Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Mod: Add More Factions to Regions&ProvincesMod v2.3

Rob_the_Celt's Avatar Rebel

Default Mod: Add More Factions to Regions&ProvincesMod v2.3

This mod adds Serb, Cilician Armenian, Kingdom of Jerusalem, Irish and Khazarian factions to the Sweden and Mali factions in Regions&ProvincesMod v2.3 . It also replaces Ireland with more historically accurate version.

This mod is basically an add-on to Sb2eans Regions&ProvincesMod v2.3 (BigMapVersion), install that and paste the contents of this mod into the Medieval 2 folder to overwrite the required files.

BillyDillys BD Heraldry v2_AddOn - Extra Factions add-on also adds heraldry for all regions, royal titles and added ancillaries for all factions.

You will need to replace expanded.txt in RegionModBM\data\text with the version found here and then delete all txt.strings.bin files in the Text folder.

Patch 1 for “add more factions mod” for “Region & Provinces Mod 2.3 BigMap”
    - by Rob_the_Celt and Dimitri_Harkov

Patch 2: missing skins and unit cards: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=RH194NMA

Installation: Extract the .rar in your “RegionModBM”-folder (located in your Medieval II root directory) and overwrite files, where necessary.

Contents:

Khazar:
    - Dismounted archers are militia units now (also for the mongols)
    - Pagan priest available (recruitable in town hall)
    - changed bodyguard unit to ee bodyguard

KoJ:
    - Religion changed to catholic
    - can build churches and train priests now
    - changed bodyguard unit to se bodyguard
    - moved the king out of Accre - his original starting position caused ctds for unknown reasons, sometimes, and a graphics bug, always (at least on my machine).
    - missle units available now

Serbia:
    - changed bodyguard unit to ne bodyguard
    - low level barracks may train slav levies now
    - changed slav levies to militia unit
    - can build town halls and train diplomats now

Mali:
    - changed bodyguard unit to me bodyguard

Armenia:

Bulgar:
    - low level barracks may train slav levies as militia units now

General:
    - almost all ctd-issues solved
    - missing captain banners added
    - every faction is now able to convert cities to castles and castles to cities.

known bugs:
    - serbia: random ctds of unknown origin
    - lots of skins and unit cards are missing
    - the names of some factions’ starting characters not displayed
    - correct names for new factions missing
    - all added agents use byzantine models&colors
    - armenian & bulgarian religious buildings & agents not translated correctly (‘Not meant for this culture’)

Let us know if you come across any further bugs.

The factions I’ve added are not all 100% finished (some need family names and some units need descriptions) as I haven’t got enough info to be sure they are all accurate and give a fair representation, but all are playable. You may need to go to descr_strat or descr_sm_factions to make the faction you want to play as playable. If anyone has any extra information on any of these factions and can add to them please do.

I replaced the Irish faction as I wanted to portray the Irish at the time as accurately as possible and make them fight as the Irish did, which other mods so far have failed to do in my opinion. Many unit models could use more accurate models and textures but hopefully will be able to sort that at some stage to be more realistic.

I haven’t used the Normans template, so any faction you want can be added over them using the tutorial here. It might be possible to add more faction templates but I haven’t tried.

If anyone wants to use any of what I’ve done here be my guest, pm me to let me know what you want to use.
    Last edited by Rob_the_Celt; June 07, 2007 at 04:04 AM.

Default Re: Mod: Add More Factions to Regions&ProvincesMod v2.3

Some problems with this mod have been brought to my attention that I don't know how to sort out:

1 or 2 units are missing skins which I hope to sort out soon.

The Irish faction (and possibly others), which is based on the saxons, are unable to convert settlements from castles to cities and vice versa, what file(s) do I need to fix to resolve this?

pouya got a ctd error in 1158 with the Khazarians when beseiging a Kingdom of Jerusalem settlement for 9 turns, when they sallied out it encountered an unspecified error.

I'm playing a Kingdom of Jerusalem /a Kingdom of Heaven / and I have a few problems with:
    - flags
    - portraits ( especially before battle)
    - and a game break down when I want to fight against Armenia (unspecified error) - I don't have problems when I fight against Egipt or Rebels

Trajan's Avatar Capodecina

Moved to the Regions & Provinces Mod sub-forum.

How come you didn't give faction Jerusalem any religion? Wont this make it really hard to manage the religous unrest??

Ermeni's Avatar Biarchus

i must say this add on seems to need a lot of work before it's fully playable

though it's great work....and i thank you!

IrAr's Avatar Senator

Yes, this mod has good goals and aims, but some of the work needs a little more time.

Ali_the_English's Avatar Tiro
    I live in Welwyn Garden City in Hertfordshire, England

Are you planning to create any more factions?

Belgrade isn't on his real place!

