Thread: Quick question from a not-quite-modder

Default Quick question from a not-quite-modder

All right, here goes. Let's see if I can't sound reasonably intelligent, despite the late hours and the crazy clowns pounding at my door...
    Hi! My name's Kaoru, and though I'm not a modder, I try. I don't really pour myself into anything, and I'm not looking to get involved in any projects - I'm content with the little things I do with my own games.

Anyhow, my question. The hidden resource 'metropolis' is obviously what controls the growth of settlements in DLV, right? So, theoretically, if one just went through and added this to all of the regions, they'd all be able to attain their maximum growth, right?

My question regards whether or not this would cause imbalance issues within the game. I mean, not strategic imbalance issues - just like, will my game flip out like a ninja and launch a Jihad against my computer if I do this?

(And before you think that's an unserious question, it's not. I once added a few extra men to a unit in the original Medieval - the violent technological response to this neccesitated the purchase of a new monitor.)

Obviously, this is a pretty tedious endeavor, but since every region has some sort of resources already, I figure I could do it in about an hour by figuring out all the resources and just setting up something to add the extra line ", metropolis," after it, with or without the last comma...

But, yeah. My question? Anyone?
    Thanks in advance.
    -Kaoru

EDIT: ...Incidentally, after a few more settlements, I have to wonder: Is there some way to disable the effect of the "metropolis" resource, so that all settlements can be upgraded fully once more? Yeah, I'm just starting to realize that even with 160+ words per minute, this isn't a job for quick typing, it's a very repetitive and time-consuming drudge.
    Last edited by Kaoru; April 01, 2007 at 11:32 PM.

Shadrach's Avatar Miles

Default Re: Quick question from a not-quite-modder

Hi Kaoru, and welcome!
    I really don't know what effect this would have on the game, sorry - but I'd like to state that Ninjas don't launch Jihad's, they flip out and kill people ALL THE TIME.

Seriously, Im sure a good editor (ultraedit!) that can replace text in multiple files would do the trick, as long as you know what to search for, to add the extra 'metropolis'. Just make sure you do a backup first

Hope the clowns are gone now btw,
    -S

The Danes, I swear, with their half arsed attempts at a 'war'. You gotta give it to 'em, they just dont stop trying. Listen, I've fought the Timurids, ever heard of them? Elephants with cannons on their backs. Yea, Timurids. You guys are like kids on tricycles compared to them. -REZ

mrcrusty's Avatar Primicerius

I dont think it would cause any issues since Vanilla doesnt use the City Restrictions and it works fine...

Civis

Easier than adding metropolis to all the cities is just to go and remove it from the different levels of walls in your EDB file.

It won't cause your game to flip out but it will make a game that is intended to challenge players who like vh/vh quite a bit easier.

@kaoru
    delete the metropolis entries in the file export_descr_buildings.txt, is much easier

repman

BareBonesWars 8.1 for RTW 1.5
    Integration Mod which combines unique strategic challenges due to a 4 Season scripted campaign from 280 BC - 180 AD on several big/small maps and with an ruthless AI on the battlefield.
    Deus lo Vult DLV 6.2 for MTW II Kingdoms
    Norway+Ireland+Flanders+Kiev+Lithuania+Teutonic_Order+Armenia+Crusader+Georgia,1y2t script, army field costs, Ultimate AI 1.6, big map, military career, economic system, age simulation, heraldic system, new factions, garrison script, Crowns + Swords, Trait bugfixer, religion dependent recruiting, ancillary enhancements, darth battle mechanics

Default You guys rock!

Gott sie Danke!
    Thank you for the quick reply, and the expedient solution. Although I always prefer to have my opponent's map-AI set to "Very Hard", I'm not quite a "Very Hard"-level battlemap-sort yet, and I do need a little extra kick to keep my armies competitive. Being able to field advanced-level troops from any settlement - after a certain period of time, of course - is just the ticket.
    Appreciate the help, guys!
    -Kaoru