Thread: A Strange Technical issue...

Globalhead's Avatar Civis

Default A Strange Technical issue...

I have a weird problem...I think. I have been playing RS, with patch 8 for several weeks now. I am using the BI engine and disc. Everything installed perfectly and has worked perfectly since. I am in year 242 b.c. with my Roman Campaign, fighting a delicious 3 front war on hard/hard thats really keeping me on my toes. Now for the problem...
    We had a bit of a blizzard today, high winds and heavy, wet snow (um, where's Global Warming when ya need it )...causing power to blink in and out 10-12 times, most of which while I was playing. After losing several hours of campaigning and replaying them, I was saving after every turn.
    Anyways, tried restarting after an outage...loaded fine, screens, etc... until I hit continue campaign or tried to load saved game. I would see my 242 bc Roman campaign bar start up and then CTD.
    I'm hoping someone has some thoughts before I give up and reload the game. I have no clue why it would not load now...
    Thanks...
    Dulce et decorum est pro patria mori, sed dulcius pro patria vivere, et dulcissimius pro patria bibere. Ergo, bibamus pro salute patriae.

dvk901's Avatar Consummatum est
    Patrician

Default Re: A Strange Technical issue...

If you are trying to reload a saved game, it may have gotten corrupted by all the power fluctuations. You could try loading an earlier saved game and see if that works..if you have one.

Also, power los while the computer is on can cause hard disk corruption...especially in areas where the disk was in use at the time...notibly, you're RTW folder and game.

To check and perhaps fix this (it's a good thing to do this once in a while anyway), go to 'Start' and click 'RUN'. In the rectangular box type this exactly as you see it:

chkdsk /f

Then click 'OK'

A black window will open and tell you you can't can't run that program now, because the file system is locked, and then ask if you want to run it the next time you reboot.

Type 'Y' for yes and hit 'Enter' key. The window will go away.

Now reboot your computer. As it's rebooting, a blue screen will come up ticking off the seconds, and telling you to hit any key to skip Chkdsk. DO NOTHING.

Chkdsk will then run, clean up any garbage on your hard disc and fix errors, and when it's done it will just sit there a while....you will THINK it's not doing anything, but it is in the process of fixing everything it found that was wrong.

Eventually, your computer will reboot by itself...so don't interrupt anything during this time, because if you do, Chkdsk will just KEEP running until you let it finish.

If even this doesn't fix it, then try just re-installing Roma Surrectum first. It changes so many files it may fix the problem anyway. Just don't run 'New_ui.bat' again, (or UI.bat) because you don't have to.

Your saved games should still work after this.

If all else fails...well, you know what to do. But if you have to re-install RTW itself, unistall thru add\remove programs, DELETE anything left in the directory, and then re-install. Never a good practice to install a new copy into a directory with old stuff in it.

Hope something here works....

Creator of: "Ecce, Roma Surrectum....Behold, Rome Arises!"
    R.I.P. My Beloved Father

Thanks for fast reply DVK , tried what ya said and now getting that goofy microsoft error screen about sending report...seems to be not working. I must have screwed something up gaming thru a storm...lol, tried to take advantage of a day off. I'll try reloading RS over it like ya said, otherwise will have to start over...
    Anyways, I"ll putz with it a bit more, see what happens. And thanks for the easy to follow installation/troubleshooting/help etc... for those of us who love the mod, but are a bit more challenged in the technical department...
    Dulce et decorum est pro patria mori, sed dulcius pro patria vivere, et dulcissimius pro patria bibere. Ergo, bibamus pro salute patriae.

Is it a pop up saying "said" program has encountered an error, Send report or Don't send. Cause I get those when IE won't work for some reason. I just say don't send and re-run IE and it works fine.

That happened to me once on a selucid campaign, for me i couldnt do a thing i just had to start again, it sucks

Well, gave up on it last night without any success. Got home from work today and tried it again. It seems I can start and save a new campaign now, but I still CTD when I try to load my 242 bc Roman one I was playing during storm. Guess this means I'll be starting my campaign over . This leads me to my next newb question.
    I'm thinking I may just remove all Rome files and reload everything..just in case something is screwed up...don't wanna get 40 some years into next campaign and have something go goofy on me. The problem is, when I click on roma surrectumV1 link from filefront, I just get filefront main page and can't find dl link anywhere (the patch 8 link is normal, goes right to dl page). If I am blind and missing something, or someone has a link that's free and I don't have to register for or join, any help or thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks much...

Edit : I just noticed a thread called "linky linky", which describes same issues I'm having with Roma Surrectum V1 dl link (I've tried IE and Firefox...no joy) Guess I'll keep an eye out here and on that thread...
    Last edited by Globalhead; April 12, 2007 at 06:27 PM.

dvk901's Avatar Consummatum est
    Patrician

Quote Originally Posted by Globalhead View Post
    Well, gave up on it last night without any success. Got home from work today and tried it again. It seems I can start and save a new campaign now, but I still CTD when I try to load my 242 bc Roman one I was playing during storm. Guess this means I'll be starting my campaign over . This leads me to my next newb question.
    I'm thinking I may just remove all Rome files and reload everything..just in case something is screwed up...don't wanna get 40 some years into next campaign and have something go goofy on me. The problem is, when I click on roma surrectumV1 link from filefront, I just get filefront main page and can't find dl link anywhere (the patch 8 link is normal, goes right to dl page). If I am blind and missing something, or someone has a link that's free and I don't have to register for or join, any help or thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks much...

Edit : I just noticed a thread called "linky linky", which describes same issues I'm having with Roma Surrectum V1 dl link (I've tried IE and Firefox...no joy) Guess I'll keep an eye out here and on that thread...
    Try the alternate link from Megaupload. I just tried it and it still works. I think the problem some people are having with that one is that there are two popups that apparently HAVE to pop up for the download to start. If your browser is blocking them, it won't work. Try turning off 'block popups' just for the download.

Creator of: "Ecce, Roma Surrectum....Behold, Rome Arises!"
    R.I.P. My Beloved Father