Page 1 of 31 123456789101126 ... LastLast

Thread: Europa Univeralis 3

Pnutmaster's Avatar Dominus Qualitatium

Default Europa Univeralis 3

http://pc.ign.com/articles/733/733412p1.html

Yes, there is no battle map.
    Yes, the graphics are outdated.
    Yes, the map is limited to North America and Europe...

...But for those that feel the Total War series favors gameplay over realism and find themselves ultimately auto-resolving battles, this may be the game for you.

I'll await post-release reviews before I begin critizing and/or praising this game
    Last edited by Pnutmaster; September 26, 2006 at 10:13 AM.
    Under the patronage and bound to the service of the
    artist formerly known as Squeakus Maximus
    Stoic Pantheist of S.I.N

Gavmundo's Avatar Senator
    Morecambe, UK ... in the realms of the North!

Default Re: Europa Universalis III

EUIII definately isn't a Total War sort of game. Its more as I'd call "Grand Strategy". Other such games falling in this category would be Crusader Kings, Hearts of Iron series, Victoria as well as the previous EU games. I've played them all and (although I can't speak for EUIII) they are all very enjoyable, are played in realtime, cover large periods in history (you are able to choose several scenarios set as time periods - for instance the Grand Campaign covers the 1400's to 1800's or you can choose to play the Napoleonic era etc) and there are hundreds of countries to play - large or small. Unlike TW when you conquer a province you don't own it you just occupy it and you have to negotiate diplomatically to take control of the provinces when the war is over. In some cases you can annex entire countries but you may only want to take certain provinces and just negotiate the transfer of these provinces to your country depending how successful you are militarily.

I haven't followed EUIII for a while but I believe its not just Europe and America but the whole world. The previous games covered the entire planet not just Europe and the Americas. I'd be a bit disappointed if this had changed! The previous games were very good and had a massive amount of depth unlike Total War although its not as much fun if you can't see your soldiers fall

imb39's Avatar Comes Rei Militaris
    Patrician Citizen spy of the council

EUIII is nothing like the TW games. It is far more strategic and long term orientated. EU2 remains one of my favourite games ever and I cannot wait for EUIII. It is not a game where you gaze at the graphics at all. If that's your goal, you will be sadly disappointed.

Spartan's Avatar Divus
    Patrician

It is a rock solid grand or global strategy game or dare I say simulation. You cant go wrong with the title IMO.
    "Consular" Spartan, Vassal of Siblesz
    Lord of lt1956, & Vercingetorix, Founder House of Spartae
    §§TWC's Father of Modding§§ §§ RulersoftheSea.com §§
    "The greatest pain a man can suffer is to have knowledge of much, & power over nothing" - Herodotus

Sidus Preclarum's Avatar Honnête Homme.

Quote Originally Posted by preview
    One of the most welcome of the new features is the ability to choose any start date between 1453 and 1789
    This sounds so sweet...

Looks like the have reworked the Papacy and the HRE too..
    Overall, this preview is packed full of awesomeness: I had been a bit defiant at EUIII (because of the first screenies of the 3D map), but I must admit I'm now conquered...
    Last edited by Sidus Preclarum; September 25, 2006 at 04:14 AM.

You're dead-wrong. The game covers the whole planet.

In my humble opinion it is best to read the developement diaries. Then you'll get an idea how the game plays and how strong paradox works to make it moddable for the community.
    http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/...d.php?t=252241

Sidus Preclarum's Avatar Honnête Homme.

Quote Originally Posted by lila-laune-bär
    In my humble opinion it is best to read the developement diaries. Then you'll get an idea how the game plays and how strong paradox works to make it moddable for the community.
    http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/...d.php?t=252241

I think reading this is the closest I'll ever come to understanding what it feels for a woman to have multiple orgasms...

I love the system they've set up concerning wars of succession.

And YAY THERE ARE MORE THAN FIVE MANUFACTORIES NOW!

Yea can't wait for this. EUII is one of my favourite games and there's so much playability value! So many games give you 20-30 hrs of gaming if you're lucky. Games like EU are well into their hundreds!

