Thread: Diplomatic relations

Default Diplomatic relations

what will be the diplomatic relations of each Civ?

for example Armenia and KoJ should be allies at the beginning.
    great Seljuqs and Egyptians at war.
    etc...

Indefinitely Banned

Default Re: Diplomatic relations

Not sure yet what the "start" position of each faction will be. I'd rather start them off neutral or allied and let the diplomacy AI "guide" them to warring with the historically correct adversary.

CtrlAltDe1337's Avatar Praepositus

If I were you, I would atleast make the faction standings between historic allies very good. Vanilla already does this for factions like France and Scotland and I think its a good idea.

IrAr's Avatar Senator

The Latins and Armenians had a rocky relationship. At best, the Latins nearly forgot these people giving them water, food and guides to show them the better paths were "So schismatic, the Easterners (Greeks) couldn't control them". That is not a direct quote by the way, that is a summary of the Western Mindset.

Latin and Armenian relationships went downhill when the Latins realised they had been tricked (after at least two centuries) by the Armenian Kings. The Armenians' subtle hinting at joining Catholicism was merely a diplomatic tool and coupled with the fight over Antioch, Crusader and Armenian relationships did turn downhill.

Still, France and England did still look favourably upon the Armenians, but all for naught. They would not cease the Hundred Year's War to aid Kilikia and gave Levon VI only their "blessing" despite him being of Frankish blood! He was a Lusignan (although one of the few that actually tried to better the kingdom).

The Armenians and Mongols also had a good relationship, but that ended with Timur.

Indefinitely Banned

Well lets make this the diplomacy discussion thread.

So far I've gleaned this:

Armenians: Will not be immune from warfare with Byz and KoJ.
    Georgians: Generally better relations with Byz due to Seljuk threat. Bad relations with Seljuks.

Here's stuff I think it true:

KoJ and Egypt will start of either at war or "abysmal" relations.
    Ghorids will be a vassal state of Ghazni and will start of with okay relations.
    Ghorids will start off with abysmal relations with the Rajputs.
    Seljuks will have bad relations with Abbasids, Georgians, Khwarezm and Ghazni.

CtrlAltDe1337's Avatar Praepositus

I don't think the Armenians should be immune from warfare with the Roman Empire and KoJ, but they should go to war much less often and start with very good relations. I agree with making the KoJ and Egyptians at war from that start. You might could do the same thing with the Roman Empire and the Seljuks. The rest sounds good.

Tadzreuli's Avatar Chevalier Blanche

Georgians: Generally better relations with Byz due to Seljuk threat. Bad relations with Seljuks.
    I agree... and also Georgian had good relations with KoJ, Cilician Armenia and Roman pope !

IrAr's Avatar Senator

Byzantium and Cilicia had a rocky at best relationship. In fact, Cilicia was started with a revolution against the skeleton of Byzantine troops in Cilicia, who were easily disposed of, though most joined Roupen as they were generally Armenians.

Tadzreuli is right. Georgia and Armenia truly were the Last Christian bastions in the east.

It would be nice if we could script the campaign so that when the Mongols arrive the Seljuks and Byzantine relations get better and possibly form an alliance.
    "I don't want to sit around Windsor because ermm .. I just generally don't like England that much" - Prince Harry, 3rd in Line for the British Thrown

For King or Country - The English civil wars.

Quote Originally Posted by AlphaDelta View Post
    It would be nice if we could script the campaign so that when the Mongols arrive the Seljuks and Byzantine relations get better and possibly form an alliance.
    It might be possible. It seems possible, just scripting to have the relationships artifically jump up. We could have the relationship between Mongol, KoJ and Armenia also leap up, given they allied with them against the Mamelukes.

Indefinitely Banned

Good point. I will have to investigate that. I don't think diplomacy stances can be "scripted" I think it more to do with the diplomacy AI coding itself. If I can include a condition in the diplomacy code that is based on "events" then it could easily be done. I will get heavy into all this after the 25th.

Quote Originally Posted by mirage41 View Post
    Good point. I will have to investigate that. I don't think diplomacy stances can be "scripted" I think it more to do with the diplomacy AI coding itself. If I can include a condition in the diplomacy code that is based on "events" then it could easily be done. I will get heavy into all this after the 25th.
    I may be mistaken, but I believe either Repman or Darth was able to do this in their Mods (maybe both did). Then again, I could be wrong...to hear my wife tell it I usually am
    Former Historian & Dev Member for Broken Crescent Mod
    Dual-Major BA in Medieval History / Political Science, Adelphi University Aug. 1989
    Member of the World History Association
    Member of the Medieval Academy of America
    Member of the Richard III Society
    Member of the Society for the Study of the Crusades and Latin East
    If you like my post, please +Rep...if you dislike my post, please +REP me twice