Ali_the_English's Avatar Tiro
    I live in Welwyn Garden City in Hertfordshire, England

Could you create a Duchy of Burgundy faction to help hold off Milan as they seen to become a dominant power in every game i've played.

I gave Jerusalem the wrong religion, they're orthodox in descr_sm_factions when they should be Catholic, thats why they cannot build any religious buildings .
    There seems to be a problem with the Kingdom of Jerusalem that causes a ctd that I'm trying to track down, hopefully thats the only problem with it. I'll be the first to admit some of this is done a bit half arsed and if I get the time I'll do them a bit better, but time is a scarce comodity at the moment.
    I'm not planning on doing any more factions right now, although I agree that Milan do expand north a bit too easily, it might be better to block them off by adding a region or 2 to the French or the Holy Roman Empire. I'd be more interested in adding either another eastern european faction, Kiev perhaps or another African faction arounf Tripoli or Tunis to fill in the blank spaces on the map.

No prob. I gave them Orthodox churches in building_desc just to try it and so I could recuit priests.

There are two other minor issue's with Jerusalim.
    1) I dont think they can build the archery needed for pavise crossbow men
    in castles.
    2) The knights seem really low in armor stat. I'm not sure if you want it this way so they dont blow out the weaker Islamic armies?? I boosted their stats so they were more like Western knights in total armor / defensive skill.

And one Major Issue
    1) I saw this in somebody else's message. I crash when I fight the faction that starts next to Venice. I'm at work right now and I cant remember their name.

Its probably the Serbs, they had the same problem as Jerusalem and a few more factions that I missed in expanded.txt, I uploaded the fixed version of it here. Paste it into RegionModBM\data\text and delete the strings.bin files and it should be sorted.

I haven't played a huge amount with the Kingdom of Jerusalem, just tested them in custom battles and had a short campaign with them. I've mainly been rampaging across Europe with the Irish so you would be in a better position to comment on their unit strengths than I would. I set the knights to be on a par with some of the Turkish infantry but if they're underpowered I'll adjust them to suit. Even better, if you want to send me the boosted stats I'll add yours instead.
    The building list is very patchy in places, thanks for letting me know about them not being able to recruit the pavice crossbowmen. I'll change that to suit and sort out some of the missing skins when I get the chance.
    Any more problems or if anyone can add to it please let me know.

Paul d's Avatar Praepositus

dude, "one or two units?" almost all the new units have no skins, especially the serbians and irish.

I found a fix for the irish not being able to change from castles to villages, etc.. in the export_building_descr at the bottom there are lines for this action, I just added "saxons" to them and voila..

Quote Originally Posted by Paul d View Post
    dude, "one or two units?" almost all the new units have no skins, especially the serbians and irish.
    Really? I've come across a rebel Irish general, a bodyguard unit and rebel dismounted feudal knights with no skins so far, am currently looking for more.
    Did you paste everything from the data folder in the download into the games original data folder? It sounds like you haven't as the battle_models.modeldb file alone will sort out the Serbs, the models for the Irish are in there too.

Quote Originally Posted by greystorme View Post
    I found a fix for the irish not being able to change from castles to villages, etc.. in the export_building_descr at the bottom there are lines for this action, I just added "saxons" to them and voila..
    Excellent stuff, thanks for that, was going through that file from the top down and couldn't find it.

Hmmm, still have ctd issue I had been playing fairly well for almost 100 years and got a sudden crash during KoJ's turn. (Not sure what happened, didn't have "follow AI" on). Also it seems that the Aztecs commit immediate mass suicide for some unknown reason and the Mali did the same at about turn 10. I have loaded your expanded txt fix so not sure what the problem was. On the upside, I loved the way the factions spread so fast, was nice to see someone doing something constructive besides just the Italian cities You definately seem to be on the right path with this, just a few more fixes

Yep, great mod as far as it works... about 100 very fun game years

I'm having a similar problem to greystorme

Anyone got any ideas of how to solve this. Rob the Celt's update/fix file doe not resolve this

Quote Originally Posted by felixRS View Post
    Belgrade isn't on his real place!
    ?

Quote Originally Posted by felixRS View Post
    ?
    I'm sorry but I don't understand what you mean by this, can you say it a different way!

Dimitri_Harkov came across the reason why Mali dies off so quickly, they have no bodyguard unit so new family members die because they have no unit to represent them, that can be fixed in the export_descr_unit file as he said.

Still haven't worked out why the game ctds when it does, I can't get it to crash near 100 turns, or at any stage. Can you post the system.log.txt file after a ctd on the off chance there is a hint as to whats going wrong in it.

Hopefully if I can sort out the bugs I'll give all the factions 1 or 2 more regions to get them to expand a bit faster, I don't like the way there are huge empty spaces full of rebels on the map, its a bit of a waste. At the same time I'd like to get the historically strong factions to be the stronger factions in the campaign.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast