Thread: Gunpowder

The Mongol's Avatar Primicerius

Default Gunpowder

Kinda just popped up in my head but are we going to see any gunpowder units? The campaign spans far enough to include it right?

It'd be interesting.

Indefinitely Banned

Default Re: Gunpowder

Yeah we will. But we're not really working on anything new for now. Perhaps some of you guys have ideas?

The Mongol's Avatar Primicerius

I don't know alot but I'll look around, even if we kept the default gunners but reskinned or something that'd be awesome.

Indefinitely Banned

Gunpowder warfare really took off around the time of the Timurids and after. The thing is by that time all the core factions had been wiped out by the mongols. So we'll have to get creative. Seljuks and Abbasids will get shafted in the late era. While the Ghorids, Khwarezm and Ghazni will get cannons and maybe even monster bombards to represent their transformation into the Mughal and Safavid dynasties.

Hmmm... I think if you go down that road, shafting factions that didn't get gunpowder and other advanced weaponary, then it might make the end game more boring than it should be. TW is all about changing history, so maybe you should give gunpowder units to factions that didn't history use them. But you should make them really expensive and hard to train, so that factions that are very weak or poor at that point wouldn't be able to get thier hands on gunpowder weapons (as was the case for the Byzantine Empire)

Just my two cents on the issue.

Indefinitely Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Hissing Fauna View Post
    Hmmm... I think if you go down that road, shafting factions that didn't get gunpowder and other advanced weaponary, then it might make the end game more boring than it should be. TW is all about changing history, so maybe you should give gunpowder units to factions that didn't history use them. But you should make them really expensive and hard to train, so that factions that are very weak or poor at that point wouldn't be able to get thier hands on gunpowder weapons (as was the case for the Byzantine Empire)

Just my two cents on the issue.
    Good points. I will reconsider shafting any factions. Who knows maybe just make gunpowder and equal thing for all factions and see what happens.

What about the wonders that is the guild system?

Just as it would represent the arrival of tribes like the Cumans or a turkish tribe, it could represent the arrival and development of gunpowder weaponry. Thus, it can be reliant upon certain aspects, hopefully we can make it specific to recruiting certain units, getting certain ancillaries and traits, and building certain buildings. Those that historically had access to it would be those that have a greater possibility of acquiring it, but it wouldn't be impossible for others to get it too.

So for example, with the arrival of the mongols, perhaps one of your generals in India or Central Asia could get an ancillary that's a Chinese alchemist, giving you a large amount of points towards the offer of a gunpowder guild hall. Building silk road buildings also increase your changes.

The caveat is that it would probably be so that you could only recruit gunpowder units from that place, but it'd be an acceptable loss when the alternative would be to simply provide a blanket roster of gunpowder units. This way, there's still the element of uncertainty and historical change in what factions get it.

I think if you go down that road, shafting factions that didn't get gunpowder and other advanced weaponary, then it might make the end game more boring than it should be.
    With a 100% new map, over a hundred totally new units, and a new AoR systems, you'll have no excuse for getting bored.

Cheers
    "I don't want to sit around Windsor because ermm .. I just generally don't like England that much" - Prince Harry, 3rd in Line for the British Thrown

For King or Country - The English civil wars.

When were the handcannons and such featured?

I saw a really cool looking Egyptian rifleman, but it's for the 1500s.

If they were using handcannons and such in the 1300s + early 1400s, we could fib it and arm them with a handcannon, but well, when did such hand weapons start getting used? A quick wiki said they only really got used in the mid to late 1400s, which is too bad.
    Last edited by Ahiga; April 09, 2007 at 09:09 PM.