Thread: Europa Universalis III - Worth it?

Default Europa Universalis III - Worth it?

Is it worth to spend 50€ with it?
    "God forbid that I should go to any Heaven where there are no horses" - R.B. Cunningham-Graham

ashbery76's Avatar Biarchus

Default Re: Europa Universalis III

It's great but has a big learning curve.Think MTW2 campaign x10.Check out the EU3 AAR's on the Paradox forums.

What do you mean by big learning curve?
    "God forbid that I should go to any Heaven where there are no horses" - R.B. Cunningham-Graham

The Mongol's Avatar Primicerius

It means it takes a long time to learn and get to know all the features of the game so it can be overwhelming at first.

Is it that difficult to learn? I'm going to get my time cut off imensily for the next months, dunno if I have time to dispense for a game like EU3. How much time does the average player take to learn the basics?

John I Tzimisces's Avatar Get born again.

Moved to...the brilliantly placed EU subforum

Semisalis

Default Re: Europa Universalis III - Worth it?

Quote Originally Posted by Eqcards View Post
    Is it worth to spend 50€ with it?
    Hell yes! I'm skipping (most of) my time between M2TW, EU3, my work and this forum (in that order).

EU3 is great. Its epic, runs smoothly and never gets boring. Read sites like gamespy for the official review, they are not that far off. Have fun!

Savage_Swede's Avatar Carolus Rex

It is definitely worth it. And the learning curve is not really that steep at all. I learned it quickly enough without any earlier experience with EU games.

Sig by Lord Rahl
    Under the patronage of Obi Wan Asterix

Europa Barbarorum, what RTW should have been.

Civitate

The learning curve isn't really that steep. Probably the least of any Paradox games.
    Under patronage of: Wilpuri

Yeah, agree. I had a much harder time to learn Hears of Iron than this.

And of course it's worth it, if you like strategy it's really hard to get tired of this.
    We march, march, march
    we fight, fight, fight
    we die, die, die
    we rule!!!

I just got it a couple days ago and I'm loving it (this is my first EU game). I haven't touched the TW series in a couple of months. I'm just so sick of the brain-dead AI of TW.

So far, the AI in EU3 doesn't seem brain dead at all. To be sure, they react so intrecately to your own actions. There is also ALOT more detail in the diplomacy (where being a good neighbor ACTUALLY pays off!).

Sorry, I don't mean to bash TW (I've loved it since STW) but EU3 is an awesome breath of fresh air!
    Faithfully under the patronage of the fallen yet rather amiable Octavian.

Smile! The better the energy you put in, the better the energy you will get out.

Seleucus I Nicator's Avatar Campidoctor

In my opinion it is definately worth purchasing.

I got it today and started a campaign as Poland. I immediately went to war with Mazovia, and turned them into vassals after utterly defeating their army. It is truely great how one actually can have vassals in this game. In the Total War games one would have to give an AI faction 100.000+ florins - sometimes way more - to turn them into a vassal, even though they are at the brink of death (that's from my experience anyways).

Now the Teutonic Order attacked my vassal Mazovia. I responded by going to war to protect my vassal. But the Teutons had the Pommeranians and Rigans as their allies, so I and Lithuania, which is in a union with Poland, now had to fight those three factions. I eventually won against the Teutons, and had them give me the provinces of Warmia, Danzig and Memel and two provinces I can't recall the names of to Lithuania.

Meanwhile, in the east Moscowy had decided to strike against my union buddy Lithuania. They fought a costy war against Moscow there and lost many provinces. But I was at this time busy with Pommerania, which I fought for a couple of years until I manage to turn them into vassals and have them cede Vorpommern to me. As a result of the Teutons and Pommeranians surrender, the Rigans gave up too.

With all of my resources available to focus against Moscow, I formed a 16.000 man strong army consisting of primarily regular troops, but also mercenaries. I sent it to the east and fought Moscow in several battles. Neither side seemed to be able getting the upper hand, and the war was getting drawn out and bloody. On both sides there were several rebellions occuring. The war ended when Lithuania made peace with Moscow, and neither side gave up any territory.

I thought I now would quell numerous rebellions that had occured in my lands, but now a coalition of the Ottomans, Crimeans and Kazans attacked me and Lithuania. The Crimeans I fought in the south of Poland in countless battles over a province (Polonia I think), the Kazans struck deep into Lithuanian lands, and the Ottomans had - to my surprise - sent a navy all the way from their seas into the Baltic, and now they had laid siege to Vorpommern and Memel.

Me and Lithuania managed to make peace with the Kazans without giving them any territory, but I had to give Polonia to the Crimeans and Vorpommern to the Turks.