Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Screenshots!

Basileos Predator's Avatar Campidoctor

Default Re: Screenshots!

So i decided to move on the offensive.
    The army of the king attacked in the cluster of the enemy armies of Harad and , in 4 battles dispersed them.
    There is an pic from the begining of the attacks andone from the end.
    An army of rhun attacked me, it is quite strong and gave me a good battle.Then one other in East-Mordor, a place where the armies of rhun keep invading.
    The battles against harad led to the capture in the south of the settlements near Umbar and now i am going to take the rest of their sea-cities.
    So what is your opinion about this.(keep in mind this is over an modified version of the basic game.-i have greater income-and 50% of it goes to Rohan as tribute.They have some good armies.)

Cheers Predator!
    Last edited by Basileos Predator; September 13, 2012 at 02:27 PM.

Looks like rhun had a crushing deafeat.

Yeah.There were some casulties, but acceptable.

Blatta Optima Maxima's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae
    Free Democratic People's Republic of Latvia

Speaking of hordes, how come the Haradrim come in such large numbers? AFAIK they are less advanced than Gondor, being poorer and thus having a smaller population density. This assumption is supported by the terrain. So why are they able to support huge armies even after losing the [presumably] heavily populated coast?

ExtremeBG's Avatar Decanus

Because the Harad Empire was way bigger than that seen in your typical middle earth map,it goes a lot more to the south and is way bigger than any Middle earth kingdom .

Macedonia(FYROM) is Bulgarian. If you don't believe me, read a book.

Quote Originally Posted by ExtremeBG View Post
    Because the Harad Empire was way bigger than that seen in your typical middle earth map,it goes a lot more to the south and is way bigger than any Middle earth kingdom .
    Didn't knew that.Glad to know and this would make them support huge armies and endevor in great campains.

In the next screenshots can you show us rhuns capital?

Quote Originally Posted by ExtremeBG View Post
    Not really, no. Far Harad, an arid region inhabited by nomads, starts just south from Umbar. That, and putting men in the field requires logistical support. The more you raise, the harder they are to maintain. Looking at FATW's Harad the region is mostly arid and semi-arid wasteland apart from the densely populated coast.

Gondor is more advanced in every respect, so I expect them to be more efficient. If Gondor has 5 full stacks, no way that Harad has 20.

Thangaror's Avatar Senator

Quote Originally Posted by Blatta Optima Maxima View Post
    Not really, no. Far Harad, an arid region inhabited by nomads, starts just south from Umbar.
    Source?

Also IIRC there somewhere is a passage claiming that Umbar is only the northernmost city in Harad and that there are a bunch of Númenórean colonies in the south. Also the Númenóreans wouldn't have been attracted to Harad if it was just a desert.
    I would rather have a memory that is fair but unfinished than one that goes on to a grievous end.

Quote Originally Posted by bereserker789087 View Post
    In the next screenshots can you show us rhuns capital?
    Well, i actually have it under siege right now, as a punitive raid due to their past endevours in my teritories..Yes, i shall show it and the siege.
    As for the campain , i have destroyed Dunland by capturing their last city-the one with Orthanc don't recall the name i guess it is Dunhold-(unfortunately, the city was plagued and next turn the experienced, and good manager general died due to it and i had a hard time calming the population).
    In the south things are awsome, i am close now to cutting them of the sea and i am constantly pushing towards UR.
    So, what do you want to see in next pics?

Quote Originally Posted by Thangaror View Post
    Source?

Also IIRC there somewhere is a passage claiming that Umbar is only the northernmost city in Harad and that there are a bunch of Númenórean colonies in the south. Also the Númenóreans wouldn't have been attracted to Harad if it was just a desert.
    So then where is an advanced logistical system in place for supplying troops over massive distances from the richer South? And how on ME can they hold something as huge together?

I suspect you are 100% aware of the fact that there are absolutely now descriptions of logistics in the books. Morgoth, the Elves, Númenor, Gondor, the Dwarves and Sauron, they all mustered massive armies and supplied them over long distances.
    I would rather have a memory that is fair but unfinished than one that goes on to a grievous end.

I wouldn’t say that Harad and Khand were even unified states, and if they were, they worked as a loose alliance of different people and tribes. I highly doubt that they would even call themselves those names, but identified with their tribe instead. “Harad” and “Rhun” mean in Sindarin south and east and were used in similar manner as Hellenic people used word “barbarian”. They had very obscure knowledge about those people at best.

During the War of the Ring Saruman, their god and overlord unified them and those alliances probably fall apart after his demise.
    Unified Harad is anyway thing of the past (or rather newer existed in the FO) as situation in the DoM will be much different (realistic).

See what Aradan said:

Quote Originally Posted by Aradan View Post
    DoM isn't supposed to blindly follow TNS. It essentially suggests a different, revised backstory (since we now have factions we hadn't previously though of) so there's no point trying to reconcile every difference between TNS and DoM. Playing DoM you should assume only the 'basics' mentioned in TNS, FE or CI continue to be true. Harondor was the result of a revolt (which actually happened before TNS' time), but Far Harad and Khand were "always there", even if we didn't mention them in TNS.
    And, let’s be honest. You know that Harad and Rhun have bigger armies because of the game balance and huge territory they occupied in TNS (early unhindered expansion). Plus lower unit costs. Reason behind that is clearly to counter extremely tough, but less numbered RK’s units. Logistics? It was aliens orcs.

