Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tsardom of Bulgaria

Default Tsardom of Bulgaria

Please use this thread to discuss, and post your contribution regarding the Bulgarian faction.

I will begin adding it this week.

Chivalry II TW : The Sicilian Vespers - The Multi-Era Mod Project (MIITW/Kingdoms)
    Chivalry I TW - The Original Medieval Total Conversion Mod (BI 1.6 Or RTW 1.5)
    Under the Patronage of Atterdag

catintheoven's Avatar Senator

Default Re: Tsardom of Bulgaria

what relationship will they have with the byzantines and hungarians?

In the UK we are a democracy one day in four years when we elect our oligarchy

Quote Originally Posted by catintheoven View Post
    what relationship will they have with the byzantines and hungarians?
    Their relations should probably be pretty good. The Emperor Theodore Svetoslav defeated the Byzantines in 1307, but was at peace for the rest of his reign.

I finished the faction symbols tonight. I chose a white lion on a black field. I found a Bulgarian coat of arms dating from 1295. I didn't want to use the more common red CoA, as there are too many red factions already.

Chivalry II TW : The Sicilian Vespers - The Multi-Era Mod Project (MIITW/Kingdoms)

Regarding the Bulgaro-Byzantine relations - both states were bitter rivalries and were often at war. Reletions with Hungary were also tense, also given that bulgarians were orthodox and hungarians catholic, but there were fewer conflicts between those states.

As far as the CoA goes - why not make it a black/dark blue lions on a yellow field?

A man, even if he lives well, dies and another one is born in his place.
    May the one who is born later, when looking at this, remember the one who made it.

Quote Originally Posted by Thracian View Post
    Regarding the Bulgaro-Byzantine relations - both states were bitter rivalries and were often at war. Reletions with Hungary were also tense, also given that bulgarians were orthodox and hungarians catholic, but there were fewer conflicts between those states.

As far as the CoA goes - why not make it a black/dark blue lions on a yellow field?
    The Serbs are already yellow/red. The Black/white shield is historical, dating from 1295, and I think the colors will look good on the campaign map.

Here are some preliminary units:

Veliki Bolyari (Lance, Lamellar, armoured horse)
    Mali Bolyari (Lance, lammelar, armoured horse?)
    Bulgarian Pronoiars (Lance, armoured, heavy horse)
    Cuman Horse Archers
    Vlach Archers
    Vlach Peasants or Auxilliaries (light infantry)
    Vlach Cavalry (bow)
    Plus the generic Eastern European units.

I have alot of authentic unit names for dark/early, but lack late names. If anyone has any authentic late names for the Bulgarian Infantry and Archers, suggestions would be appreciated.
    Last edited by SicilianVespers; April 25, 2007 at 02:40 PM.

Bulgarian Preview:

Tsar Teodor Svetoslav

Faction Banners

Royal Banner

Serbs "charging" the Bulgarians
    Last edited by SicilianVespers; April 21, 2007 at 08:29 AM.

The Bulgarians are looking good!
    Under the patronage of John I Tzimisces

That minimap shows good things, so do the battles.

I need some input, any opinions on adding a Vlach Boieri unit, representing the Vlach nobility?

I am thinking to make them heavy cavalry, but not with armoured horse like the Bulgarian Boyars.

[EDIT]
    Nevermind, I think I will use the unit as Bulgar Bagaturs for the Dark Age & Early Era.
    Last edited by SicilianVespers; April 25, 2007 at 02:40 PM.

More Bulgarian Units:

Vlach Peasants

Vlach Cavalry

I am still working on them, so they may change.

Just a suggestion - remove the "mali" from "mali bolyari". "Viliki" or "grand" bolyari were usually those nobles that participated in the State Council and that were the most powerfull, though I'm not sure wheather it is un official title by the time of the mod or just how people refered to them.
    The "mali bolyari" should be just "bolyari", or nobles.
    Late names for "unit types" are vague. Sadly, after the Ottoman conquest many historical facts about the late tsardom were erased, but I guess these could work:
    "mechonostzi" - swordsman ("mech" - sword, "nosetz" - soeone who carries/something/); "ratnici" could also work, since "rat" is an obsolete version of the bulgarian word for battle and war.
    "kopienostzi" - spearmen
    "streltzi" - archers
    "tzarsky telohraniteli" - tzar's guard (if you're planning them as an unit)

By the way, the Vlach Cavalry seems rather pointless to me. Cumans performed the role of light cavalry in the late (XIII-early XIVth c.) Medieval Bulgarian army and were superb horse archers, while pictorial evedence from the era suggest that the Heavy Bulgarian cavalry still retained their horse archery tradition from the Bulgars (though how godd they were is an obsure fact). The Vlach Auxilliaries, though, acting as the lightest infantry seems a pretty nice fit.

Hope I've helped a bit.

A man, even if he lives well, dies and another one is born in his place.
    May the one who is born later, when looking at this, remember the one who made it.

Quote Originally Posted by Thracian View Post
    Just a suggestion - remove the "mali" from "mali bolyari". "Viliki" or "grand" bolyari were usually those nobles that participated in the State Council and that were the most powerfull, though I'm not sure wheather it is un official title by the time of the mod or just how people refered to them.
    The "mali bolyari" should be just "bolyari", or nobles.
    Late names for "unit types" are vague. Sadly, after the Ottoman conquest many historical facts about the late tsardom were erased, but I guess these could work:
    "mechonostzi" - swordsman ("mech" - sword, "nosetz" - soeone who carries/something/); "ratnici" could also work, since "rat" is an obsolete version of the bulgarian word for battle and war.
    "kopienostzi" - spearmen
    "streltzi" - archers
    "tzarsky telohraniteli" - tzar's guard (if you're planning them as an unit)

By the way, the Vlach Cavalry seems rather pointless to me. Cumans performed the role of light cavalry in the late (XIII-early XIVth c.) Medieval Bulgarian army and were superb horse archers, while pictorial evedence from the era suggest that the Heavy Bulgarian cavalry still retained their horse archery tradition from the Bulgars (though how godd they were is an obsure fact). The Vlach Auxilliaries, though, acting as the lightest infantry seems a pretty nice fit.

Hope I've helped a bit.
    Thanks for the names The Mali Bolyari are the heavy horse archers, and the Veliki Bolyari are basically the same as Tsar's Guard. I added the Vlach Cavalry, for a little variety. They will also be used in the high era campaign, and the Vlachs were important in the founding of the Second Bulgarian Empire.

Hi, I'm really excited to try out your mod when it comes out.

I'm not sure, though, that Sofia should be the main city of the Bulgarians (it was called Sredets anyway) but rather Turnovo, which was the capital of Bulgaria at that time.

I'm also a little partial to Bulgaria, so is there any chance of splitting the current sofia province into a Turnovo province and a Sredets province?

Quote Originally Posted by soccernut View Post
    Hi, I'm really excited to try out your mod when it comes out.

I'm not sure, though, that Sofia should be the main city of the Bulgarians (it was called Sredets anyway) but rather Turnovo, which was the capital of Bulgaria at that time.

I'm also a little partial to Bulgaria, so is there any chance of splitting the current sofia province into a Turnovo province and a Sredets province?

If you look at the preview pics closely, Sofia was already change to Tarnovo.

I am not sure if I am going to add any provinces for 2.0, but they will be coming in the future.

Boztorgai_Khan's Avatar Domesticus

INFO of BULGARS

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bulgars

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bulgars..._Bulgar_tribes

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kubrat

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Batbayan_of_Bulgaria

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asparukh

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of..._.28632-668.29

Asparukh or Isperikh (Bulgarian: Аспарух, Asparuh or Исперих, Isperih) was ruler of the Bulgarians in the second half of the 7th century and is credited with the establishment of the First Bulgarian Empire in 680/681. He is the most famous Bulgarian ruler. The accuracy of the Turkic title khan commonly applied to him and his successors is a subject of some dispute, for which see List of Bulgarian monarchs.
    The Nominalia of the Bulgarian khans states that Asparukh belonged to the Dulo clan and reigned for 61 years. This long period cannot be accepted as accurate due to chronological constraints, and may indicate the length of Asparukh's life. According to the chronology developed by Moskov, Asparukh would have reigned 668695. Other chronologies frequently end his reign in 700 or 701, but cannot be reconciled with the testimony of the Namelist.
    According to the Byzantine sources, Asparukh was as a younger son of Kubrat, who had established a spacious state ("Great Bulgaria") in the steppes of modern Ukraine. Asparukh may have gained experience in politics and statesmanship during the long reign of his father, who probably died in 665 (apud Moskov). After his father's death, Asparukh would have acknowledged the rule of his older brother Bat Bayan, but the state disintegrated under Khazar attack in 668, and he and his brothers parted ways, leading their hordes to seek a more secure home in other lands.
    Asparukh was followed by a more than 30,000 Bulgars[1]. He crossed the Danube River delta and while the Byzantine capital Constantinople was besieged by Muawiyah I, Caliph of the Arabs (674678), he and his horde settled in the so-called Ongul area in Southern Bessarabia or northern Dobrudža. After the Arab siege of Constantinople ended, the Byzantine Emperor Constantine IV marched against the Bulgars and their Slav allies in 680 and forced his opponents to seek shelter in a fortified encampment. Forced to abandon the leadership of his army in order to seek medical treatment for his ailments, the emperor sabotaged the morale of his troops, who gave in to rumours that their emperor had fled. With segments of the Byzantine army starting to desert, the Bulgars and their allies broke through the blockade and routed the enemy troops in the battle of Ongala. In 680 and then he swiftly moved from the Danubian delta down to the Balkan range.

MOD's: >>> K-MTW2 & EW MOD & BC MOD <<< BoZToRGai KHaN

Official Web Site: http://www.djeak.com/boztorgaikhan/ (Coming Soon..!!!)

Website: http://www.cumankipchaksgroup.com/ (Coming Soon..!!!)

ah, great! I'm looking forward to it.

Veliki Bolyari with the new Bulgarian shields

Jazz19's Avatar Civis

Hi.

Quick question about the Bulgarians.

At the time of the start of the Early Campaign, they had lost their independence and were a Byzantine province (from 1018 to 1186), yet they are an available faction for this campaign (which starts at 1080) with this mod.

I was thinking of a sort of compromise to brings things somewhat back to historical accuracy - why not have them start the 1080 Early Campaign as Vassals of the Byzantine Empire?

Is this even possible?

Quote Originally Posted by Jazz19 View Post
    Hi.

Quick question about the Bulgarians.

At the time of the start of the Early Campaign, they had lost their independence and were a Byzantine province (from 1018 to 1186), yet they are an available faction for this campaign (which starts at 1080) with this mod.

I was thinking of a sort of compromise to brings things somewhat back to historical accuracy - why not have them start the 1080 Early Campaign as Vassals of the Byzantine Empire?

Is this even possible?
    Actually from 1078-1080 Bulgaria was in revolt, so it isn't inaccurate.
    Under the patronage of John I Tzimisces

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast