Thread: New Islamic Buildings?

Default New Islamic Buildings?

I was thinking how some of the Islamic exclusive structures were sort of limited. I was thinking maybe some factions (Sultanate of Rum/Ottomans, Abbasiads, Egypt) could have faction-specific mosques as a higher teir religious building. They could be very expensive and time-consuming to build, but add some great bonuses. Also, I'm curious, is Mecca on the campaign map? Maybe you can add some building exclusive to Mecca (The Kaaba) that gives economic bonuses (due to pilgramages) to whoever controls it. Another similar building could be in Jerusalem (Dome of Rock?).

Anyway, what I'm trying to say is, the ability to build specific buildings in settlements would add a lot of immersion to the mod. What do you think?

Indefinitely Banned

Default Re: New Islamic Buildings?

If we can get a dedicated modeller to make new building models and layouts for us then that would be great . Otherwise I'm not even gonna touch this area until more help is available, its simply something I never had or have any intention of getting into.

I will probably add new "building" that will appear in or as buildable in a settlement, but won't actually appear on the battlemap. Just will have an icon, info and camp map effects.

That would be fine. I could help finding/making icons for buildings if you want any help. There's no need to putting the Dome of Rock or the Hagia Sophia as a graphic in the battlemap, while cool, isn't all that neccesary. Just having the buildings and the option to build them would add oodles of depth.

Indefinitely Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Hissing Fauna View Post
    That would be fine. I could help finding/making icons for buildings if you want any help. There's no need to putting the Dome of Rock or the Hagia Sophia as a graphic in the battlemap, while cool, isn't all that neccesary. Just having the buildings and the option to build them would add oodles of depth.
    Oh, if you meant just building them on the strat map then yeah. You're right. I would really like to expand the buildings list and add unique non destroyable ones like the dome of rock or the hagia sofia.

Do you want me to look into some specific buildings built, or already built at that time? I could also look for some buildings that were common to most cities that aren't included in the game currently.

Indefinitely Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Hissing Fauna View Post
    Do you want me to look into some specific buildings built, or already built at that time? I could also look for some buildings that were common to most cities that aren't included in the game currently.
    Sure, general and unique buildings. Go for it. Its doable, so I'm all up for it.

Hagia Sophia, Constaninople: We could use that picture as a base for the icon.

Effects: Well, obviously, there should be some bonuses for Chrstianty conversion in the region. Would + 30% be too much? Maybe it could reduce building costs a little bit (due to the speed with which it was built and the engineering skills used)

Dome of the Rock, Jerusalem

Effect: Again, a lagre conversion bonus for Islam. Due to pilgramages to the Dome of Rock, it could give an economic bonus. (Are we able to add economic factors? Maybe we could add pilgramage as its own independet source of income).

Church of the Holy Sepulchre, Jerusalem

Similar effect as Dome of Rock, only maybe a larger economic bonus, considering it is the holiest city of Christianity?

Kaaba

Effect:

Same as the Dome of Rock, only larger economic bonus? (Considering Mecca is the holiest city of Islam).

Obviously there are a lot more buildings, buts thats all I have time for right now. I'll focus on Egypt and Syria next time I get the chance.
    Last edited by Hissing Fauna; April 08, 2007 at 06:59 PM.

Centenarius

there are the pyramidis, i dont know what bonuses they can give, but it will be very cool
    though the pyramids were there long before the mods time period

The Abbasid era is considered the golden age of the Muslim civilizations. Lots of scientific discoveries going around and translations from other langauges.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/House_of_Wisdom

There was a house of wisdom where scholars did scholarly things.

In the Abbasid Empire, scholars translated many foreign works into Arabic and Persian , built large libraries, and welcomed scholars persecuted by the Byzantine Empire [1]. There was an imperial library in Ctesiphon, and works were also translated at the Academy of Gundishapur. During the Islamic conquest of Persia and the Fall of Sassanid dynasty in 651, many works were lost, burnt by the invaders.
    In 750, the Abbasid dynasty replaced the Umayyad dynasty as head of the Islamic empire, and in 762, the caliph al-Mansur (reigned 754 - 775) built Baghdad and made it his capital (the previous capital being Damascus). The Abbasid dynasty had a strong Persian bent, and adopted many practices from the Sassanid empire - among those, that of translating foreign works, except that now works were translated into Arabic. For this purpose, al-Mansur founded a palace library, modeled after the Sassanid Imperial Library. (The name Bayt al-Hikma was a translation of the Persian name for the imperial library, which Arab historians also referred to in that name.)
    The House of Wisdom was originally concerned with translating and preserving Persian works, first from Pahlavi (Middle Persian), then from Syriac and eventually Greek.
    Works on astrology, mathematics, agriculture, medicine, and philosophy were thus translated.
    The Barmakids were influential in the ensuing movement of restoring and preserving Persian culture. They are also credited with the founding of the first paper mill in Baghdad. The secret of papermaking had been obtained from Chinese prisoners taken at the Battle of Talas (751). Previously, copyists would used papyrus (which is fragile) or parchment (which is expensive). The introduction of paper thus facilitated the multiplication of books and libraries.
    You can make that sort of building. Basically, a royal library.

NaptownKnight's Avatar Praeses

Is it possible to add wonders back into the game? I think that would be better suited for unique buildings like the Haiga Sophia.

The Mongol's Avatar Primicerius

Man, wonders were sweet in RTW.

I'd love to see them back if possible, it's not a big deal but I just love fighting for them. Nothing like fighting on the battlemap and seeing the Colossus of Rhodes.

hehe..... india would have tons given the religious diversity (even within the hindus) want me to go crazy?
    lol, no, but one thing of wonder would be the Ghorids (after taking delhi) built the Qutb Minar over there:
    Qutub Minar [قطب منار] is the tallest brick minaret in the world [72.5 metres high]. The tower is in the Qutb complex in South Delhi.
    bibliography: the 'urdu writing' was ripped off of wikipedia .

cheers
    - indian_boy