able to change the appearance of the Chamber once stone roads are built but they can be blocked from any bonus the Dwarves may gain from it. This can be translated into the farming though I cannot remember the SM visuals for that tree right now.

well, the idea was that Orcs could build farms of a sort (basically the mushroom/fungus farms they use for food). Those would create devestation on the map (or rather, the cultivated effect).

Dwarves cannot build farms (they get their food via their trading buildings representing trading with the kingdoms outside Moria).

I wanted the dwarves to be able to destroy the orc farms and therefore return the campaign map to the clean tiles for each level. This would represent cleaning up the squalor left by the orcs.

Trouble is, can't seem to get it to remove the cultivated effect (even when I remove the building and then go through some seasons the cultivated effect still remains).

I do not know why the upgrade woul dnot work if the initial effect does, but - as I say - I cannot remember the farm sm visuals right now...

The easiest thing to do would be to have the devastation visual as the default ground and then allow Dwarves to build that 'farm' building that changes it to normal tiles....?

its weird, there are three cultivated types (low, medium and high) yet all the farm types seem to use the same one....

I'll keep playing with it though as the upgrade route seems to be the best one, thanks

update: it seems to only use the 'cultivated high' texture for the colour, but just adds more and more of it....

now if I could just work out where it gets the more and more from (ie. the higher level of farm the more of the cultivated texture it applies) then I might be able to unapply it

Tact,

I think you'll find that the low, med and high refer not to the level of cultivation but to the preset fertility ground type; the farm texture thus differs by region according to preset fertility rather than by farming level.

In other words, any region can only have 2 appearances (unfarmed and farmed) and it is not reversible.

You might want to look at settlement bases or roads.

Quote Originally Posted by MasterOfNone View Post
    Tact,

I think you'll find that the low, med and high refer not to the level of cultivation but to the preset fertility ground type; the farm texture thus differs by region according to preset fertility rather than by farming level.

In other words, any region can only have 2 appearances (unfarmed and farmed) and it is not reversible.
    yup, just come to the same conclusion

Quote Originally Posted by MasterOfNone View Post
    You might want to look at settlement bases or roads.
    roads just add in a windy road, doesn't make a big change though.

what do you mean by settlement bases?

Roads may be able to be modded as to their size and appearance - I have not really looked into it.

The settlement bases are the colouration under the settlements on the strat map (and I think it reflects in the battlemap too?). They are defined by culture - and I *think* they will change when you upgrade from an Orc to a Dwarf or from a Dwarf to an Orc core building. However, they will only cover an area within and perhaps a little outside of the settlement (do not know if that can be modded) but as you have no walls, small chambers and can decrease or eliminate the core bldg size then it may work as a representation of the effect you wish even if not covering the whole area...

RTW: data\terrain\aerial_map\bases\settlements is the folder you want : you can move the modded folder structure and files into the bi data folder.

descr_aerial_map_bases.txt is the file that assigns the image to the culture/settlement level.

Trajan's Avatar Capodecina

Moved to Text Editing and Scripting.