Thread: Mongol Invasion or Stroll in the Park?

Wolfgrin's Avatar Semisalis

Default Mongol Invasion or Stroll in the Park?

I'm playing the Templars on H/VH, and have seen a disturbing development in the Mongols. In SS 2.2, the Mongols appeared, immediately went to war and usually had two or three towns within ten years.

In my current game (SS 3.0 with UAI 1.3 incorporated), the Mongol arrival was announced and soon after they were reported (in the diplomacy menu) as being at war with the Seljuks. Well, I had spies everywhere, but could not find them until about 20 turns later when they surfaced around Yerevan. There seemed to be several extra stacks, because the Horde was truly looking like a horde. Very scary. However, they didn't attack any of the Seljuk or Byzantine cities they were clustered around. They just strolled here and there doing NOTHING, until about 15 turns later when the bulk of their armies wandered into my territory and attacked me. I held a bridge against three of their armies and from that time on, they stayed in my territory (around Edessa) milling around and bumping into each other, but not doing anything. I took out a couple more of their armies and assassinated most of their leaders (with the new ridiculously overpowered assassins). In a final battle, I killed their faction leader and the Horde disappeared.

What could be causing this aimless , strolling behavior? Any thoughts?

Default Re: Mongol Invasion or Stroll in the Park?

Hi Wolfgrin,

Well, when you incorporated the Ultimate AI, did you also change the "AI_labels" in the descr_strat.txt file?
    This labels are pretty important for his Ultimate AI, because he made own Ai_labels for all cultures except catholics.
    If you have still the "default AI label" for the Mongols in the descr_strat.txt file it will probably course weird results.
    However, I've seen this aimless Mongols also in the vanilla game occasionally...

Regarding the assassins, I think you're right and they have to be toned down a bit...
    Thanks for the note!
    Last edited by King Kong; April 16, 2007 at 09:53 AM.

Winner of 'Favorite M2TW Mod' and 'Favorite M2TW Modder' Award 2007 & 2008

I was also playing Templars on H/VH when they appeared by Yerevan, sent spies to spot them and found nothing. They went to war with the Seljuks, in frustration I toggle_fow and there where NINE stacks of them... The sacked Yerevan and left it for dead - rebel, then Mosul, then Baghdad, not setting up base anywhere, then that town starting with P below Mosul, Damascus, then me in well defended Antioch. They seiged me with three stacks, I fought the battle and I got wasted, they blasted the walls and had the city centre in FIVE minutes, I had no chance. 8 turns later, no more Templars... Holy Cr.......

xxax's Avatar Senator

Same here. The templars were doing quite well until the Mongols...

And yes, if you don't have a full stack of quality units defending the city it falls very quickly...

Hi Shaka,
    I was also playing Templars on H/VH when they appeared by Yerevan, sent spies to spot them and found nothing. They went to war with the Seljuks, in frustration I toggle_fow and there where NINE stacks of them... The sacked Yerevan and left it for dead - rebel, then Mosul, then Baghdad, not setting up base anywhere, then that town starting with P below Mosul, Damascus, then me in well defended Antioch. They seiged me with three stacks, I fought the battle and I got wasted, they blasted the walls and had the city centre in FIVE minutes, I had no chance. 8 turns later, no more Templars... Holy Cr.......
    Hehe , yes, the Mongols can be very devastating!
    I also played a campign as the russians where the Mongols crushed almost my whole empire.. but just almost!

Hi xxax,

Glad to read that the Mongols are actually are real threat!

Winner of 'Favorite M2TW Mod' and 'Favorite M2TW Modder' Award 2007 & 2008

lol yea i've found that it's better to build up for them then give away some provinces to the neighbors so they will go to war with them as well and you can bunch up your men in 1-2 cities and fade them out ....... turn around and go pick at them city by city once they spread out

let it be noted that the first time i tried that i had 4 stacks each in 2 cities and I lost both cities lol, I didn't have enough $$$ to recruit better troops though.....playing Templars is a hard hard hard way to make a living with $$$

but Dude this mod offers the mongols so much more with the way the AI recruits
    Last edited by Madden; May 05, 2007 at 07:58 PM.