No, seriously, during the War of the Ring they had huge territory far beyond the “known” map, and in the DoM situation will be revised anyway.
    Last edited by Jagmodo; September 15, 2012 at 06:38 AM.

They no longer have their god-emperor to unify and feed them, though. Even the Orcs need feeding, as pointed out in one of the Mordor chapters, i.e. the passage about how the largest part of Mordor is actually agricultural hinterland, used to supply Sauron's armies. Tolkien wasn't exactly ignorant of what logistics are.

I'm not really sure that armies of Middle-earth were ever that huge. In Unfinished tales army or Eorl that fought in the Field of Celebrant is said to have 7,000 riders, and it is described as very large, with evil creatures fearing to attack it - even though it passed near Sauron current stronghold in Dol Gundur - meaning it would be a hard task even for him to crush them (at least at that stage). Later Theoden army of fields of Pellenor (6,000 riders strong) is described as largest forces Rohirrim sent out of Rohan since Eorl. That means that forces that Folcwine sent to Poros were smaller than that and they were described as massive.

Further, joint armies of entire Harad at Pellenor had 18,000 men (described as three times the number of Rohirrim), which is pretty small for such large area.

On other side, joint Rohan-Gondor army sent againt Black gate had IIRC 4,000 men, and Imrahil says that it's smaller than vanguards of Gondor in it's time of glory, but even that doesn't suggest armies much larger than 30,000, and that's not much for real world (and it's abnormally huge for ME). In ancient times armies regulary had 40,000+ men. Carthage, Rome, Seleucids, Ptolemais, Macedonians often fielded armies of that size and larger. It shouldn't be surprising if advanced civilization as Gondor or a demigod as Sauron fielded armies of that size. And if I'm not mistaken, ME is really not that large.

Quote Originally Posted by Stark1 View Post
    I'm not really sure that armies of Middle-earth were ever that huge. In Unfinished tales army or Eorl that fought in the Field of Celebrant is said to have 7,000 riders, and it is described as very large, with evil creatures fearing to attack it - even though it passed near Sauron current stronghold in Dol Gundur - meaning it would be a hard task even for him to crush them (at least at that stage). Later Theoden army of fields of Pellenor (6,000 riders strong) is described as largest forces Rohirrim sent out of Rohan since Eorl. That means that forces that Folcwine sent to Poros were smaller than that and they were described as massive.
    Indeed, ME's armies are supposed to be rather small.
    Further, joint armies of entire Harad at Pellenor had 18,000 men (described as three times the number of Rohirrim), which is pretty small for such large area.
    Gah, when will people learn that land area has absolutely nothing to do with army sizes? Even population does not, because of the prohibitive logistical difficulties preventing anyone from consistently keeping more than 40 thousand men in the field before the industrial age.

18 000 is not a small army. It's a pretty damn large army for a medieval-eseque society. Again, it is large when you consider that Rohan can't do much more than 10 000.
    On other side, joint Rohan-Gondor army sent againt Black gate had IIRC 4,000 men, and Imrahil says that it's smaller than vanguards of Gondor in it's time of glory, but even that doesn't suggest armies much larger than 30,000,
    It doesn't suggest an army larger than 12 000 - 15 000. Of course, you might argue that vanguards in Gondoran armies are smaller than those find anywhere else, but that will require a source.
    and that's not much for real world (and it's abnormally huge for ME).
    It IS much for the real world. Just because ancient sources spew out gargantuan numbers doesn't mean they actually had such. FFS, this is larger than most field armies in the 17th century!
    In ancient times armies regulary had 40,000+ men. Carthage, Rome, Seleucids, Ptolemais, Macedonians often fielded armies of that size and larger. It shouldn't be surprising if advanced civilization as Gondor or a demigod as Sauron fielded armies of that size. And if I'm not mistaken, ME is really not that large.
    Ok, now I am seriously confused as to what your point is. You attack me, yet you don't even notice that I never said anything about armies having to be huge.

In fact, my WHOLE ING POINT IS THAT HARAD'S ARMIES NEED BE SMALLER, NOT GONDOR'S LARGER.

Learn to read, FFS.

Why is it that you are always getting abusive when someone "attacks" you, or for some other ridiculous reasons?

Quote Originally Posted by Thangaror View Post
    Why is it that you are always getting abusive when someone "attacks" you, or for some other ridiculous reasons?
    Why is that loads of people try to argue when they don't have an argument?

I think you should try to control your behaviour, and stop assuming other people are stupid.

Why do you even think I'm attacking you? I was just sharing my thoughts about armies of ME, as I just read story of Cirion and Eorl and was thinking about it anyway. I only wrote some stuff I remember from the books relevant to the topic, I didn't claim armies of ME are either large or small.
    Last edited by Stark1; September 15, 2012 at 08:52 AM.

I did a custom battle lately i played as adunabar the units i had is1 royal gurads 1 swords of the shadow 1 royal spearmen 1 royal longbowmen i had 368 vs 2081 men of reunited kingdom i had a heroic victory the kills i got is 1719....... the enemy had kills 25..... i have 347 men remain..... the enemy has 362 men remains the battle map i did is upper nurn.

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast