Thread: Heroes of Might and Magic III: In the Wake of Gods

DrIstvaan's Avatar Artifex

Default Heroes of Might and Magic III: In the Wake of Gods

Heroes of might and magic III: In the wake of gods

Most HOMM lovers agree on this point: Heroes 3 went down with all those Chronicles, called „expansion packs”, but in truth only giving a minor number of new missions to play. There should have been something more made to be honestly called expansion. Well, some Russian fellows have done that (well, for Shadow of Death anyway), and they have done it in an absolutely nice manner: completely free! What we should have got as an expasion pack for money, we get it as a mod free of charge! This mod is called In the wake of gods. I know it’s not new, but I’d like to make more people know this masterpiece.
    Thus, this title is not a game in itself, „merely” a mod, but you will see from this review that it clearly deserves the name „Heroes 3 ½”, the other name by which this project is known.
    What this mod adds? Well, it’s waaay too much to make a complete list here (in fact, it’s too much to write a nearly-complete list as well… or a not-so-nearly-complete… you get the point). So, here I will only write about the most evident ones. These include…
    -New campaigns
    -New units
    -Units gain experience
    -Commanders
    -New artifacts
    -New adventure locations
    -The possibility of a completely new Town type
    -A better AI
    About the new campaigns. There is a nice number of them, and these all are really, but really fun to play. They use virtually all new aspects of WoG, and this gives extreme flexibility. There are many more types of quests than original H3 had (even though these were numerous enough themselves, not always „Eliminate all enemies”). Here come two exapmples of the new objectives. In the first level of the first campaign, at one point, you can’t proceed until you leave your „friend” (a unit of 1 peasant) at the fields for being a whiner. Well, you can try, but then you will face quite a number of Crusaders, which, with 1 peasant and 1 pikeman, will prove to be an impossible task. Another example, in the next mission you have to get a Grail, which is this time not buried under the Earth, but on the other side of some kind of a gigantic chessboard, composed of various terrain types. To trasverse this piece of earth, you have to make a vertical path consisting of only ONE terrain type. You can achieve this by interacting with the four „monks” right before the chessboard, and each one varies the current state of the board a bit in some way. But these are only two examples; there are many more interesting and unique objectives in the campaigns.
    The new units consist of two parts: there are some lower-level additions, with an old favorite, the Ghost among them, and the (nearly) all-powerful eight-level units. Yes, that’s right, you can have UBER versions of upgraded seventh-levels. You can acquire them in two ways: either at the portals especially made for them, only available on the adventure map, or (I prefer this) by checking the right script. Then, after being in the army of a visiting hero for one day (i.e. the hero does not leave the castle for one turn), all upgraded seventh-levels for which there is the building constructed in that town become eight-levels. For example, your hero stays in a Castle, which have Upgraded Portals of Glory built. The next turn, all his/her Archangels will become Supreme Archangels!
    To stay at the topic of units, I go on to tell you that there is a completely new level system for them. It means that they get experience from battles just like heroes do, and if they accumulate a certain amount, they go up a level, bringing them improved stats, and, at certain points, special abilities. For exaple, Crusaders at the fourth level of experience gain the Vampire Slayer ability, which makes them more powerful when fighting against Vampires/Vampire Lords. Also, units’ innate abilities become more powerful or frequent (ie. if a unit has 20% to cast something, at level 10 (the maximum) this chance will be 100%). Needless to say, eight-level units of experience level 10 are nigh unstoppable (with the exception of other top-ranked eight-levels). For example, Blood Dragons (eight-level Necropolis unit) at experience level 10 either kill their enemy with their bite, or (if they are extremely though) it is for sure they will be aged, and as an added bonus, the Dragons have a 100% chance of draining life from them (that’s a special ability of Blood Dragons). Well, if they were injured, of course. Naturally, to keep the balance, higher-level units need more experience than lower-level ones, and if you mix experienced troops with novices, they will have their experience mixed as well.
    To add even more to battlefield experience, Commanders are introduced. This is an interesting concept, as they act as a transition between Heroes 3 and 4 style heroes: they are not heroes (but every hero comes with one), they can go into battle just like normal units, but they are not ordinary units as well: there is only one of them for every hero, they level up with the hero, they can wield special commander-artifacts, and they have more stats than standard units, and more special abilities. In the beginning, they are rather weak and fragile, so one really needs to protect them, but later they can become extremely powerful, both stats-wise and in terms of abilities; the latter can be acquired by having Master level in two skills. Different combinations have different results, thus one can have quite unique Commanders.
    As for the artifacts, there is no tremendous number of new ones, but a large number of tweaks for the well-known ones. These include for example ones like the Pendant of Death, which gives 12 Zombies at the beginning of every week, but also ones like the Cards of Prophecy, which alters one of the four primary skills of the hero, with the effect ranging from -4 to +4.
    There are new and improved adventure locations as well. There is a nice number of completely new ones, such as the Alms House, where you can have a small boost if your hero is yet of low level, for example, but there are also old ones enhanced with new possibilities. For example, in adventure map Taverns you have a chance to gamble, or in Magic Wells you may find something good or bad. All these additions/modifications give various boni or opportunities to your hero.
    The completely new town is called „Neutral Town”, and it uses the background and the buildings of the Conflux, but it has a completely other set of units, ranging from Rogues to Rust Dragons. It can be activated by a script, and gives a nice touch to the game.
    The AI is indeed improved; you can say good-bye to the ever-cheating one of vanilla Heroes 3. This new one actually uses its possibilities, and only cheats on the two hardest levels.
    Like I’ve said, these are only a small portion of all the new features this great mod introduces. There are an immense number of them, and all these can be turned on or off, giving a virtually infinite customizability to the game. This is granted by a script system, which you can access when you start a new game. There are the scripts, sorted into 5 groups, and they can either be cheked or un-checked, or there are various options to choose from (for example in the case of AI units getting experience, where there are five levels, of which you can choose one). Once you are statisfied with your settings, you can even save it.
    Also, WoG has quite a nice humor. This ranges from funny touches such as comments from characters in the campaigns (for example, your „hero” in the very first one says something like „Mom would appreciate this” when you pick up a heap of gems) to outright hilariously absurd speeches in „Moster mutterings” (which appear when you attack a group of monsters, and are generated randomly, based upon certain schemes). I will cite an example: „So you’ve found us!” shout the Vampire Lords. „Well, if you don’t mind eating yak’s liver, we can take you to the Swordsman’s Windmill for lunch.” Weirdly, all they offer you is catnip, and they offer you a cubix rube as irrefutable proof. As you can see, these texts have no sense at all, but it is pure fun reading them!
    All in all, In the Wake of Gods is an extremely well-made mod-expansion to Heroes 3. Reading this review, you may think I am biased towards it. It is true, but it is not without a solid base! Try it and you will see J. I’ve been playing it for more than two and a half years, and haven’t yet got bored with it.
    You shouldn’t worry about the system specs required for the game; if you can run Heroes 3, it is safe to predict you can play WoG as well.
    Pros: lot of new stuff; great ideas; endless fun; virtually everything
    Cons: Ghost Behemoths are way too overpowered; it takes MUCH of your (free) time, making you say always „One more turn…”
    My rating: 98%
    You can acquire your free copy of In the wake of gods from http://www.strategyplanet.com/homm/wog
    NB: Before installing, you MUST set both „Standards and formats” and „Location” to either English (United States) and United States or Russian and Russia!
    NB2: You may only install it if you have either Shadow of Death or Heroes 3 Complete.
    Last edited by DrIstvaan; April 03, 2007 at 03:15 PM.

