Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rise of Rome (RP Sign-up)

Eric's Avatar Praepositus

Default Rise of Rome (RP Sign-up)

This is an RP. It is set in Europe, 270 years before the Birth of Christ. You can either create and lead your own faction to glory, or choose a preexisting country and take the position of some of history's greatest generals and politicians, from Alexander to Phyrrus to Hannibal Barca to Scipio Africanus, to great Julius Caesar himself.

Rules
    I: Godmodding of any kind will be punished
    II: No you cannot reduce a city to nothing but ash. You can however completely depopulate it
    III: Important leaders will not be killed without permission of the faction's player. Average generals and soldiers can be slaughtered in great amounts though
    IV: Keep armies within realistic size for the time period. 250,000 men would be the upper limit. Reasonable sizes for average armies would range from 30,000-75,000 men.
    V: Realistic technology for Hellenistic times (no guns, no crossbows, etc. Repeating Ballista or Polybolos will eventually be allowed, but in small numbers)

Historical accuracy is encouraged, but we will try to keep things nice and relaxed. You don't need excessive knowledge of antiquity to play the game. Like you will notice in the list of factions, and in my nation information, i've modified some historical facts to play better into gameplay.

On that note, the game will be a story-based RP. In otherwords, we basically take turns (i.e: no double-posting) posting what is going on in our empires, as if it was some sort of book. Like this small excerpt

Marius' ears were sore from the roaring sound of the marching. A deep sound, like rolling thunder. This was the sound of 60,000 Romans marching towards immortal battle and conquest. Their enemies were the vile, baby-eating, barbaric Carthaginian elephant-riders. The battle would be glorious, and Marius would win his place in history as a courageous centurion in the Principes line of the quincunx. Loot and fame would be his. But first there was a battle ahead. A battle he would have to win at the point of the gladius. The ram had touched the wall, there would be no quarter given to the Carthaginians.

Grammar is also encouraged, as it just makes posts easier to read and understand.

If you wish to control or create a nation, please sign-up with this form:
    Nation Name:
    Head of State:
    Region:
    Infantry:
    Cavalry:
    Ranged:
    Siege Weapons:
    Navy:

Here is a political map for the game. I will list which nation corresponds to which colour on the map and where they are. Credit is due to the RTR team for the map.

Premade Factions
    -The Republic of Rome (already played by me, Red, Central Italy of course)

Hellenistic Kingdoms
    -Ptolemaic Egypt (gold, Egypt, Israel and eastern Africa)
    -Seleucid Empire (light grey, most of Asia Minor)
    -Kingdom of Pontus (light blue, north of Seleucids)
    -Antigonid Macedon (dark grey, some of Greece)
    -Carthaginian Empire (very light grey, North Africa)
    -League of Greek Cities (pale yellow, the rest of Greece a little bit of southern Italy)

Eastern Nations
    -Armenia (turquoise, East of Pontus)
    -Kingdom of Parthia (purple, south of Caspian Sea)
    -Numidia (blue-grey, south of Carthage)
    -Sarmatian Confederacy (orange, north-east of Dacia, sort of south Russia)

Barbarian Tribes
    -Germanic Confederation (dark purple, northern Germany and southern Scandinavia)
    -Gallic Tribes (dark green, located in France)
    -Kingdom of Dacia (brown, north of Macedon)
    -Iberian Tribes (yellow-brown, most Spain)

Anyways, that's where all the factions are. The rest of the map is up for grabs by player-made factions. Since I am playing the Republic of Rome, i'll post my nation profile.

Nation Name: The Republic of Rome
    Head of State: Marcus Quintus Maximus
    Region: Central Italy
    Infantry Units:

Principes

Triarii (soldiers with Spears in picture)

Hastati (soldier on the far right with sword)

Cavalry:

Equites

Ranged:

Archer Auxilaries

Velites (soldier with javelin, wolf-pelt and round shield in picture)

Siege Weapons:

Onager

Ballista

Navy:

Quinquereme
    Better to stand under the Crown than to kneel under a Flag

Life is fleeting, but glory lives forever! Conquer new lands, rule over the seas, build an empire! World Alliances

Scarecrow's Avatar Ducenarius

Default Re: Rise of Rome (RP Sign-up)

Nation Name: Sparta
    Head of State:Leonidas of Sparta
    Region: Sparta
    Infantry: Spartan Royal Gaurd, Hoplite
    Cavalry:500 greeks cavalry
    Ranged:Spartan Royal Gaurd
    Siege Weapons: Cataplut
    Navy: Quinqereme
    Ok I am the Spartan City-State now
    Madness? THIS IS SPARTA!
    Last edited by Scarecrow; April 07, 2007 at 02:04 PM.
    Legate to the Legio I Latina
    Grand Master of the Order of New Templar's

Yes made up. But not quite... accurate. A little work and it'd be great though. Maybe replace red raiders with... ummm... Rutilus Incursio. Yes, the latin for red raiders. Also, since you're in the North, kinda barbarian lands, i'd suggest you replace the legions with some sort of warband-type unit. Maybe some beserker-like units for a heavy assault. Maybe primitive catapults instead of onagers. And perhaps longboats, like viking style, instead of quinqueremes. A few little changes and it'd be great.

Life is fleeting, but glory lives forever! Conquer new lands, rule over the seas, build an empire! World Alliances

Feliks's Avatar Ω
    Deep Space Nine, Habitat Ring Two, Section 4

I think I might sign up as one of the Gallic tribes in Northern Italy, though I think need to do a bit of background research before I fill out a form. Do you know any good sites for that kind of information?
    Last edited by Feliks; April 06, 2007 at 10:46 AM.

Former Science Reporter for the Helios
    Under the benevolent patronage of
    Annaeus.

Nation Name: The Reniam Empire

Head of State: Emperor Luckos

Region: Massagetes

Infantry: Renigasares (super elite); Persian Hoplite Spearmen; Caspian Hoplites; Bactrian Swordsmen; Persian spear militia; peasents

Cavalry: Reniam Katrackpoi; Armoured Persian Cavalry;
    Persian Cavalry; Desert Raiders

Ranged (cavalry): Reniam Horse archers; Armoured Horse archers; Horse archers

Ranged (infantry): Reniam Foot Archers; Desert Archers; Bactrian Javelinmen; Skirmishers

Siege Weapons: Onagers, Heavy onagers

Navy: Bireme, Trireme, Quinquereme

Note: Although they start in Massagetes region, their capital it's not in Campus Massagetes. Their capital is located in the river located south-west of the settlement and it's called Reniam.

Oh! I almost forgot. They are budists.

Feliks's Avatar Ω
    Deep Space Nine, Habitat Ring Two, Section 4

Nation Name: The Insubres
    Head of State: Viridomarus (a bit too early for him I know)
    Region: Mediolandium
    Infantry: Poorly Organized War-bands with a wide assortment of crude weapons, some berserker-like shock troops.
    Calvary: Poorly-Mounted Gallic Light Calvary, some more prominent nobles and their body guards make up heavier calvary
    Ranged: Slingers
    Siege: Crude Onagers
    Navy: Small oar-powered boats only fit for calm coastal waters and rivers

Former Science Reporter for the Helios
    Under the benevolent patronage of
    Annaeus.

Nation Name: The Ilegreti
    Head of State: Luxco the Feared
    Region: Narbo
    Infantry: Laeitani Spearman, Devotio Warriors, Atanagrusken (light spearman).
    Cavalry: Abiner (Skirmisher), Niosisker (nobleman).
    Ranged: Karsken (Slingers), Archers
    Siege Weapons: Onager, Ballista
    Navy: Bireme, Trimere

Yes, made up, thanks for http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=83840
    Last edited by Erax; April 07, 2007 at 01:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Garbarsardar View Post
    BTW, ferrets54, you are a pedophile.

We just need a few more key players. Influential factions like Greece, Macedon, Carthage, etc.

Igot sparta covered.

Nation Name: macedon
    Head of State: alexander the great
    Region: macedon
    Infantry: Pezhetairoi,Argyraspidai,Hysteroi Pezhetairoi ,Hypaspistai
    Cavalry: Companion Cavalry,Thessalian Cavalry
    Ranged: Cretan Archers
    siege Weapons: Onager, Ballista
    Navy: Bireme, Trimere

Okay cool, but since this is 270BC you can't have Alexander as head of state. You could always do some kinda compromise with Alexander IV or something. Afterall, the Alexander that we know was the third to bear that name.

so i would be like Leonidas the second?
    -Scarecrow

Dunecat's Avatar Praefectus

I would be interested in joining, but this would be my first RPG of this type. Usually I've only done the DnD types before.

Could I be a somewhat minor faction? This could take a little getting used to... And I don't want to ruin the game for anyone else, so it's best to give me as little power as possible.

The Good's Avatar the Bad and the Ugly

This roleplay looks interesting, may I join? I will show my stats below:

Nation Name: Kingdom of Illyria
    Head of State: Lucius "Dalmatius" Julius
    Regions: Dalmatia, Illyria, Moesia, Skhodra
    Infantry: Illyrian Warband, Light Hoplites, Heavy Hoplites, Illyrian Swordsmen
    Cavalry: Illyrian Light Calvalry, Illyrian Heavy Cavalry
    Ranged: Illyrian Light Javelinmen, Illyrian Heavy Javelinmen, Illyrian Slingers
    Siege Weapons: Balistae, Battering Rams, Sapping Points
    Navy: Bireme (Like everyone else), Trireme, and Liburnian Pirate Ship (Illyrian Unique Naval Unit)

Here is the story so far:

King Lucius "Dalmatius" Julius was born of a wealthy Roman Father from the noble Julii family, and of a Mother from Illyrian Nobility. Lucius was born in 300 BC, on the Dalmatian coast, his Father moved there from Roma before Lucius was born. At the age of 20, Lucius took control of the Kingdom of Illyria when the Illyrian King had died, he had no sons, and the only heir was Lucius Dalmatius Julius.

After about 10 years of rule, Lucius raised a sizeable army, about 25,000 men strong. Lucius had ambitions to take the region of Histria, on the north western border. As Lucius marched, he hired two units of Illyrian Mercenaries, he amounted to a total of 26,000 men in his army now because of that recruitment.

As Lucius was about a mile away from the town of Aquileia, he could already see their army responding to their new threat. Apparently, while Lucius' Illyrian army marched in the morning, a scout saw the army coming, and immediately notified his ruler, King Lucco. The Histrian King then ordered his spearmen up front, fortunatly for the Illyrian army, they knew how to form a Phalanx formation, and they had superior cavalry. Lucius ordered his Light Hoplites up front, and the Javelinmen directly behind the Hoplites. Then Lucius ordered his cavalry units to walk off to the right of all the army.

Lucius followed his cavalry for a while, then ordered them to flank the enemy Javelinmen. And they succeeded, taking little losses, just about only five Illyrian cavalrymen died, and the Javelinmen panicked.

The rest of the enemies were focused entirely on the Illyrian Hoplites, they put up a great fight, but decided that retreating to their town was necessary. Lucius was joyed by this, and pursued the enemy spearmen with his Bodyguard unit and Light Cavalry. Only about five hundred Histrians were able to reach the town gates, including their King, who was terrified of the might of Illyria's army.

The King of Histria then said to his men, "Noble warriors, if we keep up our poor performance, the Illyrians will conquer us for sure, and I will be executed. Do your best, look at the faces of your family members one last time around this town, they may be put to the sword once Illyria conquers our town. I will not stand for that, and neither should you. Do not dissapoint me and Aquileia!" At that, all of the Histrians cheered at such an extraordinary speech, their morale has certainly raised now, but morale alone cannot win a battle....

"Men, I request for two battering rams to be built, for tomorrow, we will besiege the town of Aquileia! This will be a glorious moment in our histories, another of our rivals will be defeated!" After King Lucius finished his speech, the Illyrians set to work on the battering rams. First, Lucius sent 100 men into a forest, and they hauled logs into a clearing near Aquileia. The logs were then put into place, and by midnight, the engineers had finished work on building the rams.

"King Lucius, work on the rams are done now, when shall we begin the siege, sire?"

"At dawn, my obedient servant, is when the battle begins."

It was dawn, the next day, Lucius ordered all of his men to pack their tents and gather their weapons, for it was time to besiege Aquileia.

"Place the rams in front of the army, and have 50 soldiers to each ram!" Shouted King Lucius.

"Aye sire, it shall be done." Said a unit Officer.

