Thread: pikemen fix

Default pikemen fix

iīve been trying some variations of the pikemen fix (removing their secondary weapons) to try to make them use only their pikes, but without being overpowered (they are invincible if you just remove their swords). i think iīve found some promising things, but maybe some experienced modders could turn them into a real fix.

The only mods iīve played until now are LTC and SS, so i thought iīd leave here what iīve found, just in case king kong (great mod 3.0, btw) or any other modder wants to mess with pikemen. Iīve written 3 post in the official forums, and, as itīs a lot of writing, i thought iīd just copy them and paste them here, but i can already say that iīve made quite good progress in making spearwall what was in RTW

Post 1-> the first tests

First of all, English is not my native language, so sorry for any spelling / grammar errors.

I like pikemen, or at least iīd like the if worked as intended. In 1.2 leaked patch, they perform slightly better than before, but itīs still only some seconds before they leave their pikes and fight with swords (some people say they work OK on 1.2, iīd love to know how, but wathever).

So, I used the well known pikemen fix, that is, removing their secondary weapon. Now, pikemen are monsters that defeat anything, even when flanked or attacked from behind. Then , knowing than in MTW2 the combat stats are not the only thing that counts, why not reduce the att and def of the pikemen until they have a reasonable strenght, even without their secondary weapon?

Here are some test iīve made. I didnīt feel like unpacking, so i used the newest lands to conquer mod (for 1.2 leaked) as base

i took the spanish tecio, and gave them 0 defense (itīs extreme, but pikes are good enough defense for them) and 4 attack (itīs not like they are wielding heavy weapons, they are more defensive soldiers, and they would own in the long battles, that is, when these pikemen are involved). All the test on grassy plains, 4 vs 4 units

The results:

From the front:

Highlanders and anything below that: They get slaughtered without mercy, specially with guard mode off after the first charge

VHI, 2-Handers: They lose, but they inflict heavy casualties, howevever itīs a very long battle, the pikemen mostly contain them , with some kills now and then. I donīt mind it, pikemen are supossed to be defensive units anyway

Elite infantry (DFK, broken lances, conquistadores): itīs a long battle again, but some soldiers get past the pikes sometimes, and they get quite a few killings before dying or falling back.Win for the atackers, with maybe 25% casualties. Good results IMO.

Cavalry: They lose, and clearly. Its not like they get slaughtered in the first charge, but they lose many soldiers in it, and many more in melee. Even when charging-retreating-charging, they donīt have a chance

Missile / gunpowder: It hurts. A lot, Casuaties even with low level archers, really massacrated by elite. Add the spearwall slow speed, and you have the counter for them besides heavy shield infantry.

From behind/ flanks:

Anything below highlanders: They will lose, even when ataccking from behind. However, they are more likely to rout than to die, so high morale weak units (like militia spearmen with higher morale than they have) may do better, still needs testing

Highlanders and above: A massacre, even with their high morale, tercios fell like flies, specially against the most powerful units. They still take some time (not much), but itīs a clear win with very very few casualties

Cavalry: the lighter cavalry has some problems, but heavy and medium cavalry wins very easyly, specially when retreating- charging...

missile/ gunpowder: Didnīt test, no shield, donīt think pikes will stop bullets, so i suppose it canīt be worse than attacking from the front

This changes make tercios a powerful defensive pike unit, that still can delever some punishment, but are not overpowered as pikemen without secondary weapons are. Thereīs still a lot of room for tweaking, like delay between atacks, mass,little changes in att/def (however even poor stats, like 8/6 will make the overpowered, i thin 0-4 is a better range),morale (very important) etc, so different quality pikemen can be made. I found this version very nice, still need tweaking but it brings back the phalanx we all love without making them invincible and boring. Now that cavalry even tries to flank spearwalls, ther may be even great pikemen battles.

I leave here my two cents, just in case modders want to use some of this (iīd really like to see this kind of pikemen in dome of the modes i use, like Stainless steel (i want 3.0 aarrrghh) and LTC (i used the mod as base, remember that when i talk about 2 handers, etc)).

Really tired and with the keyboard on fire, thanks for your time

The second post-> problems

some more test. It seems that , when guard mode is off and atacked from the front, the pikemen are just too powerful, and fighting with elite HI, like armored swordmen, they will even win sometimes, inflicting heavy casualties when losing, and holdind their ground more time than expected. That is not good

However, they lose when atacking from the flanks, or when units with wider formation encircle them, so atacking them with wide lines, or with two units at the same time defeats them easier. Iīm messing with negative evading defense value, giving them something like "vulnerable to melee... if you get to them", but still not sure if itīs working, it shows like 0, not sure if it affects the real defense used in combat. I could use them in patch 1.1 and give the a shield , theyīd have negative armor then.

Anyways, it seems that they are very strong from the front, and weaker when encircled or engaged from 2 sides, even from frontright and frontleft, and that is somehing the AI should understand when atacking pikemen, and that is good.

It seems thereīs something useable about this fix, still working on it.