I'm playing Crusader Kings again at the moment and love the RP/sim elements to it. Managing your Courtiers, educating your children, dishing out titles and making nobles. The only downside is the battle engine which is hardly an engine at all (having more troop=victory). Imagine a hybrid between CK and EU ohhh heaven. Doubt anyone would finish a game in less than a thousand hours though

Ulyaoth's Avatar Truly a God Amongst Men

Up until around a year ago, I had no idea what Paradox games were. I'd heard every once in a while about EU2, never knew what the hell it was about, just a name to me. Then on another forum some guy did a AAR playing as Milan and I read through and became really interested in it. Couldn't find it in any stores though, so I never got it, HoI2 interested me, too, still trying to find that(I don't like buying things online) and looking forward to this. Map looked like crap before but in those pics it's looking fairly good. Can't wait to get it once it comes out.
    I'm cold, and there are wolves after me.

Under the Patronage of the Almighty Justinian

Nothing like TW series indeed but Paradox's realtime games are every bit ase good/fun as TW games. Crusader King is my favorite because I absolutely love the dynasty aspects of the game. Best game ever would be Paradox's strategic game with TW battle game....

Quote Originally Posted by Sidus Preclarum
    I think reading this is the closest I'll ever come to understanding what it feels for a woman to have multiple orgasms...
    You, Sir, are disgusting, but speak the truth.
    Last edited by lila-laune-bär; September 26, 2006 at 04:54 AM.

Matthæus's Avatar Knez Bribirski

eu2 is in my opiniom one of best strategy games ever !! i will certanly buy eu3.

i saw screenshots from the game ani i saw korean peninsula, so that means: whole world IS included.
    Last edited by Matthæus; September 26, 2006 at 05:18 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by danzig
    Nothing like TW series indeed but Paradox's realtime games are every bit ase good/fun as TW games. Crusader King is my favorite because I absolutely love the dynasty aspects of the game. Best game ever would be Paradox's strategic game with TW battle game....

Yea agreed. I also love the CK Dynasties. Its great to give your children an education path to follow and see them develop their skills as they mature and give them titles or marry them off if they're female and then eventually inherit your crown and you then play as your son. Great stuff.

MoROmeTe's Avatar For my name is Legion

I need a cigarette after the IGN preview and the development diaries... and I do not even smoke.

I totally like EU II and it seems that EU III is gonnabe the simulation to end all 1453 to renaissance simulations. And if AGCEEP find any bugs and makes it even more historically accurate then I am surely gonna put in a few thousand hours into it...

In the long run, we are all dead - John Maynard Keynes
    Under the patronage of Lvcivs Vorenvs
    Holding patronage upon the historical tvrcopolier and former patron of the once fallen, risen from the ashes and again fallen RvsskiSoldat

Quote Originally Posted by Pnutmaster
    http://pc.ign.com/articles/733/733412p1.html

Yes, there is no battle map.
    Yes, the graphics are outdated.

...But for those that feel the Total War series favors gameplay over realism and find themselves ultimately auto-resolving battles, this may be the game for you.

I'll await post-release reviews before I begin critizing and/or praising this game
    eh? what do you mean map is limited to europe and north america?, EU has allways been set throughout the entire world though it does focus in europe you can play any nation or tribe that ever exsisted anywhere in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by MoROmeTe
    I need a cigarette after the IGN preview and the development diaries... and I do not even smoke.

I totally like EU II and it seems that EU III is gonnabe the simulation to end all 1453 to renaissance simulations. And if AGCEEP find any bugs and makes it even more historically accurate then I am surely gonna put in a few thousand hours into it...
    Only a few thousand hours?

You sir, lack dedication!

But yeah, I'm going to be playing this more than M2TW.

Senator

Quote Originally Posted by Pnutmaster

Im going to jump on you as well.

You can play as ANY COUNTRY from a list of like 300.
    WE GO PLAY SOME HOOP

Ooooooooooooh, this will be awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by MoROmeTe

Yea as I said before its so refreshing to have games that give the player hundreds if not thousands of hours of gameplay rather then 10 or 20! I've had EUII since it came out and still only played about 5 different countries

Page 1 of 31 123456789101126 ... LastLast