By the time the rams reached the gate, about 20 men have died from enemy javelin fire. Then the men started ramming the gates, one ram was on the north side of the walls, the other at the south. Lucius had ordered the army to devide themselves into two groups, one south, and one north. He also had a general command the southern army.

When the wooded gates were finally battered, men from both sides of the town stormed the city, charging at the enemy army from both sides. King Lucco's army was in dire jepardy, they were doomed, but nevertheless, they fought to the death with honour.

After the Histrian army was about 100 men strong, King Lucco fought more furiously then ever, he was in a blood thirsty rage. The Histrian King defeated about 12 more men before finally dying, he was killed by an Illyrian Swordsman.

The remaining Histrian army decided to drop their weapons, and the Illyrian army took notice of that.

King Lucius then replied, "You wish to surrender now? Is your defence over already? Because of your decisions to stop fighting, I will spare you all, even the citizens of this town. Go back to what ever trade you worked before this battle, for we are the rulers of Aquileia now! I demand that you all leave your spears and swords there as proof you have stopped fighting" After that, the soldiers of Aquileia then returned to their homes, telling their family members what had taken place. The town of Aquileia and the whole province of Histria was now Illyrian.

Illyria suffered a total of 2137 casualties,
    Histria suffered a total of 3204 casualties.

Well, that was my first battle!

Axeman's Avatar Praepositus

Ill join

Nation Name:Carthage
    Head of State:Vegvisgus*want to totaly revamp everything*
    Region:Carthage itself, the western edge of sicly, Sardina, Corsica, the Bacleric Islands, and the strait of Herculeium*Gibralltir*
    Infantry:Good Phallanx Infantry, with excelent spearmen and heavy infantry
    Cavalry: Swift powerful shock cavlary, lacks heavy mele capable cavalary, also uses elephants
    Ranged: Mostly light archers and slingers, also uses lots of Javelins for heavy infantry troops
    Siege Weapons:The Bastilla and Oranger
    Navy: Excellent navy- has large light manuverable warships that are juggernauts, the equivalent to elephants on water

Other-carthage is very rich, so it can afford to supplement its armies with mercenaries from Numidia to the south and the Spanish tribes to the west

☻/ This is Muhammad.
    /▌  Copy and paste him
    / \ so as to commit horrible blasphemy!
    If there were a God, I think it very unlikely that he would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt his existence. --Bertrand Russell

Paul d's Avatar Praepositus

nevermind
    Last edited by Paul d; May 29, 2007 at 05:42 PM. Reason: nevermind

Nation Name: Aquitaine, near the border of Hispania, and the Pyrenees.
    Head of State: Constantii Falconius, King of Aquitaine.

Region: Aquitaine, Southwestern Francia. Capital city is Toulouse.
    Infantry: Veteran Roman legionares, Francisca throwing barbarians; Axe wielding fanatics.
    Cavalry: Household troops of Frankish nobles, light barbarian cavalry.
    Ranged: Javelin men, and barbarian archers.
    Siege Weapons: Ladders, battering rams and catapults.
    Navy: Biremes, and small river boats.
    Legionaries
    http://www.warhammer-historical.com/...ges/romans.gif
    http://www.gallica.co.uk/romans/legionary/Image1.gif
    Barbarian Infantry
    http://home.exetel.com.au/manxman/Ce.../La%20Tene.jpg
    http://www.osterholm.info/vikings/Varangian.gif
    Barbarian Cavalry
    http://strategicsimulations.net/cata.../SSHAT8085.jpg
    Household Cavalry
    http://www.culturalresources.com/ima...ulWarriors.jpg
    Archers
    http://www.bbay.com/store/images/albert/Archers_TN.jpg
    Skirmishers
    http://www.modelling.ru/images/italeri/6048.jpg

Catapult
    http://www.trebuchet.com/video/impossible/v0.jpg
    Battering Ram
    http://www.theevidence.org.uk/library/accurate4_4.gif
    Siege ladder
    http://vnmedia.ign.com/mevault.ign.c...0082_thumb.jpg

Bireme
    http://www.mandragore2.net/dico/lexi...grecque-gd.jpg
    Last edited by Constantii Falconius; May 30, 2007 at 02:58 AM.

