Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Pictoral Renaissance era sources

Default Pictoral Renaissance era sources

Does anyone have any good images showing renaissance era soldiers, especially colour images, the woodblock prints are nice but it's annoying that they have no colour, especially if you want them a sources for skinning. I was planning on doing a few landsknecht/swiss models and somw new weapons (halberds mostly), just to get some practice and such.
    Any help is appreciated.

Tiro

Default Re: Pictoral Renaissance era sources

Landsknecht armour with stormhelmet
    http://www.viaarmorari.com/bilder/14...dsknecht/2.jpg
    http://www.viaarmorari.com/bilder/14...dsknecht/3.jpg
    http://www.viaarmorari.com/bilder/14...dsknecht/1.jpg
    Hope it helps

BTW: this is not the fully developed Landsknecht armour - the fully developed had armour on the left arm and a kind of gorgett.
    Last edited by Hrimfar; April 08, 2007 at 03:02 AM.

Hey thanks, very useful + rep.

I am having difficulty uploading two pictures depicting the battle of Pavia. It just doesn't seem to work. I think I may have to send them to you via MSN Messenger. PM me your address and I'll get them to you right away.
    Last edited by TWoxy; April 11, 2007 at 05:07 PM.

Poland at war

landskechts(cant spell it)

DrIstvaan's Avatar Artifex

Almost perfect spelling, Arfrisco! It's just that they're landsknechts (you missed one "n").
    Hamish, you could post here some pictures of unique Scottish troops, so that there can be something unique made for the Scots with the model editor.

You may want to take a look at my small mod, Like Orange in Black Chocolate.
    Under the patronage of Silver Guard

I was so close! if only i knew my "N's" better!

Spanish soldiers c.1630
    they arent pics but they are accurate. they are from a tv show about a battle in 1630.

spanish soldiers late 16th century(got it from a site that said spanish people are the enemies of saint george-but hey, they are accurate)

more spanish

spanish Heruellos-mounted arquebushiers c. mid 16th century

left-corazza lanza calvaryman(note how he is armoured) c.mid 17th century
    right- mounted arquebusier(more modern then first) c. mid 17th century(i doubt they were still armed with arquebuses cause they had matchlock by then)

spanish "imperial gun" c. late 16th century

spanish infantry no date but probably early 16th century(do to crossbow)

These are great, keep 'em coming guys. Also, a quick question, should we get a different noise for muskets/arqebuses, the current one is waaaay off what they sounded like, it's far too deep and booming, they were more of a snap noise, like these:

this one is different from the other one, don't worry, it's not just my bad Ctrl+C Ctrl+V skills.

french american soldier c.early 17th century(he is armoured like a pikeman but armed with a gun, something that appears to be unique to the americas)

french musketeers c. early 17th century

french corssbowman c. mid 16th century

french soldiers c.early 16th century

not much on french calvary but heres some dragoons, i dont know the time

i think ive been doing too much! well, ill do more then.

portuguese archers and crossbowmen c.early 16th century(note: archers were popular among sailors in the americas cause you could quickly load and fire a bow while a gun takes a while)

portuguese soldiers but dont no time

Portuguese soldiers c.late 17th century

Are there any plans for a marine-type unit, something recruitable from dockyards, a sort of light infanty, capable in both ranged and close combat? Could be a good addition, well to the main naval powers at least.

sounds good especially for portugal. the picture of a portuguese archer is what their marines looked like in the new world.

english soldiers c.mid 17th century

english musketeers c.mid 17th century

english artillery c.mid 17th century

english pikemn mid 17th century

english curassier(cant spell it) c.mid 17th century

english musketeers c.reign of henry VIII

soldiers from henry VIII's army

Beautifull drawing of an Landsknecht 1530:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...familjebok.png

And at the end of this very interresting Book about Landsknechte, you´ll find a millon drawings(black and white though) of Landsknechte and very interresting explanations of their Weapons.
    It´s all in German, so if you want something translated, just ask me.
    http://antivir.webgate/2078216194/co...?file=0285.pdf

An excellent painting of two Lansknechts locked in a struggle (one from the black band) at Pavia. Imperialist Landsknechts fought against the Landsknechts in French employ at Pavia. The second painting is an overall painting of Pavia, and a good one at that. They'll need resizing though; to upload them I had to compress them via Microsoft Picture Manager.
    Last edited by TWoxy; June 16, 2007 at 09:10 AM.

I recently got the osprey book on landsknechts, it's quite good, pleny of woodcuts and plates, also a bit more info on background and such for them, which could be used to write the unit info for them.

They should be recruitable as mercs in germany and AOR W+S germany and, in eastern france, we can have the black band. I was planning 3-4 types, Landsknecht (unarmoured, pike and katzbalger), Döppelsoldner mit halberd (heavily armoured shock unit with halberd, good vs cavalry and armour), Döppelsoldner mit Zweihander (heavily armoured shock unit with 2 handed-sword, good vs infantry, powerful attack instead of ap).

There'd be mercs, black-band and Imperial variations. Imperial and Mercs using the same skin (random uniforms), black band will have black doublets, hose and armour, the shirt/under hose puffed through them will vary in colour.

I had a little success on the modelling front with them, I've been busy recently and haven't done much at all. Although I've added 3 more sets of legs, they are all the same at the moment. I've also seperated the left leg from the right leg and cod-peice, so I should be able to give them different leg-sets now, so they can now have an asymetric appearance. I will add some sets of tights too, I will not, however, add naked legs and buttocks, even though some used to fight like that because it gave them "more maneuverability" w/e .

Don´t wanna complain but it´s Doppelsöldner, not the other way around :p
    Hellebarde instead of Halberd and Zweihänder.

BTW i really like the idea of the diffrent Landsknecht Types.
    If you got questions on german writing or spelling just PM me.

kuang are you german? if you are maybe you can help with german history. i dont think we have a german historian.

Hamish, you could post here some pictures of unique Scottish troops, so that there can be something unique made for the Scots with the model editor.
    This is roughly the style of Highland Dress that was being worn at this time ...

I'll get you more pics soon ...

DrIstvaan's Avatar Artifex

@arfrisco
    Yes, Kuang stated in the Swiss thread being German. So, Kuang, arfrisco is right, if you wish, you could be a German area-specific historian.

You may want to take a look at my small mod, Like Orange in Black Chocolate.
    Under the patronage of Silver Guard

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast