Thread: Western Roman Campaign = easy??

Default Western Roman Campaign = easy??

Do you think that the WRC is too easy to play?
    I remeber what was the campaign in IBFD5.The vast roman estate in total choas with somewhat imposing but yet inefficient army;goths rampaging in Italy, vandals storming in Iberian penisula, british takeing over northern Gaul and to top of all - 15000 denarii negative treasury.Oh, man, the the game was so dramtic.Dispatching the fewer troops left after disbanding most of the army, to fill ungarissoned cities.Leaveing me even more vulnarable to the savage horde...I could not falter out of the economic crisis for tens of turns...That is what i call Esimated Very Hard Difficulty.

In IBFD7 playing the WRE on Very Hard\Very Hard for 3 turn i menage to make positive 10-15000 denarii; in 5-6 turn i assemble huge foederaty army in Carthago Nova and to 15-20 the Iberian peninsula is mine again.In the mean time 2 more armies are gathered in norther Italy and I begin an assault against eastern Gaul and southern Germany.Simply annihilating the Alemani and start taking over one by one Imperium Constantini's settlements.

Can you bring back WRE as it was in IBFD5 unless it is historicly unaccurate or it is confronting your view of developing the game.Or is it possible for me ot "borrow" the map of ibfd5 and still play with the new units
    Last edited by cpl_Shephard; April 19, 2007 at 04:10 AM.

Echbart's Avatar Decanus

Default Re: Western Roman Campaign = easy??

Well yes you can manage in 10 turns to get on a green line if i totaly disband all units with hight upkeep cost. But now i keep my elite roman unist and also i dont disband limes army - im playing more than 30 turns and im geting 3k plus per turn - climbing back to green line

Pompeius Magnus's Avatar primus inter pares

I agree.
    It is impossible to get a positiv cash flow in the fist 20 or 30 turns.

If you want to dispand all your units you can do. It is up to you. But to play in this way is EXTREMELY A-HISTORIC.
    The Romans never dispand units because these units were too expansive. And they never disband units when the enemy is surrounding the empire.

The romands never had the money to build up new elite-units.

Ramon made the best BI Mod due to the scripting.

What do you miss from Flagellum Dei 6?? The stupid a-historic uprisings in your cities?
    This game is the best modification for BI.

Ramon: hold your line!!!!!! It is a perfect mod!! Thanx for that.

Echbart's Avatar Decanus

I try to play historical or atleast as Romans would in that time. Thats why im also autoresolving some battles

im not talking about disbanding elite units.I'm disbanding equites sagitarii,lighter cavalry, foederati and auxillia forces .I keep all of my regular infantry and heavy cavalry.This gives my huge economical advantage which i use for constructing econolical buildings and after that i regain my forces again.Also im talikng about IBFD5's map, not 6.The WRE that version deserved the defenition ESTIMATED VERY HARD...

Cromagnon2's Avatar Senator

I have to say that playing with the ERE so far has been the easiest campaign i have ever played, enough troops and money, maybe because a couple a turns later i disabled the script due to crashing.

I also still wonder why the loyalty treat from the original game has been removed from all generals in this mod, I think it could add to more challenge.

Pompeius Magnus's Avatar primus inter pares

Quote Originally Posted by cpl_Shephard View Post
    im not talking about disbanding elite units.I'm disbanding equites sagitarii,lighter cavalry, foederati and auxillia forces .I keep all of my regular infantry and heavy cavalry.This gives my huge economical advantage which i use for constructing econolical buildings and after that i regain my forces again.Also im talikng about IBFD5's map, not 6.The WRE that version deserved the defenition ESTIMATED VERY HARD...
    Again:
    You can do that (disbanding minor troops).
    But this is totally a-historic. This is for me a trick to fix the money problem in a game. But if you play a little bit "real" you disband nothing!
    Try to play in a historic way. Re-conquer Gallia first. Than try to get the spanish coast back from the vandals. Evacuate Africa and come back rounds later and so on...

When I imagine that Bonifatius disband all the minor troops in africa (90% of the troops are minor in africa ) only to safe money, I am very amused.
    In the reality Bonifatius took nearly all professional troops and went into civil war in italy against Äetius.
    So Africa was extremly weaken due to the troops shipment.

And to the mods IBFD5 or 6 I have to say following:
    Playing as west roman these mods were often unplayable. Too much uprisings made a good gameplay impossible. The problem was the extremly high population grow. This is, by the way, totally a-historic in the time frame of the late antique. Unrest and uprisings were the result. To fix that I conquered the cities back and slaughtered the population (and that happened very very rare in history). But with a population grow of 6,5% (sometimes) the citie was 10 turns later again too big. Unplayable!!
    And Ramons Mod is the first BI Mod which fixes this stupid problem. I can concentrate my actions on the real important things:
    1) re-conquer the old empire
    2) settle the german tribes on roman ground
    3) Prepare the empire for future actions against the huns

One of my critic points is that the eastern empire is a little bit too strong.
    Last edited by Pompeius Magnus; April 21, 2007 at 01:59 AM.