You may want to take a look at my small mod, Like Orange in Black Chocolate.
    Under the patronage of Silver Guard

Default Re: Heroes of Might and Magic III: In the wake of gods

Very ,very interesting !!! I wish I could give you rep for this tread ! Look ,buddy I'm downloading it ,but do you have some info on installation or it's easy enough ?

DrIstvaan's Avatar Artifex

Thanks for the compliment; it's good to see I could make at least one person download this great mod.
    Installation is quite easy (despite going through a number of steps of extracting), the only thing to pay special attention to is to switch the two fields I wrote about at the end of the review (if they aren't set to one od these options, that is).
    If you have any more questions about WoG, feel free to write here .
    P.S. I'm afraid I can't help with walkthrough-related questions... I've never got that immersed with the campaign, even tough it is so much fun. I've always enjoyed Random Map skirmishes more.
    Last edited by DrIstvaan; April 15, 2007 at 11:38 AM.

You may want to take a look at my small mod, Like Orange in Black Chocolate.
    Under the patronage of Silver Guard

I've installed it.Many mods ,here ,are harder to install then this one -yes they made united patch ,you can extract it from one not from eight as before. Now time to play ! Greetings!
    Last edited by Edelward; April 16, 2007 at 10:48 AM.

Zivica's Avatar Miles

Wow, great mod, tnx for review
    ''I say...**** chemistry.''
    I came, I saw, I left

iwant to download this game
    but i don`t know how to do that