Nation Name: Seleucid Empire
    Head of State:Seleucus I Nicator
    Region: central Anatolia, the Levant, Mesopotamia, Persia, Turkmenistan, Pamir and the Indus valley.
    Infantry: Armoured Hoplites,Silver Shield Legionaries, ( will have access to them only after Contact with Rome)
    Cavalry:Companion Calvary, Cataphratcs,War Elephants
    Ranged: Peltasts, Archers
    Siege Weapons: Onagers,Ballista
    Navy: Decere

Know god, no fear
    No god, Know fear

Space Wolves's Avatar Primicerius

Time to ressurect an old, old thread, and yes i wrote a very long post, including descriptions of the units, cause i was bored

Nation name: Imperium of Hiberland
    Head of state: Leman Russ I
    Region: Hibernia, and northern tip of scotland.
    Infantry: Light infantry
    -Quasi/Fanatical Warbands taught never to retreat, and to die where they stand, in the name of there god Russel the Wise. Armed with a spear and a shield.
    -Medium Infantry:
    Exotic Infantry, a kitbash of warriors, from differnt tribes, and other parts of the world, forced to fight in the name of there god, Russel the wise, brainwashed for months, these men, now ready to give there life in the name of there god, classified as medium infantry, as they are fanatical, and descently armed, and armoured, then there native counterparts.

heavy infantry:
    -Chosen Band, Those few blessed, by Russ, and survivng the tests, will now be part of the chosen band, armed in clad, with chain mail, armed with a sword, as well as a shield with a spiked boss on it, these warriors will never surrender and rather die, the shock charge from the soldiers would shatter most of the enemy's shields on first contact, and quickly slaying there enemies.

Fodder Band, Painted with a special paint blessed by there gods, wearing no armour, exception of a loincoth, these men are big brutes, able to crush things with there bare hands with ease, armed with 2 swords, or 2 axes, these men would make there enemy shutter in fear, as they will take alot of punishment, due to the fact, that they always take a narcotic that stems the pain they recieve. The only way to kill these soldiers out right is chopping the head off, losing alot of blood, or hurting vital organs.

Calvary-
    -Russel Calvary: Armed with a spear, wearing no armour, these men are considered, scouts, or light calvary, taught never to retreat, die where they stand, and the horses are trained to fight there enemy as well, biteing, or kicking.
    -Chosen calvary: Armed with a spear+sword, armoured clad with chainmail, and a helmet covering there face, taught never to surrender, nor retreat, there horses, taught to bite, kick, and bred from the fastest of horses

Ranged:
    -Slingers: no armour, armed with a sling, and a pouch of spiked balls, coated with a special liquid, that slowly constricts the muscle, of an unforunate victim should they get hit, easy prey for the slaughter. However they are not fanatical and will pee there pants when they know there screwed.

Siege weapons:
    -Onager, Found on a ship wreck with the flag of Imperia Romana, however it has been attempted to be replicated a great many time, but to no success. Only 1 Copy remains, so it is highly prized.
    Can be expanded, if it makes contact with civilizations that have this tech.

Navy:
    -Long boats- from rescent raiding's from the east, the technology, has been thus incorporated for use for the imperium, used to attack bigger ships in groups, and is used in raiding of villages, or other ships.
    -Quinquereme- The ship that was starned on the beaches of hiberland, along with the onager, the Quinquereme however has been dupilcated a number of times, though in few numbers, and used as a shock force, or a flagship.

20,284 Officers Lost in the Line of Duty as of 2010-12 this month- 124 this year
    Red: Suspect inflicted: Blue Accident
    Officer Christopher A Wilson: End of Watch 10/27/10: San Diego PD, CA
    Lt. Jose A Cordova Montaez: End of Watch 10/26/10: Pureto Rico PD
    Cpt. George Green: End of Watch 10/26/10: Oklahoma Highway PD
    Deputy Sheriff Odelle McDuffle Jr. 10/25/10: Liberty Country SD, Texas
    Officer John Abraham: End of Watch 10/25/10: Teaneck PD New Jersey
    Sgt. Timothy Prunty: End of Watch 10/24/10: Shreveport PD. Louisiana

Paul d's Avatar Praepositus

who is "Russel"? Russel Crowe? and how historically accurate is this?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast