Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: SS 3.0 Map: Keep it or Change It?

Wolfgrin's Avatar Semisalis

Default SS 3.0 Map: Keep it or Change It?

I've seen a number of people commenting on different maps they'd like to see in Stainless and thought it warranted a more complete discussion.

Personally, I love the SS 3.0 map. It has many extra provinces, seems well-balanced and DOES NOT LAG. I'm all for keeping it.

I tried Big Map for a while, but bailed on it when the time between turns hit five minutes.

What do you think of the Stainless 3.0 map as it is? Should we keep it or change it?

Default Re: SS 3.0 Map: Keep it or Change It?

I do agree with you that the map we se in 3.0 is ok.
    but on the other hand i do belive that a larger map,
    would make the game more challengin.
    I think that KK have been talking about adding more factions and,
    provinses to the mod.
    so that in mind, to advoid the game becomes a one big siege
    and a way to stop that, is to add a bigger map im not talking
    of bigmap.

CtrlAltDe1337's Avatar Praepositus

If there was a map about half-way between the size of bigmap and vanilla's, I would say use it. Unfortunately, there isn't and bigmap lags too much even though it is fun. I say keep the current map as there isn't anything wrong with it.

First of all, I'm glad that you can live with the current map!

If there was a map about half-way between the size of bigmap and vanilla's, I would say use it. Unfortunately, there isn't and bigmap lags too much even though it is fun. I say keep the current map as there isn't anything wrong with it.
    I totally agree with you there, Crucifix!
    I would also like to have a map that is extended slightly to the north and east, not as big as BigMap, Medieval Europe Map or Miak's map, which all use the maximum map size! Probably they are all quite laggy...

Mrkk has also suggested a very interesting map from the Mundus Magnus mod:

Perhaps I'll make a similar map to this one, however I would cut the map slightly in the east and the south, because I believe still too big for a non-lagging game...
    Well, it is all pretty hypothetical, but this would be a map I would like to use...

Comments or suggestions are always appreciated!
    Last edited by King Kong; April 17, 2007 at 01:48 PM.

Winner of 'Favorite M2TW Mod' and 'Favorite M2TW Modder' Award 2007 & 2008

the lag in the bigmap doesn't come from the size it comes from the
    - number of regions\settlements (not so important)
    - AI Army spawning later in the game because of AI cash overflow: a lot of space\money --> a lot of armies... this has to be reduced later in the game...

repman

BareBonesWars 8.1 for RTW 1.5
    Integration Mod which combines unique strategic challenges due to a 4 Season scripted campaign from 280 BC - 180 AD on several big/small maps and with an ruthless AI on the battlefield.
    Deus lo Vult DLV 6.2 for MTW II Kingdoms
    Norway+Ireland+Flanders+Kiev+Lithuania+Teutonic_Order+Armenia+Crusader+Georgia,1y2t script, army field costs, Ultimate AI 1.6, big map, military career, economic system, age simulation, heraldic system, new factions, garrison script, Crowns + Swords, Trait bugfixer, religion dependent recruiting, ancillary enhancements, darth battle mechanics

Quote Originally Posted by King Kong View Post
    First of all, I'm glad that you can live with the current map!

I totally agree with you there, Crucifix!
    I would also like to have a map that is extended slightly to the north and east, not as big as BigMap, Medieval Europe Map or Miak's map, which all use the maximum map size! Probably they are all quite laggy...

Mrkk has also suggested a very interesting map from the Mundus Magnus mod:

Perhaps I'll make a similar map to this one, however I would cut the map slightly in the east and the south, because I believe still too big for a non-lagging game...
    Well, it is all pretty hypothetical, but this would be a map I would like to use...

Comments or suggestions are always appreciated!
    Thats an interesting map, but I don't think it would need to go that far like you said. The Seljuk turks held some land into central Asia (see pic) but not quite that far. If you ever do make a new map, maybe extend it about as far as the black line in the picture below.

If you didn't care about ships being able to sail around the Arabian Peninsula, you could cut it off a little closer and not go so far south. Otherwise you are gonna have to add some more factions or have loads of rebels.

By the way, what are those starting positions from, RTW, BI, or a mod?

Yeah, the map your looking at is from a map, that have been used in varius mods, for rome tw among others Lusted TE and EB

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=114

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=31

the great thing with the map and those mod were as you said that you could saild around arabia.

