Thread: Sparta and Walls

Default Sparta and Walls

Will Sparta be able to build walls? If not will walls automatically be destroyed when Sparta captures a city?

Ketchup's Avatar Senator

Default Re: Sparta and Walls

I asssume that sparta itself wont have walss, it didn't historically, but I doubt that Spartan-captured cities would have the walls destroyed. IIRC when spartans captured or defeated a city they didn't really occupy it as so, but they maintained control over the city while letting them get on with life.

Roma Surrectum 2.0 Team Member
    R.I.P Calvin

Quote Originally Posted by Ketchup View Post
    when spartans captured or defeated a city they didn't really occupy it as so, but they maintained control over the city while letting them get on with life.
    ....they maintained control over the city while letting them get on with life the spartan way.

spirit_of_rob's Avatar The force is my ally

Sparta herself has no walls and the faction will not construct them but if they take a city with them it will prob leave them as they are
    Former Skinner/Modeller for EB Former Skinner/Modeller for Hegemonia

Patrician Opifex under the patronage of Basileos Leandros I and patron of the Opifex Tone

Foederatus

what about when sparta defeated athens they made them distroy there walls

WEll i know in RTW once walls are built you cannot demolish them so i guess your stuck with it. Not my area coding but as far as i know once walls are built they remain

Patrician Opifex under the patronage of Basileos Leandros I and patron of the Opifex Tone

It’s good to know that you won’t part ways with history when it comes to Spartan defenses and your response to my second question doesn’t reduce my interest in this mod

Racer X's Avatar Ordinarius

I think most Cretan cities were also unwalled, because they followed the same principle as the Spartans - if the city is sieged the men can be sent out immediately rather than become soft and cowardly, hiding behind a defence.

Sparta (as faction) can't build wall in sparta (city), but in other cities, yes.
    Here, you say: "but they destroyed walls when they taken cities"
    >> right, that's why walls give a bonus for democracy in greek cities (athenians try to build longwall in their empire).
    >> so, you play sparta, you should not build walls...
    Hegemonia's historian, coder, skinner, 2D work... and all the rest too !!

Quote Originally Posted by mitchverr View Post
    what about when sparta defeated athens they made them distroy there walls
    The mod doesn't go that far into history, it stops before that war, so you don't have to worry about being historical while taking Athens with Sparta.
    Q: How are you doing?
    A: Better than Michael Jackson.

The spartan policy with walls developed out of circumstance- the Spartans never had them because they weren't necessary in the geographically secure Sparta, so the attitude developed that the use of walls was weak. The Spartans were never kept from walling off their city because they thought the practice inferior- when it became necessary in their later history the kings didn't hesitate. We're not going to allow you any walls because it doesn't work well with the new geography, and because we like at least some historical accuracy...

Believe in Hegemonia... Or the Megarian will get you.

Is there any other faction that cant build walls?
    Q: How are you doing?
    A: Better than Michael Jackson.

Good call with the walls. For those who want to take down the walls as Sparta, after you win a seige, just don't repair the walls, or if you are seiged, but sally forth before they have a chance to 'lay seige to your walls'.

Then it can be roleplayed the same.

Foederatus

Is there any way you could make the destruction of walls part of a the capture phase (Occupy, Enslave, Massacre) via scripting or something like that?

Quote Originally Posted by chichono View Post
    Is there any way you could make the destruction of walls part of a the capture phase (Occupy, Enslave, Massacre) via scripting or something like that?
    I think this is one of the most interesting suggestions I've heard in a while. Would be great if this were possible. I don't know, maybe it is, I haven't played any large scale mods since RTR 6.0 (just twiddling my thumbs waitin' on this one).
    "The strongest passions and most dangerous weaknesses of the human breast; ambition, avarice, vanity, the honorable or venal love of fame, are all in conspiracy against the desire and duty of peace." -J. Madison

I also like chichonos suggestion...
    "Most people are like a leaf which is blown and turning around through the air,and wavers, and tumbles to the ground.
    But others, a few, are like stars, they go on a fixed course, no wind reaches them, in themselves they have their law and their course."

Siddhartha in Siddhartha by Herman Hesse, Chapter Six

Im no expert by any means but i think even if walls are 100% damaged on the campaign map hte walls are still present they just have holes in. As i said im not totally certain off this but this is what i think it is.

when you play EB and you take a town . the ancient governmentbuilding ist dammaged. you have to destroy it manual, because they didn't manage to script a full destroiing
    thus they didn#t find a way
    bad english , but i'm lazy

catintheoven's Avatar Senator

another good option would be aswell as occupy, enslave and masacre would be offer to another faction, thats would be great

In the UK we are a democracy one day in four years when we elect our oligarchy