The third and fourth posts: Solutions and wishes

well, it looks better now, it seems that making the delay between atacks higher give the unit atacking the pikemen some time to sneak through the pikes and get some kills, seems a good way to control the effectiveness of pikes, so high qualit and bad quality pikemen are possible while using just pikes and no swords, just like in RTW

i tested 4 modified tercios against 4 armored swordmen, and even when not encircling the pikemen, more delay between atacks for tercios made it seasier for swordsmen

itīs far from perfect, but iīd really like that some experienced modder looked at the idea and say if it can be used. It would improve gameplay greatly in the latest eras, when you get elite pikemen (at least for me)

At the moment pikemen are either crappy light infantry or heavy infantry that can stop a cavalry charge, not really pikemen

Sorry for the long post, and i hope it helps

PS: Itīs not like if anybody could "apropiate" any fix to the game, but anyway, if it turns to be a good fix for pikemen, feel free to use this or any version derived of this on any mod, with or without credit, i just want my old phalanx... errr.... spearwall back

Default Re: pikemen fix

o.o, wow, good luck with all of that

+rep for me if you agree with me , i might give it right back to you

Hi eusKai,

First of all, many thanks for this detailed report!
    Actually I agree with you in general that the pikemen still don't work 100% correct. The tests you've made sound really promising.
    If you get more results or ideas, let me know them, please.
    Anyway, I'll think about fixing the pikemen somehow...

Winner of 'Favorite M2TW Mod' and 'Favorite M2TW Modder' Award 2007 & 2008

After one day out of my city looking for work, Iīve been testing this further, and iīm begining to make some conclusions:

-if you remove sec. weapon, even with crappy stats, pikemen spearwalls are very hard to defeat from the front.

-the problem is really bad when you turn guard mode off, that make them too hard to defeat (but not impossible) from the front. At least with reduced stats you can defeat the if flanked / atacked from behind.

-increasing delay between atack helps, but thereīs a limit to that before being ugly to watch and unrealistic, and it doesnīt solve the proble completely.

-the main problem seems to be the "being hit but still alive" animation of the atackers. They try to get past the pikes,they get hit, they lose time with the animation, they try to get further but they are hit again before even moving(having more than 1 row of pikemen atacking at the same time makes advancing hard). When you turn guard mode off, even the back rows of pikemen want their part of the killing, so advancing is very diffficult. Even with weak attack for pikemen, atackers get hit time after time, and remain there doing the "being hit animation" . That may be the reason why more delay between atacks helps a little, but, a i said, the problem persists.

-Modified pikemen are very weak to wider units encircling them. the atackers get some kills on the flank, then the sides of the pikemenīs front rows lose the support of the soldiers behind them (the are being killed from the side), and they are defeated more easyly. If you make wider lines of pikemen itīs more difficult to encircle the with 1 on 1 proportion of units, or doing it at the AI way (just charge on like mad), but then the spearwall is less consistent from head on infantry charges. If you can make a line of pikemen that is both wide and deep, then you have a lot of them, and itīs not strange that killing them is hard anyway. So good news at last, itīs possible to defeat them, and doing it simply mass atacking them or doing it with wide lines, and the ai use that tactics anyway.

-tried making higher the distance between pikemen soldiers, but whith guard mode off they just ignore that. They donīt look good when too far from each other too. Removing the "long pikes" trait helps a lot, but then they dont kill soldiers at the end of the pikes, but soldiers very close to the pikemen. It make them work better, but look rerally bad and they dont feel like pikemen anyway. Weaker against cavalry too, so no good idea.

Running out of ideas, but one thing is clear, if the animation on soldiers that are hit but not killed is removed or reduced, it could work, no idea of how to do it thought

Trying to help, and yearning for real pikemen, hello to everyone

PS : BTW, iīve been playing SS 3.0 for a little time, and it looks really good, when i have more time iīll have to play it more. Congratulations for the good work.

Well, i think iīve done all i can. The best iīve got is removing the swords, give the pikemen 1 att and 0 def, and slightly increase the delay between atacks. With that stats they are still moderatly powerful, and in a frontal charge you will still need something as DFK to win.

The stats can be even 0 att and 0 def, and for some reason i donīt know, with 0 att they will still get some nice kills, but the pikemen will lose the stoping power of the spearwall. Still good atacking after the charge, but inferior to the ones with 1/0 stats, more that it should be for just a change of 1.

Against cavalry and arrows, as expected, very strong against cav, and very weak against bows.Much more vulnerable to melee from back/flanks too, and moderately weak against encircling/ being atacked from diagonal front, etc... (quasi-flanking)

From now on, i think iīll leave further tweaking to more experienced modders, if thereīs anyones interested.

Trying to help, and hoping for better pikemen, hello to all

Hi Euskai,

I really appreciate your efforts to improve the pikemen and you can be sure that I'm very interested in your ideas!
    A big thanks for that!
    Tomorrow I'm writing my last test for this semester (hurray!) and next week I'll have time make some extensive tests regarding the pikemen and also other units.

I'll give you feedback as soon as I have finished some tests...

Thanks for four interest, King.

Worst of all is that with some micromanagement the normal pikemen perform a little better, not perfect, but at least something better. It seems like if CA could have fixed them in the patch without any effort, but they seem to have forgotten about them. Luckily there are some great modders to fix the problems, tweak the game into (almost) perfection and even add some ideas of their own, too.

If you need some testing or more detailed explanations about what iīve done, feel free to ask, iīll be glad to help in what i can.

And good luck with your test!!!
    Last edited by eusKai; April 26, 2007 at 08:42 AM.

I have also tried this with the french voulgiers, and it makes them much more powerful. I have not tried it with other halberd units.

Hi euskai,

I'll let you know when I need some more details.
    And good luck with your test!!!
    Thanks!

Hi Cavalier,

Thanks for the note!
    Well, hopefully not too powerful... But we'll see...