Hi repman,
    the lag in the bigmap doesn't come from the size it comes from the
    - number of regions\settlements (not so important)
    - AI Army spawning later in the game because of AI cash overflow: a lot of space\money --> a lot of armies... this has to be reduced later in the game...
    Thanks for the note!
    And well, that's pretty right of course, however a bigger map always comes with more regions and accordingly with more armies...
    So, I think it's inevitable that the game will lag a bit more.
    And well, I don't want to reduce the amount of armies because of game performance.
    That's why I look for a just slightly bigger map where I don't have much restrictions for the campaign or performance...

Hi Crucifix,

Yes, your black line is almost the exact border I had in mind for my map!
    America on the left side of the map would make the right proportions for this map...
    And as mrkk mentioned, the map is from the Mundus Magnus mod for RTW.

ok, guys, i really don't care either way. but just to all of you that complains abot laggin, for gods sake, just either lower the resolution? or best way? TURN OFF THE CAMPAIGN SHADOWS, not that much difference but! Gets rid of ALL of the lagg

+rep for me if you agree with me , i might give it right back to you

Hi Mike,

Well, that's your opinion.
    But as I said, I don't want have more restrictions for the campaign or performance.
    The vanilla game really has enough system requirements.
    I neither want to upgrade my computer nor I want to play on an ugly campaign map...

Wolfgrin's Avatar Semisalis

Turning off shadows on BigMap did NOT decrease the lag much.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike13531 View Post
    ok, guys, i really don't care either way. but just to all of you that complains abot laggin, for gods sake, just either lower the resolution? or best way? TURN OFF THE CAMPAIGN SHADOWS, not that much difference but! Gets rid of ALL of the lagg
    Doesn't do much at all. Get rids of the stutter when moving quickly over the map but does not shorten the turns much if at all. Especially in heavily scripted mods like DLV.

Yes, that's correct. I've just tested it and it turning off the shadows or reducing the resolution doesn't shorten the AI turns on a very big map at all...

King Kong, please also add a third province in Portuguese territory in the process and also remove pamplona from portuguese control, all this if possible of course.

I also agree with expanding the map a little to the east and south.

Hi numerosdecimus,

Well, someone else also mentioned that Pamplona should be removed from Portugal and that there should be one more province in the south of the Iberian peninsula, so I'll consider this for the next map...

pajomife's Avatar Protector Domesticus

I use to play Regions&provinces mod , it use a own version of Bigmap ,i play more than 100 turns with no CTD ,delays or any problem , the spourios Bigmap,and bigmap Late era ,in the end of the turns ,have some delayed problems bur the sb2 map are prefect , i spent only 5 seconds in the end of turn(i switch of the AI movements),so if he can do this job with a big map you could do to,and some people o play with BM cant back to vanilla again.

King Kong, a map like the Mundus Magnus but cut slightly in the south and east would be perfect but if possible, please try to put some of the African west coast.

Quote Originally Posted by numerosdecimus View Post
    King Kong, a map like the Mundus Magnus but cut slightly in the south and east would be perfect but if possible, please try to put some of the African west coast.
    Personally, I would rather have more in the east instead of Africa. The only factions who could access the area easily would be the Moors, and they control enough of Africa already imo.

Hum, that isn't completely true, beside, the west coast of Africa was very important historically at that time and since the mod goes all he way until 1530 it should be worth noted that most main coastal cities were under portuguese control/administration already in the 1460's. In short, if a player wants to act more or less according to history when playing portugal, then the west african coast is crucial.

Second, let us not forget the Ginea gold coast.
    Last edited by numerosdecimus; April 24, 2007 at 05:40 PM.

Hi pajomife,
    I use to play Regions&provinces mod , it use a own version of Bigmap ,i play more than 100 turns with no CTD ,delays or any problem , the spourios Bigmap,and bigmap Late era ,in the end of the turns ,have some delayed problems bur the sb2 map are prefect , i spent only 5 seconds in the end of turn(i switch of the AI movements),so if he can do this job with a big map you could do to,and some people o play with BM cant back to vanilla again.
    Well, maybe I'll make an alternative map for future versions that but I'm not sure yet.
    But thanks for the note!

Hi numerosdecimus,

Well, I think there will be a little more of the African west coast in the future map, since the whole map will be slightly extended to the south.
    However, I also agree with Crucifx that Africa shouldn't be too large and that the eastern part of the world played a more significant role in Medieval times...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast